Either/Or Comparisons

TwoTimer

I'm going to say the (M). It makes fewer stops (I'm pretty sure, because it's the IND), and I don't think it has as sharp curves as the (7), also because it's the IND.

The (M) actually has a sharper curve at Steinway Street & Northern Boulevard, that the (7) has at Queens Blvd & Roosevelt...

You can select which train you want to take on TripPlanner, but yes, the (1) is a minute faster...Do you accept MetroCards :D?

5 Millon on MetroCards? Even I'm not that much of a foamer to use all of that!

Problem is, he said NTT's so you have to take ALL the NTT classes (R142/R142A/R143/R160 Alstom/R160 Siemens) into consideration. When you do that, the answer is R68 :huh:

I have a good one...

Which of these three northbound tube runs is not a "wrap tube" (A wrap tube is where you can just wrap it up and ignore the timers, assuming they are in effect).

(E)(M) 53st tube

(F) Rutgers tube

(N)(Q)(R) 60th tube

I just wanted to say that with the (C) and (1) I think the points I list below are the reasons why the (1) is faster, if it is indeed faster all or most of the time. In addition to these points, the timers may also have an effect but I am not as familiar with all of them as someone who has operated these lines, so I will let such a person elaborate if that person wishes to do so.

1. Its train sets weigh less than those on the (C).

2. The (1) has less waiting to do for connecting express trains at express stops because the two 7th Ave EXP services parallel each other more than the two CPW EXP services and the IRT lines run more frequently than the parallel IND lines. As a result, the (1) will keep it moving more than the (C) will if an express arrives across the platform, either because on the IRT the express and local will typically arrive within just a few seconds of each other or simultaneously resulting in short waiting periods for connecting trains, or because the passengers that come from the 7th Ave EXP train that is due there in another minute or two will have little waiting to do for the next 7th Ave LCL train since the 7th Ave LCL is more frequent than the two CPW LCL services combined. Also when it comes to keeping all the trains moving as quickly as possible, there is less of a penalty for letting trains sit and wait on most BMT/IND lines since the trains on most BMT/IND lines are not all on top of each other the way they are on the IRT lines. The exceptions are the Canarsie line (L) and perhaps the 8th Ave EXP-Fulton St EXP (A) as both are more frequent than the other BMT/IND lines.

Also the 7th Ave LCL shares tracks with no other service during daytime hours while the CPW LCL-8th Ave LCL service does (CPW LCL-6th Ave EXP and Queens Blvd EXP-8th Ave LCL while traveling between 168 and Penn Sta).

60th tube. While it is the fastest of all the tubes, it has the fastest timers in the tube. Most trains can get through wrapped, but the fastest Siemens R160 will hit the last one. The other two will clear no matter what.

60th Street most def, trains DO fly in and out (except for the (R) train) and only occasionally you will get stopped at a timer. I've been riding the (N)/(Q) through that tube for 2 years (3 come September) and I've only been stopped in that tunnel 5 times... The 53rd St tube I frequently ride too, and trains just aren't as fast as in the 60th st tube ...

Depending on what mood I'm in (or how lazy I am), coming from flushing, instead of staying on the (7) & taking it into manhattan, I would get off & wait for the (Q) at QBP partly for that reason alone...... there's nowhere else in the system I can think of where trains move like they do in the 60th st tubes.... feels like you're riding a commuter RR w/i that stint......

As far as the (1) vs (C), train weight has nothing to do with it, its all velocity and both trains get roughly the same station to station. The express station dwell time has nothing to do with it either (forget that long paragraph BrooklynIRT said). It's a myth that the (C) dwells longer in the express stations than the (1). Its all ridership patterns. Even if the (C) spent more time in express stations, the (1) local stations are more heavily used than the (C) local stations, if its during the week (and the (B) is running). If the (B) isn't running, its equal. The only thing the (1) can say is that the only thing that can hold it up is its leader, whereas a (B) or (E) can hold up a (C), and its uncommon for a (C) to sail thru from 145 to 34 without being held up somewhere.

Archived