Nassau Inter-County Express Proposals and Ideas

VWM

I have a proposal to make the N20 consistent with its limited counterpart. How about in both directions, it bypasses Great Neck LIRR, Roslyn Clock Tower, does not get on the grounds of NYiT and CW Post

This would be like the n22x bypassing RFM.... You see what happened with the n22L....

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That came out wrong. I meant that the N20 limited should bypass Great Neck Station and Roslyn Clock Tower in both directions. It also doesn't get on the grounds of NYiT and CW Post. The local can remain as is. I thought N21's already short turn at Great Neck?

The n20 limited already skips those stops during rush hours. Both Great Neck and the Roslyn Clock Tower are served by the n21.

The n20 limited already skips those stops during rush hours. Both Great Neck and the Roslyn Clock Tower are served by the n21.

Actually all n20L trips now enters NYIT Loop, even local n20 buses goes through NYIT on weekends as well.

That came out wrong. I meant that the N20 limited should bypass Great Neck Station and Roslyn Clock Tower in both directions. It also doesn't get on the grounds of NYiT and CW Post. The local can remain as is. I thought N21's already short turn at Great Neck?

NICE change n20L to enter NYIT, except for few morning trips from Hicksville doesn't go into NYIT.

This would be like the n22x bypassing RFM.... You see what happened with the n22L....

I rode the N22L once, btw...not a lot of ridership. It also bypassed Mineola Terminal...

I didn't know that...The N20 limited bypassed Great Neck but not the Clock Tower eastbound when I rode it 2011...

Actually all n20L trips now enters NYIT Loop, even local n20 buses goes through NYIT on weekends as well.

NICE change n20L to enter NYIT, except for few morning trips from Hicksville doesn't go into NYIT.

Ok thanks. Haven't rode NICE in a minute. Other proposals I have are reinstating bi-directional service to/from Jamaica on the N1 and restoring the Hillside/Francis Lewis stop on the N6X

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Commuter express bus service to Penn Station from Hempstead or Long Beach as an alternative from the LIRR.

The problem is, NICE would have to purchase more stuff in order to provide service, by means of buses, or upholstered seats. Furthermore, NICE doesn't have enough funds as it is to being doing that, nor the resources to do so. Third of all, most people just go to the LIRR. This isn't like Westchester, where the train was utter crap, and people still use the line today. Bee Line's riders use the BxM4C. I'm not so sure that would be the case with a NICE bus version of it. Where would the start and ending points be in addition to that. Some bus companies do that, but the fares are extremely high, about $15 or so.

Nice should have express bus service from all points on li out to penn station. It would give the Lirr some competition. If nice charged regular $2.75 fare these buses would be used a lot. Buses can zoom to manhattan on lie in hov lane.

It wouldn't work. Because people usually takes expensive 7bus or Hampton Jitney or GoBus Long Island Transit.

That's already covered by GoBus Long Island Transit that travels from Glen Cove and Roslyn Park & Ride. People prefer comfortable clean buses than NICE Bus.

People still will choose LIRR because Long Island Expressway could be nightmare during rush hour.

NICE Bus don't have enough budget to operate in/out from Manhattan.

Why does Bee-line have bus that goes from upstate to manhattan? people take it, so why wouldn't a nice -express bus from li to penn station work? bus would go on lie non stop into qnz-midtown tunnel, I think people would take it, but I hope bus wouldn't break down on lie, bc people would be stranded,

Why does Bee-line have bus that goes from upstate to manhattan? people take it, so why wouldn't a nice -express bus from li to penn station work? bus would go on lie non stop into qnz-midtown tunnel, I think people would take it, but I hope bus wouldn't break down on lie, bc people would be stranded,

They already have that kind of bus service in Long Island, it just isn't operated by NICE...

Bee line pretty much has Westchester on lock when it comes to bus service, except for I-Bus and the TSZ bus and those travel to Stamford and Rockland County.

7bus and GoBus has fancy OTR buses with wifi and such, ain't nobody gonna ditch those services to ride poorly maintained NICE transit buses.

Not so many people take Bee-Line BxM4C because it cost $7.50 Coins or Regular MetroCard between Midtown and Westchester County. AM operates from Westchester to Manhattan and during PM Rush Hour, bus goes back to White Plains.

$7.50 wow no thank you, why can't the fare be $2.75 like nice bus charges? People

7.50 sounds like a stuggle that's $15 a day!

When MTA Express Bus used to be $5.50, it was $5.50, but in order to say weekday BxM4C Bee-Line (White Plains-Midtown), it increase fare to $7.50.

Maybe people will use monthly unlimited on bxm4c to avoid the $7.50 cash fare.

There is no unlimited card for the BxM4C. The current express bus unlimited doesn't work. 

$7.50 wow no thank you, why can't the fare be $2.75 like nice bus charges? People

7.50 sounds like a stuggle that's $15 a day!

Because the express bus costs a lot to operate. If you operate it on a $2.75 fare, you would have an extremely low farebox recovery. Every agency does this with commuter services, some more than others. The express/commuter bus has higher fares. 

Believe it or not, the BxM4C is almost at, at the point, or has exceeded a 100% farebox recovery rate in the past few years.

100% farebox recovery rate = all costs to operate have been nullified by the fares recieved

It may not be the same at NICE bus, given how Nassau County tend to prefer the car or the LIRR over anything else. Unless that changes, you're not gonna get a good amount of ridership on a commuter line of sorts. The MTA Express Buses have a significantly higher fare in order to cover costs for their trips.

• 2 months later...

I'm not too knowledgeable about the system, having only ridden three routes, but I am knowledgeable about the need to get people out of their cars. Let's face it: the bus-riding population in Nassau County is a minority, and few people who don't have to ride it do. The buses are decent for those who have no other choice, but aren't convenient or frequent enough to get people who can afford to drive out of their cars. In fact, most people I know don't even know that NICE exists. The idea I'm about to propose is a little more radical than the others here, but I think it can be viable.

I realize that lower density suburbs like the majority of Nassau County are harder to serve by public transportation; however, most towns have a few main roads and a few points of interest. For example, the town I live in is highly interlaced with another town; together they have two LIRR stations, a few shopping areas, two of which are located on walkable parts of main roads, a few parks, a few good restaurants, a high school, and two harbor beaches (I live on the north shore, if you're wondering). All of this is located for the most part along three main roads. What if NICE, with heavy subsidies from and perhaps joint ventures with town governments, could build simple, reliable local shuttle bus systems with distinct brands and noticeable stops to link up points of interest within towns?

In order to get people out of their cars, they need to be convenient, with buses reliably showing up as often as every ten minutes, visible, with attractive bus shelters and distinct brands, inexpensive, with a fare of around $1 payable with bills or a MetroCard (and perhaps refill machines at major stops), and easy to figure out, with information regarding routes, fares, and schedules located at each stop, and both visible and audible onboard route and stop announcements. The buses would also be equipped with system information brochures, and preferably comfortable seats/outlets/WiFi to further attract riders. These systems could also take cues from the Flex-Bus in Cape Cod, allowing people to both "flag" the bus down, and request in advance for the bus to "flex" off the route to pick them up closer to their house. This way, they'd serve as catalysts, both to encourage awareness and the use of public transportation, and to encourage more walkable transit-oriented development along the routes they serve. The initial fiscal barrier to creating and running these systems would be justified by the reduction in traffic and overall quality of life improvements that public transit and walking can lead to.

• 4 weeks later...

Some proposals I would make, given the current NICE situation:

1. n15: eliminate all Washington Avenue service (this service currently operates only during rush hours). This would shave 8 minutes off of each scheduled n15 trip. Alternate service would be available via a short walk from the n40/41.

2. n19: discontinue service between Westfield Sunrise and Babylon. Reroute to Amityville LIRR for connections to the S1 Halesite service and LIRR service to and from Babylon. Alternate trips would go to and from Amityville on weekdays and Saturdays.

3. n31: eliminate midday trips between Lynbrook and Hempstead. (This was something done under Long Island Bus.)

4. n45 or n47: Extend to Rose Kennedy BOCES to replace the n46

5. n48: Eliminate Saturday service (this route would operate only Monday-Friday). n49 service would have short turns between HTC and NUMC to maintain Front Street headways. There isn't any reason to have Carman Avenue service on Saturdays since the county jail has no Saturday visiting hours.

It's obviously a network coverage issue, but of the cut routes, the one I'd most want to save ts the n73, extended to Broadway Mall, the n80 (south of Bethpage), and all of the n81.

Also, what is n27 Sunday ridership like on the Westbury Boulevard segment? I would argue that the preferred route between HTC and Roosevelt Field is the n15 (non-rush hour) and n35 routing. Also, how is ridership on the n31/32 segment between Woodfield Road and Five Corners?

Also, how is ridership on the n31/32 segment between Woodfield Road and Five Corners?

When I used to ride the N31/N32  The stops usually made were 5 Corners (Blake Ave), Hemsptead & Franklin,  sometimes a stop in Malvern by the movie theater, Hempstead Ave & Eagle Ave, some stop around Elm St,  Poplar St,  Woodfield Rd.

Darn no way to save the n19 sunrise- Babylon segment

I must say this and is a fact...the n19 bus segment between Babylon and sunrise gets about 3-4 more passengers than the penultimate s40 bus patchogue- Babylon

Let me say this. ..there is another option to get into Nassau from the east end and that is by way of the s58...the problem here is that that bus is scheduled to make it to commack Macy's at 825pm but that bus is unreliable to must making it between 835pm and 8:40pm...how is to make a bus arrive the SAME time as the LAST repeat LAST s54 bus to w.w mall and henceone enters nNassau and transfer to the last n22 to Jamaica (NY City)

But now is to tell the s40 driver to make it between 9:15pm and 9:18pm to Babylon and no rest stop at bay shore and there connect at ease to theLAST n72 bus

There is also if one uses threeride to NY. ..to just use the LIRR which cost $3 Babylon- Freepor . And There pay $2.75 n4/(E) and thus be in Manhattan

Darn no way to save the n19 sunrise- Babylon segment

I must say this and is a fact...the n19 bus segment between Babylon and sunrise gets about 3-4 more passengers than the penultimate s40 bus patchogue- Babylon

Let me say this. ..there is another option to get into Nassau from the east end and that is by way of the s58...the problem here is that that bus is scheduled to make it to commack Macy's at 825pm but that bus is unreliable to must making it between 835pm and 8:40pm...how is to make a bus arrive the SAME time as the LAST repeat LAST s54 bus to w.w mall and henceone enters nNassau and transfer to the last n22 to Jamaica (NY City)

But now is to tell the s40 driver to make it between 9:15pm and 9:18pm to Babylon and no rest stop at bay shore and there connect at ease to theLAST n72 bus

There is also if one uses threeride to NY. ..to just use the LIRR which cost $3 Babylon- Freepor . And There pay $2.75 n4/(E) and thus be in Manhattan

If the S58 is that late, the only way to get it so it's on time would be to do something about the traffic. Though also remember that that last S58 run into Northport was just added not all that long ago, so that could also be a reason that it's late.

S40 drivers take a rest in Bay Shore?, 

Archived