Man gets Electrocuted by 3rd Rail at IND 34th St / HSQ (SHOCKING)

mark1447

Just one thing: The guy fell (it didn't really look like a fall to me, but whatever) onto the rail around 0:45, and around 1:10, there was a spark and the guy's head started steaming. So for those 25 seconds or so, did the guy make contact with the rail and it took that long for the electricity to heat up his body enough to produce the steam? Or was he just moaning and twitching and then at 1:10 is when he actually made contact?

He goes on the rail @ :40. two seconds into it, you hear his grunts...that's his diaphram reacting to his heart and lungs being effected by the electricity. Air is being forced out by this action and none if going in. he's dead by :52 from cardiac arrest. The smoke is from his body heating from uninterrupted electrocution and possibly his hair burning away. It was rather quick, even by capital punishment standards, but he felt every ounce of power with his last 12 seconds.

He didn't fall, he touched the rail on his own accord by laying himself against it.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was no way you could have helped the guy even if you wanted to and if you were there. Electricity is a strong and powerful element. I am sure we have all been shocked before even a little bit while changing the light bulb, or plugging in an object, but that is such a low voltage compared to what is being carried in a third rail. If you helped him you would have been shocked as well as the current would have gone through him and went to you.

Uh, okay. :huh: I don't know what helping him has to do with the question I asked.

If you're referring to Post #37, I never said I would actually help him. Obviously I wouldn't want to see a man die (even if it's his own fault), but I'm not risking my own life to save somebody (unless it was a relative or dear friend). I would run upstairs for help. I would shout out for the man to get off the tracks (though I doubt that would work). But I wouldn't put myself in mortal danger.

I'm just saying that if somebody did have the guts to try and help him, falling and cracking your head open or breaking your back would be more of a realistic threat than being electrocuted (at least if you're standing on the platform).

He goes on the rail @ :40. two seconds into it, you hear his grunts...that's his diaphram reacting to his heart and lungs being effected by the electricity. Air is being forced out by this action and none if going in. he's dead by :52 from cardiac arrest. The smoke is from his body heating from uninterrupted electrocution and possibly his hair burning away. It was rather quick, even by capital punishment standards, but he felt every ounce of power with his last 12 seconds.

He didn't fall, he touched the rail on his own accord by laying himself against it.

I see.

I'm assuming that any twitching after 0:52 was just the electric impulses traveling through his body, right?

I'm assuming that any twitching after 0:52 was just the electric impulses traveling through his body, right?

It can be. But it can also be cadaveric spasms. Uncontrollable movement after death. It happens to some in other manners of death but more often during electrocution. You may see it when a defibrilator is being applied to a person whose heart stopped. A small body twitch from a mili second of electric shock, which is why they say CLEAR...because when it goes off while you touch the patient, the electricity can travel through him/her into you...then they'd have to try to save 2 instead of 1.

It can be. But it can also be cadaveric spasms. Uncontrollable movement after death. It happens to some in other manners of death but more often during electrocution. You may see it when a defibrilator is being applied to a person whose heart stopped. A small body twitch from a mili second of electric shock, which is why they say CLEAR...because when it goes off while you touch the patient, the electricity can travel through him/her into you...then they'd have to try to save 2 instead of 1.

Yeah, I read on Wikipedia that sometimes when they slaughter animals, the body twitches and then becomes stiff (I think it's called rigor motoris or something like that).

In any case, I read some of the comments on article, and a woman said the man was crying and an MTA worker and a woman were trying to hold him back and he tripped and hit the rail. It still looks like he touched the rail on purpose, but in any case, there's a chance the guy was suicidal.

And SMH at this article: http://theync.com/forum/showthread.php?3254372-Negro-fried-to-death-on-subway-3rd-rail&p=6404283#post6404283

Is it really relevant to mention the guy was "a Negro"? But then again, with a username like that, he's obviously racist. <_<

Man you sure know a lot about death. I honestly don't need to see the video again. Out of Curiousity, how did hey manage to take the dead body out.

Yeah, I read on Wikipedia that sometimes when they slaughter animals, the body twitches and then becomes stiff (I think it's called rigor motoris or something like that).

In any case, I read some of the comments on article, and a woman said the man was crying and an MTA worker and a woman were trying to hold him back and he tripped and hit the rail. It still looks like he touched the rail on purpose, but in any case, there's a chance the guy was suicidal.

And SMH at this article: http://theync.com/forum/showthread.php?3254372-Negro-fried-to-death-on-subway-3rd-rail&p=6404283#post6404283

Is it really relevant to mention the guy was "a Negro"? But then again, with a username like that, he's obviously racist. <_<

Why would they call themselves that. I wonder who the admin is.

HOLY CRAP! I checked out the main site and the thread titles are disgusting. They're all making fun of suicides and making jokes about people being killled. Is that even legal????

1. We are not responsible for comments made.

B!tch Please, you clearly don't have the brains to even run your life.

2. If you see several the posts In the thread of a subway worker crushed to death by pipes.

So if you die, we will have to say that. All I can say is that all of those members should make a ditch , and go in it, and f@£k themselves. Sure, it's racism, but the government has no control over that. Now the local authorities might take care of it, but not completely.

1. We are not responsible for comments made.

B!tch Please, you clearly don't have the brains to even run your life.

2. If you see several the posts In the thread of a subway worker crushed to death by pipes.

So if you die, we will have to say that. All I can say is that all of those members should make a ditch , and go in it, and f@£k themselves. Sure, it's racism, but the government has no control over that. Now the local authorities might take care of it, but not completely.

Damn. I'm sure if law enforcement officials wanted to, they could probably track down some of those users and arrest them right now.

And SMH at this article: http://theync.com/fo...283#post6404283

Wikipedia's not really a credible source of info, being that it can be edited on a whim. Rigor Mortis is the stiffening of muscles a short time after death. Say someone dies with their middle finger up and isn't found for 2 or 3 days. Whoever finds him will be flipped the bird until the hand is manually opened. Usually by the medical examiner or mortician. Once them muscles lock up, twitching is less likely to occur.

Man you sure know a lot about death. I honestly don't need to see the video again. Out of Curiousity, how did hey manage to take the dead body out.

Why would they call themselves that. I wonder who the admin is.

I just happen to be unlucky with the ladies in my high school days so i had lots of free time...and cable TV. I believe first and foremost they had power to the 3rd rail cut. Whether they test the rail on the spot or get confirmation from wherever it's turned off...i dunno. Maybe there's some workers here that can chime in. I guess when it's off, they jump down, check to see if the guy's still alive or dead, and either they get him to the ER or bag him up and send him to the medical examiner's. Oh, and with a name like that guy has, his/her bravery to say the things they say behind the safety of their computer diminishes in the real world where you can't delete a punch to the face.

Sure, it's racism, but the government has no control over that. Now the local authorities might take care of it, but not completely.

Damn. I'm sure if law enforcement officials wanted to, they could probably track down some of those users and arrest them right now.

Seems like the whole site was shut down or something, now.

i think the whole thing is crazy............that place is crawling with cops and employees and for there no to be 1 there at that time was crazy..................

more pple should of trying to have pulled him up..........more pple should have tried to alert somebody.........to see pple BARELY react to someone being electrocuted right in front of their face is astounding.........just shows you the type of boneheads on that platform......

i do agree tho that its 1000000% his fault for being in that situation and thats what happens.....cant believe someone caught the whole thing on video

HOLY CRAP! I checked out the main site and the thread titles are disgusting. They're all making fun of suicides and making jokes about people being killled. Is that even legal????

welcome to the underworld.....

all these shock sites you see now were successors of ogrish.com (which now redirects to liveleak - the site where the featured video in question was viewed from)..... lot of racist f**ks on these shock sites, fam.....

@MottAvenueMan: I could've sworn somebody on this site was an EMT. Was that you?

you maybe thinking of mediccjh (I think his exact name is)... the guy from some town I never heard of in pennsylvania...

Just one thing: The guy fell (it didn't really look like a fall to me, but whatever) onto the rail around 0:45, and around 1:10, there was a spark and the guy's head started steaming. So for those 25 seconds or so, did the guy make contact with the rail and it took that long for the electricity to heat up his body enough to produce the steam? Or was he just moaning and twitching and then at 1:10 is when he actually made contact?

It looks to me like the smoke is resulting from his flesh burning, although it can be a combination of that & his hair getting burned as well.... look at how dense & how far the smoke traveled.....

I didn't microanalyze the video second by second, so I'll take your word for it w/ the time intervals....

What I will say is, it doesn't take long for your heart to stop w/ the right amt. of current going through you....

There was no way you could have helped the guy even if you wanted to and if you were there. Electricity is a strong and powerful element. I am sure we have all been shocked before even a little bit while changing the light bulb, or plugging in an object, but that is such a low voltage compared to what is being carried in a third rail. If you helped him you would have been shocked as well as the current would have gone through him and went to you.

Guess what, under the rare/wrong circumstances, someone can actually kill you w/ a 9v battery (yes, the little square ones in your smoke detectors)..... I'm not talking about licking a 9v battery either.....

the potential in static electricity is very high; in the tens of thousands of volts (>> 10KV), so again, it's not voltage that kills....

I'm a perfect example of that.... all this carpet in this place & walkin around in socks, I stay gettin static shocks.....

rigor mortis is when a carcass stiffens; there is no twitching....

cadaveric spasms is often confused w/ rigor mortis, so you're not alone in thinking that...... cadaveric spasms lead to rigor mortis...

cadaveric spasms (for example) are what happens when you shoot a rat in the head & you see it flopping around all over the place before the carcass comes to "rest".... rats have a high metabolic rate; their muscles move at a rapid pace - so even if you put a hot one in its head while it's standing still, it's still gonna undergo those spasmodic actions.....

i think the whole thing is crazy............that place is crawling with cops and employees and for there no to be 1 there at that time was crazy..................

Somebody commented (on DNA.info) that there was an MTA worker and a woman trying to hold him back, and some people ran up the stairs to try and get the S/A, and she was all frantic and everything. She said that the whole thing happened fairly quickly, so there isn't much anybody could've done. They would have to get to the power source and shut it off ASAP, but then again, I don't think anybody actually expected him to end up on the third rail.

1) Guess what, under the rare/wrong circumstances, someone can actually kill you w/ a 9v battery (yes, the little square ones in your smoke detectors)..... I'm not talking about licking a 9v battery either.....

the potential in static electricity is very high; in the tens of thousands of volts (>> 10KV), so again, it's not voltage that kills....

I'm a perfect example of that.... all this carpet in this place & walkin around in socks, I stay gettin static shocks.....

2) rigor mortis is when a carcass stiffens; there is no twitching....

cadaveric spasms is often confused w/ rigor mortis, so you're not alone in thinking that...... cadaveric spasms lead to rigor mortis...

cadaveric spasms (for example) are what happens when you shoot a rat in the head & you see it flopping around all over the place before the carcass comes to "rest".... rats have a high metabolic rate; their muscles move at a rapid pace - so even if you put a hot one in its head while it's standing still, it's still gonna undergo those spasmodic actions.....

1) Yeah, I actually read about that on that "Darwin's Award" site. Some guy in the millitary wanted to test his own body's resistance and he hooked up a wire to a 9V, completed the circuit, and that was the end of him.

2) Gotcha.

Sure, it's racism, but the government has no control over that. Now the local authorities might take care of it, but not completely.

Just to clairify this, it's not the racism that would be the issue. It's the same thing with the KKK holding rallies: Yes, most of us hate racists, but as long as you're not promoting any illegal activities, there's not much the police can do legally. It's all the other posts they made where they're discussing killing and all that where it would be illegal. (Because you're "promoting an illegal activity")

I'm going to be honest. With a name like "Young News Network", I thought it was some kind of site for teenagers or something. Boy,

was I in for an unpleasant surprise. :o Actually, unpleasant is an understatement to describe that.

Isn't there some blue light that indicates that the power?

Yes, but I'm not sure where the switch is. I remember back a few years ago, there were problems with the (A)(C) in Lower Manhattan, and it had something to do with a homeless man lighting up a cigarette in an electrical closet, so I guess the power switch is in there.

Seems like the whole site was shut down or something, now.

Good.

I've heard about experiments of "mad" scientists attempting to re-animate dead bodies by giving them a shock, which only basically affects the muscles. I've only seen this done on animals, but this video kinda shows what it does to a human, basically the muscles spazzing from the current when his legs are just twitching and he's busy sizzling on the rail.

I personally, have never smelled a frying dead human and I DON'T intend on finding out anytime soon

But did anyone else notice the women behind the camera? She's a walking contradiction. She's there repeatedly saying "why isn't anybody doing anything?" yet she remains there recording the man's death.

Thou as you guys already know as soon as he hit the third rail there was nothing anyone could've done at that point...

But did anyone else notice the women behind the camera? She's a walking contradiction. She's there repeatedly saying "why isn't anybody doing anything?" yet she remains there recording the man's death.

Thou as you guys already know as soon as he hit the third rail there was nothing anyone could've done at that point...

And then she told everybody else not to jump in and save him, smh....

And then she told everybody else not to jump in and save him, smh....

Well, with 600 volts of electricity down there and the fact that the steam's shooting out of his head, I don't think there's much they can do.

But yeah, standing there with a video camera is really going to solve the problem. :rolleyes:

I remember at the Liberty Science Center, in NJ they had an exhibit with electricity and at the end of the presentation, they asked "Who wants to be shocked with 6,000 volts of electricity?" They had everybody stand shoulder-to-shoulder and then had 1 person touch some kind of generator (It was a round one), while the person at the other end of the line touched a metal doorknob. I actually tried it and it just felt like a bad shock from rubbing your feet on the ground and touching something metal, but nothing serious.

I saw the demonstration earlier in the day, so I saw that everybody was fine. But what exactly is it that makes static electricity less dangerous? I mean, it looked like that machine was kind of just sucking the electrons from the surrounding atoms, so that was generating static electricity, but what makes it so different from regular electricity? I mean, I know a little bit about current and resistance and everything from Physics last year, but I'm not exactly sure what static electricity actually is.

Archived