1977 Bronx Bus Map

This map is as old as me and I remember these routes even as their old numbers.

The bx12 up shore road was the split rock golf course bus. Low ridership. Has nothing to do with w45 service

The bx52 was the co-op-orchard bch shuttle. Ran summer's only.

The blank section of white Plains road never really needed service with the 54(formallythe 5A before 1977) a few blocks away. Soundview residents (igrew up on the edge of soundview) wasn't picky about having a bus to an express station, like more people are now, back then. The bus to subway transfer didn't come about till the late 90s. We either walked to it, or paid two fares and if that's the case, most took the 5 or 54 to hunts point.

The then bx31 got renumbered the 19(along with most bx routes) back in 1983.

Any questions feel free to ask. I remember as far back as 1981!

And here's a little trivia fact, until the late 70s, there was a Bx5, Bx5A and a Bx5B. Can anyone answer which became what by the 1980s?

The Bx49 along Woodycrest and Anderson Aves really caught my attention, makes me wonder if Highbridge had actually seen a decrease in population between then and now.
The Bx49 was combined with the Bx13 in 1984, but was axed in 1987. What's interesting is that the Bx49 terminated at 168 St/Walton and Morrisania Hospital during the week and 168/Nelson other times (1974).

I wonder also if 3 Ave was a one way street, I notice the Bx29 (Current Bx15) and Bx55 go Northbound on 3 Ave and return Southbound on Washington Ave. Another possibility is a much high population along Washington Ave before than there is today since Washington Ave has quite a few abandoned buildings and is a large one way street.
Yep, 3rd Ave was one way. Sometime around the early '80s, it became two-way. Perhaps cotb16 knows an actual date?

What is this Bx52? Andi see a Bx12 to City Island...
Co-op City residents used the Bx52 to access Orchard Beach. Axed in 1990.

There was no Bay Plaza at that time, so the Bx12 went to City Island. In 1990, the Bx29 was created to replace the Bx12 City Island branch, running to Pelham Bay as a shuttle and later to Bay Plaza (confirmation, please?).

The bx12 up shore road was the split rock golf course bus. Low ridership. Has nothing to do with w45 service

The blank section of white Plains road never really needed service with the 54(formallythe 5A before 1977) a few blocks away.

And here's a little trivia fact, until the late 70s, there was a Bx5, Bx5A and a Bx5B. Can anyone answer which became what by the 1980s?

Well, the W45 partially replaced that branch, right? That's what I wanted to say. :P Btw, there was no Bx5A by June 1974. The Bx5A was renamed the Bx54. Bx5B; don't know lol.

I think part of that old 40 routing/setup should be revived, to tell the truth..... Never did like the Bx8 ending in Locust pt....

They could use the Bx42 to Locust Point while preserving the Bx8.

I remember these days fondly as I grew up in the Bronx during the 1970s. I also have plenty of these maps buried somewhere in my mother's house.

Where are all the express buses? ;)

In any case, is that some kind of Hunt's Point loop buses or something there?

And it's interesting that there was no service along White Plains Road. It must've sucked that people in Soundview/Clason's Point didn't have access to an express station (Neither Parkchester on the <6>, and of course, Simpson Street isn't an express station).

Yeah, I was just kidding. Bronx express buses didn't even appear on the map until around 2005 IIRC. I have a Brooklyn 1990 map that shows express buses, though (but only the NYCT ones. The MTAB ones didn't show up until around 2006. I know the Bronx was the first borough to show the MTAB ones).

The 1990 map is similar in format to the 1977 one, so I wonder if the Brooklyn express buses were on at that time. (I don't think the X27/28/29 started as private routes. I think they were NYCTA-owned from the start).

Yes, the DOT PBL express routes didn't appear on bus maps in those days. In those days the X27 was a Fifth Ave route and X28 & X29 operated from Ulmer Park.

Hunts Point had two services. T

he regular Bx34 (Todays's Bx6). Also there was also a weekday shuttle route. The Bx34A shuttle operated around the market.

I meant the X61, my apologies.

I didn't notice that until now, but according to the 1984 map, a road was built there. This is just a guess, but wasn't it because of the shopping center in that area?

Presumably so, if it was shown on the map. I'm not really good with the history of the routes (outside of a little bit of the SI routes). I would assume the people in Riverdale wanted a route to avoid the subway, and then when the city started the route, Liberty Lines stepped in and took it over because they felt it was profitable.

For anybody who's interested, the X61 was similar to todays' BxM18: http://en.wikipedia....n_New_York_City (I mean, it did say it was operated by NYCTA, so I guess that was the case)

I notice that a lot of routes aren't running with the same numbers they did in 1977.

Most Bronx route numbers changed with the huge changes of the early/mid 1980s. That was a very exciting time as as routes, route numbers, depot assignments and bus moves happened all at once.

The X61 was indeed a TA route. It operated from KB.

The Bx49 along Woodycrest and Anderson Aves really caught my attention, makes me wonder if Highbridge had actually seen a decrease in population between then and now.

I'd also assume the (MTA) didn't like the idea of the Bx18 making a U-Turn on University Ave as it ran down Andrews Ave instead, that would have been interesting to see.

I wonder also if 3 Ave was a one way street, I notice the Bx29 (Current Bx15) and Bx55 go Northbound on 3 Ave and return Southbound on Washington Ave. Another possibility is a much high population along Washington Ave before than there is today since Washington Ave has quite a few abandoned buildings and is a large one way street.

Highbridge was densly populated in those days as it still is today. The Bx49 was one of those routes that never had more than a few passengers.

Yes, Third Ave was one-way northbound. it was converted to one-way traffic flow when the IRT Third Ave el (#8) was discontinued and replaced with the newly created Bx55 bus in 1973. In those days the Bx55 (and Bx29) operated n/b along Third Av e and S/b along Washington Ave. The Bx55 was such a fun route back in those days as they made very good time along Third Ave and Washington Aves. I always thought they got really slow once Third Ave was converted back to two-way traffic flow. For those wondering... the Bx55 operated from KB from day one up til the old KB closed, then it went to the newly operned Gun Hill. Of course the route went back to the current KB when it opened.

I have questions to ask. Any details about:

Bx1's service loss at Riverdale Av?

Bx5 cutback to Pelham Bay and extension to Orchard Beach?

Bx6 restructuring at Hunts Point? All I know is that the shuttle no longer existed in 1991.

The Bx14 entering at Hospital Rd (near the Hutchenson River Pkwy)?

Bx39 Sedgwick Av service? Both '74 and '77 maps don't mention it at all.

I think part of that old 40 routing/setup should be revived, to tell the truth..... Never did like the Bx8 ending in Locust pt....
I doubt Locust Point riders would give up Bx8 access to Crosby Av. After all, they didn't like the Bx8 via Country Club and Pelham Bay. If Bx42 ever goes to Locust Point, then Harding Av would have no bus service.

I remember these days fondly as I grew up in the Bronx during the 1970s. I also have plenty of these maps buried somewhere in my mother's house.

I always thought they got really slow once Third Ave was converted back to two-way traffic flow.

Any '70s-'90s maps? :)

What year was 3rd Av converted to 2 way?

I was actually thinking about leaving the 42 alone & changing the 40 to serve suny maritime, locust pt, and edgewater park all in the same trip (still ending at suny maritime), then going on to run LTD north/west of westchester sq...... Since the 40 uses artics though, that would be shot to hell anyway.....

I doubt Locust Point riders would give up Bx8 access to Crosby Av. After all, they didn't like the Bx8 via Country Club and Pelham Bay.

I agree, they wouldn't give it up.....

I thought it was only country club that bitched about that bx8 alteration.... locust pt. had a gripe with that reroute also?

no wonder they were so quick to revert the route.....

I was actually thinking about leaving the 42 alone & changing the 40 to serve suny maritime, locust pt, and edgewater park all in the same trip (still ending at suny maritime), then going on to run LTD north/west of westchester sq...... Since the 40 uses artics though, that would be shot to hell anyway.....
It's possible (somewhat). I believe that Ft. Schuyler and Locust Point buses went to Edgewater Park, (except for Throgs Neck buses) before heading to their respective terminals in both directions. A split service would work (sort of like the (A) to Lefferts and Far Rockaway), but LP might not want the Bx40 if they didn't mind losing it in 1989.

I agree, they wouldn't give it up.....

I thought it was only country club that bitched about that bx8 alteration.... locust pt. had a gripe with that reroute also?

no wonder they were so quick to revert the route.....

There was a PDF file that fully explained why these neighborhoods objected the Bx8 reroute, but it seems that it's deleted...

Did the Bx5 ever have a branch on Bruckner Boulevard between Bronx River Avenue and White Plains Road? Was there ever any bus along that stretch at all?

If there wasn't in 1977, then there never was. There's no need for a bus there, as far as I know...

The bx12 up shore road was the split rock golf course bus. Low ridership.

The "Golf Shuttle" never carried anybody. It was the highest-seniority pick in the OA, so the TWU jealously protected it from elimination for many, many years.

The bx52 was the co-op-orchard bch shuttle. Ran summer's only.

IIRC, it ran closed-door - i.e. nobody was allowed to ride it locally within Co-op City.

The then bx31 got renumbered the 19(along with most bx routes) back in 1983.

The "great renumbering" happened in February 1984. Most routes simply got new numbers, but soem were restructured.

What's now the Bx19 is a combination of the old Bx31 (Southern Blvd) and Bx30 (149th Street Crosstown).

Bx5 remained.

Bx5A became Bx54 ("A" looks a little like "4"). It was killed in 1989 and replaced with Bx5 short trips (former Bx53) and rerouted Bx14.

Bx5B became Bx53 ("B" looks a little like "3"). It's still running in the form of Bx5 short trips to Turnbull & Pugsley.

I have questions to ask. Any details about:

Bx1's service loss at Riverdale Av?

Bx5 cutback to Pelham Bay and extension to Orchard Beach?

Bx6 restructuring at Hunts Point? All I know is that the shuttle no longer existed in 1991.

The Bx14 entering at Hospital Rd (near the Hutchenson River Pkwy)?

Bx39 Sedgwick Av service? Both '74 and '77 maps don't mention it at all.

The Pelham Pkway Bx5 was cut back around the late 80s early 90s. buses basically ran empty after Pelham Bay. Beach buses have been around all my life.

The Bx6 restructuring happened gradually during the 80s.

The Bx14 was replaced in the Hospital by the Bx21 around the same time the 14 was extended to parkchester

Sedgwick ave.... not sure nor the Bx1

Did the Bx5 ever have a branch on Bruckner Boulevard between Bronx River Avenue and White Plains Road? Was there ever any bus along that stretch at all?

I grew up on Evergreen between Bruckner and Story. The only bus to run on that stretch were express buses whose only stop (NYBS) was at White plains road. BxM11 (LLE) only used that stretch between the Bx River draw bridge and the Bx River Parkway,

The only time youd see local buses on that stretch was for detours for the Bx4/Bx5/Bx27 buses when needed (usually because of a big fire or a derailment on the Pelham el

What's now the Bx19 is a combination of the old Bx31 (Southern Blvd) and Bx30 (149th Street Crosstown).

And, on another note, the reason why the old Bx30/31 ended around 142nd St & Southern Blvd was because that was the old location of Lincoln Hospital (until moving to its present location on 149th & Morris in 1976).

i didnt know there was a Bx6A/B/C. I remember my uncle talking about the old Bx6 from throgs neck to westchester square back when the current 6 was the 34.
I don't remember which branch terminated where (Throgs Neck, Ft Schuyler, and Locust Point), but what I can say is the Bx40 originally terminated at Bruckner Blvd, according to the 1967 map.

If there wasn't in 1977, then there never was. There's no need for a bus there, as far as I know...

I find an interesting way to find out about old routes is to look at roll signs for sale on Ebay. I'm not interested in buying one at ridiculous rates but the roll sign is displayed in sections so you can see the readings. From Walnut Division, 11/78, Bx5 readings are:

Bx5 Story Av White Plains Rd Bx5 Story Av- Bruckner Blvd- Pelham Pkwy Astor Av- Laconia Av Bx5 Bruckner Blvd- Story Av Southern Blvd- West Farms Rd Bx5 Story Av- Bruckner Boulevard Pelham Bay Orchard Beach

I find an interesting way to find out about old routes is to look at roll signs for sale on Ebay. I'm not interested in buying one at ridiculous rates but the roll sign is displayed in sections so you can see the readings. From Walnut Division, 11/78, Bx5 readings are:

Bx5 Story Av White Plains Rd Bx5 Story Av- Bruckner Blvd- Pelham Pkwy Astor Av- Laconia Av Bx5 Bruckner Blvd- Story Av Southern Blvd- West Farms Rd Bx5 Story Av- Bruckner Boulevard Pelham Bay Orchard Beach

Those sign readings would be from a Coliseum depot sign. Walnut depot wasn't used as a regular depot until the original West Farms depot closed in the mid-1980s.

Those sign readings would be from a Coliseum depot sign. Walnut depot wasn't used as a regular depot until the original West Farms depot closed in the mid-1980s.

I double checked and I wrote the wrong year from the roll sign. The correct year is 1986. The date I wrote came from an Ulmer Park roll sign.

The readings I wrote were in two colors, route number and route in Blue on the left and destination on the right-hand side in Red.

I have a MABTOA roll sign book from December 1965. The Coliseum Depot readings are in White on Opaque black bacground:

5 to WESTCHESTER AVE 5 TO HUNTS POINT 5 TO PELHAM BAY PARK

5A TO WESTCHESTER AVE 5A TO HUNTS POINT 5A TO PARKCHESTER 5A TO HUGH GRANT CIRCLE

The corresponding side signs are

5 BRUCKNER BLVD 5A STORY AVE PARKCHESTER

• 3 years later...

Where are all the express buses? ;)

In any case, is that some kind of Hunt's Point loop buses or something there?

And it's interesting that there was no service along White Plains Road. It must've sucked that people in Soundview/Clason's Point didn't have access to an express station (Neither Parkchester on the <6>, and of course, Simpson Street isn't an express station).

This was way before the merger. X61, the Bronx' first & only MABSTOA/NYCTA express route running from 262nd St & Broadway to Peck Slip & Water Street  didn't start service until 1978. The old Bx34S was formally the name of the old Hunts Point Loop 

• 2 years later...
On 7/7/2012 at 8:56 AM, nostalgia said:

I have a MABTOA roll sign book from December 1965. The Coliseum Depot readings are in White on Opaque black bacground:

5 to WESTCHESTER AVE 5 TO HUNTS POINT 5 TO PELHAM BAY PARK

5A TO WESTCHESTER AVE 5A TO HUNTS POINT 5A TO PARKCHESTER 5A TO HUGH GRANT CIRCLE

The corresponding side signs are

5 BRUCKNER BLVD 5A STORY AVE PARKCHESTER

I am curious as to whether, at that point, in Manhattan the 2 - Fifth and Seventh Avenues route was still out of 132nd Street; I know upon the January 1966 one-way conversions of Fifth Avenue to southbound and Madison Avenue to northbound, it was moved to 146th Street as MaBSTOA operationally combined it with 2 - Park and Madison Avenues via 116th Street which was there already, and set up a Seventh Avenue branch (which was summarily designated 2A through 1974) and a Lenox Avenue branch.  And also, after the March 1969 startup of 101A - Third, Lexington and Lenox Avenues, how side signs of that would have read.  I've yet to see a photo from the early '70's period of 101A being read on side signs of 'batwings', either '101 3RD-LEX-AMST AVES' or, in one extreme case, '2 5TH & MADISON VIA LENOX'.

I also have info on most farebox codes, but what would have been the code for 12th Street depot?

Archived