Hiring Freeze

DOB2RTO

That is correct..base pay only. I read on another thread that the T/O roster is around 3,500. Now I see why it takes forever to gain seniority(slowest moving title as they say).

So it makes more sense to go from a B/O to a T/O rather than from a B/O to a surface or line dispatcher? since they start at 59k yr also but I heard no more ot for now.

MaBstoa,MTA Bus and TA bus must have around 10,000 B/O's I guess.

Quick question Jah,Are there more C/O's then T/O's or is it about the same?

Pretty sure the different bus divisions have separate seniority rosters. I only count base pay when comparing because overtime can't be assumed.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i made around 46k in my 1st year as B/O, without doing 1 day of OT. however, we all get overtime that build into the run. let's say the run today i get paid 10 hours, that means i get 2 hours extra pay today. that's OT that's build in, you have no choice. however, the OT that i didn't do for even 1 day is for RDO. people make more money doing OT on the regular day off. they said don't do RDO OT in probation, that's why i didn't do it. during the time, i was in 'extra list' 3 out of 4 pick. 'extra list' makes a little more money. so if you pick a run during all 4 pick, probably gonna make less than 46k. again, making 46k 1st year is pretty good now a day :(

i made around 46k in my 1st year as B/O, without doing 1 day of OT. however, we all get overtime that build into the run. let's say the run today i get paid 10 hours, that means i get 2 hours extra pay today. that's OT that's build in, you have no choice. however, the OT that i didn't do for even 1 day is for RDO. people make more money doing OT on the regular day off. they said don't do RDO OT in probation, that's why i didn't do it. during the time, i was in 'extra list' 3 out of 4 pick. 'extra list' makes a little more money. so if you pick a run during all 4 pick, probably gonna make less than 46k. again, making 46k 1st year is pretty good now a day ;)

I agree,46k for your 1st year is very good. You should make over 50k on your 2nd yr. Can you elaborate why they suggest a probie shouldn't work RDO's?

Are your 2 days off during the week? are they back to back or spread out? So O/T is optional unless it is built into the run. So for example on a 10 hr run,how long are your breaks? swing shifts must suck.

I agree,46k for your 1st year is very good. You should make over 50k on your 2nd yr. Can you elaborate why they suggest a probie shouldn't work RDO's?

They suggest that all operating personell shouldn't work RDO's while on probation. This is because it is another oportunity for something to go wrong and you could easily get fired for any little thing on probation. They don't even need a reason while your probation to fire you if they want to.

Even I never took a sick day while on probation in the TA, and I use all of my sick time.

They suggest that all operating personell shouldn't work RDO's while on probation. This is because it is another oportunity for something to go wrong and you could easily get fired for any little thing on probation. They don't even need a reason while your probation to fire you if they want to.

Even I never took a sick day while on probation in the TA, and I use all of my sick time.

What is RDO?

Thanks

Are your 2 days off during the week? are they back to back or spread out? So O/T is optional unless it is built into the run. So for example on a 10 hr run,how long are your breaks? swing shifts must suck.

Jah answered your 1st question.

yes, my day off are during the week. it's back to back. don't even think about having fri-sat, sat-sun, sun-mon off in at least 5 years. and we have late work only. i mean really late.

it really depends on each run. every run is different. u might get 35 mins swing during a 10 hrs run. or u can get a 6 hrs swing on a 10 hrs 40 mins run on express route(MCI)

I used to work at a job where if you refused Reg OT or working on your day off theyll let you go on your probation, That job only had 2 shifts so they were trying to condition you to work long hours.

Jah answered your 1st question.

yes, my day off are during the week. it's back to back. don't even think about having fri-sat, sat-sun, sun-mon off in at least 5 years. and we have late work only. i mean really late.

it really depends on each run. every run is different. u might get 35 mins swing during a 10 hrs run. or u can get a 6 hrs swing on a 10 hrs 40 mins run on express route(MCI)

How does that work on the express routes? When you say 40 min run is that 40 minutes roundtrip and what do you do during the 6 hour break.

I used to work at a job where if you refused Reg OT or working on your day off theyll let you go on your probation, That job only had 2 shifts so they were trying to condition you to work long hours.

There are tons of guys that will do almost anything for overtime so the days of mandatory RDO's have been over for alot of years. But even when they did have them I never heard of anyone on probation getting assigned one.

I have never worked an RDO in my career. It's not that I can't use the money because I really can, but I find it more important to raise my kids and have a life outside of work.

Console says that a lot,icc brake for those who have never heard of that term before means the parking brake of the bus. Bus goes out of service if the parking brake cable is broken.

A B/O was doing a relief in the city and called console to tell them that he didn't know how to operate a hybrid bus,since he was never trained on it. Are hybrids more difficult to drive or easier than regular buses?

i know about the mci express runs and this time around i will pick a depot that has express runs mci buses thats what i want to do

MCI buses look like coach buses,they must be more comfortable at $400,000 a bus. I can see why you would want to do express runs but a 3-6 hr swing doesn't make it worthwhile. Maybe it is just me but I don't want to spend more time at the depot,etc then I really have to. I rather work 8,9,10 hr runs straight.

How does that work on the express routes? When you say 40 min run is that 40 minutes roundtrip and what do you do during the 6 hour break.

i said the run paid 10hrs and 40mins. for example, you do 2 round trips in the morning, then swing for 6 hrs, then do 1 more round trip at night. the time could be 7am - 7pm, but you get paid 10 hurs 40 mins.

you can do whatever you want in your swing, go back home to sleep or go watch a movie.

Console says that a lot,icc brake for those who have never heard of that term before means the parking brake of the bus. Bus goes out of service if the parking brake cable is broken.

A B/O was doing a relief in the city and called console to tell them that he didn't know how to operate a hybrid bus,since he was never trained on it. Are hybrids more difficult to drive or easier than regular buses?

IMO, hybrids are easier. because of the mirror. you will see alot more from the hybrids' mirror than RTS. beside that, i love driving the new orion 7. at the end of the day, you won't feel tired, because using brake, gas, steering, door switch are effortless. everything is so smooth. but you will feel tired after driving the RTS. it's like a total body workout :cool:

MCI buses look like coach buses,they must be more comfortable at $400,000 a bus. I can see why you would want to do express runs but a 3-6 hr swing doesn't make it worthwhile. Maybe it is just me but I don't want to spend more time at the depot,etc then I really have to. I rather work 8,9,10 hr runs straight.

i love the long swing, go back home and sleep while getting paid is priceless;)

they dont have that for T/Os?

No T/O don't have swing shifts. Even if a T/O has a job built similiar to a shift like that they are on WAA(work as assigned) during the down time so they have to be where the T/D can easily find them and give them MORE work. B/O can do what ever they want on there free time.

Well the RTS buses are an endangered species. Not sure if they still use them for training or they use the Orions. From the outside the RTS looks like an easier bus to drive,but I have never been behind the wheel of one. I like the Orion VII's.

**ALERT** **Missing Poster from this forum**Chris Frusci..last seen driving an Xpress bus on Victory Blvd in Staten Island. He is not considered dangerous but if spotted please tell him to post on here.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

Well the RTS buses are an endangered species. Not sure if they still use them for training or they use the Orions. From the outside the RTS looks like an easier bus to drive,but I have never been behind the wheel of one. I like the Orion VII's.

**ALERT** **Missing Poster from this forum**Chris Frusci..last seen driving an Xpress bus on Victory Blvd in Staten Island. He is not considered dangerous but if spotted please tell him to post on here.

Hey Loco,

Usually I'm running for my life when I see Chris driving..

;)

J/K. Chris, hope all is well

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

Hey Loco,

Usually I'm running for my life when I see Chris driving..

;)

J/K. Chris, hope all is well

Haha,well he is off probation....where is wbsguy? He told me his list number is #170,he didn't sound too interested,he has a great list number,should be in either of the first 2 classes of the #8006 list.

Locomotion69 :tup: I agree. I know He will get a kick out of that.

• 2 weeks later...
I see all of these posts about Exam 8006. What about 2801 and 2901?

Bee,

Google those test #'s. It's how I found the 8006 information and CDL test related forums. If it's not googled, it's probably not in the forums...

Hope that helps. I did see some postings...

You can google anything, even yourself. i was a major league pitcher in the 1800's. I look great for almost 200 yrs old. :P

Archived