Reality check for Staten Island's rail plans

ghome

In today's Staten Island Advance there was a update to the plans for a rial line on the North and West shores of Staten Island. The two rail lines are now estimated at about 1.4 billion( 1 billion for the West line and .4 billion for the North line).

The North shore line could have about 15 thousand riders a day. The north shore line will use the old North Shore rail.

The West shore line could have about 31 thousand riders a day. The proposed West shore line will run along the West Shore Expressway median.

More information in the Staten Island Advance ,

http://www.silive.com/transportation/index.ssf/2008/07/reality_check_for_staten_islan.html

Here is the graphic the newspaper has,

http://www.silive.com/transportation/index.ssf/2008/07/reality_check_for_staten_islan.html

I think 1.4 billion is a good price for how large the project is. Staten Island needs more transit. I do not think putting the West shore line along the West Shore Expressway is a good idea. First there is nothing along the expressway and I think it will be hard to get there. I think the line should go along Richmond Ave. Richmond Ave has points of interest people want to get to and it is easy to get there.Richmond Ave is one of Staten Island's main thoroughfares.

What i'd love is a shuttle bus between the HBLR and this new light rail system over the bayonne bridge, if not a LRV connection itself. Would make things so much easier for people like me who want to get between bayonne and NYC without a lot of $ being spent. Would allow flexibility with jobs for people, and add yet another way in case of emergency for people to move wherever they need to go.

- Andy

What i'd love is a shuttle bus between the HBLR and this new light rail system over the bayonne bridge, if not a LRV connection itself. Would make things so much easier for people like me who want to get between bayonne and NYC without a lot of $ being spent. Would allow flexibility with jobs for people, and add yet another way in case of emergency for people to move wherever they need to go.

- Andy

i know this is not new york city bus forum but i would love a new bus route from brooklyn to SI mall via the north side of SI not the S79 which takes a million years to get there.

How bout they make their lives easier and send HBLR over the bridge and into SI!

The set up at West 8th Street in Bayonne, where the next light rail station is suppose to be, looks as though it'll be easy to keep extending the line, how bout it could be facing towards the direction of the bridge, we'll see when they actually put a station there. Sad part is the line will be single track between 22nd Street and West 8th Street. I just hope the station will be a two track station, if not, things may not happen that people want to see happen.

I think increasing headways on the existing Staten Island buses would be sufficient, rather than installing two new rail lines.

Light rail is so much less expensive to operate once in place. Fuel costs going up + expand bus = rate hike. Plus, you know where a light rail train is going to go, no guesswork, quieter ride, and takes cars off the road. Did i mention that electric LRV's work in blizzard below zero conditions? Busses are not the solution every time, or most times. Busses are at the whim of a human, LRV can be fully automated & monitored by a central control system ensuring safety, and speedy transportation. Plus, no fare haggling etc. I know some people here LOVE busses, and thats totally cool, but into the future, you're going to see more and more and more hybrid and full electric busses. Light rail is less daunting to a lot of people to use, and as stated before it will cost less in the long run, and the vehicles last more than twice as long. Investing in light rail means you're investing in the future of an area. Investing in busses does not mean anything, because they can just as easily be sent elsewhere. Light rail deployment would mean more to people who do not prefer busses. Not just emotionally, but economically and socially as well. Busses, light rail, subway, regional rail, and inter-city rail all will shape the future of transit, and change it drastically from what we know today. I say embrace any positive change, LRV system included.

- Andy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I found this image and the map show PATH train extendended to staten island http://bp1.blogger.com/_5asUt7ex3JM/R35QLspTZpI/AAAAAAAAAhg/gNDLw8ZTAeU/s1600-h/hblr_PATH+

and the Source:http://jcconstruction.blogspot.com/2008/01/proposed-path-map-pipedream.html

Yeah, some foamy, bored person made that. The way it is wouldn't work though, the routing has to take a different approach, throughout the entire line.

Yeah, some foamy, bored person made that. The way it is wouldn't work though, the routing has to take a different approach, throughout the entire line.

Agree.

HBLR could run to the NJ side of the bridge, then there could be a PANYNJ line that connected over the bridge to st george.

- A

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I'm going to have these lines in my fantasy map + one that goes to New Jersey.

Would it be the West Shore Rail over the Bayonne Bridge to the HBLR or some kind of extension of the Newark Light Rail (Wikipedia has an article about a Newark-Elizabeth Rail Link) over the Goethals Bridge? Or would it be both? I wrote about all the options that the West Shore Rail would take in another thread in this forum: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=957 . It is post #21 of the thread titled Abandoned SIRT-North Shore; Circa February 2004''

Archived