B Division rolling stock

RollOver

R32 3838, you wanna know what's funny too? It's possible that the MTA can make all the subway cars operational without spares and that the R179s can go on the SIR. Here's why;

1. Look at my first post of the thread.

2. As you can see, the (C) train requires 18 trains. Since the R179 order is 300 cars (and 60 footers), 180 of them can go on the (C) and the rest for SIR in 4-5 car sets.

3. There are enough R160s to fill the ENTIRE (J)(Z) line. That's why they DON'T need the R42s. Why do you think half of the remainder R42s are on the (A) as part of the summer swap?

4. We know the R160s from the (W) take over the (N) and (Q) lines. THAT'S WHY I suggests the (W) uses half R68s and the spares of the R46s.

5. R211s will go on the (G), (R), Rockaway Park Shuttle, and the (W) to retire the R46s.

If it doesn't feel right to you, fine. BUT to bash people and threaten locks because of it just makes you look more arrogant, ignorant and stubborn. I'm going to show you how value this thread can be. Don't like it? Don't be with it! It's THAT simple!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

R32 3838, you wanna know what's funny too? It's possible that the MTA can make all the subway cars operational without spares and that the R179s can go on the SIR. Here's why;

2. As you can see, the (C) train requires 18 trains. Since the R179 order is 300 cars (and 60 footers), 180 of them can go on the (C) and the rest for SIR in 4-5 car sets.

3. There are enough R160s to fill the ENTIRE (J)(Z) line. That's why they DON'T need the R42s. Why do you think half of the remainder R42s are on the (A) as part of the summer swap?

4. We know the R160s from the (W) take over the (N) and (Q) lines. THAT'S WHY I suggests the (W) uses half R68s and the spares of the R46s.

5. R211s will go on the (G), (R), Rockaway Park Shuttle, and the (W) to retire the R46s.

If it doesn't feel right to you, fine. BUT to bash people and threaten locks because of it just makes you look more arrogant, ignorant and stubborn. I'm going to show you how value this thread can be. Don't like it? Don't be with it! It's THAT simple!

Agreed, and you might want to check on the Service Cut Restoration thread as well ;)

I am not going to say that R32 3838 is laying out his arguments in the best way possible, but you can not reasonably expect for more than 85% of a fleet to be operational at any period of time. You need to keep a portion of your fleet available for maintenance work, and to sub in in case of a breakdown. Such is simply a reality of running a transit system. In the simplest terms I can think of, you need to have five trains for every four trains you actually run.

Spare factors of equipment are as follows: (I calculated these now, could easily have made some errors.)

R32: 37%

R42: 28%

R46: 22%

R62: 21%

R62A: 15%

R68: 22%

R68A: 18%

R142: 15%

R142A: 15%

R143: 23%

R160A: 10%

R160B1: 13%

R160B2: 16%

Look at how low the R160s are. Notice that R46s in Jamaica and R68/As in Coney Island often have to sub for them, with what I'll eyeball to be a 12% overall spare.

Dude don't talk to me like that you don't even know me, and your wrong, the (A) got the R42's due to the fact that the (C) needed more R46 cars , once september hits those R42's go back to the (J)/(Z), Two they still need the R42 Esp Now since the (L) needs more service

and where in the blue hell did you come up with the R46's going to the (W), the last time i checked the R46's are staying on the (A) and (R) lines until the R211 comes in and if there are 522 R46's in service you wouldn't see any R32's on the (A) they would be layed up, like AV said there are spares for every car class, so don't come popping that shit at me and attack me, Because not to try to sound like a smartass or anything, Most of the SHIT that came out my mouth happened in the last 4 years, including the R44 retirement has happened, but yet everyone loves to bash me but yet when other people post Bullshit all of you kiss their asses, i don't have time to sit and argue with you guys, i stated my reasons instead of talking this shit on the boards tell it to my face, oh i forgot most of you get quiet when in person

There are only 4 lines a bulk of the R179s can run on without cutting service. Those are the C J L and M. As they won't have CBTC when delivered, that knocks out the L and M. Therefore, they will run on the C and J. 260 of the 300, that is. The other 40 have no such restriction, as they will be in 5 car sets. That said, I find it hard to imagine that they'd unnecessarily assign 40 to a whole different shop, so I'd expect to see them based out of Pitkin or 207 with most of the rest of the R179s, and for them to run on the A.

There are only 4 lines a bulk of the R179s can run on without cutting service. Those are the C J L and M. As they won't have CBTC when delivered, that knocks out the L and M. Therefore, they will run on the C and J. 260 of the 300, that is. The other 40 have no such restriction, as they will be in 5 car sets. That said, I find it hard to imagine that they'd unnecessarily assign 40 to a whole different shop, so I'd expect to see them based out of Pitkin or 207 with most of the rest of the R179s, and for them to run on the A.

thats what I was thinking, btw the MTA did have a contract out for the R46 retrofit for them to go to SI to replace their R44 cars

Dude don't talk to me like that you don't even know me, and your wrong, the (A) got the R42's due to the fact that the (C) needed more R46 cars , once september hits those R42's go back to the (J)/(Z), Two they still need the R42 Esp Now since the (L) needs more service

and where in the blue hell did you come up with the R46's going to the (W)? the last time i checked the R46's are staying on the (A) and (R) lines until the R211 comes in and if there are 522 R46's in service you wouldn't see any R32's on the (A) they would be layed up, like AV said there are spares for every car class, so don't come popping that shit at me and attack me, Because not to try to sound like a smartass or anything, Most of the SHIT that came out my mouth happened in the last 4 years, including the R44 retirement has happened, but yet everyone loves to bash me but yet when other people post Bullshit all of you kiss their asses, i don't have time to sit and argue with you guys, i stated my reasons instead of talking this shit on the boards tell it to my face, oh i forgot most of you get quiet when in person

What would you do if we met in person? You really got a big ass mouth talking much more smack. I never cursed at you or anything like that. Like I said before I suggested all spares be operational, I'm saying this because it's possible, and you know that. And did you read my posts of why I said that R46s should go on the (W)? guess not. You better watch who the f*** you cursing at because you don't know me either, I just gave you my damn suggestion, not to attack you or anything. And remember, you're the one who started bashing and I'm throwing it right back at you. And now you're trying to deny everything that people tell you and become a pompous ass arrogant prick, threaten people in the forums.

Again, go read through the posts, or stay the f**k out of this thread. I don't know where in the bloody hell you come from cursing me out, you started it, remember that. If you don't like this forums, then why the hell are you still here? Just acting so stupid and cursing off people all because they disagree with you and then you act so "cool" and "tough" and being a smart ass trying to be above us. None of us is putting you down, your shitty attitude is what's making everything into an argument whenever it comes to the (W) and (J) services. So don't get all loud with me kiddo, I'm not a pussy in person, nor a sissy. I gave you my answer which happens to disagree with you completely anyway, but I don't know what was all that cursing and all that kind of shit for. That anger of yours doesn't make you look gangster or scare me, nor anyone else. Get that shit through your damn head next time.

Anyways, ALL arguments aside and going completely back to topic.

What I meant to say was that the (C) train can use 144 R179s instead since it's an 8 car-60 footer train anyway. 48 of them can go for the (J)(Z) and the rest of the 300 base order are spares.

Though I still can't get this feeling out of me though, imagine if the MTA would've had all subway cars operational and the (J)(Z) becoming exclusively R160s which results in the R42s retiring, they would have not been in such a mess. You know like....like them not keeping overhaul R46s for the Staten Island Railway to retire the remaining R44s there and plenty of R179s could go there instead. But I guess it's just me anyway.

But the (A)(C) summer swap is fine, since the R32s are the oldest in the system and therefore needs to be place out in the elevated section of a route in order for their A/C to function better completely.

Guest MTA Bus

Q won't be running 8 car trains of 60 foot cars. Therefore they won't get 50 R179s.

50 (amount of cars going to the Q for SAS) divided by 10 (amount of cars the (Q) uses) equals 5 (the amount of R179 10 car (Q) trains that will be used for SAS)

And you cannot do that if only 40 cars are in 5 car sets. You would have a negative spare factor- scheduling 5 trains when only 4 even exist.

That said, I rather doubt you'll see any on the Q as that would mean assigning 40 cars to a different shop than the balance of the fleet.

No one here is a mod except Lance, Shortline, ENY, Harry, Brighton Local, or Cait Sith. They can't threaten anything. Some people have trouble with respecting others' ideas. I actually like that car idea.

ALL THE CURRENT R46's are USED, for (A),(C),(F) and (R) service and once the R179's come in 64 R46's 6170-6258 Will go to SI to replace their R44's there, you guys are really thirsty for the (W) to go to brooklyn so thirsty that you guys don't even know how many subway cars that are used, Rerember the (W)'s R160's were deployed mostly to the (Q) and very few went to the (N) and this thread should close

But if the (Q) is cut back to 57th St full time and the (W) is brought back, couldn't the (W) get those R160s back?

588 R46s needed for daily service. 752 total in fleet. that makes roughly a 22% spare. You wouldn't want to schedule more than a few more trains to run with the R46 fleet. Also, I wouldn't expect the R46s to go to SI anytime soon, unless they tack a supplemental order onto the R179s or cancel SAS (I find both to be unlikely, but the former is a substantially more likely event than the latter).

I didn't realize 588 R46s were needed for daily service. That leaves only 166 for spares. That's not a whole lot so a restored (W) would not be able to run solely with R46s. It would have to run with a mixed fleet (perhaps a split between 160s and 46s). That way, there can still be a decent amount of spares left of both types of cars.

@ RollOverMyHead, do you understand the purpose of spare cars? Because there's a reason why the MTA has them.

I don't. But what reason there is of spare cars for their train and bus lines? I don't see any purpose of it. Nor do I feel that way. If you could explain and give evidence then I'll know why. Because unfortunately for SOME, this thread seems no point at all.

Trains break down. You need to have some in the yards to replace them.

Trains require regular inspection. They cannot be carrying people when they are in the inspection shop

Trains require regular maintenance. They cannot be in service while they are replacing parts.

This is not something which is special to New York. It is universal, and is the most essential part of fleet planning for any sort of transit.

SI Ferry needs 4 boats during rush hour. They have 6 in their large boat fleet.

The X51 needed 8 or 9 buses to run. Stengel had 13 buses for the run. (forget the exact number for each, but it is close if not exact)

The R160 fleet can't always make service as it is stretched pretty thin. R46s in Jamaica and R68s in Coney Island often will cover for the R160s. That is with a roughly 12% spare factor. If the R160s were not abnormally reliable than we would have serious problems making service.

I don't. But what reason there is of spare cars for their train and bus lines? I don't see any purpose of it. Nor do I feel that way. If you could explain and give evidence then I'll know why. Because unfortunately for SOME, this thread seems no point at all.

Perhaps because there is no real purpose other than speculating / imagining how best to distribute / redistribute rolling stock assignments in a division where they are working just fine. There will always be some people who don't see a point to a thread, especially speculative threads like this. So if you don't want to get attacked or worked up over that fact, then just don't post this kind of material. Simple as that.

And as for the assignments, things are a lot more complicated than they seem on the surface. Just because you have a certain number of cars doesn't mean that they can all be placed into revenue service at any given time due to the aforementioned reasons. It would be quite naive to assume that it's ok to run every car in service even though a good proportion of them may be defective / broken and need maintenance. That level of thought is usually reserved for pre-teens who haven't yet had to deal with real life situations where stuff breaks down and you actually need to shop it for a few days to a few weeks to repair it, as opposed to just taking a hot glue gun or a screwdriver and fixing the problem in 5 minutes. The (MTA) knows what its doing, or else we wouldn't have a transit system that works, regardless of the fact that its not the best one in the world.

Man some of you guys need to take a vacation from the internet. Damn some of you are being very unprofessional about all of this. Oh saying "come say that to my face" or "you don't know me" doesn't make you intimidating at all. Makes you like a coward who likes to talk big. That's is all folks.

Archived