Hiring Freeze

DOB2RTO

Guys/Gals/Its, there isn't anything any employee on here can do, or find out anymore. You will have just as much luck calling them yourselves, being stern to find out what is going on, and even possibly calling DCAS (for TA), and MTA headquarters (for non-TA positions), and expressing your feelings to what you think is happening. I don't why they would come up with another bus exam, when they have a huge list to call, and hire first. The only people who know what is going on is human resources, not any depot, road, line, or station superintendent, nor any manager. Only the hire ups beyond these two levels will know anything. All I can tell you is keep calling H/R at MTA, and ask them if they will be calling any more from the list you are on, or will they just get rid of it, and hire from a new list from the next exam....... I will say this, and that it is unfair to you all, and you should get your monies back. They should not, and it should be against the law to start a new list, if they haven't gotten at least through 90% of a old list. You paid to get a chance at something, and for them to possibly throw most of it away, and start a new one, is theft in my book........

You are 100% correct. I don't think they(MTA or TA)is covered under the NYC Civil Service law,which states that an exam must be given every 4 years unless there is a hiring freeze then the list gets extended.

It isn't so much about the exam fee but being lied to,etc.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys/Gals/Its, there isn't anything any employee on here can do, or find out anymore. You will have just as much luck calling them yourselves, being stern to find out what is going on, and even possibly calling DCAS (for TA), and MTA headquarters (for non-TA positions), and expressing your feelings to what you think is happening. I don't why they would come up with another bus exam, when they have a huge list to call, and hire first. The only people who know what is going on is human resources, not any depot, road, line, or station superintendent, nor any manager. Only the hire ups beyond these two levels will know anything. All I can tell you is keep calling H/R at MTA, and ask them if they will be calling any more from the list you are on, or will they just get rid of it, and hire from a new list from the next exam....... I will say this, and that it is unfair to you all, and you should get your monies back. They should not, and it should be against the law to start a new list, if they haven't gotten at least through 90% of a old list. You paid to get a chance at something, and for them to possibly throw most of it away, and start a new one, is theft in my book........

for real we should all get together & do something call up eyewitness news or ask howard to see whats going on because h/r know something im tired of calling & getting the same damn answer " i dont know" you have to know something they giving out another exam thats not fair at all:mad:

the mayor has no control over the mta

Are you sure about that? IIRC the mayor changed the assignments on the R142's when they were new, putting them all on lex ave lines. But i don't know how true that is though. Also didn't the mayor have something to do with the MTA taking over the PBL?

It's been 5 months since some of us in here took exam #8006. At least give us our scores and list numbers,so at least we know where we stand. How long can that take? I am sure it didn't take them very long to process the filing fee for the exam.

Exam results for 8006: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/keys/Kbusoperator8006.pdf

you can calculate the scores and get an idea about your score.

My husband took 5025 and it took almost a year, maybe longer to get list number.

Still waiting to hear.

Are you sure about that? IIRC the mayor changed the assignments on the R142's when they were new, putting them all on lex ave lines. But i don't know how true that is though.

He didn't personally assign them. Apparently, he expressed that he wanted the Lex to run all NTTs since there are a lot of tourist destinations along that route, therefore using it to showcase the new equipment. I'm doubt the (MTA) absolutely had to follow the suggestion.

Yeah I checked that already,but I want an official score as my answer sheet had eraser marks and got a little bit smudgy.

Are you gabchi99 who just posted on the DSNY thread over at city-data? Has to be you,lol.

YES, my hubby is on both lists...pins and needles I tell you! HOw do we know what number DSNY is going up to?

YES, my hubby is on both lists...pins and needles I tell you! HOw do we know what number DSNY is going up to?

Yes,I am vantastic10 over there,and I just answered your question. The waiting is most definitely the hardest part. Does your hubby have a preference? or is it whoever calls him first is where he will go.

The City of New York has absolutely no say in what MTA does. MTA is a state agency, and the state legislature has final say in alot of matters. Now saying that, the City of New York does have alot of influence, since it is the biggest money giver to MTA, for NYCTA, LIRR, and MNRR. Even the feds have say in NYCTA. Why? Federal dollars, that's why.........

• 3 weeks later...
Whoever calls first- I think he is in same boat as you, he is 40 but in good shape. Thank goodness no age requirements.

There is a law that they can't discriminate because of age with the exception of law enforcement and firefighting. You can work as a Sanitation worker until the day you die. Interesting read in the Chief online civil service newspaper. There are around 150 DSNY employees in the dept over the age of 60. There have been people hired over the age of 50,not the norm of course.

What matters is the ability to do the job,the older workers don't have a higher sick or accident rate on the job then anybody else.

The government is going to eventually have to raise the retirement age into the low 70's as people live longer these days.

Does your husband plan on taking the exam again in 2011 if he doesn't make this time around? I know I will,will be 41 yrs old in 2011 but I am in good shape for somebody my age. I also think I can score better the 2nd time around on the exam.

can you believe this

Originally Posted by ElKaotico

Hi guys! I am an MTA Bus Company' Bus Operator newby and like to know if anyone is kind enough to info. me as to where I can purchase the required uniform. I start class this up-coming Monday the 27th and they have uniform requirements. I just need to know where to go to purchase the shirt and pants required fro class.

Thx guys!

Archived