Unsigned Invoice

EarnYourLeather

I left my wallet, with my monthly unlimited ticket, in my office by mistake and didn't realize it until I was onboard the MNR. I was given an 'INVOICE FOR FARE NOT PAID.' But, the conductor who issued me the invoice failed to ask for my signature. So on my copy, as well as theirs, under the "I acknowledge..." schpeal, there's no endorsement. So have I legally acknowledged anything? Normally I'd just pay the darn thing but I won't have my wallet until I return to that office on Friday and I already pay a small fortune for my monthly unlimited pass to New York.

Obviously there's no doubt that I should pay this fee.

Morality aside, am I legally obligated to without a signature?

On the LIRR they will mail you a bill for passengers issued an ADL6009. Not sure what they do on MNR.

On MNR the passenger received a PA-61 (Invoice for Fare Not Paid) on the train in which the OP is talking about. The passengers copy of the PA-61 is a self mailer envelope to sent a payment through the mail within 14 days. Should PRA (passenger revenue accounting) not receive the payment, they will get a statement in the mail. If after an extended period of time there is no payment received then the information will be fowared to a third party collection company.

I don't know if the fact that the passengers signature limits the liability to pay the fare as I'm not a lawyer. The best course of action to take would pay a visit to Metro North's Customer Service Center located in GCT adjacent to the Vanderbuilt Hall ramp.

Archived