MTA Mulls restoring Service Cuts??? *Subway Comments Only Please*

RTOMan

The (D) can handle the West End Line by itself. The trouble is where would the (W) terminate? Either it would have to be the Sea Beach Line or the West End Line. I used Bay Parkway because that was where the old (M) stopped at.

Bay Ridge-95 St, possibly?
I don't know how the (MTA) can get extra cars. Maybe if they ordered a larger order of R179's. That way it would be enough.

But the R179s won't be here for a while. This thread is about this year or so, I thought.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bay Ridge-95 St, possibly?

But the R179s won't be here for a while. This thread is about this year or so, I thought.

It might be a bit redundant though since it would mostly follow the route of the (R)

I highly doubt the (W) would return this year though.

THE (W) IS NOT GOING TO BROOKLYN.

It's not necessary. How many times does that have to be repeated?

It has to to get yard access in the 3 super runs. So yes it technically goes to Brooklyn.

I agree with most of the above till the part about cutting the (R). I don't ride that line often, but why the cut?

Less busy time on Queens Boulevard early Sunday morning, also a way for MTA to "balance" costs a form of "cost neutrality" although really just getting savings in one area to spend more in another.

Remember (5) to Brooklyn middays (and the service increase) ? the (4) got a service cut to make that happen.

If the (W) doesn't come back the (Q) should only run to Astoria rush hours and early evenings (6-10am, 3-10pm) to give MTA some savings somewhere.

If the (W) doesn't come back the (Q) should only run to Astoria rush hours and early evenings (6-10am, 3-10pm) to give MTA some savings somewhere.

Astoria needs all the service it can get, so no. I'd maybe turn 1 or 2 at 57th Street. And if this continues post SAS, then the (Q)s terminals will be split and no one will be happy because the (Q) would have less than satisfactory service on its branches.

And with all the crap about what the (MTA) will and won't do, there are ways to force them to do what they need to do...

Pitchforks and Fire!

Astoria needs all the service it can get, so no. I'd maybe turn 1 or 2 at 57th Street. And if this continues post SAS, then the (Q)s terminals will be split and no one will be happy because the (Q) would have less than satisfactory service on its branches.

Pitchforks and Fire!

I would like this post, but I have reached my quota.

You guys are starting to forget but the (Q) will go up to 125th Street. So there will be nothing to back up the (N) to Astoria if it's left alone. The (W) will have to come back at all times except for late nights. It would run from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Whitehall Street at all times except for rush hours when it will run from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Bay Parkway on the (D). This is the ideal situation. Any other options would be stupid and they won't help anyone out at all resulting in a waste of money.

Completely agree, though I think that the W should be extended to Bay Parkway full-time (no night and weekend service).

I agree. I think a majority of the funds allocated to the subway with focus on increasing the headways. Yes, the pre-2010 (W) or some variant of it will be needed when the Second Avenue Line opens, but I doubt the (W) is making a comeback until 2016.

If $3.5 million is leftover to run the (W) to Whitehall again, then by all means do it. Keep in mind though that the MTA is image-conscious -- restoring an entire line is somewhat of a bold move. The MTA wouldn't be able to reneg on it so quickly if funding gets low, otherwise they'd be eaten alive for it by the press. Extending weeknight (C) service or expanding weekend (M) service are easier proposals to tweak without having much backlash if things go awry.

Less busy time on Queens Boulevard early Sunday morning, also a way for MTA to "balance" costs a form of "cost neutrality" although really just getting savings in one area to spend more in another.

Remember (5) to Brooklyn middays (and the service increase) ? the (4) got a service cut to make that happen.

But then during those hours, Second Avenue riders who would want direct access to Midtown or Brooklyn via the Q train are going to suffer. Remember the Lexington Avenue Line is so heavily used, especially the 6 and <6> trains. The W needs to come back between Ditmars and Bay Parkway. It'd be better that way since majority of West End and 4th Avenue riders want access to Midtown or Upper Manhattan with some or less for Lower Manhattan I guess.

@ Roadcruiser1, the (N) can handle Astoria on weekends by itself, as it did before the service cuts (and it does now). Remember how R32 3838 said that there aren't enough cars for a (W) extension to Brooklyn? How do you respond? (I apologize if you already explained it; if so, you can link to the page where you explained, maybe.)

I already Explaned why the (W) to brooklyn wouldn't work, If they do go forward with the (J) extension there will be enough cars, people don't realize the (J) uses less cars than the (W) remember the (W) would need 10 cars, the (J) uses 8 cars, ether way the (W) would end at whitehall at the end of the day, Broadway is More important than 4th ave when it comes to rush hours, the (W) should have stayed, everything was perfect and they would have still had enough cars (the (W) didn't cost the MTA that much money) most of the (W) crews went to the (N)/(Q) anyway) But to be honest i still see the (J) being extended or a special bankers special like the Brown <R> happening, having the (W) go to brooklyn with the (R) as well as sharing the same tracks would be pointless, remember the (R) gets jacked up because of its headways and trains being crossed in front of it, a (W) train would be the same as the (R), with delays and bullshit, thats what the (MTA) don't want, the (W) is a helper line for Broadway, if they brought it back it would still be a helper line, and on top of that why in the hell would you have 3 BROADWAY lines on 4th ave anyway, 2 locals that basically make the same stops all the way until 59th st and lexington and the (N) express, That would be pointless, THATS why the (J) is a better idea, its a different line and it doesn't get as messed up as other lines and it would help out the IRT as well

I already Explaned why the (W) to brooklyn wouldn't work, If they do go forward with the (J) extension there will be enough cars, people don't realize the (J) uses less cars than the (W) remember the (W) would need 10 cars, the (J) uses 8 cars, ether way the (W) would end at whitehall at the end of the day, Broadway is More important than 4th ave when it comes to rush hours, the (W) should have stayed, everything was perfect and they would have still had enough cars (the (W) didn't cost the MTA that much money) most of the (W) crews went to the (N)/(Q) anyway) But to be honest i still see the (J) being extended or a special bankers special like the Brown <R> happening, having the (W) go to brooklyn with the (R) as well as sharing the same tracks would be pointless, remember the (R) gets jacked up because of its headways and trains being crossed in front of it, a (W) train would be the same as the (R), with delays and bullshit, thats what the (MTA) don't want, the (W) is a helper line for Broadway, if they brought it back it would still be a helper line, and on top of that why in the hell would you have 3 BROADWAY lines on 4th ave anyway, 2 locals that basically make the same stops all the way until 59th st and lexington and the (N) express, That would be pointless, THATS why the (J) is a better idea, its a different line and it doesn't get as messed up as other lines and it would help out the IRT as well

Let me give you a history lesson, because you need it...

Between c.2001 and Spring of 2004, there were 3 Broadway lines on 4th Avenue. They all shared ridership, and except for the (N) terminating at Pacific Street on weekdays, that setup was perfect. Then, between 2004 and 2010, we had the local (W) between Whitehall Street & Astoria.

Next, there's the (M) to Bay Parkway. The (M) got light usage in South Brooklyn, at best. Extending the (J) would screw up skip-stop service, and would just waste money. And brown <R>? Don't make me laugh. Your post holds no water. 3 Broadway lines on 4th Avenue would just make the Broadway line a popular destination for commuters, it won't be redundant. It's been done many times before, and it can be done again.

I'm starting to get sick of this (W) versus (J) debate. There have been so many threads full of it, and nothing new ever seems to get said...

It's true, and that's all that's going to fill that new subway proposals thread. :(

#$^* it! I reached my quota of positive votes for the day... :angry::angry: That's why I was against the thread, too. People are just going to fill it with either fantasy foam or repetitions of previous ideas.

I'm was going to like this, but i'm conserving my likes...

Pitchforks and Fire!

Guess those midday (N) trains must get really packed (even more crowded than the midday (D)) when the (Q) waits at 34 St. If MTA is still holding the (Q), the extra service isn't reducing wait times and isn't going to help any crowding (going N/B) if that continues.

http://www.subchat.c....asp?Id=1133190

http://www.subchat.c....asp?Id=1133212

http://www.subchat.c....asp?Id=1079077

http://www.subchat.c....asp?Id=1079243

http://www.subchat.c....asp?Id=1079142

http://www.subchat.c....asp?Id=1079402

Let me give you a history lesson, because you need it...

Between c.2001 and Spring of 2004, there were 3 Broadway lines on 4th Avenue. They all shared ridership, and except for the (N) terminating at Pacific Street on weekdays, that setup was perfect. Then, between 2004 and 2010, we had the local (W) between Whitehall Street & Astoria.

Next, there's the (M) to Bay Parkway. The (M) got light usage in South Brooklyn, at best. Extending the (J) would screw up skip-stop service, and would just waste money. And brown <R>? Don't make me laugh. Your post holds no water. 3 Broadway lines on 4th Avenue would just make the Broadway line a popular destination for commuters, it won't be redundant. It's been done many times before, and it can be done again.

Dude I know that, I remember that service chance very well and the reason why IT was done was because of the 6th ave side of the manhattan bridge was closed, like i said having the ®/(W) share the same tracks between 59th st and Lex and 36th st brooklyn is pointless and the (W) would be just as slow as the (R), I don't care what they do really, But we all have our opinions on what we think should be done, The (J) idea was brought Up by the NYCT, Not by me or any rail fans , it the idea was mentioned on other boards, don't get me wrong, I don't think it would do that good, but it would help the (R) train, Broadway is a busy line, having one line that short turns in lower manhattan was a smart choice, the 2004-10 (W) was the <N> back in the 1980s where it used to short turn at whitehall, the (R) used to short turn there until i think 2004 during the morning Rush,

and this is why i can't stand this site sometimes because all of you get smart out the damn mouth, Its just a damn discussion, and no its not a foamy idea, I explained WHY they brought it up, at the end of the day you have to look at how many subway cars you have unless you want an 8 car (W) train full of R32's and you all know that shit will not happen.

Dude I know that, I remember that service chance very well and the reason why IT was done was because of the 6th ave side of the manhattan bridge was closed, like i said having the ®/(W) share the same tracks between 59th st and Lex and 36th st brooklyn is pointless and the (W) would be just as slow as the (R), I don't care what they do really, But we all have our opinions on what we think should be done, The (J) idea was brought Up by the NYCT, Not by me or any rail fans , it the idea was mentioned on other boards, don't get me wrong, I don't think it would do that good, but it would help the (R) train, Broadway is a busy line, having one line that short turns in lower manhattan was a smart choice, the 2004-10 (W) was the <N> back in the 1980s where it used to short turn at whitehall, the (R) used to short turn there until i think 2004 during the morning Rush,

and this is why i can't stand this site sometimes because all of you get smart out the damn mouth, Its just a damn discussion, and no its not a foamy idea, I explained WHY they brought it up, at the end of the day you have to look at how many subway cars you have unless you want an 8 car (W) train full of R32's and you all know that shit will not happen.

You're the one who is being a smartass, buddy. You need to chill out because the only reason why you don't want the W to Brooklyn is because YOU think it'd be as slow as the R. It's possible for all trains to arrive once every ten minutes. So for Lexington Avenue and 5th Avenue stations, one by one, the N train arrives first, then the R, and then the W. Trains can pick up passengers for two minutes before leaving. The W can run to Bay Parkway via West End Local with the D after 36th Street. Stop reading what you wanna read, focus more on what others are trying to tell you instead of getting pissy because you don't feel is good for two Broadway Local service to run on the same track. They won't.

Some said the W can turn via West End, to which I agree 100%. And yes, you're right, there are not enough cars for Brooklyn W service. 45th, 53rd, etc are all served by the R anyway. And I don't know how the hell would the W be as slow as the R just because they have the longest local run in the system. There are TRAINS. Get used it. It's possible for all trains to have a ten-minute interval which is good IMO. No body from West End and Fourth Avenue want Nassau Street service, get it?! They are NOT going to get on a train that doesn't go where they want to go! It's not about which other line helps another, it's about ridership demands! I've seen others trying to get that through your head but you still go over the top and spaz out that the W train would be ruin because it may become the next R as equal.

Take a look at the 2 and 3 trains between 135th Street in Manhattan and Franklin Avenue in Manhattan. Better yet, there ARE some 2 trains that go to New Lots Avenue during the limit rush hour because of how the Nostrand Avenue Line junction/merge was designed south of Franklin Avenue (making it more difficult for the 5 train to switch to the local track in order to get to the Nostrand Av Line. That's why at most times, the 3 and 5 don't arrive at the same time at Franklin Avenue as often because of it. Go see the track map at www.nycsubway.org if you think I'm lying. You always get upset just because others here don't agree with you and then start giving out bully-boy tactics. What you're saying mostly is based on an opnion, so don't try to play smart with us by saying the same crap over again like "THAT'S THE J IDEA WAS BROUGHT BECAUSE THE MTA THOUGHT IT'D BE HELPFUL RATHER THAN ANOTHER LINE THAT WOULD SHARE THE SAME TRACK UNTIL 36TH STREET AND LEXINGTON AV". ._.

Many of us gave you many facts about why the W should run to Brooklyn and turn off at 36th Street to the West End Line to Bay Parkway but you continue to remain highly adamant.

Okay, for the billionth time, the (W) isn't pointless:

- The (W) will reduce delays because (N) trains no longer need to switch onto the local track after the Manhattan Bridge. It feels like every time I take the (R), it gets held at Canal St for that purpose.

- The (W) will reduce delays because the (N) no longer has to merge with the (Q) at 34 St

- The (W) will reduce delays because it'll run less frequently than the (Q); having the (N)(R)(W) in the 60th St tube is fewer trains per hour than the (N)(R)(Q).

Okay, THE (W) ISN'T GOING TO BROOKLYN! NEITHER IS THE (J). Just because the MTA suggested it doesn't mean they decided to do it. People have come up with good arguments for why it's a bad idea.

- The (W) will reduce delays because (N) trains no longer need to switch onto the local track after the Manhattan Bridge. It feels like every time I take the (R), it gets held at Canal St for that purpose.

- The (W) will reduce delays because the (N) no longer has to merge with the (Q) at 34 St

- The (W) will reduce delays because it'll run less frequently than the (Q); having the (N)(R)(W) in the 60th St tube is fewer trains per hour than the (N)(R)(Q).

Okay, THE (W) ISN'T GOING TO BROOKLYN! NEITHER IS THE (J). Just because the MTA suggested it doesn't mean they decided to do it. People have come up with good arguments for why it's a bad idea.

Then it would be pointless since the (R) will receive no help on Fourth Avenue whatsoever. Again just order extra cars and the (W) can make it into South Brooklyn.

Agree with your above post about why the (W) is not a pointless service. As someone who rides the Broadway BMT line regularly, I can say the trains ran much better when the (W) was there. The MTA should have left well enough alone and they didn't.

But I don't see how it's a bad idea to run the (W) in Brooklyn. If it comes back, it will presumably be based out of Coney Island yard again. So it will have to run through much of Brooklyn to get there. Might as well run it in service

But I don't see how it's a bad idea to run the (W) in Brooklyn. If it comes back, it will presumably be based out of Coney Island yard again. So it will have to run through much of Brooklyn to get there. Might as well run it in service

(W) trains will go to Coney Island yard when they leave/enter service, but there aren't enough trains to have every run on the (W) line go through Brooklyn.

Archived