B Division PA/CIS Discussion

GojiMet86

“Countdown clocks have been a major success on the [numbered lines],” a transit source said. “Everybody likes them. Something needs to happen on the [lettered lines].”

Since they were first installed only on the numbered lines (except the #7), I figured there was some legal obstacle to their use elsewhere.

Since they were first installed only on the numbered lines (except the #7), I figured there was some legal obstacle to their use elsewhere.

No, it was a technological obstacle. The numbered lines have a computerized dispatching system (Automatic Train Supervision) that easily provides information for countdown clocks. The MTA certainly doesn't feel like spending the money to install this on the lettered lines, so they have to create a countdown clock that still works even without it.

Sometimes at a B division station, I might hear an actual person's voice announce how far away the next train is (not the automated voice). What is this about? At the same station (without countdown clocks), you sometimes hear it and sometimes not.

They do this at West Fourth Street. If they need to make a more detailed announcement along with the next train, then they might have the S/A do it.

Sometimes at a B division station, I might hear an actual person's voice announce how far away the next train is (not the automated voice). What is this about? At the same station (without countdown clocks), you sometimes hear it and sometimes not.

Those are dedicated announcers. They operate out of towers or the RCC.

Because even they are entitled to a lunch break.......

There's not multiple announcers doing shift duty? I can't imagine trying to announce more than a small handful of stations at once.

The only station I've heard the live announcers at is Jay, though.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An MTA official testified today at a NYC Council committee meeting about technology in the subway system, and in particular he talked about the challenges of bringing the same type of "next train/countdown clock" system found in the A Division to the B Division.

You can read his prepared testimony at: http://goo.gl/uzWcx

A report on his testimony can be found on Transportation Nation at:

http://transportationnation.org/2012/10/24/ny-mta-on-lettered-lines-let-pa-system-be-your-countdown-clock/

I hope that they are able to bring different technology to the B Division and not use what's in the A Division cause there is a lot to that technology that goes beyond just seeing how long it takes for a train to come to a station and it really, really sucks.

Archived