Either/Or Comparisons

TwoTimer

Discounting GOs and emergencies, it also depends on the time of day, so that and the travel times during overnight hours may not be the end all-be all.

When I listed those times for each line in post #21 I was looking at the travel times for trains leaving CI on a weekday at around 2:30am by the way.

Discounting GOs and emergencies, it also depends on the time of day, so that and the travel times during overnight hours may not be the end all-be all.

When I listed those times for each line in post #21 I was looking at the travel times for trains leaving CI on a weekday at around 2:30am by the way.

That itinerary was for now.

Proof that the (Q) is the fastest:

That itinerary was for now.

"Now" would appear to be too late. I think that your (N) was running local. This, right here, is the PM rush schedule:

Itinerary 1 [-]Collapse

Approx Travel Time : 29 minutes From CONEY ISLAND - STILLWELL AV STA D/F/N/Q

Take the DITMARS BLVD-ASTORIA bound N.png Train departing at 5:41 PM

Get off at ATLANTIC AV - BARCLAYS CTR STATION D/N/R at 6:10 PM

Pay Per Ride Fare : $2.25 - Reduced Fare : $1.10

Total Fare : $2.25 - Reduced Fare : $1.10

The (N) is officially faster.

Of course. I should have realized this when I was going on about the physical directitude and thinking about the track geometry.

...and Trip Planner said that during overnight hours the Brighton takes 30 minutes from CI to ATL while the Sea Beach takes 33. 34 for the West End. Looks like I should have been inspecting the geometry more carefully.

Actual geography changes things.... for example, some people in Jamaica take the (E) train into lower Manhattan over the (J) thinking that the express should beat the local. WRONG....The (J) will get into lower Manhattan quicker--it has a shorter route into lower Manhattan, even though it's local--in Brooklyn, the J has a VERY GOOD geographic route along Broadway: It's basically a straight line to the bridge.

As a side note, if the (J) were three tracked the entire route (like the (7)), an express ride to Manhattan would be CRAZY FAST and divert many Queens riders.

So, even though the (N) is express, it has way more of a distance to travel than the (Q), as its route traces two legs of a right triangle (not actually, obviously) while the (Q) goes along the hypotenuse....the hypotenuse is less than the sum of the other two sides.

The (D) is probably the closest this system has to a "super express" (express in the BX, peak direction, Manhattan, and part of BK) and is very quick. But once that train hits 36th st in BK, it is as local as local gets, and the route is not exactly direct to Coney Island.

Not to mention it's probably going to wait at 36th st for a couple minutes and pull in at a snail's pace....

Geography first, then number of stops.

"Now" would appear to be too late. I think that your (N) was running local. This, right here, is the PM rush schedule:

Itinerary 1 [-]Collapse

Approx Travel Time : 29 minutes From CONEY ISLAND - STILLWELL AV STA D/F/N/Q

Take the DITMARS BLVD-ASTORIA bound N.png Train departing at 5:41 PM

Get off at ATLANTIC AV - BARCLAYS CTR STATION D/N/R at 6:10 PM

Pay Per Ride Fare : $2.25 - Reduced Fare : $1.10

Total Fare : $2.25 - Reduced Fare : $1.10

The (N) is officially faster.

Did you check the (Q)? NO. Don't throw up baseless claims.

EDIT: Ok, the (N) is faster, but I had no proof. The (N) still takes a longer route, and the simplest delay could set it back. The (Q) is the best route.

Did you check the (Q)? NO. Don't throw up baseless claims.

You see, the (Q) always runs local, so the time of day shouldn't matter.

The (N) still takes a longer route, and the simplest delay could set it back. The (Q) is the best route.

The simplest delay could also set the (Q) back. And I'm pretty sure that this wasn't a question about which line gets delayed more often.

Well, even of it goes "express", I have known the (N) to be held at 36th st...it goes at a snail's pace from 36th st to 59th. Once past 8th av, it goes quickly.

I have actually timed the (Q) to be faster.

I can't speak for your personal (N) versus (Q) experience, but if both trains are on schedule (which they might not have been), the (N) is faster.
But this is not the end-all be-all! It all depends on the time of day and whether the (N) is running EXP or LCL on 4th Ave.

Unless you often ride the subway at night (most people during the day, of course), the (N) is still faster.

Anyway, new question:

Which is faster from Borough Hall to 149th Street-Grand Concourse?

The (2) or (5)?

And:

Which is faster from Bergen Street to Queens? (21st Street-Queensbridge or Court Sq)

The (F) or (G)?

Well, it would appear that the (2)(4)(5) scheduled running times during PM rush are longer than afterwards, so I can't give an exact time. It depends on the time of day.

But, according to MTA trip planner, the (5) beats the (2) by about 3 minutes whatever time of day it is. The (G) beats the (F) by about 2 minutes.

Anyway, new question:

The (2) or (5)?

And:

Which is faster from Bergen Street to Queens? (21st Street-Queensbridge or Court Sq)

The (F) or (G)?

The (5) & the (G), respectively....

No schedule comparisons, no trip planner (or w/e it's called), none of that.... just going on personal experiences....

The 2/5 one I know b/c I have to ride out to 149th/3rd & walk up a couple blocks to get to this hobby shop I go to (Collectibles by Armada, if anyone ever heard of it)..... the 5 gets me there faster than the 2 every time....

If you are lucky enough to catch a Brighton EXP then get off at Sheepshead Bay (Not at Brighton Beach) and a Brighton LCL is arriving, you will leave the West End and Sea Beach in the dust.

Why not at Brighton? Do you run the risk of missing the Brighton LCL there since the Brighton EXP conductor has to de-zone before opening doors?

The (5) is an easy one as one line has many more stops, shorter express run and has to go over to the west side and back.

Which one station bypassed station do you enter faster (based on feel)?

42-TS (A) or 59 (4)(5)?

The (A), at least southbound. I always fly into that station, and it is awesome.

I'd imagine also the fact the (B) might switch tracks at Brighton Beach could eat up time.

Correct....no need waiting for the (B) to terminate, switch tracks and having to climb up stairs possibly MISSING the (Q) when you could have gotten off at the previous stop and simply waited across the platform.

Why not at Brighton? Do you run the risk of missing the Brighton LCL there since the Brighton EXP conductor has to de-zone before opening doors?

Because the (B) train might pull in on the N/B platform and you would have take the stairs to the S/B platform to continue your trip.

Anyway, new question:

The (2) or (5)?

And:

The (F) or (G)?

The (5), but knowing how the Lex line can get clogged during rush hours (if that's when the travel happens) the time difference isn't that significant.

Easily the (G), and it's not even close. From Bergen to Court Sq is 20 mins, MAX.

On the (F), it's about 30 (to Queensbridge).

I'd imagine also the fact the (B) might switch tracks at Brighton Beach could eat up time.

Correct....no need waiting for the (B) to terminate, switch tracks and having to climb up stairs possibly MISSING the (Q) when you could have gotten off at the previous stop and simply waited across the platform.

Because the (B) train might pull in on the N/B platform and you would have take the stairs to the S/B platform to continue your trip.

Forgot about all of that. Thanks guys.

^^ ....all that, as well as the SB (B) stalling b/w sheepshead bay & brighton beach to wait for one of the two B's at brighton beach to pull out......

The B doesn't even have to switch tracks south of sheepshead to eat up time.... when I first started going to high school (grady), I would end up late because of Q's (which was the brighton express at that time) stalling for 5+ mins before it would pull into brighton beach...... at the time, I could never figure out why people (and it would be a significant amt. of ppl. too, including students that were in my classes) would get off at sheepshead....

....and start pointing & laughin & shit when the D local would pass the Q I was on.......

Ya always switch at Sheepshead!

Anyway, which is faster from Court Square to 74th Street/Roosevelt Av?

The (7) (Local) or the (M)?

I'm going to say the (M). It makes fewer stops (I'm pretty sure, because it's the IND), and I don't think it has as sharp curves as the (7), also because it's the IND.

Archived