1977 Bronx Bus Map

Where are all the express buses? ;)

In any case, is that some kind of Hunt's Point loop buses or something there?

And it's interesting that there was no service along White Plains Road. It must've sucked that people in Soundview/Clason's Point didn't have access to an express station (Neither Parkchester on the <6>, and of course, Simpson Street isn't an express station).

And it's interesting that there was no service along White Plains Road. It must've sucked that people in Soundview/Clason's Point didn't have access to an express station (Neither Parkchester on the <6>, and of course, Simpson Street isn't an express station).

Checkmate keep in mind this is 1977. "Manhattan" express to/from the Bronx were under private control.The current eastchester buses were then owned by NY Bus service. While Yonkers depot was owned by Liberty Lines. Even (MTA) owned express buses were not on the maps then.

Checkmate keep in mind this is 1977. "Manhattan" express to/from the Bronx were under private control.The current eastchester buses were then owned by NY Bus service. While Yonkers depot was owned by Liberty Lines. Even (MTA) owned express buses were not on the maps then.

Yeah, I was just kidding. Bronx express buses didn't even appear on the map until around 2005 IIRC. I have a Brooklyn 1990 map that shows express buses, though (but only the NYCT ones. The MTAB ones didn't show up until around 2006. I know the Bronx was the first borough to show the MTAB ones).

The 1990 map is similar in format to the 1977 one, so I wonder if the Brooklyn express buses were on at that time. (I don't think the X27/28/29 started as private routes. I think they were NYCTA-owned from the start).

Shh, don't mention it here... ;)

There were two versions of the Bx34 (now the Bx6 today). One was the normal service that terminated at Halleck St, and the other one was the Hunts Point Shuttle that ran within the neighnorhood (and inside the market itself) weekday rush hours only. It's presented like that as well in the 1974 map.

Well there was the Bx54. Unless you're talking about northern White Plains Rd, there was the Bx22 (Bx13 back then) I'd like to point out that there was a Bx22 branch to Clasons Point (1984 map), possibly because of no WPR service as you pointed out.

Checkmate keep in mind this is 1977... Even (MTA) owned express buses were not on the maps then.
Was the X62 owned by MTA? According to the 1984 Map, that was the only express route shown.

1) Well there was the Bx54. Unless you're talking about northern White Plains Rd, there was the Bx22 (Bx13 back then) I'd like to point out that there was a Bx22 branch to Clasons Point (1984 map), possibly because of no WPR service as you pointed out.

2) Was the X62 owned by MTA? According to the 1984 Map, that was the only express route shown.

1) I was actually thinking of the area deep into Soundview/Clason's Point, all the way at the end of the Bx27. But taking a closer look, White Plains Road didn't actually extend all the way into that area, so there was no good way to create a route going all the way to the tip of Clason's Point. (But I guess if the road didn't go all the way there, there probably weren't a whole lot of people living there, so maybe a second route wasn't warranted after all).

2) I never heard of any route called the X62. Which ares did it serve?

1) I was actually thinking of the area deep into Soundview/Clason's Point, all the way at the end of the Bx27. But taking a closer look, White Plains Road didn't actually extend all the way into that area, so there was no good way to create a route going all the way to the tip of Clason's Point. (But I guess if the road didn't go all the way there, there probably weren't a whole lot of people living there, so maybe a second route wasn't warranted after all).

2) I never heard of any route called the X62. Which ares did it serve?

I meant the X61, my apologies.

I didn't notice that until now, but according to the 1984 map, a road was built there. This is just a guess, but wasn't it because of the shopping center in that area?

I meant the X61, my apologies.

I didn't notice that until now, but according to the 1984 map, a road was built there. This is just a guess, but wasn't it because of the shopping center in that area?

Presumably so, if it was shown on the map. I'm not really good with the history of the routes (outside of a little bit of the SI routes). I would assume the people in Riverdale wanted a route to avoid the subway, and then when the city started the route, Liberty Lines stepped in and took it over because they felt it was profitable.

For anybody who's interested, the X61 was similar to todays' BxM18: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_local_and_express_multi-borough_bus_routes_in_New_York_City (I mean, it did say it was operated by NYCTA, so I guess that was the case)

This ima download........

Excellent finding man! Man to bad the M100 isn't apart of the Bronx anymore, it would be a one seat ride from Riverdale to Harlem :P

For the Bx34 (now Bx6), I see it went further inside the Hunts Point area, even close to Barretto park. I wonder what lead the TA to cut the route via Randall, Tiffany & Viele...

Edit, the Bx12 via Shore Road (NOT ORCHARD) ends along there. Makes me wonder if the W45 is the reason for this being discontinued..

This ima download........

Excellent finding man! Man to bad the M100 isn't apart of the Bronx anymore, it would be a one seat ride from Riverdale to Harlem :P

According to Shortline, it was a 2 hour ride so it must've been one hell of a ride. More info as to why the M100 no longer serves Riverdale since March 1989.

For the Bx34 (now Bx6), I see it went further inside the Hunts Point area, even close to Barretto park. I wonder what lead the TA to cut the route via Randall, Tiffany & Viele...
All I know is that it no longer existed by 1991.

Edit, the Bx12 via Shore Road (NOT ORCHARD) ends along there. Makes me wonder if the W45 is the reason for this being discontinued..
That, and because of low ridership for that branch.

The Bx49 along Woodycrest and Anderson Aves really caught my attention, makes me wonder if Highbridge had actually seen a decrease in population between then and now.

I'd also assume the (MTA) didn't like the idea of the Bx18 making a U-Turn on University Ave as it ran down Andrews Ave instead, that would have been interesting to see.

I wonder also if 3 Ave was a one way street, I notice the Bx29 (Current Bx15) and Bx55 go Northbound on 3 Ave and return Southbound on Washington Ave. Another possibility is a much high population along Washington Ave before than there is today since Washington Ave has quite a few abandoned buildings and is a large one way street.

I wonder what made them cut the former Bx7 via Boston Road? It would have been useful today....

It really dosen't look like a route that would have had much ridership, the section below Gun Hill Road is not really much of a residential area and most people in that area that need to get around own vehicles. The section above Gun Hill Road is currently served by the Bx30. And the (2) train line is not too far from these areas either

I had found a copy of this map in my grandmother's house in the late 70's or early 80's. Don't know why she had it. I thought it was interesting, as it was the first map of the new design I had ever seen. We were still using the old 1974 era Brooklyn maps.

Wow, there's a 21 route that runs from Astoria via the Triboro to the Bronx. I didn't think there was route that did run from Queens to the Bronx on the Triboro.

- The Bx33 still runs to Port Morris.

- The BX31 on that map is similar to the Bx17 today, but it runs on the modern Bx19 route.

- The 1977 Bx32 runs on St. Ann's Avenue.

Wow, there's a 21 route that runs from Astoria via the Triboro to the Bronx. I didn't think there was route that did run from Queens to the Bronx on the Triboro.

- The Bx33 still runs to Port Morris.

- The BX31 on that map is similar to the Bx17 today, but it runs on the modern Bx19 route.

- The 1977 Bx32 runs on St. Ann's Avenue.

A Bronx-LGA route via the now called RFK Triboro would be a success and useful right now. Thus why in 2008, before the '10 doomsday cuts, there was plans by the (MTA) to run a bus between Fordham and LGA.

A Bronx-LGA route via the now called RFK Triboro would be a success and useful right now. Thus why in 2008, before the '10 doomsday cuts, there was plans by the (MTA) to run a bus between Fordham and LGA.

Never heard of those plans. Is Fordham a hub of sorts?

Never heard of those plans. Is Fordham a hub of sorts?

It is quite an active shopping area and transportation hub as well you've got the Bx9, Bx12, Bx15, Bx22, Bx55, Bx41, W60, W61, W62 and Metro-North that all connect at the plaza.

Archived