Question about Deadheading....

WRJ518

When a bus operator deadheads from (for example) the depot to a bus route's starting point, are you allowed to use any street you like as long as you get to the staring point on-time? or are you given a pre-established deadhead route? I've always wondered about this...

Pre-established route since there are many streets buses cannot or are not supposed to use. However the pre-established routes are not strongly enforced. Bus ops do use undocumented deadhead routes that will get them to the starting point on-time, but they do not use streets that buses are not supposed to use.

And sometimes they use the wrong route. Last year I saw a B49 deadheading from the depot passing Sheepshead Bay Station to get to Manhattan Beach. . I asked why since it seemed to be a needless waste of time. I was told the driver was new and made a mistake and would be reinstructed.

I've seen some odd deadheads from Quill B/Os in my time, favorite was one op who took an RTS down Bleecker St. My guess is he was headed for the M9 or M21 or something, but he got to 6th ave. and Bleecker and looked completely out of place.

Not really a deadhead but just something I saw yesterday, MJQ buses 5202 and 5214 heading down the West Side Highway in the 120s. Is that some strange deadhead or buses coming back from Zerega?

I've seen some odd deadheads from Quill B/Os in my time, favorite was one op who took an RTS down Bleecker St. My guess is he was headed for the M9 or M21 or something, but he got to 6th ave. and Bleecker and looked completely out of place.

Not really a deadhead but just something I saw yesterday, MJQ buses 5202 and 5214 heading down the West Side Highway in the 120s. Is that some strange deadhead or buses coming back from Zerega?

Probably some M98's

Of course there will be some B/O's taking on different routes & not always the path they're ordered to deadhead on. I've seen some Q46's take some small streets to deadhead to the beginning of the route or the depot. I saw an CS & CP Orion V on two seperate occasions on Union to deadhead to Flushing probably. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the assigned route to go as I roughly ever seen an Orion V use Union Tpke to deadhead somewhere. While I was in Manhattan, I've witnessed a few RTS's deadheaded on different streets off from 42st to 8ve and another time staying on 42nd St. I'm not 100% sure as I'm not an daily Manhattan person but I have an idea that those deadheads performed were done in their own will by the B/O.

A few months ago I saw something really weird: Quill RTS signed as a M104 operating southwest on Hamilton Place (this is in Hamilton Heights, near CCNY), then east on 138 St (tight left turn at 138/HP!), then south on Amsterdam. No idea what that was about since the M104 ends half a mile south of there at 129/Amsterdam.

I know for Fresh Pond most pull outs are south on fresh pond road to myrtle ave then to Ridgewood terminal, but most operators head to Putnam ave and use the Q58 route because myrtle can be treacherous with traffic during the P.M. Your just out of luck if you get into an accident off route. The first thing the MTA going to say is you not suppose to be here.

Sometimes when I go to Little Red Lighthouse in 180s, I have spotted RTS deadheading NB on Henry Hudson Parkway.

Wait, what? I thought that the Henry Hudson Parkway/West Side Highway was off limits to buses above 59 St due to weight and vehicle size regulations; if that B/O got caught he could wind up in serious trouble.

Wait, what? I thought that the Henry Hudson Parkway/West Side Highway was off limits to buses above 59 St due to weight and vehicle size regulations; if that B/O got caught he could wind up in serious trouble.

That's part of why I was surprised to see two Quill RTSes in a row there a few days ago. You never see buses on the WSH up there. It could be for the M98 like youngblaze said, but that's a weird way to go.

And sometimes they use the wrong route. Last year I saw a B49 deadheading from the depot passing Sheepshead Bay Station to get to Manhattan Beach. . I asked why since it seemed to be a needless waste of time. I was told the driver was new and made a mistake and would be reinstructed.

Maybe he felt he had to follow the exact B49 route because he was working the B49.

I once met a driver on the Q36 who believed the same thing. When he deadheaded from Floral Park back to 165th Street, he felt that he was required to follow the Q36 route (because he was working the Q36) instead of the much quicker Q1 route on Braddock, and that only drivers working the Q1 were allowed to use the Q1 route.

Guest MTA Bus

For the LGA routes that deadhead to Queens Plaza, I think they take Astoria Blvd to 21st St. I always see a couple of Q39 deadheads on 21st St going to Queens Plaza. Same for the express routes, except they take the Queensboro Bridge or Queens Midtown Tunnel.

For the LGA routes that deadhead to Queens Plaza, I think they take Astoria Blvd to 21st St. I always see a couple of Q39 deadheads on 21st St going to Queens Plaza. Same for the express routes, except they take the Queensboro Bridge or Queens Midtown Tunnel.

I've seen the Q39s run there. It's funny, because the deadhead buses always seem to have either "Not In Service" or the Q39 designation.

You were told? You complained about the bus passing the station or something?

FYI: our deadhead for the B49s are similar to our POs to Shore Parkway on the B44 --

Pullout from Flatbush Depot via Fillmore Ave, right on Utica Avenue, left-merge onto Flatbush Avenue, right on Avenue U, left on Gerritsen Avenue, slight right onto Knapp Street, right on Emmons, left on West End Avenue, left on Oriental Boulevard. Total DH time given is 20 minutes. There's times where I've pulled out on time to the 49, but got caught up in traffic on Emmons and got to the loop 6-8 minutes late. That f**ked my whole trip.

You were told? You complained about the bus passing the station or something?

FYI: our deadhead for the B49s are similar to our POs to Shore Parkway on the B44 --

Damn right I complained. Why was he wasting 8 minutes using the route to the station if he was out of service and not picking up passengers.? If he wasn't going to use Knapp, he could have at least gone straight down Ocean.

It annoyed me since the MTA told me the reason they couldn't run buses in service to Avenue U or Avenue S when running off since the buses would lose too much time if they had to pick up passengers, and here they were wasting 8 minutes going down Sheepshead Bay Road when traffic was heavy there at the time. They don't care if someone has to wait an extra ten minutes for a bus to the subway because buses run not in service.

• 3 years later...

One example of deadheading is the bx15 going to Fordham Plaza at 5 in the morning. ..i assume it is the bx15 since it is the only bus near Fordham to use the 2003 Orion 7 LFS and due to Fordham Plaza from Kingsbridge depot just cross bridge from Marble Hill

Archived