B Division rolling stock

RollOver

Perhaps because there is no real purpose other than speculating / imagining how best to distribute / redistribute rolling stock assignments in a division where they are working just fine. There will always be some people who don't see a point to a thread, especially speculative threads like this. So if you don't want to get attacked or worked up over that fact, then just don't post this kind of material. Simple as that.

And as for the assignments, things are a lot more complicated than they seem on the surface. Just because you have a certain number of cars doesn't mean that they can all be placed into revenue service at any given time due to the aforementioned reasons. It would be quite naive to assume that it's ok to run every car in service even though a good proportion of them may be defective / broken and need maintenance. That level of thought is usually reserved for pre-teens who haven't yet had to deal with real life situations where stuff breaks down and you actually need to shop it for a few days to a few weeks to repair it, as opposed to just taking a hot glue gun or a screwdriver and fixing the problem in 5 minutes. The (MTA) knows what its doing, or else we wouldn't have a transit system that works, regardless of the fact that its not the best one in the world.

I understand.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you cannot do that if only 40 cars are in 5 car sets. You would have a negative spare factor- scheduling 5 trains when only 4 even exist.

That said, I rather doubt you'll see any on the Q as that would mean assigning 40 cars to a different shop than the balance of the fleet.

As you said, the 4 trains in 5 car sets will probably run on the A, assigned to the same shop as the 4 car sets on the C.

That will free up 4 R46 trains (plus spares) to be shipped back to Jamaica, where they'd presumably run on the F.

And that will free up 4 R160 trains to go down to CI, where they can run on the Q.

• 1 month later...

Just posting this now for later use in the future when/if the MTA officially announces the restoration of the (W) train when the first phase of Second Avenue Subway opens at stations 96th, 86th, and 72nd Streets.

2016-present

R46s (652 out of the 752 cars in service: 304 for the (A), 40 for the (F), 232 for the (R), 12 for the (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle, and 64 for the Staten Island Railway)

R68s (336 out of the 424 cars in service: 40 for the (B), 240 for the (D), 52 for the (G), and 4 for the Franklin Avenue Shuttle)

R68As (160 out of the 200 cars in service on the (B))

R143s (160 out of the 212 cars in service on the (L))

R160s (1,490 out of the 1,662 cars in service: 260 for the (E), 360 for the (F), 112 for the (J)(Z), 64 for the (L), 184 for the (M), 230 for the (N), 180 for the (Q) and 100 for the (W))

R179s (242 out of the 300 cars in service: 144 for the (C), 48 for the (J)(Z), and 50 for the (Q))

As you can see, I manage to shift the car assignments just right when the 300 R179s retire the 222 R32s and 50 R42s. Five trainsets of R160s taken off the Q to the W at Coney Island Yard with five more trainsets from the F at Jamaica Yard. The F operates with 36 trainsets of R160s and 5 trainsets of R46s. The W will be 100% R160s like the N just like how it was while the Q operates with 18 trainsets of R160s and 5 trainsets of R179s. The J/Z operates with 14 trainsets of R160s and 6 trainsets of R179s. As for the C train being 100% R179s, it will still be an 8-car train service of 60 footers while the A remains R46s until the R211s come in. That way, the F doesn't lose that large amount of R160s just for the sake of restoring the W.

Again, this is for future use. Thanks.

Not this again......

Chances are the A/C fleet is gonna be all 46's since 207 Yard is where trains go to die and the 46's will be up next.

Then where are the R179's going to go? You can't possibly think they'd give R68's to 207th...

Not this again......

Chances are the A/C fleet is gonna be all 46's since 207 Yard is where trains go to die and the 46's will be up next.

Agreed with Threxx. Seriously, all the 38 trainsets of R46s on the (A) will die at 207th Street Yard as well as the 12 sets on the Rockaway Park Shuttle, 64 sets on the Staten Island Railway, and the spare of the fleet. Unknown about the ones on the (F) and (R) though. What's going to become of the (R)'s fleet had the (A) and (C) be 100% R46s like the Rockaway Park Shuttle and Staten Island Railway respectively?....I highly doubt any other line will get R179s besides the (C), (J), (Z), and even the (Q)....these cars are to replace the 222 R32s and 50 R42s and was already confirmed that they will also see use on the Second Avenue Subway. But we will have to wait and see on that.

Anyways, like I said before, we will discuss this in the year of 2016, not now which is a good idea IMO.

Agreed with Threxx. Seriously, all the 38 trainsets of R46s on the (A) will die at 207th Street Yard as well as the 12 sets on the Rockaway Park Shuttle, 64 sets on the Staten Island Railway, and the spare of the fleet. Unknown about the ones on the (F) and (R) though. What's going to become of the (R)'s fleet had the (A) and (C) be 100% R46s like the Rockaway Park Shuttle and Staten Island Railway respectively?....I highly doubt any other line will get R179s besides the (C), (J), (Z), and even the (Q)....these cars are to replace the 222 R32s and 50 R42s and was already confirmed that they will also see use on the Second Avenue Subway. But we will have to wait and see on that.

Anyways, like I said before, we will discuss this in the year of 2016, not now which is a good idea IMO.

Why can't the (C) get R179's! God, they live with these old cars that they think are crap! Just give em' the new cars!

I know someone is gonna go off on me for this...But what is the projected/proposed plan for the R32s when and if the (C) gets R179s?

Retirement,though i'v heard 100 cars will go to Nigeria to be used as push-pull cars.

Retirement,though i'v heard 100 cars will go to Nigeria to be used as push-pull cars.

Thats A joke, thats not gonna really happen, they made up that joke just to get at the railfans, they will save a good chunk of cars for work service, Storage and Museum while the rest get scrapped or reefed (reason for reefing because the R32's are holding Up extremely well in the water according to various sources) but i doubt they get reefed since they canned that

Can't assign 50 to the Q, as only 40 will be configured in 5 car sets.

They could have if they ordered the R179s as married pairs (which they should have; same goes for the R160s and R143s). But they didn't so it's just four 10-car trains. I guess we'll find out if that's enough of a service increase to whichever line gets those 5-car sets.

Thats A joke, thats not gonna really happen, they made up that joke just to get at the railfans, they will save a good chunk of cars for work service, Storage and Museum while the rest get scrapped or reefed (reason for reefing because the R32's are holding Up extremely well in the water according to various sources) but i doubt they get reefed since they canned that

Who cares about reefing, sell that damn sh*t!

Then where are the R179's going to go? You can't possibly think they'd give R68's to 207th...

260 of the R179's are in 4 car sets. Some will be going to East New York, to replace the R42's and to increase service. The rest will all run on the C. There is no other place for them to go.

The 40 cars in 5 car sets can go pretty much anywhere else, but it wouldn't make sense to maintain a small number of R179's at a third shop. Therefore, I think it's a safe bet that they will go to the A, maintained at 207th along with the C's R179's. That will free up some R46's to go back to Jamaica for the F, which will free up some R160's to go to Coney Island for SAS.

Archived