Guy next to me on the Q22 has seizure (sorry, no video)

MottAvenueMan

So i'm on the Q22 on my way home from work when this guy breaks out into a seizure. I heard him let out a barking sound at first...figured he was trying to get the attention of the thick redbone across from me, lol, so i paid it no mind. Then he grunts like the guy in the 3rd rail video, does a barrel roll head first out the seat, striking his head on the seat in front of him and when he hits the floor of the bus.

His head winds up under the row of seats above the rear wheel well and his convulsing is making him strike his head repeatedly under the seats. People in the back jump up, i put my phone away and ask the people to watch out let me in (i've dealt with seizures in my security days). You're not really supposed to move a seizing patient but he could'nt go on banging his head like that so i place my hand against the bottom of the seat so it'll give him somewhat of a cushion while i slowly turn him from under the seat to give him some room while he's going through it. The lady next to the redbone, turns out she's some sort of nurse at a nursing home here in the rockaways, she takes over and makes sure he's getting air and not choking on his excess saliva and whatnot.

The driver pulls over and alerts supervision to the situation and comes to the back to check on the guy. We all try to fan the guy some air and make sure he does'nt try to get up. I kept having to reposition myself because he was still kicking his legs around and i didn't want to catch a nut shot. Medics arrive the same time as a supervisor does. By this time the seizing has diminished but he's still going through it a bit. We let the medics do their thing and they strap him to a backboard and take him out the front door.

Outside on the stretcher, the guy somewhat snaps out of it and asks where he was. I told him he had a seizure on the bus and he replies "OH SH%T". They take him to the hospital, supervisor tells the driver to save her notes for the report later. Nurse gets to work, I get to Mott Ave and walk home.

Way to get involved, eh?

Everyone on that bus should be thankful that you and the nurse were on board the bus as both of you helped save the person's life.

I congratulate both of you for what you did and the community (and especially the MTA) should recognize the both of you for coming to the aid of this person. You do not need the video to prove what you did as I do not think that you would have posted this statement on this forum.

Again, thank you for coming to the aid of a fellow person and helping save a person's life.

Archived