Major Bx15 Accident in Harlem

MHV9218

Details still coming in, bus involved was 7728. Gas tanker and truck collided, truck hit the bus, 23 people injured as of right now, 2 critically. I was actually planning on taking the Bx15 today and seeing a friend off St. Nicholas, glad I didn't today. Bad scene from what I hear, here's a photo from CBS News:

harlem-bus-crash.jpg

And another photo showing the gas tankr from Tash Boogie:

062612tankerbus.jpg

From Gothamist:

http://gothamist.com...ollide_in_h.php

A Bx15 bus and a gasoline tanker collided at the intersection of 125th Street and 5th Avenue just before 2:00 p.m. today. Traffic is now blocked off in both directions as first responders handle the scene, and the FDNY tells us 24 people were injured in total. 22 of those injuries are currently described as "non-life threatening," while two others are more serious. Thankfully, the tanker didn't catch fire.

The victims are being transferred to Metropolitan and New York Hospitals. The FDNY could not elaborate further on the serious injuries, and it's still unclear what caused the accident, but we'll update as we get more information.

and from CBS2:

http://newyork.cbslo...ures-in-harlem/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) –

A serious

accident involving a Metropolitan Transportation Authority bus

has led to street closures in Harlem.

The crash, which also involved a gasoline tanker and box truck, occurred Tuesday afternoon at 125th Street and Fifth Avenue, 1010 WINS reported.

Emergency responders are on the scene.

It is unclear how many people have been injured.

Police have closed 125th Street in both direction [sic] at Fifth Avenue.

*Sigh*.........

Like WHEN are we going to see Bus Lanes on 125th?! I mean EVEN 181st Street (which is packed with cars) finally got lanes (as of around May). 125th Needs it badly. Too much traffic which leads to incidents like this... I'd also reroute trucks if needed. With no expressways in Harlem (Crosstown), theres going to be hell.

So that's what happened....

I turned it to the news, and heard a mention of the Bx15 & saw a damaged bus.... I caught it at the end of the story....

I don't know what, but something is gonna have to happen along 125th to decrease the likeliness of such accidents from occurring......

*Sigh*.........

Like WHEN are we going to see Bus Lanes on 125th?! I mean EVEN 181st Street (which is packed with cars) finally got lanes (as of around May). 125th Needs it badly. Too much traffic which leads to incidents like this... I'd also reroute trucks if needed. With no expressways in Harlem (Crosstown), theres going to be hell.

How does this even have the slightest relevance about this incident?

Take a closer look at the bus in this picture. The driver clearly had no trouble pulling into the bus stop right at the curb. It was entirely the fault of the tanker truck driver because he completely misjudged how much room he had. A bus lane wouldn't have helped prevent this accident at all.

I was driving the opposite way when it happened the box truck stopped short, the tanker was speeding and hit the box truck which hit the bus that was servicing the bus stop, it was my first trip I make a relief at 125 / 2nd ave but on the way back I had to detour and blew my swing at one point I went dark from 106 bway to 82 st ditmas which is after the airport glad to hear no one was killed cause it looked messed up from my vantage point.

How does this even have the slightest relevance about this incident?

Take a closer look at the bus in this picture. The driver clearly had no trouble pulling into the bus stop right at the curb. It was entirely the fault of the tanker truck driver because he completely misjudged how much room he had. A bus lane wouldn't have helped prevent this accident at all.

You could reroute truck traffic off 125th Street. While an accident can still happen (even without dividing the street), I'd rather see things fixed up, which can slightly reduce this. 125th Street has a lot of traffic during the day, any accident is possible.

*Sigh*.........

Oh goodie, more people circling around to find limited amounts of parking spots! What a wonderful welcomed addition, NOT! And truck reroutes would be a disaster, because 125th is the BEST Northernmost non-highway Truck Route in Manhattan! And if I refer to your comment correctly, because of an accident involving a truck, they should be banned? What if a cab gets into an accident with a bus, they should be banned too? That's not gonna work out!!!

Oh goodie, more people circling around to find limited amounts of parking spots! What a wonderful welcomed addition, NOT! And truck reroutes would be a disaster, because 125th is the BEST Northernmost non-highway Truck Route in Manhattan! And if I refer to your comment correctly, because of an accident involving a truck, they should be banned? What if a cab gets into an accident with a bus, they should be banned too? That's not gonna work out!!!

...............For your statement about parking. Alternately you could build parking facilities. You should see how 125th Street is with all the traffic, especially rush hour. It takes nearly 40min for a freaking bus to go across east to west (which normally is suppose to be less).

For your banning portion, I never said anything about cabs being banned. But at least rerouting trucks (maybe some) can low traffic slightly. You do realize that some trucks can lead to possible explosion if the situation were worst in an accident. While it may have been the truckers fault for this, its better off pushing trucks to an alternative road............

I hope the Op wasn't angled into the stop if so he is up the creek :(

A lot of B/Os do it though. This morning on the BxM18, the B/O was in between two lanes on 5th Avenue. I was surprised that he pulled the bus out from the stop like that because he had to pull around one bus to get into that position and then hope that no cars came flying down 5th Avenue before the light changed.

NY Post headline for this story reads, Harlem: Bus hits gas truck. Then the article goes on to explain how.the bus was unloading passengers when a BOX truck smacks into it...am I the only one that sees the problem with the headline??

NY Post headline for this story reads, Harlem: Bus hits gas truck. Then the article goes on to explain how.the bus was unloading passengers when a BOX truck smacks into it...am I the only one that sees the problem with the headline??

The media man, the media... Always trying to twist the story

No surprises from the NY Post. Actually, one surprise...that the headline didn't come from the Daily News!! Lies all around, and they both hate unions and the MTA enough that they always try to make them look bad.

Wait, I spoke too soon. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/uptown/harlem-bus-hits-gas-truck-article-1.1102718

...............For your statement about parking. Alternately you could build parking facilities. You should see how 125th Street is with all the traffic, especially rush hour. It takes nearly 40min for a freaking bus to go across east to west (which normally is suppose to be less).

For your banning portion, I never said anything about cabs being banned. But at least rerouting trucks (maybe some) can low traffic slightly. You do realize that some trucks can lead to possible explosion if the situation were worst in an accident. While it may have been the truckers fault for this, its better off pushing trucks to an alternative road............

So in order to speed up buses by what I'd guess would be 5 minutes, you want to delay trucks by up to 20 minutes, and I'm pretty sure there's more trucks using 125th Street than buses.

Where would you send those trucks? Broadway and Amsterdam are both truck routes, and 125th Street is the only major street north of the park that connects those to the RFK Bridge. Traffic is just something that you have to deal with when you live in such a big city.

Wow, that is really just terrible luck for that B/O. I guess bad luck incidents happen to almost everyone when you drive enough in this crazy city. Glad no one was killed--I don't think I have heard of so many people getting injured in a bus accident in a while.

1. Parking - Parking Facilities wouldn't be used much, look at the demographics along 125th St. and the available lots for parking facilities to be built. At the end, these expensive parking facilities would be around and only the people who can afford it would park there. And really traffic won't be resolved.

2. Trucks - Banning trucks from a MAJOR street is the WORST idea ever, local streets would be clogged, more fuel would be burned, delivery time would be longer, prices in the businesses would rise a bit. And the Explosion is not preventable, hazardous materials being transported would be taken care/supervised by the DOT, and there is NO alternative by 125th St., the next crosstown street suitable for trucks is 145th St., and boy you don't want to mess with the Avenues traffic. Truck traffic is needed for goods deliveries or 125th St. would be outta business and be a ghetto hood.

So in order to speed up buses by what I'd guess would be 5 minutes, you want to delay trucks by up to 20 minutes, and I'm pretty sure there's more trucks using 125th Street than buses.

Where would you send those trucks? Broadway and Amsterdam are both truck routes, and 125th Street is the only major street north of the park that connects those to the RFK Bridge. Traffic is just something that you have to deal with when you live in such a big city.

Well said, very well said! I agree with you, there is no other way to deliver massive amounts of goods!

=====

The Solution: Bus Lane in each direction, effective during Peak Hours/Peak Direction ONLY. Alternate Side Parking in effect for 125th St., truck deliveries permitted during Off-Peak Hours/Against Peak Direction. [speeding up Busses].

Leave more room for trucks to turn and buses to stop at, this would create a balance in personal, commercial and public transportation.

1. Parking - Parking Facilities wouldn't be used much, look at the demographics along 125th St. and the available lots for parking facilities to be built. At the end, these expensive parking facilities would be around and only the people who can afford it would park there. And really traffic won't be resolved.

2. Trucks - Banning trucks from a MAJOR street is the WORST idea ever, local streets would be clogged, more fuel would be burned, delivery time would be longer, prices in the businesses would rise a bit. And the Explosion is not preventable, hazardous materials being transported would be taken care/supervised by the DOT, and there is NO alternative by 125th St., the next crosstown street suitable for trucks is 145th St., and boy you don't want to mess with the Avenues traffic. Truck traffic is needed for goods deliveries or 125th St. would be outta business and be a ghetto hood.

Well said, very well said! I agree with you, there is no other way to deliver massive amounts of goods!

=====

The Solution: Bus Lane in each direction, effective during Peak Hours/Peak Direction ONLY. Alternate Side Parking in effect for 125th St., truck deliveries permitted during Off-Peak Hours/Against Peak Direction. [speeding up Busses].

Leave more room for trucks to turn and buses to stop at, this would create a balance in personal, commercial and public transportation.

And people are going to honor that?

Good idea, except for the fact that people making right turns will have to wait for all the pedestrians to cross, which will either still delay buses or, like in the case of the M15 SBS, buses will not even use the bus lane and instead stay in the center to avoid having to merge every block.

Archived