To equal a predecessor, one must have twice they worth…XD60s Come To NYC!

The Real

That bus looks amazing! Does anyone know when these bad boys are going to hit revenue service?

As far as the whole cheap/not cheap thing is concerned, I'm with Cait Sith. There really is no comparison between actual cheap buses (i.e. Gilligs) and the stuff (MTA) has; they run Advantages and El Dorado EZ-Riders on the Boston/Cambridge EZ-Ride shuttle and those things rattle like tin cans. They don't much like snow or obnoxious weather either, and you can sometimes hear the engines straining and the suspensions groaning even under fairly good condition. A lot of the MBTA NABIs are only somewhat better; they don't really ride all that well or feel too solid when you're on them.

The LFS/A, on the other hand, is pretty damn sturdy. The 1200s have survived their first two winters (including their first real winter) in NYC, and are holding up quite nicely when you consider how hard they're run and how packed they get on SBS runs (especially on the Bx12), and I haven't really heard much about buses dropping in the heat or the cold. The 8000s are some of the speediest little buggers I've been on in quite some time (that's probably partially due to the fact that they have the same engine as the artics despite being smaller and lighter) and from what I've seen the 5000s seem to be holding up with only a few teething issues.

You want cheap? Go ride a Gillig. The LFS/LFSA line of buses have been some of the strongest buses to ever be built. The fact that they have a better structural build over some of the other competitors speaks volumes. And there is no way they can look "cheap" when they are 90% built the same way as the 1200s...just a few minor changes.

Besides, the real reason why most of the people has a dislike towards the 8000s and 5000s is because they don't make the same noises as the 1200s.....oh give me a break, go take that somewhere else!!

At the end of the day, it's all about performance and how well they hold up.

I have ridden Gilligs. In Florida. And they suck donkey a$$, IMO 1000x worse than most any bus you'll see up here INCLUDING the NJT NABIs. I never called the LFS/A a "bad bus", I just don't like the way it looks, but really a lot of that has to do with (MTA) specs anyway like the difference in the interior from the 1200s and the 8000s and 5-6000s, though really I find the Xcelsior and 3G Orion interiors much nicer even though they're spec'd very similarly. It's just something about those LFS/A interiors that just seems so different. The LFS/A is a great bus performance-wise, and it sure as hell isn't on my sh*t list.

BTW, really, we have to start dissing Orion? I never said the LFS/A sucks, I said it looks cheap, at least the (MTA) ones.

How many of these are hitting us and which depots are they going to?

90 buses total, 30 buses to Tuskegee Airmen Depot, 30 buses to Kingsbridge Depot, and 30 buses to Gun Hill Depot.

I have ridden Gilligs. In Florida. And they suck donkey a$$, IMO 1000x worse than most any bus you'll see up here INCLUDING the NJT NABIs. I never called the LFS/A a "bad bus", I just don't like the way it looks, but really a lot of that has to do with (MTA) specs anyway like the difference in the interior from the 1200s and the 8000s and 5-6000s, though really I find the Xcelsior and 3G Orion interiors much nicer even though they're spec'd very similarly. It's just something about those LFS/A interiors that just seems so different. The LFS/A is a great bus performance-wise, and it sure as hell isn't on my sh*t list.

BTW, really, we have to start dissing Orion? I never said the LFS/A sucks, I said it looks cheap, at least the (MTA) ones.

Its not a diss, its fact, I was at the Orion plant two weeks ago and quality controlled a brand new Orion 7 BRT for MiWay. Rust patched on the frames and body bulge on two completed buses.

Its not a diss, its fact, I was at the Orion plant two weeks ago and quality controlled a brand new Orion 7 BRT for MiWay. Rust patched on the frames and body bulge on two completed buses.

Maybe in-house quality control is slipping due to imminent plant closure and division shutdown?

Maybe in-house quality control is slipping due to imminent plant closure and division shutdown?

Na, this has been something about Orion for years, especially in bulkhead areas....bad frame rot, but until two weeks ago, I had no idea that it existed on buses not even delivered yet...

Na, this has been something about Orion for years, especially in bulkhead areas....bad frame rot, but until two weeks ago, I had no idea that it existed on buses not even delivered yet...

No bus builder is perfect. But, I'll be glad to remind you all about Orion's Altoona record... Yeah, terrible, terrible products come out of that Oriskany plant (and I'm not saying you think Orion is terrible or anything).

Just remember, those 1200s are BT&E units. Just sayin'

No bus builder is perfect. But, I'll be glad to remind you all about Orion's Altoona record... Yeah, terrible, terrible products come out of that Oriskany plant (and I'm not saying you think Orion is terrible or anything).

Oh you mean the RECENT Altoona record on the Orion 7, the Altoona record that took 11 years to perfect? That record? Please...

I first hand know no bus builder is perfect, industry guy here for almost 14 years from driving to management to being around bus builders (been to the Nova, Orion, New Flyer (MN), MCI and NABI plants). I know the flaws of each, but a company that was toting its Altoon report like the bible should not have had the things I found.

Folks beating up on Nova is beating up on Nova based on personal feelings and not the facts, the facts are that the LFSA 5000-6000 Series is superior to the 1200s. The fact is that the Xcelsiors, as pretty as they are (and I do like them), have been electrical nightmares at several properties (including the MTA, see example vid below).

My whole argument is, if you don't like any bus, just say you don't like it and not follow it up with nonsensical excuses as to why to not like a bus unless you can back up your argument with fact, that's all I'm saying. And I'll back mines up...trust!

Need I remind you, the Orion 7 SPLIT IN HALF on the shaker table which is why you have that beam and fastener system down the middle of the roof....NEXT!

90 buses total, 30 buses to Tuskegee Airmen Depot, 30 buses to Kingsbridge Depot, and 30 buses to Gun Hill Depot.

BT&E I see to bad they couldnt test them in Brooklyn and in staten island. Similar to the other BT&E busses.

Last time I checked: TG (Tuskegee) is out... so now MJQ is out and TG back in?

Something tells me that GH could be out and FB is in.

Last time I checked: TG (Tuskegee) is out... so now MJQ is out and TG back in?

Something tells me that GH could be out and FB is in.

As of last deployment report, TG-GH-KB, but will tripple check.

As of last deployment report, TG-GH-KB, but will tripple check.

Okay, no problem.. and if I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

I'd be very surprised if Quill is out of the picture, and it could be b/c of their 2nd delivery of LFS/A's coming prolly in August/Sept.

I'm very surprised that these LFSA buses are coming in rapidly. WF just started receiving their 2nd batch of buses. Theres a pic of 5938 at WF as of thurs.

edit: question, are these buses true artics like the D60s are like the LFSAs with the rotating trailer?

Yes!

BT&E I see to bad they couldnt test them in Brooklyn and in staten island. Similar to the other BT&E busses.

Because this is an Articulated test program, they are going to run the buses out of depots that have Nova's.

What I like about these buses after taking a second and third look at the pics:

1. The shaved the corners to the meeting edges of the two halves of the bus. Most people, if they pay attention, know that those corners are an annoying little strike zone that really can't be fixed in the depot without a good amount of down time for the bus. Thats why in most depots, they don't get fixed when they get hit (KB to be specific)

2. They improved the seating arrangement from the 5xxx LFSA's (which was a huge improvement on the 12xx LFSA's in itself). And no more conversation seats in the back (hate those things).

3. To me, they just look nicer than the LFSA (maybe I'm just New Flyer bias).

Would have loved to see these with the full BRT roof though...

Archived