Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Maxwell Black

Subway - timetables and affluence: Can you help me find it?

Hello.

I'm trying to do a comparative article about the NYC subway and another subway system. I'd like to know if the schedule of the trains (timetables and frequency) and if the affluence (pax/station) are available and where.

Can anyone help?

For affluence your best best would be to go to city-data.com or something and look at each neighborhood and their corresponding subway stations. The income level of the average person or family living in each neighborhood is probably what you want to see.

LOL. If you want to know about affluence, just ask Via Garibaldi 8. :D

Thank you all for the quick reply. It is exactly what I was looking for. I think I can manage without the affluence but I'll give a try to 'city-data.com'.

I'd just like to point out that the racial numbers on city-data are outdated (they look like they're from the 2000 census), so the income numbers might not be exact. (They might've just taken the 2000 numbers and adjusted them for inflation or whatever). It should still give you a general idea, though.

A couple of other resources that might help:

http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer (Go to "View More Maps" and then click "Income")

http://project.wnyc.org/census-maps/nyc-income/index.html?lat=40.7703&lon=-73.9124&zoom=12

So between city-data and those two links, that should give you an idea of the wealth of an area. Keep in mind that median household income isn't the only way to measure the wealth of a neighborhood. There's also per capita income, median per capita income, and poverty rate. (There's also the household wealth, but I don't know of any website that has that information).

There's also a website called socialexplorer.com that has the data. For data like income, they charge you for it, but if you go to a university computer or a computer at a public library, you can get all the data for free.