Bus #2040 got caught on fire today

JayJay85

Wow , bus probably over heated or had no ventilation .

When buses overheat, the engine just shuts down. The cause of most bus fires is usually electrical. Improperly routed 12v and 24v wires rub together and rub each others insulation off, rub against a sharp edge and have their insulation damaged, or are strewn across something hot and the insulation melts. Once you have a bare wire touching something that's grounded or another bare wire, sparks start to fly and the sound insulation is usually the first to burn.

• 2 weeks later...

That bus should be retired after something like that...

Why? There are buses that have more extensive fire damage that get repaired and put back in service. Plus with the mass (and premature) retirement of the 1860-2039 batch of MCIs there aren't alot of spares around.

Whatever it happened it was minor because I heard this bus is already back in service.

There are quite a few "fire" buses running around the city and unless somebody told you, you would never know. Like QM1 said, as long as they used the proper parts the bus will be fine.

As long as the bus is repaired with the proper parts. It will look like new and you will never even know it had a fire. Why would you get rid of the bus?

It's kinda understandable to think it would've been scrapped due to its age, but that's sorta news to me about there being a shortage. Obviously I default to the subways as an example.

Take the case about the R42 (M) that hit the bumper at Chambers St's tail track some years back. The MTA promptly retired the entire train rather than to assess at least the last 4 cars if anything was wrong with them. But because the R42s were to be retired, that was it for them.

Archived