Hiring Freeze

DOB2RTO

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's now official that the TA has issued a hiring freeze. NY1:

With plans for an MTA bailout still up in the air in Albany, agency officials have implemented a hiring freeze in preparation for a worst-case scenario that already includes increased fares and citywide service cuts. NY1's Bobby Cuza filed the following report.

So just how bad is the financial picture at the MTA? So bad, the agency says it's stopped spending money wherever possible, imposing an across-the-board hiring freeze.

"The executive director and CEO has instructed each of the agency presidents to have a hard hiring freeze, which means unless it's an absolute emergency, no slot should be filled," said MTA Spokesman Jeremy Soffin.

In a two-page memo released earlier this week, MTA head Elliot Lee Sander also warned agency presidents they cannot assume Albany will come to the rescue.

The memo even addressed expenses such as office supplies.

"If you have to even think about it, don't do it. You should only make a purchase if it [is] absolutely essential to the operation and safety of the MTA," said Sander.

Of course, the agency is also planning to raise fares and cut service beginning next month. But thanks to the sputtering economy, it says even that won't be enough to close its budget gap without help from Albany.

On Monday, the MTA will forecast its budget, and it's expected that a projected budget deficit of $1.2 billion could balloon to $2 billion by the end of the year.

"As early as the middle of or late next week, we could start to talk about the ways in which we can fill that gap, which will have to be either additional fare increases or service cuts or a combination of both," said Soffin.

In the meantime, the Democratic-controlled State Senate released a draft bill Wednesday detailing its own MTA rescue plan, which includes a payroll tax, a dollar surcharge on taxi rides, and various other vehicle fees.

Majority leader Malcolm Smith has said he has the 32 votes needed to pass it, but some senate Republicans whose support may be needed aren't on board.

"We're not at the table. You can't come out and say, 'This is it. Vote for it.' We've got to be at the table. And we've got to be part of the decision process," said Brooklyn Senator Martin Golden.

The Senate leadership said it anticipates the bill will be formally introduced later this week, with a vote possible sometime next week.

If the plan manages to pass, the State Assembly will then have to take up the issue

From the New York Daily News...

BY Pete Donohue

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, April 23rd 2009

The MTA slammed the brakes on all hiring and nonessential spending as its budget gap balloons and Albany fails to come to the rescue.

Under an order Metropolitan Transportation Authority CEO Elliot Sander issued Tuesday, vacant positions can't be filled even if okayed in the budget adopted in December.

The budget trims about 3,000 positions and slashes subway, bus and commuter train service.

The MTA's projected 2009 deficit of $1.2 billion has grown by hundreds of millions of dollars this year as tax revenues plummet.

Gov. Paterson and the Legislature haven't agreed on a bailout for the MTA, which also plans to raise fares up to 30% in late May.

"We must continue to operate under the assumption that we will need to solve our financial problems entirely on our own," Sander wrote to agency heads.

The Daily News, meanwhile, has learned that state Senate Majority Leader Malcolm Smith (D-Queens) has failed to appoint arepresentative to a powerful state board with MTA oversight authority. The replacement is for Republican Sen. John Flanagan onthe Capital Program Review Board, a slot that went to Democrats after they took control of theSenate in November.

The panel must unanimously approve the MTA's five-year capital program and amendments before the authority can move forward with individual projects by signing contracts and spending money.

A Smith spokesman said he's been focusing on the bailout.

The MTA has waited for Smith to appoint a replacement "as a courtesy" before submitting an amended plan, an MTA spokesman said.

Projects now facing delays include the renovation of the Mott Ave. station in Smith's district.

hey, the list is 3-4 years anyway. i dont think the recession is gonna last that long. those who took the LAST test are facing the problem. they're gonna get skipped when their list expires and when our list comes out the MTA is gonna be so bone dry that they have to hire a whole bunch of us! thats my story and im sticking with it

A tight squeeze is on at the MTA -- and not just in crowded subway cars.

Drastic "hard freezes" on hiring and spending were ordered at the cash-strapped agency in an effort to conserve cash and minimize possible service cuts, CEO Elliot Sander said in a memo to top officials.

MTA bosses are under strict directives to halt hiring, cap overtime, make use of "excess employees" and make only "essential" purchases, he wrote in the memo released yesterday.

"If you have to even think about it, don't do it," Sander said about new purchases, adding that any new hires or acquisitions should be "essential to the operation and safety of the MTA."

The directives won't immediately affect subway, bus and commuter rail service, officials said.

Transit watchdogs said the MTA had little choice.

"I'd rather see them have the money around to maintain service than have a couple of cases of paper towels back in the warehouse," said Bill Henderson, head of the Permanent Citizens Advisory Committee to the MTA.

The agency needs the new round of cost-cutting because this year it's already $123 million behind on anticipated real-estate tax revenue and $200 million short on state tax revenues.

That's on top of its $1.2 billion budget gap that has brought about doomsday fare hikes and service cuts scheduled for May 31 if the state Legislature doesn't come up with new tax revenue for the regional authority.

"The MTA and its agencies must continue to do everything possible to conserve cash," Sander wrote.

Next Wednesday, the MTA board will discuss what else has to be done to close the gap, said spokesman Jeremy Soffin.

A second round of fare hikes and service cuts hasn't been ruled out.

The MTA "is facing deficits for the remainder of the year and beyond as a direct result" of the tanking economy, Sander wrote.

Albany lawmakers are deadlocked on a variety of bailout plans that could fill the $1.2 billion gap. So far, each plan has faced fatal opposition in the Senate.

"It's certainly not going to be any better any time soon and it looks like it's going to get worse without any commitments from Albany," Henderson said.

"I don't think they have any choice."

MTA officials shouldn't assume that stalling legislators will rescue the agency, Sander said.

"To date this has not happened; and we cannot assume that it will," he wrote. "We must continue to operate under the assumption that we will need to solve our financial problems entirely on our own."

Most departments have cut administrative costs by 5 percent in the latest budget, Soffin said, and the New York City Transit division cut 7.5 percent.

Jobs have been eliminated through attrition, but there haven't been managerial layoffs, Soffin said.

MTA chief Elliot Sander's days could be numbered, and a leading candidate for his job is a close aide to Gov. Paterson who is a former top transit executive, sources told The Post.

Paterson's senior adviser, Marc Shaw, could replace Sander after state lawmakers decide how or if to fix the agency's $1.2 billion budget gap and reorganize its management, the sources said.

Sander, who took the helm at the MTA in 2007, would be entitled to collect one year's severance - a cool $343,000, a source said.

An MTA spokesman had no comment.

This guy Sander looks like a weasel,it is time for him to resign. He was appointed by his buddy Spitzer,go figure. This is an article from last month in the NY Post.

If Paterson appoints a new MTA chief they won't have the job for very long because there is no way that this incompetent fool Paterson will keep the job that he fell into. The new governor will certainly appoint there own person for the MTA. That job is always a "favor" job given to friends as a reward.

no matter what they say they still have to hire drivers due to retirements and terminations and resignations to keep running if they didnt they would pay out an enormous amout of overtime to the drivers that are already working and they dont wont to payout overtime so they just hire new drivers much cheaper;)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

no matter what they say they still have to hire drivers due to retirements and terminations and resignations to keep running if they didnt they would pay out an enormous amout of overtime to the drivers that are already working and they dont wont to payout overtime so they just hire new drivers much cheaper;)

Actually it is alot cheaper for the TA to pay overtime than to hire new employees. New employees make just about the same money as veterans plus the TA has to pay for training, uniforms, medical benefits, and other benefits.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Actually it is alot cheaper for the TA to pay overtime than to hire new employees. New employees make just about the same money as veterans plus the TA has to pay for training, uniforms, medical benefits, and other benefits.

Doesn't a veteran B/O make double that of a new B/O? 60k+ yr vs 30k+ yr. $18.84 hr-$26.92hr. That reasoning makes no sense at all.

Doesn't a veteran B/O make double that of a new B/O? 60k+ yr vs 30k+ yr. $18.84 hr-$26.92hr. That reasoning makes no sense at all.

They make a little less for a short amount of time. B/O's top pay is less than 60k!

Locomotion69. I was told that they may call me with in a month or so from now. TA, DCAS said he couldn't tell me for sure as to a date and time. But most likely It will be in June. They just Restored my list # from 5025. Are you waiting to be called from Exam 5025 or 8006.Or are you already on the road.

I agree with u about them having to hire more B/O & T/O. "Due to retirements and terminations and resignations to keep running. " But also look at the amount of people that are moving into New York. Look at all the new buildings they are putting up in manhattan. It has to be more then a hundred for people to live in. And Look at BKLYN. Down Town has more then 40 new tall buildings. most of them have 30 to 40 floors. Still with more buildings going up. MTA will have to step it up. Plus I think they are still going to put a stadium and more stores Down Town Bklyn. Which will bring more people there from all over. And the changes to the Bk, navy yard. These are all facts. Thousands are moving into manhattan & Bklyn.

If they look at the facts. They can close the money gap if they handle the funds right. DUH!!!. Just think about it. no body will be able to get any were with all those people driving their cars in these areas. What a hot mess that would turn out to be if they cut B/O & T/O. And not hiremore to come in. OOO man It would be sheer madness on the streets of New York if they don't. Now! that is something no one can afford to see happen.

Locomotion69. I was told that they may call me with in a month or so from now. TA, DCAS said he couldn't tell me for sure as to a date and time. But most likely It will be in June. They just Restored my list # from 5025. Are you waiting to be called from Exam 5025 or 8006.Or are you already on the road.

I agree with u about them having to hire more B/O & T/O. "Due to retirements and terminations and resignations to keep running. " But also look at the amount of people that are moving into New York. Look at all the new buildings they are putting up in manhattan. It has to be more then a hundred for people to live in. And Look at BKLYN. Down Town has more then 40 new tall buildings. most of them have 30 to 40 floors. Still with more buildings going up. MTA will have to step it up. Plus I think they are still going to put a stadium and more stores Down Town Bklyn. Which will bring more people there from all over. And the changes to the Bk, navy yard. These are all facts. Thousands are moving into manhattan & Bklyn.

If they look at the facts. They can close the money gap if they handle the funds right. DUH!!!. Just think about it. no body will be able to get any were with all those people driving their cars in these areas. What a hot mess that would turn out to be if they cut B/O & T/O. And not hiremore to come in. OOO man It would be sheer madness on the streets of New York if they don't. Now! that is something no one can afford to see happen.

Just read on the other thread that some from 8006 got called for BOSS, what about 5025 getting called for drug/medical?

i got to take the boss exam tues may19 its only the begining so i would say 1 year or more after boss:eek:

What about other people on list 5025 who have already completed the BOSS. My husband completed BOSS and has not heard anything else since last year when hiring stopped. Anyone else hear anything off of the 5025...not the 8006?

the average bus drivers salary after 3 years at top pay with holidays and overtime can be around 70,000-80,000 a yr or more it is capped at i think at 108,000 a yr i think not sure but it is somewhere around that i know that much.but they are cutting back on overtime for now until this mess clears up this crisis wont be here to stay everything will go back to normal in time .

I could have sworn that I read a couple of years ago that the average pay for a NYCTA B/O was 62k yr,this is with ot of course.

lovelyday:I am on the #8006 list.

T/O pay is higher than B/O's that's why you can PROMOTE from B/O to T/O and T/O pay is only 59k/ a year.

T/O pay is higher than B/O's that's why you can PROMOTE from B/O to T/O and T/O pay is only 59k/ a year.

That is correct..base pay only. I read on another thread that the T/O roster is around 3,500. Now I see why it takes forever to gain seniority(slowest moving title as they say).

So it makes more sense to go from a B/O to a T/O rather than from a B/O to a surface or line dispatcher? since they start at 59k yr also but I heard no more ot for now.

MaBstoa,MTA Bus and TA bus must have around 10,000 B/O's I guess.

Quick question Jah,Are there more C/O's then T/O's or is it about the same?

Archived