Man gets Electrocuted by 3rd Rail at IND 34th St / HSQ (SHOCKING)

mark1447

I Feel sympathy for the guy that got zapped. Lousy way to go.

I'm a lot more horrified to the reaction people have to the guy's death than to the guy's actual electricution. I didn't think that people would have pleasure from seeing a guy with problems suffering like that.

Yeah, some people will try to deny it, but it's hard to just watch a guy die in front of you. This is regardless of whether it was his fault or not. I appreciate the fact that you guys aren't trying to act "tough" and say it's no big deal...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this wouldn't be the first video I've seen of someone being killed. I mean there is many others like traingirl for example on Youtube, but that is not as extreme as this video of this man being electrocuted.

I also don't understand why 12-9 photos aren't showed, but this 12-9 video of the man being killed is.

But this incident is not 12-9. He was not under the train. He fell over and made contract to the 3rd rail.

But this incident is not 12-9. He was not under the train. He fell over and made contract to the 3rd rail.

I thought it was for people on the tracks.

EDIT: It's 12-10: Unauthorized personnel on track.

I'm a lot more horrified to the reaction people have to the guy's death than to the guy's actual electricution. I didn't think that people would have pleasure from seeing a guy with problems suffering like that.

So agree. I highly doubt anyone who claims they'd be laughing or find pleasure in seeing that actually would. They just portray themselves as a spoiled heartless bitch. But if it makes them "look tough" or "cool" so be it...

Despite all of this. I still think the passengers isn't tough enough, and from looking at videos from other cities and their transit system, these passenger here doesn't have a gut. It's really u

nfortunate that these people don't have the guts to pull that man up and restrain him, if I had to do it, I would've done it but require few other men to push this guy up to the platform and lay on top of him...

The people that were saved in those other videos, were they visibly intoxicated? Drunk people can get really combative if you try to restrain them.

So agree. I highly doubt anyone who claims they'd be laughing or find pleasure in seeing that actually would. They just portray themselves as a spoiled heartless bitch. But if it makes them "look tough" or "cool" so be it...

I don't think it's so much about being cool or tough. It's more like "These people are idiots, they deserve to die, who cares about them" or "I got common sense, not like these savages".

First of all, if you notice, there is a woman that tries to pull him up.

However, in this case, it is actually a pretty stupid idea. If you are pulling the guy up so he is off the ground, and his bare foot touches the third rail, guess what--you are grounded to the platform, and now you all get zapped. Even if 3 or 4 guys are pulling him, so the overall voltage gets spread out a little, 600 volts will probably kill all of you, or at least severely burn the arms of everyone pulling him.

The thing is that the third rail is on the opposite side of the track, so he would have to be moving his legs towards the third rail in order for his foot to make contact. If I were in that situation, I'd be more worried about him pulling me down onto the track (and breaking my back or cracking my head open) than about the third rail.

I hope somebody at least had the brains to run upstairs for help once they saw the guy on the track.

Out of curiosity, how do you shut down the power on the third rail? Is there some kind of emergency switch that the S/A can hit or what?

The thing is that the third rail is on the opposite side of the track, so he would have to be moving his legs towards the third rail in order for his foot to make contact. If I were in that situation, I'd be more worried about him pulling me down onto the track (and breaking my back or cracking my head open) than about the third rail.

I hope somebody at least had the brains to run upstairs for help once they saw the guy on the track.

Out of curiosity, how do you shut down the power on the third rail? Is there some kind of emergency switch that the S/A can hit or what?

Isn't there some blue light that indicates that the power?

I don't think it's so much about being cool or tough. It's more like "These people are idiots, they deserve to die, who cares about them" or "I got common sense, not like these savages".

I still think that people might want to seem cool and tough, but I 100% agree with you that people have that attitude too much. I feel like it's an all-too-common point of view that there are simply good people and bad people in the world. It's a convenient point of view to have, because it makes you feel superior to other people ("I'm a good person, those people aren't"), and it keeps you from having to worry about how "bad people" are treated ("Just kill them all, who cares").

The problem with having this attitude is that it keeps you from thinking about what makes people do bad/stupid things, and how they can be prevented. It is a selfish point of view, in my opinion, because you're basically saying, "I'm a good person, and my friends are all good people, so why should society have to deal with bad people?"

It's reflected in our criminal justice system, which focuses so much on punishment ("He's a bad guy, he deserves to have x, y, z, done to him") rather than teaching people to be good people. Whenever there's a story of someone doing something bad, someone always says, "If only we punished people more severely, people wouldn't do this anymore." It's a hopeless attitude towards wrong-doers, thinking that they are bad by nature and can never be good.

Sorry to go off on a tangent. I just think that this needs to be said...

But it is his fault. He got drunk, he walked into the tracks, and then he got electrocuted. I know he died, but he was the one that did it to himself. If he didn't get drunk he wouldn't have walked into the tracks, and if he didn't walk into the tracks he wouldn't have been electrocuted. I hope this guy doesn't have a family that would sue the (MTA) for this, because it was his own damn fault in the first place.

But it is his fault. He got drunk, he walked into the tracks, and then he got electrocuted. I know he died, but he was the one that did it to himself. If he didn't get drunk he wouldn't have walked into the tracks, and if he didn't walk into the tracks he wouldn't have been electrocuted. I hope this guy doesn't have a family that would sue the (MTA) for this, because it was his own damn fault in the first place.

You are 100% correct, Roadcruiser1, and I don't think you're contradicting what I said. I agree that nobody else should be blamed.

However, in this case, it is actually a pretty stupid idea. If you are pulling the guy up so he is off the ground, and his bare foot touches the third rail, guess what--you are grounded to the platform, and now you all get zapped. Even if 3 or 4 guys are pulling him, so the overall voltage gets spread out a little, 600 volts will probably kill all of you, or at least severely burn the arms of everyone pulling him.

....is what's not being understood here.

You're creating a serial circuit by doing that.... everyone involved better hope someone in that sumbitch has real high resistance (around the meg' range or so), because that will be the person a] feeling most of the voltage & b] keeping the "circuit" current just low enough to keep everyone's a**es alive !

unfortunately for him, he was the only person involved in the "circuit".....

the more moist your skin is, the more your resistance lowers - drastically.... that's two factors that are NOT in this guy's favor.....

34th st herald sq. is a mini-oven in itself, so I know that dude had to be perspiring...... IIRC, wet skin only has 200-500 ohms....

do the math.... 600v / 500 ohms is 1.2 AMPS

It is not so much the potential that kills as much as it is the current.....

You only need what, 100 milliamps (0.1 amps) to render you dead, which is not a lot at all......

1.2 AMPS is enough to have you smoking.... which is exactly what the hell happened to this guy.

Drunk people can get really combative if you try to restrain them.

This.

I'm not risking my own life for someone that's gonna become combative when I'm tryna help em.... At that point, their drunken stupor becomes irrelevant to me.... you try to drag me down with you, and you may as well kiss your own ass goodbye if you are unsuccessful..... This is one of many reasons why I don't physically try to save anyone "attempting" suicide, drunk or not....

I'm starting to get the feeling something else is involved here. How did the dude get onto the tracks in the first place? Secondly, why does the recording (assuming it's a stranger) start a full minute before he hits the rail? I guess the recorder knew something was going to go down when the dude first got on the tracks.

Well I'll say this... I don't think it's a question of "toughness" but some of us have experienced a lot of death early on like myself and I just accept it as a part of life. Those that haven't may have issues watching the video, but I watched the whole thing. I'm the first one to get irritated at stupid people, but this was no way to go. Very unfortunate... However hopefully this is a lesson to those who were there and those who watched it that didn't truly know the dangers of the third rail. I think someone who has knowledge on this topic should provide further details as to what if anything could be done in the future if a person touches the third rail like this guy did. Obviously someone can call for help which didn't seem to be the case here, but I'm also wondering how quickly this guy went? It seemed like once he finished twitching that was it and I don't think anyone realized how fast it happened.

I actually was shocked as a kid putting what I didn't realize was a semi wet pan onto an electric stove in my dad's kitchen. Wasn't a nice scene and it is hard to even move or do anything, but eventually I was able to. It's like your senses are paralyzed for a bit. It didn't hurt actually. I was just stuck there shaking. It seemed this guy didn't have a chance though since it looked like his head was what touched the third rail.

I'm starting to get the feeling something else is involved here. How did the dude get onto the tracks in the first place? Secondly, why does the recording (assuming it's a stranger) start a full minute before he hits the rail? I guess the recorder knew something was going to go down when the dude first got on the tracks.

1) He probably jumped down there.

2) Anything remotely unusual that happens in the subway people will whip out their camera phones and start recording, a civilian on the roadbed is not a common sight to someone whos just a average joe commuter.

Just one thing: The guy fell (it didn't really look like a fall to me, but whatever) onto the rail around 0:45, and around 1:10, there was a spark and the guy's head started steaming. So for those 25 seconds or so, did the guy make contact with the rail and it took that long for the electricity to heat up his body enough to produce the steam? Or was he just moaning and twitching and then at 1:10 is when he actually made contact?

Despite all of this. I still think the passengers isn't tough enough, and from looking at videos from other cities and their transit system, these passenger here doesn't have a gut. It's really u

nfortunate that these people don't have the guts to pull that man up and restrain him, if I had to do it, I would've done it but require few other men to push this guy up to the platform and lay on top of him...

In this state...especially here in the city. Good intentions are always the path to court or worse, rikers island. It may have been nice of the people to pull the guy up. But a sweaty, combative, half naked person is not easy to keep ahold of. I've tried it in the psych ward i used to work at. Plus, if they hurt the guy (dislocated shoulder, broken bone, muscle damage...possible when you're pulling someone by the arm) while trying to save his life, he'd have a truck load of lawyers convincing him to sue (now likely by family because "there was nobody to stop him from jumping down to the tracks"...on his own accord!) especially now that it's video documented for all to see.

The best way to get him off the track was for a person or two to jump down to the track bed (which you aren't supposed to do) and push him up while others pulled...not an easy feat with someone determined to stay on the tracks. It could've been them on the 3rd rail instead of him. Real easy not to have a gut when you have overzealous police officers looking for anything to boost their collar tally for the week. It's the discretion of the responding officer(s) to arrest or not. Sometimes you get a nice guy, most of the time you get a complete jerk.

In the end, you have to understand most Nyers are complacent and will rather wait for the cops and be a good eyewitness than get involved and risk getting hurt or in trouble themselves. Years and years of government dependancy and overzealous prosecutors.

In this state...especially here in the city. Good intentions are always the path to court or worse, rikers island. It may have been nice of the people to pull the guy up. But a sweaty, combative, half naked person is not easy to keep ahold of. I've tried it in the psych ward i used to work at. Plus, if they hurt the guy (dislocated shoulder, broken bone, muscle damage...possible when you're pulling someone by the arm) while trying to save his life, he'd have a truck load of lawyers convincing him to sue (now likely by family because "there was nobody to stop him from jumping down to the tracks"...on his own accord!) especially now that it's video documented for all to see.

The best way to get him off the track was for a person or two to jump down to the track bed (which you aren't supposed to do) and push him up while others pulled...not an easy feat with someone determined to stay on the tracks. It could've been them on the 3rd rail instead of him. Real easy not to have a gut when you have overzealous police officers looking for anything to boost their collar tally for the week. It's the discretion of the responding officer(s) to arrest or not. Sometimes you get a nice guy, most of the time you get a complete jerk.

In the end, you have to understand most Nyers are complacent and will rather wait for the cops and be a good eyewitness than get involved and risk getting hurt or in trouble themselves. Years and years of government dependancy and overzealous prosecutors.

Yep a month ago or so I was walking into the Grand Central entrance near where the Bank of America is going to get some MetroNorth tickets or lunch or whatever and suddenly the security guard that stands in that area started going down and some folks rushed over to him including his colleague to try to keep him up. I don't know what happened... May have been having a heart attack or something but I didn't get involved. If anything I would've called for help but others had already did that so I just went on about my business.

Just one thing: The guy fell (it didn't really look like a fall to me, but whatever) onto the rail around 0:45, and around 1:10, there was a spark and the guy's head started steaming. So for those 25 seconds or so, did the guy make contact with the rail and it took that long for the electricity to heat up his body enough to produce the steam? Or was he just moaning and twitching and then at 1:10 is when he actually made contact?

There was no way you could have helped the guy even if you wanted to and if you were there. Electricity is a strong and powerful element. I am sure we have all been shocked before even a little bit while changing the light bulb, or plugging in an object, but that is such a low voltage compared to what is being carried in a third rail. If you helped him you would have been shocked as well as the current would have gone through him and went to you.

Archived