In California, immigration bill designed as the "anti-Arizona".

KeystoneRegional

"While America's debate over immigration has been dominated recently by crackdowns in states like Arizona and Alabama, California legislators are trying to turn that tide with a bill to protect illegal immigrants that they dub the "anti-Arizona."

Last week, the top U.S. court upheld the most controversial aspect of Arizona's immigration statute: a requirement that police officers check the immigration status of people they stop, even for minor offenses such as jay-walking.

Enter California, a border state that is home to the largest number of illegal immigrants, most of whom are Hispanic, and is considerably more liberal than its neighbor Arizona.

A bill currently working its way through the California legislature would block local law enforcement from referring a detainee to immigration officials for deportation unless that person has been convicted of a violent or serious felony.

"California cannot afford to become another Arizona," said California Assembly member Tom Ammiano, the bill's sponsor. One of the bill's sponsors, the National Day Laborer Organizing Network, calls the effort the "anti-Arizona."

Critics have argued that Arizona's law could lead to illegal racial or ethnic profiling of Hispanics in Arizona. Hispanics are the largest U.S. minority group, representing 16 percent of the population.

Supporters of the Arizona law say it is needed because the federal government has failed to secure the border with Mexico.

The California bill, which has the support of over 100 immigrant rights groups, police chiefs and mayors, was drafted not only as a symbolic counter to legislation in neighboring Arizona, but also to push back against a federal program called Secure Communities that shares the same principles as Arizona's law, supporters say."

Source Link: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/04/us-usa-california-immigration-idUSBRE8630LB20120704

Enter California, a border state that is home to the largest number of illegal immigrants, most of whom are Hispanic, and is considerably more liberal than its neighbor Arizona.

...and here we are folks, this explains it all. When will CA finally break off of the mainland?

illegal immigrants cost california taxpayers $10.5 billion a year. the state is broke, Stockton is about to declare bankruptcy. The mayor of San Francisco, Gavin Newsome, has proclaimed his city a "sanctuary city", how does he get away with that, oh wait, obama wont enforce immigration laws so why should san francisco.we are destroying our soverighnty from within. it must be stopped

joe

If they were to redraw the states today, I'd have SF as its own state or its own country. If they want to do things their way, they can do it on their own dime and don't expect a handout from the other states. Criminal behavior should not be rewarded at all. Mexico puts armed guards on its southern boarder to keep the South Americans out, why should it be ok for Mexico to essentially invade the US? Legal immigrants should be outraged for having to jump thru god knows how many hoops to apply for citizenship while those criminals basically gets a free pass and have their anchor babies.

Sadly the sanctuary cities doesn't stop at SF, Bloomturd is the same because he thinks it benefits businesses.

end of rant.

illegal immigrants cost california taxpayers $10.5 billion a year. the state is broke, Stockton is about to declare bankruptcy. The mayor of San Francisco, Gavin Newsome, has proclaimed his city a "sanctuary city", how does he get away with that, oh wait, obama wont enforce immigration laws so why should san francisco.we are destroying our soverighnty from within. it must be stopped

joe

Actually Mr. Newsome is now the Lt. Gov for Calif. for Jerry Brown.

joe

Excellent post.

[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]

...and here we are folks, this explains it all. When will CA finally break off of the mainland?

More like when will CA finally become the mainland. Country's gonna be a majority Hispanic in not so long, these types of kick-out-the-Mexican laws aren't gonna cut it. Better watch out.

Thank you for showing that racism is acceptable -- as long as it's against whites.

I don't like racism in any way.

And frankly, why whites? We're talking about America here, right? There's blacks, asians, and hispanics, too. Oh, yeah, and the Native Americans, too.

More like when will CA finally become the mainland. Country's gonna be a majority Hispanic in not so long, these types of kick-out-the-Mexican laws aren't gonna cut it. Better watch out.

I being a 54 year old white male have no problem with the country becoming more hispanic. As long as all the hispanics come here LEGALLY. ILLEGAL aliens are, sorry if it offends, Criminals, who should be prosecuted.Outside of African-Americans, who were first brought here as slaves. Every other ethnic group has come here following the laws of this country, whether applying for papers today, or came through Ellis Island 100 yrs ago, as my distant relatives did, and they all assimilated into American culture. We have a lawless President who refuses to enforce the laws of this country, not because hes compassionate, because he is trying to consolidate his power to , his words, "fundamentally transform America".a little secret, you dont fundamentally change anything you love, you might tweek it but thats it

if you dont like my tone, tough , Im getting sick and tired of people who reap the benefits of the greatest country ever installed on this planet, yet bash it and try to destroy it. GOD BLESS AMERICA

Joe

I being a 54 year old white male have no problem with the country becoming more hispanic. As long as all the hispanics come here LEGALLY. ILLEGAL aliens are, sorry if it offends, Criminals, who should be prosecuted.Outside of African-Americans, who were first brought here as slaves. Every other ethnic group has come here following the laws of this country, whether applying for papers today, or came through Ellis Island 100 yrs ago, as my distant relatives did, and they all assimilated into American culture. We have a lawless President who refuses to enforce the laws of this country, not because hes compassionate, because he is trying to consolidate his power to , his words, "fundamentally transform America".a little secret, you dont fundamentally change anything you love, you might tweek it but thats it

if you dont like my tone, tough , Im getting sick and tired of people who reap the benefits of the greatest country ever installed on this planet, yet bash it and try to destroy it. GOD BLESS AMERICA

Joe

They don't try to destroy it. You don't see them building bombs and nuclear weapons, right?

They don't bash America like a pinata (pardon the pun). They try to bash racism.

And frankly, this is the same America that put dictators and tyrants in place all around the world as a way to combat Communism (which I loathe).

And this is the same America that put a banana company in charge of a country.

Don't get me wrong. This is America, the country I was born in, and love to death. But it's not perfect. And you should stop pretending that all American citizens are hardworking and law-obeying, cause they may obey its laws, but they may not like them.

They don't try to destroy it. You don't see them building bombs and nuclear weapons, right?

They don't bash America like a pinata (pardon the pun). They try to bash racism.

And frankly, this is the same America that put dictators and tyrants in place all around the world as a way to combat Communism (which I loathe).

And this is the same America that put a banana company in charge of a country.

Don't get me wrong. This is America, the country I was born in, and love to death. But it's not perfect. And you should stop pretending that all American citizens are hardworking and law-obeying, cause they may obey its laws, but they may not like them.

where did i ever say america was perfect? I have said in this and other forums, that NO society can ever be perfect, because humans are IMPERFECT. But NO society that has ever existed has given more freedom, opportunity, and wealth to their citizens, and no other society has ever freed more people from tyrants, despots, and dictators than this one, with an enormous toll of bloodshed. Yes we have made our mistakes, but compared to every other society, we have outshone and outdone every other one.put together.

Yes, we are being destroyed from within, not by bombs, but by a ruling class that thinks they can tell us what we have to buy, a ruling class who blatently reward criminals over law abiders, a ruling class that looks to enslave people into government programs that they run, to make you more dependent on them, instead of you, a ruling class who demonises people who have been successful, a ruling class that is spending us into a 3rd world nation, need i go on?

Fighting racism, there are white racists, black racists, hispanic racists, asian racists, every group has racists in them. You know who perpetuates it, racists themselves, they disguise it as "profiling". Heres another dirty little secret, Everybody profiles. If you saw some teenager hanging around your car, looking in it, and you think hes looking to steal something, you just profiled him. If you saw a middle age guy sitting on a bench, with his hand down his pants, watching a group of 6,7,and 8 year olds in a park playing, and think hes a pedophile, you profiled him. If a van speeding on I-17, 10 miles north of the mexican border in Arizona, and it has 15 hispanics in it, nobody with ID, nobody speaking English, and think they are illegals, then you profiled, you see a woman on a 90 degree day, walk into a store wearing a parka, and think shes gonna shoplift, you profiled.. Does that make you a racist? Join the real world.

Joe

I actually agree with you for pretty much everything, except I don't think we're going to be a 3rd world nation anytime soon.

I just don't think that illegals should be treated like any other criminal, unless some have prior arrests and stuff.

I actually agree with you for pretty much everything, except I don't think we're going to be a 3rd world nation anytime soon.

I just don't think that illegals should be treated like any other criminal, unless some have prior arrests and stuff.

and why not? criminals are criminals period.

Joe

why reward them and put them ahead of people trying to come here the LEGAL way? Is that fair to them? IMO Obama spit in all their faces with his refusal to enforce the laws.

Joe

Why not? People who come here the legal way have the resources. Ilegals don't.

And I did say the legalization process, meaning anyone who would have come here illegally can now come legally.

I'd also like it if their home countries were better economically and socially. Too many drug wars going on there.

Why not? People who come here the legal way have the resources. Ilegals don't.

And I did say the legalization process, meaning anyone who would have come here illegally can now come legally.

I'd also like it if their home countries were better economically and socially. Too many drug wars going on there.

oh so if i use my computer to print up $50,000 in counterfeit money, and spend it all, and next month the cops come to arrest me, since its all gone, and i havent printed anymore, should i not be arrested? of course i should, because i would be a criminal just like criminal illegals.

is it my fault that their countries are like that? maybe we should put one of our dictators in charge there, or maybe, they should fight to change their country, like our forefathers put their lives on the line ti get away from the tyranny of great britain

Joe

Archived