Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
The Real

You Wanna Beat Up on the Nova LFS/As? Not So Fast....

The reason why you have 5900s showing up at MQ, TG, WF and KB is not because there is a issue with the earlier 2011-12 Nova LFS Artics with the Thermo King HVACs...The issue is with the 2003 New Flyer D60HFs with Thermo King HVACs that are failing left and right.

However, the 5900s that are scattered will be returned to Casey Stengel by the end of the weekend, get your pics of them outside of Queens quick!

So, VIVA LA LFS!!!!!!!!

Edited by Vintage Soul
  • Upvote 9

With the New Flyers, is the a/c just not working or are the buses not starting? Because what I heard is that they had about 6 LFSA's (specifically at quill) that they had to jump everytime they wanted to start the bus and they were blaming the Thermo King HVAC blower fans...

Edited by Blitz

With the New Flyers, is the a/c just not working or are the buses not starting? Because what I heard is that they had about 6 LFSA's (specifically at quill) that they had to jump everytime they wanted to start the bus and they were blaming the Thermo King HVAC blower fans...

HVACs failing. A lot of rumors seem to come out of Quill, including a rumor that they were stopping the retirement of all RTSs because the Orion 7s are having 'supposed' roof structure failures....MEANWHILE, mounds of RTSs continue to be retired and sent to EC and the plan is to have all 1996 RTSs retired by summer's end. *scofs*

Also, find it weird that is just MQ making this claim. Meanwhile, KB-WF-TG have been rolling their Nova LFS Artics hard! My contact says its the 2002-03 D60HFs and not the Novas.

Edited by Vintage Soul

Eh, I like the LFS/As, but they feel a bit cheap if you ask me. I like the Orions and New Flyers much better, I hope the next big artic order is for XD60s, I have a feeling they'll do great in BT&E just like the XD40s are.

Eh, I like the LFS/As, but they feel a bit cheap if you ask me. I like the Orions and New Flyers much better, I hope the next big artic order is for XD60s, I have a feeling they'll do great in BT&E just like the XD40s are.

The XD40s have their problems too, lots of electrical issues...

• Upvote 1

I actually was on a BX22 recently where the a/c failed mid-route and the driver had to open the top hatches.

I just hope these problems won't turn into a problem like the current O5 situation with Veolia and NICE. Because you have buses on LI Braking down while making a limited or express bus run, or while these buses brake down on high headway routes

This BT&E decision looks like its going to be a hard one Orion left XD40 have electrical problems and LFS is just one damn small bus. I just hope the LFS doesn't win because I tired of all the times a bus has to skip my stop on the Q88 and Q27

• Upvote 1

A lot of rumors seem to come out of Quill, including a rumor that they were stopping the retirement of all RTSs because the Orion 7s are having 'supposed' roof structure failures....MEANWHILE, mounds of RTSs continue to be retired and sent to EC and the plan is to have all 1996 RTSs retired by summer's end. *scofs*

That's something of a bombshell, is that even possible logistically? Even if you discount the 9295-9395 batch, you're still looking at something like 175 buses to get tossed out, right? Would think they'll need some more LFSAs for that to happen, but maybe with the 3G CNGs coming in and all, it's possible. The death watch most imminent seems like those O5 CNGs to me.

I just hope these problems won't turn into a problem like the current O5 situation with Veolia and NICE. Because you have buses on LI Braking down while making a limited or express bus run, or while these buses brake down on high headway routes

Speaking of that. Spotted 1671 (NICE) broken down at 165th Bus Terminal earlier this evening.. Bus breakdowns are something right now in queens/LI.

Because they lack shields and if MTA has half a brain it ought to know better than to keep so many buses in service for long a$$ periods of time without retrofitting them with shields!

Well, I do not know the real reason. My thing is that if the bus lacks a shield it should be decommissioned permanently unless they give it a shield before bringing it back. And technically they are supposed to take buses out once they reach 12 years, even though they keep many in service beyond that.

Also those D60s up until 5509 with the old, smaller engine compartments tend to have some crappy acceleration and overburdened engines, especially with the A/C running and especially when ascending that hill on KB Road on the Bx9.

Basically if they can take out the older D60s right now, my thing is, go right ahead with it since their engines are rather slow and overburdened, they have been around for a minute, and they lack shields.

Edited by BrooklynIRT
  • Upvote 2

Because they lack shields and if MTA has half a brain it ought to know better than to keep so many buses in service for long a$$ periods of time without retrofitting them with shields!

Well, I do not know the real reason. My thing is that if the bus lacks a shield it should be decommissioned permanently unless they give it a shield before bringing it back. And technically they are supposed to take buses out once they reach 12 years, even though they keep many in service beyond that.

Also those D60s up until 5509 with the old, smaller engine compartments tend to have some crappy acceleration and overburdened engines, especially with the A/C running and especially when ascending that hill on KB Road on the Bx9.

Basically if they can take out the older D60s right now, my thing is, go right ahead with it since their engines are rather slow and overburdened, they have been around for a minute, and they lack shields.

WOW! Haha you spoke my mind on this one! I prefer the "Galaxy" D60HF's just because they have a better all around package (acceleration, braking etc...). A "Galaxy" D60HF will reach about 18-20mph going up that hill (with the exception of 5696...idk what happened there lol) on W. Kingsbridge Road while its older counterpart barely makes it to 10mph....don't get me wrong though there are some excellent oldies out there (5294 and 5306 come to mind) but the majority of the 5250-5509 series just don't cut it with the HVAC engaged...some will literally rev the engine for a few seconds before even moving!

I was talking with one maintenance guy about the condition of the older D60's and what he said made a lot of sense, "just like you guys (B/O's) there are some who work diligently and take the job serious and others just don't care...one bus will be due for simple maintenance and some of the guys just won't work on it..." with that being said it's just sad that these extremely well made vehicles have to go through the abuse of NYC and can't even be taken care of the way they should be.

--

Regarding the LFSA's....

Vintage Soul, Idk man I'm not convinced by that statement. I've heard the same thing that Blitz stated being said at my depot as well. Just this past Wednesday I was joy riding the M103 and I saw 5833 (Quill) broken down around 56th Street and Lexington Avenue...the most interesting part was that the tech's who were working on the bus weren't NYCT but from NovaBus I was shocked.

I thought all the D60s were called "Galaxy" Artics, not only 5510 and up? That is what Trevor's TTMG says and is what other people/sites have been saying for years.

I thought all the D60s were called "Galaxy" Artics, not only 5510 and up? That is what Trevor's TTMG says and is what other people/sites have been saying for years.

Ahhhh yes they are...for some reason I thought only the 02-03 were referred to as the "Galaxy". My mistake.

And technically they are supposed to take buses out once they reach 12 years, even though they keep many in service beyond that.

There is no requirement, technical or otherwise, to pull a diesel transit bus out of service after 12 years. The federal government requires that any heavy-duty transit buses purchased with their funding must be kept in service for a minimum of 12 years, so transit bus manufacturers supposedly design their vehicles to last that long, but there are plenty of examples across the country of buses of every model and type lasting to 15 years or more with good maintenance (or in the case of the RTS, even with poor to nonexistent maintenance!).

Wow that is silly thousand of dollars even more being wasted. All of those RTS 96's that were retired weren't all bad. I always thought those 96-97 D60HF's and 97 MCI's were going to be in service until 2014-15. It makes little sense to have C40's that can last more than 15, 20 years if you are not going to use but only 12. I was disappointed that those 900's retired instead of going to SC and CP and knock off all the remaining 1998 and 99 Orion units. But I guess there's a method to the madness and is probably good in the long run.