Questions about express buses...

B3 Via Av U

I have a couple of questions:

1) Say, by some superweird coincidence they need to run an express bus model on a local route, how is the farebox programmed to deduct $2.25 and not $5.50 from the MetroCard?

2) I have never been on the express bus, so I always wonder, does the bus operator stop at every drop-off stop, or is there some sort of stop request system?

3) Are bus operators required to use a certain level on the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge?

Thanks!:)

1) Say, by some superweird coincidence they need to run an express bus model on a local route, how is the farebox programmed to deduct $2.25 and not $5.50 from the MetroCard?

2) I have never been on the express bus, so I always wonder, does the bus operator stop at every drop-off stop, or is there some sort of stop request system?

3) Are bus operators required to use a certain level on the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge?

Thanks! :)

1. IDK!

2. There are stop request buttons on the bus.

3. I've see them mostly use the Upper Level to connect with the Gowanus Expressway, I think the Lower Level is only for the Local buses..

1) I think they can program the farebox seperately.

2) Nope. You reach up and press a little red button to request a stop. If nobody wants that stop, the B/O just passes it.

3) I don't think so. I honestly don't pay attention when we're on the bridge, but I think routes like the X1 that need to get off at one of the first exits use the lower level, because it leads to the right side of the toll plaza, whereas routes like the X17 that go right onto the SIE use the upper level because it leads to the left side of the toll plaza.

2) Drop-offs work differently from (MTA) Bus and NYCT. The SI express buses will generally stop just about anywhere to drop off with the idea being that they want to get folks off of the bus as quickly as possible and it seems to be that they have more liberty in this regard. (MTA) Bus express buses tend to be more strict though in which drivers have actual bus stops and they do not let off elsewhere for the most part. The SI express bus routes sometimes have actual drop off express bus stops and sometimes they don't so they'll drop off at the corner while there's a red light to try to keep things moving.

3) Not necessarily, but in some cases, some express buses that use the SIE for most of the time generally and not the service road up to say Slosson Avenue stick to one level of the bridge (upper level) to make it easier for them when coming off of the Verrazano Bridge to get right on to the SIE. Usually the X10B, X12, X42 and X17A, X17C, X19 and any other express bus that uses the SIE for an extended period of time will use the upper level since it allows them to get to the SIE once they get past the tolls. The other buses will usually use the lower level, but nothing is written in stone on that. I've seen some drivers use the upper level when they're going to using the service road, but when the weather is really bad or there is a great deal of fog or wind, then the upper level may not be an option, forcing all buses to use the lower level and those who need the SIE have to make their way over to it cutting across lanes and such, which always amazes me. The X12 and X10B for example use the SIE up to Slosson and they have to make their way from the HOV lane over which is in the furthest left hand lane and then cross over to the furthest lane on the right hand side to get to the service road. With the maniac drivers on Staten Island I'm always amazed that no buses get into accidents doing that because many B/Os don't even slow down when crossing lanes. lol

2) Drop-offs work differently from (MTA) Bus and NYCT. The SI express buses will generally stop just about anywhere to drop off with the idea being that they want to get folks off of the bus as quickly as possible and it seems to be that they have more liberty in this regard. (MTA) Bus express buses tend to be more strict though in which drivers have actual bus stops and they do not let off elsewhere for the most part. The SI express bus routes sometimes have actual drop off express bus stops and sometimes they don't so they'll drop off at the corner while there's a red light to try to keep things moving.

I'd just like to add that in Manhattan, there often isn't an actual stop that says "Express: Drop-off Only", and they usually just drop off at a stop that's closest to where it's actually marked (for instance, some stops along 6th Avenue just say M5/BxM18, so they drop off over there). On Staten Island, most stops are labeled, but there are a few where they just drop off at the stop where it's closest (for instance, on the X10/11 at Victory Blvd & Willowbrook Road, they just drop off at the S62/92/93 stop even though it doesn't say "X10/X11: Drop-off Only).

1.) I think the B/Os can reprogram the bus farebox to make it $2.25. My friend told me that the coach buses used to run on the B1, I don't know if I believe them.

2.) The stop request button has to be hit if the passenger needs to exit at their stop just like local buses. Buses just pass by if no stop request button has hit.

3.) I don't know.

They have to program the farebox to accept the $2.25 fare, either manually or by a button IIRC

There is. There is a red button above you that says stop, and you press that button to signal the driver

As long as it wont cause routing problems or problems then no

1.) I think the B/Os can reprogram the bus farebox to make it $2.25. My friend told me that the coach buses used to run on the B1, I don't know if I believe them.

I have seen a Q23 bus running with coach once towards the Apartments.

1) The appropriate fare class has to be set on the farebox. One is for local routes, the other for express routes.

I think the B/Os can reprogram the bus farebox to make it $2.25. My friend told me that the coach buses used to run on the B1, I don't know if I believe them.

When I was a kid, they had RTS buses with soft seats running on the B1. Back when express buses started, they were used for express service, but once MCIs came in, they were transferred to local service. They weren't MCIs, though.

I have never been on the express bus, so I always wonder, does the bus operator stop at every drop-off stop, or is there some sort of stop request system?

- No, b/o's dont stop at every drop off stop (it's not like the subway where buses stop at every stop along the route)......

- There's a stop request "system", in that, you ring the bell to get off at your stop - just like on a local bus....

The only major difference (besides fare) b/w the express & the local in general is express buses are "closed door" services, while locals are "open door".....

Since you're also from Brooklyn, I'll give a Bklyn. example:

Don't expect to board the x28 somewhere along Cropsey av, to take it somewhere along 86th st (meaning, before it dives onto the gowanus expwy)..... No intra-borough traveling.....

As for the fare, on the farebox when you sign onto the farebox you have to enter a different code

on the "fareset" for local or express.

When RTS (softseats) busses where used for express service they were

also used for local service when/if there was short RTS (hardseats) busses.

Also I've seen passenger get on the express bus like the X28/38

at the begening (Coney Island/ Canal) of the line and pay there fare (5.50)

and get off one of the stops still in Brooklyn before the bus gets on

the highway. I guess it was worth the money to save time.

Also I've seen passenger get on the express bus like the X28/38

at the begening (Coney Island/ Canal) of the line and pay there fare (5.50)

and get off one of the stops still in Brooklyn before the bus gets on

the highway. I guess it was worth the money to save time.

Oddly enough on the x1 heading towards Eltingville Transit Center on Steuben Street before Hylan Blvd., there is a DOT sign for the x1 bus stop that says |x1| New Dorp |, I wonder if one could board there.

As for buses going across the VNB, I ride the x1, x10 and x17c off-peak and on weekends and buses have traveled on both levels.

Archived