Hiring Freeze

DOB2RTO

At the moment, the freeze is still in effect and 180 Livingston is still uncertain when it will be lifted. There's a small chance that it could be lifted by late September at the earliest. I think it will be a while longer than that.

I just don't get it, if they're not hiring, then why state that they are? Why do they do this to people? Why place the notice out there? There are people like myself that are in need of a job and yet hopes are so out of reach.

At the same time, I don't know what to do. Wait or go forth? If I get something in the meanwhile and I tend to like it and want to stay with it, and then they decide to call, then what? If I don't, then I can be waiting a long time. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the moment, the freeze is still in effect and 180 Livingston is still uncertain when it will be lifted. There's a small chance that it could be lifted by late September at the earliest. I think it will be a while longer than that.

I just don't get it, if they're not hiring, then why state that they are? Why do they do this to people? Why place the notice out there? There are people like myself that are in need of a job and yet hopes are so out of reach.

At the same time, I don't know what to do. Wait or go forth? If I get something in the meanwhile and I tend to like it and want to stay with it, and then they decide to call, then what? If I don't, then I can be waiting a long time. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

So what was the reason for giving the bus operator exam back in April then? Source of revenue? The current list from the exam back in 2006 is far from finished,add the other list(Mabstoa) which they have not finished as well.

There was a rumor that if you want a job,go down to 180 Livingston St,fill out an application,get interviewed,get hired. These "exams" are just a money maker. Any truth to this?

I thought hiring freeze was for 60 days? When did it start?

well i just took my cdl class b permit i took it 1 by 1 i took air brakes. i passed air brakes now i need passenger endoursment and genaral knowledge so i wanna have a lincese as soon as i can i`m hammering my salf 2 get it

Air brake and passenger was easy for me,the hardest one is the general knowledge(50 questions on it). I failed it the first time,passed the 2nd time.

If taking 1 test at a time works best for you,more power to you. I took them all on one day,failed one of them so I had to go back to the DMV a second time. You will eventually have to go back in person to the DMV once you pass your CDL road test to amend your license.

oh i see once i go there and do that i get my lincese what r the steps there

You are in the process of getting your CDL permit,once you get your permit,then you can look for a driving school,once there they will train you and set up a road test appointment.

I went to Northside driving school in Ridgewood,Queens. I paid $850.00 for 10(1hr)lessons+road test appointment. I failed my first road test in maspeth,passed the 2nd time in Red Hook a few weeks later.

I strongly advise you to go through a driving school if you have never driven a bus before. There is a lot to know for the pretrip. Driving the school bus isn't that hard,parallel parking is at first but you will improve as you get more time beind the wheel.

Overall it took me a little over 4 months from when I went to take the written permit tests to passing the road test to get my CDL B. I wasn't in a rush though. My CDL B license has 3 endorsements(NPS) with no restrictions.(N)is tank,you don't need that,I got that because it is needed for NYC Sanitation Dept.

• 3 weeks later...

I may have posted this before but the hiring freeze does not effect Conductors , Train Operators , Bus Operators and Promotions for Tower Operator and supervisor Titles in order to keep up coverage for Subway and Bus Operations. They are cutting back on Overtime since new Hires can fill open assignments.

I may have posted this before but the hiring freeze does not effect Conductors , Train Operators , Bus Operators and Promotions for Tower Operator and supervisor Titles in order to keep up coverage for Subway and Bus Operations. They are cutting back on Overtime since new Hires can fill open assignments.

So they are still calling off the B/O lists then? Has anyone been called recently?

Can someone tell me why they would be giving another test for B/O??

1) The list before the 8006 test, I think the 5025, was still being called.

2) Did any get called from the 8006 test??

3) Why if there is a hiring freeze would they be giving another test? Perhaps to raise $$$$ ??

Any updates from those who know would be appreciated.

FDB

Can someone tell me why they would be giving another test for B/O??

1) The list before the 8006 test, I think the 5025, was still being called.

2) Did any get called from the 8006 test??

3) Why if there is a hiring freeze would they be giving another test? Perhaps to raise $$$$ ??

Any updates from those who know would be appreciated.

FDB

Does anyone know what list number they called up to with test 5025? When I called they said it was still at 2795.(been that way since summer)

Does anyone know what list number they called up to with test 5025? When I called they said it was still at 2795.(been that way since summer)

not only that they have exam 8006(nyc),2801(mabstoa), 8008(MTA Bus), I am on all three. They didnt even send out the results for 8006 yet. I took the boss for 2801,and 8008 and havent heard anything. This is a joke, How are they putting another exam # out there. I am starting to become real skeptical about actually being called from any of these exams.

not only that they have exam 8006(nyc),2801(mabstoa), 8008(MTA Bus), I am on all three. They didnt even send out the results for 8006 yet. I took the boss for 2801,and 8008 and havent heard anything. This is a joke, How are they putting another exam # out there. I am starting to become real skeptical about actually being called from any of these exams.

It's been 5 months since some of us in here took exam #8006. At least give us our scores and list numbers,so at least we know where we stand. How long can that take? I am sure it didn't take them very long to process the filing fee for the exam.

Guys/Gals/Its, there isn't anything any employee on here can do, or find out anymore. You will have just as much luck calling them yourselves, being stern to find out what is going on, and even possibly calling DCAS (for TA), and MTA headquarters (for non-TA positions), and expressing your feelings to what you think is happening. I don't why they would come up with another bus exam, when they have a huge list to call, and hire first. The only people who know what is going on is human resources, not any depot, road, line, or station superintendent, nor any manager. Only the hire ups beyond these two levels will know anything. All I can tell you is keep calling H/R at MTA, and ask them if they will be calling any more from the list you are on, or will they just get rid of it, and hire from a new list from the next exam....... I will say this, and that it is unfair to you all, and you should get your monies back. They should not, and it should be against the law to start a new list, if they haven't gotten at least through 90% of a old list. You paid to get a chance at something, and for them to possibly throw most of it away, and start a new one, is theft in my book........

Archived