Either/Or Comparisons

TwoTimer

This thread will be a spot place for TA employees to share information about two places in the system and to entertain guesses as to which is better at a certain thing... we'll provide answers later along with new comparisions

I'll start...

Faster station to enter/harder station to stop?

Newkirk Plaza n/b (B) or 63 Drive (M)(R).

No, you're right, you're supposed to pick which station applies to the given prompts. In this case, the answer is Newkirk Plaza. It's the only station in the system that you can hit the platform at 50+ and make a station stop. 63 Dr is steeper into the station, but you enter slower (usually mid 40s) being that you made a station stop at 67 Dr, its just the steep entry robs your train of braking power until you're halfway in the station (and only half of the train on the grade still). At Newkirk, there's about half a train of flat ground before you enter the station, but you keep accelerating with the back of the train on the hill. When you take the fall leaves into consideration, Newkirk is both faster entry and harder to stop, because after Halloween and until after Thansgiving, you probably won't be able to make a station stop at Newkirk entering over 40.

On to the next one...

Which line is longer, the (F) or the (D)?

It's a tough call there, but the customers are definitely more civilized at Grand Central (both the main lines and the Flushing line) than at Times Square, so the latter always FEELS more crowded.

Not Times Square, Penn Station...

Can someone order each platform of these two stations from most crowded to least crowded? In other words, out of all five platforms, which is the most crowded, which is the second most crowded, which is third most, which is fourth, and which is fifth?

I have a comparison question; Which is fastest to Coney Island from Atlantic Av, the (D), (N), or (Q)?

I'm going to say the (N).

EDIT: I just checked Google Maps, and it turns out that I'm right.

The (Q), it's the most direct, and has many fast sections.

Remember, the (Q) is local the whole way in Brooklyn, while the (N) has a long express run (where it can reach 50 MPH if you're lucky).

Why so?

You should check my edits (if you haven't already), where I have hopefully made it clear why I picked the (N).

The (D) is just too slow (timers and hippoes).

I don't think it's the timers. I think it's that the West End line is longer than the Sea Beach line, so therefore the (D) spends less time on the 4 Av line (a fast line) than the (N). The fact of the R68s having slower acceleration won't noticeably affect the length of your trip, AFAIK. In other words, non-railfans don't seem to complain about them being slow (at least I think so).

I was thinking that the Sea Beach was faster since the Brighton first heads east for a bit, then north, then northwest on its way to Downtown, while the Sea Beach just heads straight up north/west/northwest. If the Sea Beach takes longer than or the same amount of time as the Brighton during overnight hours or at any other time that it runs local on 4th Ave, then the idea that the Sea Beach is faster on account of its physical directitude goes out the window.

If the Brighton express leaves Brighton Beach or Sheepshead immediately after you transfer to it from your Brighton local that came from CI, then the Sea Beach might have some competition.

Well from CI to church on the Q takes me about 20 mins..... from church to atlantic is another 10....

Don't know how that compares to the N, b/c it's not a line I take all that much.... last couple times I took the N out of CI, it's been straight to manhattan, and I wasn't keeping mental notes on durations w/i brooklyn.....

The (Q) is definitely the fastest...it has the most direct route and I believe covers LESS distance than West End or Sea Beach. The Q for most of its route is like the hypotenuse of a right triangle (except after Brighton Beach where it sharply turns). Also, the Q doesn't have much in the way of signals telling it to stop or slow down (except for merging (B) trains).

The (N) travels the other two legs of the triangle and hence a longer distance and a lot more stops than people think, even though it goes express to 59th st. The (D) is the slowest...it has a long and indirect local route after 36th st.....it's almost like a "z" (but misshapen)--39th st, then goes diagonally on New Utrecht then goes east on 86th st then curves south.

4th Av can be slow sometimes....signals will hold up trains entering 36th.....

Definitely the (Q). If you are lucky enough to catch a (B) then get off at Sheepshead Bay (Not at Brighton Beach) and a (Q) is arriving, you will leave the (D) and (N) in the dust.

Of course. I should have realized this when I was going on about the physical directitude and thinking about the track geometry.

...and Trip Planner said that during overnight hours the Brighton takes 30 minutes from CI to ATL while the Sea Beach takes 33. 34 for the West End. Looks like I should have been inspecting the geometry more carefully.

The (Q) is definitely the fastest...it has the most direct route and I believe covers LESS distance than West End or Sea Beach. The Q for most of its route is like the hypotenuse of a right triangle (except after Brighton Beach where it sharply turns). Also, the Q doesn't have much in the way of signals telling it to stop or slow down (except for merging (B) trains).

But it's 18 stops on the (Q) versus 12 stops on the (N). Google Maps says 32 minutes on the (Q) versus 30 minutes on the (N). Do you think Google Transit is just inaccurate?

But it's 18 stops on the (Q) versus 12 stops on the (N). Do you think Google Transit is just inaccurate?

The (N) has to travel a longer distance. Stops take less than a minute. The (Q) is faster.

Archived