Hiring Freeze

DOB2RTO

well the only way to make some money for them is look at the borough were people are beating the fare like staten island i see people get on and not pay and theres no cop they should put a cop on every bus depending which bus route has the most fare beaters and write them 100 dollar summons and that pisses me off when people don`t pay and i say 2 some of them because of all of u fare beater our fare is going up. they should stop and look closely the mta and it is illegal to fare beat that`s a 100 dollar summons think how much money they can make.

speaking of fare beaters, I was on the q8 leaving the Jamaica Ave depot and the bus driver went vigilante on anybody that did not pay their fare. It was soo funny this huge lady with 5 kids and an adult friend got on the bus and only had 3 fares out of five, He told her he was not moving the bus until she paid the fares(lol).She yelled back I'm getting my change together then waited for the bus to pull into the stop and then decided to put all of her nickels in the fare box holding up the line.The 2nd person got on the bus and her card didnt work she gave him some sob story and walked to the back. He drove about 2 stops then stopped the bus at a redlight and walked all the way to the back of the crowded bus and repossed her metro card(can B/o do that?). Before we even got to the 6th stop by the air train another girl swiped and it didnt have any money and she stood by him for a second like she was getting change and then walked all the way to the back. Got her change ready and she decided the bus was too crowded to go back up and pay. he stopped the bus walked all the way to the back and told her she had to pay. She said "i was but the bus is to crowded" He took of his stunner shades and said"lady thats not my problem Who told u to walk all the way to the back of the bus." I'm not moving this bus until you pay.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

speaking of fare beaters, I was on the q8 leaving the Jamaica Ave depot and the bus driver went vigilante on anybody that did not pay their fare. It was soo funny this huge lady with 5 kids and an adult friend got on the bus and only had 3 fares out of five, He told her he was not moving the bus until she paid the fares(lol).She yelled back I'm getting my change together then waited for the bus to pull into the stop and then decided to put all of her nickels in the fare box holding up the line.The 2nd person got on the bus and her card didnt work she gave him some sob story and walked to the back. He drove about 2 stops then stopped the bus at a redlight and walked all the way to the back of the crowded bus and repossed her metro card(can B/o do that?). Before we even got to the 6th stop by the air train another girl swiped and it didnt have any money and she stood by him for a second like she was getting change and then walked all the way to the back. Got her change ready and she decided the bus was too crowded to go back up and pay. he stopped the bus walked all the way to the back and told her she had to pay. She said "i was but the bus is to crowded" He took of his stunner shades and said"lady thats not my problem Who told u to walk all the way to the back of the bus." I'm not moving this bus until you pay.
Yeah people need to stop trying to avoid the fare... I wish more drivers were like this.

well i here that from every driver when u let the person on u say fare is 2 dollars and if they don`t pay let them go that`s what the drivers tell me 2 say if i have this job when i get it and i`m off probation after one year i`ll say 2 the passenger pay the fare or i`m not moving and i get pissed at people that don`t pay the fare that`s y the fare is going up. if people payed the fare all of them it would be at a dollar:mad:

i have fare beaters on my bus everyday. i mean every single trip, there must be atleast 1 to 2 of them. gotta give them credit tho, they came up with new stories everytime. remember 1 guy got on from coney island hospital, he was leaning toward the farebox and said 'i just got out of hospital you know':confused:

I remember some B/O in the past refused to pull out from the stop til the person paid. Now with the pressure of having drivers being on-time at certain stops made them less likely to challenge those fare beaters so they don't get written-up.

If a B/O disputes a fare with a customer, and supervision is on board undercover, that driver will get a re-instruction....

If a B/O disputes the fare with a customer, and gets assaulted, and it is found out the assault happened due to the fare dispute, that driver will have a heck of a time getting, 1-2 years paid leave. Their isn't to much the union can do for them either. The union says, "don't dispute the fare", also.....

Understand something. Seeing a driver do this may look all good, and you might agree with drivers who do this, cause you all see it as if more do this, fares won't go up, as you all keep paying for farebeats, when the fares go up, and others still don't pay. It cost you still yet, as the MTA has to pay 2 drivers to do the same job at the same time. One is on the bus actually working, the other is at home getting paid the same rate........MTA doesn't want to pay an assaulted driver (who causes their own assault) to sit home for 1-2 years. The union wants you to go home at night. For me I didn't care if one paid or didn't. I didn't need to be shot or stabbed in at a place I hated working. "Don't hold up the line", is all I would say to them.......That means keep walking and have a seat........

B/Os don't get written up for being late. If you are following the rules, you actually suppose to be late......You get written up for being to early.........

If a B/O disputes a fare with a customer, and supervision is on board undercover, that driver will get a re-instruction....

If a B/O disputes the fare with a customer, and gets assaulted, and it is found out the assault happened due to the fare dispute, that driver will have a heck of a time getting, 1-2 years paid leave. Their isn't to much the union can do for them either. The union says, "don't dispute the fare", also.....

Understand something. Seeing a driver do this may look all good, and you might agree with drivers who do this, cause you all see it as if more do this, fares won't go up, as you all keep paying for farebeats, when the fares go up, and others still don't pay. It cost you still yet, as the MTA has to pay 2 drivers to do the same job at the same time. One is on the bus actually working, the other is at home getting paid the same rate........MTA doesn't want to pay an assaulted driver (who causes their own assault) to sit home for 1-2 years. The union wants you to go home at night. For me I didn't care if one paid or didn't. I didn't need to be shot or stabbed in at a place I hated working. "Don't hold up the line", is all I would say to them.......That means keep walking and have a seat........

B/Os don't get written up for being late. If you are following the rules, you actually suppose to be late......You get written up for being to early.........

Exactly,it's not like you own the bus or something. Let it go. They pay you to drive,you are a bus operator,not a policeman. It just isn't worth getting angry about.

IGOR:$2.00 one way is cheap,this is 2008,not 1983. Nothing costs $1.00. The price of gasoline is something to complain about and not the subway/bus fares. Fares only cover about 1/3 of the operating costs. Fare beaters are not the main reason for a fare increase.

well about gas you do have a point Locomotion69 but when i get on bus some people that don`t pay me i don`t care but the other people give that person a dirty look so if they wanna raise the fare they can do it but they should look for options were they can make money on the side before raiseing the fare like fare beaters it`s 100 dollar fine now but if i`m the driver and a person get`s on the bus with some change or not i`ll just say don`t worry about or put what ever u got.

Yup...I actually talked to an ex-B/O earlier this week about this. His comment was that the driver's only responsibility is to say something to the effect of "the fare is $2" and the person is free to walk on for free, or leave and go get money to pay the fare. If they walk on, he just pushes the F5(?) button on the farebox to signal a farebeat and then it's MTA's problem not his...

That's what I been told, sounds like a reasonble way to go about teh problem..

if i was one of the board members of the mta i would look ways to make money for the mta rather then raiseing the fare but wow that even better llike a torando series f1,2,3,4,5 lol but just press f5 wow that`s really better then dealing with the customer ur salf

if i was one of the board members of the mta i would look ways to make money for the mta rather then raiseing the fare but wow that even better llike a torando series f1,2,3,4,5 lol but just press f5 wow that`s really better then dealing with the customer ur salf

I'm going to say something I said before. MTA doesn't care if they pay or not. They do care that you tally the person, because ridership is what determines how much money MTA gets. Pressing F5 counts that person. If no operator pressed that button, but kept getting farebeats, you would have less service, with more crowded buses. Why? Because the actual ridership number isn't being reflected, by not counting the farebeats. So in a way, farebeats are a cancerous tumor on MTA a$$, but in a way they save the riderships a$$, because them being counted, lets MTA show our politicians true ridership numbers. Farebeats do count as ridership numbers, and MTA makes no distinction between fare paying and non fare paying. They just want to know how many rode the buses, so they have an asset to ask for a huge amount of money from the state, and why they need it. Ridership numbers gets this......

Hope this didn't confuse anyone....

I'm going to say something I said before. MTA doesn't care if they pay or not. They do care that you tally the person, because ridership is what determines how much money MTA gets. Pressing F5 counts that person. If no operator pressed that button, but kept getting farebeats, you would have less service, with more crowded buses. Why? Because the actual ridership number isn't being reflected, by not counting the farebeats. So in a way, farebeats are a cancerous tumor on MTA a$$, but in a way they save the riderships a$$, because them being counted, lets MTA show our politicians true ridership numbers. Farebeats do count as ridership numbers, and MTA makes no distinction between fare paying and non fare paying. They just want to know how many rode the buses, so they have an asset to ask for a huge amount of money from the state, and why they need it. Ridership numbers gets this......

Hope this didn't confuse anyone....

Fully understood. I was mistaken before about 1/3 of any mass transit system revenue coming from fares,it is a lot more at the MTA,If I remember correctly it is around 72%.

Ok,so when the farebox get jammed,stops working. I know you said before let them ride for free. What does the bus operator do then? pen and paper?

Ok,so when the farebox get jammed,stops working. I know you said before let them ride for free. What does the bus operator do then? pen and paper?

Absolutely nothing but drive the bus. If the farebox is down, you just don't/can't tally the amount of people getting on......

Absolutely nothing but drive the bus. If the farebox is down, you just don't/can't tally the amount of people getting on......
What's funny is when people ask for transfers because they see they don't have to pay for this ride due to the farebox being broken...They ask wether the driver fixed it or not. B)

What's funny is when people ask for transfers because they see they don't have to pay for this ride due to the farebox being broken...They ask wether the driver fixed it or not. B)

That is when I just look at them, and ask them "how do I suppose to give you one, if the farebox is down???"......

You truly deal with stupidity on that job. I don't miss it at all, not one bit........

That is when I just look at them, and ask them "how do I suppose to give you one, if the farebox is down???"......

You truly deal with stupidity on that job. I don't miss it at all, not one bit........

Haha,one doesn't realize that there are so many stupid people out there until they work with the public.

Wait till you see how many stupid people are underground lol.

I remember on the (C) I think it was 96th street going Northbound the turnstile is right by the Conductors position and this guy had jumped it as soon as I finished saying Stand clear of the closing doors. He tried to run into the front section of my train I closed that side first then the back real quick told him next time to pay his fare and we left he wasn't too happy and the Station Clerk was laughing his ass off at him.

Sucks that the B/O cant dispute someone who beats the fare I wish there were more cops riding buses and trains cause this city wouldn't be so griped for money as it is now if they were all on the trains and buses.

Wait till you see how many stupid people are underground lol.

That's your career to see down/way up there. Mines is to move, brake, stop, and assist you with anything you need, except money of course........B):D:D......

That's your career to see down/way up there. Mines is to move, brake, stop, and assist you with anything you need, except money of course........B):D:D......

LOL reminds me of an old lady I saw a few years back get on, have wrong change, and ask the B/O if he had a nickel. I think he said "I don't do that" The whole bus was ROARING

i was told to call DCAS to place my name back on the list. i went to dcas office and reinstated my name on the list back around the first week of July. The guy told me that when i recieve a letter in the mail about my listing number, that will mean MTA had asked for the list again. Which means they probably will start calling soon. i think the freeze is supposed to end around the first of september. anyone else heard anything?

Archived