Nassau Inter-County Express Proposals and Ideas

VWM

I forgot about that last minute add...yes that is all true

But the s54 is real considerate because that last run actually leaves commack at 8:30pm (5 minutes late) in end to wait for the last s58 bus to reach the plaza. ..the problem is that the s58 gets to the terminal 10-15 minutes late so in turn reaching commack at 8:25pm is approbability of 25%

Thats why i prefer the s66 over the s58 but well as long as the s40 makes it at 9:18pm latest im down with that

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not have eliminated the n19 from Sunrise Mall to Babylon, I think this is one of the worst decisions NICE has made. 

There are alot of "loose ends" around the NICE system that first should have been tied up before eliminating service.  First the way the n19 and n54/n55 enters Sunrise Mall is flawed.  The n19 does too much unneeded traveling on Sunrise Hwy, the n54/n55 should be rerouted in Amityville.  It unnecessarily travels on Broadway all the way to Louden in Amityville and waits to take that left on Louden.  Waits at a light at Sunrise, then depending on the driver crosses sunrise to wait at another light at Carmans to take a left on Carmens or takes a left on Sunrise, a right then a left on Carmens.  No matter the route the driver takes they take Carmans down to a heavy merge all the way to where the buses uses to get into Sunrise mall.  The n54/n55 should not travel on Broadway to Louden if people in that part of town need the n54/n55 they can take the s1 to Amityville RR and transfer.  From the RR there are far more efficient ways to get into Sunrise Mall.

Now for my proposals.  Instead of eliminating the n19 from Sunrise to Babylon I would eliminate the bus going to Sunrise Mall all together.   Maybe route the n19 through Amityville via County Line Rd., Oak St. Rt. 110/Broadway.  This route would pass by the Amityville RR on Oak St. but for efficiency not go into the railroad.   the n19 and n54/n55 (depending if routing stayed the same) would stop at the bus stops used by SCT on Oak St.  There are a number of options passing through Amityville RR and Oak st for anyone needing to get to/from Sunrise Mall.  Also the s2o can be accessed on Oak St to get to/from Babylon (it uses Oak/Hoffman/RR ave to get to Babylon RR, not Montauk Hwy).

Here's another idea share the proposed eliminated route with Suffolk (although I like my routing through Amityville better than the n19 going through Sunrise Mall)

Reduce service on NICE to hourly, Every other NICE n19 can go to Sunrise Mall or Amityville while every other NICE n19 goes to Babylon RR.  Take service on a SCT line like the s29 and extend every other s29 from South Bay Shopping Center to Amityville or Sunrise Mall giving a free transfer from the s29/n19...

Ive always hated that long lasting semaphore lights in the sunrise mall area. ..heck it takes nearly 5 minutes fir a n19 bus access unqua road another area vulnerable to these demoring traffic lights. ..i think the n19 should better make a U turn about 200 m from the unqua road access and have a 3-4 minute saving time

The same goes to the louden and carnmans lights. ..have the sequence change at 60/40 not 80/20

Some proposals I would make, given the current NICE situation:

1. n15: eliminate all Washington Avenue service (this service currently operates only during rush hours). This would shave 8 minutes off of each scheduled n15 trip. Alternate service would be available via a short walk from the n40/41.

2. n19: discontinue service between Westfield Sunrise and Babylon. Reroute to Amityville LIRR for connections to the S1 Halesite service and LIRR service to and from Babylon. Alternate trips would go to and from Amityville on weekdays and Saturdays.

3. n31: eliminate midday trips between Lynbrook and Hempstead. (This was something done under Long Island Bus.)

4. n45 or n47: Extend to Rose Kennedy BOCES to replace the n46

5. n48: Eliminate Saturday service (this route would operate only Monday-Friday). n49 service would have short turns between HTC and NUMC to maintain Front Street headways. There isn't any reason to have Carman Avenue service on Saturdays since the county jail has no Saturday visiting hours.

It's obviously a network coverage issue, but of the cut routes, the one I'd most want to save ts the n73, extended to Broadway Mall, the n80 (south of Bethpage), and all of the n81.

Also, what is n27 Sunday ridership like on the Westbury Boulevard segment? I would argue that the preferred route between HTC and Roosevelt Field is the n15 (non-rush hour) and n35 routing. Also, how is ridership on the n31/32 segment between Woodfield Road and Five Corners?

First of all you have the N15 skip Washington ave.Are u nuts I know this is a suggestion but what about the people going to court who can't take a car the N15 is one route nice doesn't mess with.

Ive always hated that long lasting semaphore lights in the sunrise mall area. ..heck it takes nearly 5 minutes fir a n19 bus access unqua road another area vulnerable to these demoring traffic lights. ..i think the n19 should better make a U turn about 200 m from the unqua road access and have a 3-4 minute saving time

The same goes to the louden and carnmans lights. ..have the sequence change at 60/40 not 80/20

Suggest it to NICE they do listen to suggestions. 

Here's another idea share the proposed eliminated route with Suffolk (although I like my routing through Amityville better than the n19 going through Sunrise Mall)

Reduce service on NICE to hourly, Every other NICE n19 can go to Sunrise Mall or Amityville while every other NICE n19 goes to Babylon RR.  Take service on a SCT line like the s29 and extend every other s29 from South Bay Shopping Center to Amityville or Sunrise Mall giving a free transfer from the s29/n19...

I remember that NICE was thinking about making every other n19 trip go to Babylon (or was it LIB?) im not sure.

I remember that NICE was thinking about making every other n19 trip go to Babylon (or was it LIB?) im not sure.

I think I remember this as well.  It must have been LIB because NICE usually proposes something and from my (lacking) memory the committee has always approved it.

Can anyone tell me if the committee can shoot down parts of a proposal or they must agree to everything or nothing in a proposal?

It would have been a better option to reduce service to every 45 minutes on the n19 with everyother trip ending at the mall or just leaving the n19 the way it was and dropping it to hourly service.  I wonder what the cost of each option was or if they they even looked into options besides cutting it at the mall?

I still like my idea of keeping service to the n19 to Babylon, eliminating service to the mall, routing the bus through Amityville via Merrick<--->Countyline<--->W. Oak<--->Broadway/Rt.110<--->Merrick.

It takes about 20 minutes to get to the Amityville/Massapequa County line from Freeport, about 20 minutes to get to/from the Mall and back to Merrick Rd.,and about 20 via the Amityville/Massapequa county line to get to Babylon?  Again, IMO, the portion of the n19 with the lowest riders boardering or exiting thre bus has to be the streets leading two from Merrick Rd and Sunrise Mall?  If a third of the route is to be axed shouldn't it be the portion with lowest ridership?

I think my idea is Awesome, but here is a couple of other reasons why my idea is awesome.  The n19 gets held up on Merrick Rd in Amityville during rush hours as the portion of Merrick is only 30mph, very rarely is any vehicle doing 30mph on that portion of Merrick in Amityville.  Also that stretch of Merrick in Amityville is the only stretch of Merrick/Montauk the bus travels that reduces to one travel lane in each direction.  All that mess for all of what 2 bus stops in either direction?  My routing through Amityville will also give the traveler the much requested transfer to the s1, possibly increasing revenue for NICE because its only a 20 minute ride and now this can save about $10 a week because they can transfer to the s1, something they must pay extra for using the train.

I actually counted. If any bus entering Sunrise Mall and miss the left turn traffic light, they have to wait 90 minutes until it change to green.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking that certain N1 and N6 trips should serve the Queens Village LIRR station via Jamaica Ave and Springfield Blvd. It would make the station convenient to access, especially for those along the Hempstead Turnpike Corridor which is not really near LIRR service. 

Perhaps the initial implementation can be on weekends where one trip per direction per hour (either N6 only, and/or extended N1) serves the station to connect with arriving/departing train's in the same direction, as bus riders are more likely to use the Station because of City Ticket and Queens Blvd track work. 

I was thinking that certain N1 and N6 trips should serve the Queens Village LIRR station via Jamaica Ave and Springfield Blvd. It would make the station convenient to access, especially for those along the Hempstead Turnpike Corridor which is not really near LIRR service. 

Perhaps the initial implementation can be on weekends where one trip per direction per hour (either N6 only, and/or extended N1) serves the station to connect with arriving/departing train's in the same direction, as bus riders are more likely to use the Station because of City Ticket and Queens Blvd track work. 

I don't see that as necessary at all. NYCT Bus has Queens Village LIRR service covered well, so need to slow down NICE buses more with that unnecessary detour. It's a very short walk from both of those routes to the LIRR station should someone need the connection.

I don't see that as necessary at all. NYCT Bus has Queens Village LIRR service covered well, so need to slow down NICE buses more with that unnecessary detour. It's a very short walk from both of those routes to the LIRR station should someone need the connection.

NYCT routes don't come out from Nassau County. That's his point: He wants to give NICE riders an alternative to taking the (F) from 179th Street.

West Hempstead station isn't too far away from Hempstead tpke but i would gradually have n1 buses terminate at queens village LIRR station. Justone pproblem. 2 mta buses terminatethere. ..q83 and the q88 aand some q27 as well as the q1 so for n1 buses the tterminal would be more. As a rest stop rather than a real. Bus terminal (Hewlett or green acres wouldact as tthe by fact bus terminus)

West Hempstead station isn't too far away from Hempstead tpke but i would gradually have n1 buses terminate at queens village LIRR station. Justone pproblem. 2 mta buses terminatethere. ..q83 and the q88 aand some q27 as well as the q1 so for n1 buses the tterminal would be more. As a rest stop rather than a real. Bus terminal (Hewlett or green acres wouldact as tthe by fact bus terminus)

NYCT routes don't come out from Nassau County. That's his point: He wants to give NICE riders an alternative to taking the (F) from 179th Street.

See below:

I like that you said it twice either by mistake or to emphasize it more (let's go with that), but for just the n1, might be a good idea to try out. Absolutely no reason to mess with the n6 that NICE has already screwed up severely.

Keep in mind I said one n6 trip per hour, per direction since the Hempstead Branch runs hourly on weekends. Also, Queens Village is a NYC station in which City Ticket can be used. West Hempstead runs bi-hourly on weekends and would be in the opposite direction of the users I have in mind, this is for riders that are on the western portion of the N6 route. (Elmont, Franklin Square, North Valley Stream).

NICE is also more likely to get the entire fare instead of splitting it with NYCT.

See below:

I like that you said it twice either by mistake or to emphasize it more (let's go with that), but for just the n1, might be a good idea to try out. Absolutely no reason to mess with the n6 that NICE has already screwed up severely.

The n1 and the n6 can serve the Queens Village LIRR station without terminating in Queens Village. Both routes can use Springfield Blvd to reach Jamaica Avenue and stop at the LIRR station on their way to/from the 165th St. Bus Terminal.

It was by mistake since was writing from my smartphone. ..which sometimes acts up

But like i said that would be a better option for the n1 and it can descongestionate the sole n6 passing Hempstead tpke at all times minus late night hours

If it was unclear. My Idea was about using Springfield and Jamaica Ave to serve the Queens Village LIRR station.

Weekdays it would be N6 and N1 in the peak direction. (and only the scheduled trips which would be able to make a timely connection)

Weekends it would be one n6 trip per hour, per direction to connect with Hempstead Branch trains and the N1's northern terminal can be moved to the LIRR or since it actually runs every 40 mins on Saturdays and 45 mins on Sundays, only certain trips?

If it was unclear. My Idea was about using Springfield and Jamaica Ave to serve the Queens Village LIRR station.

Weekdays it would be N6 and N1 in the peak direction. (and only the scheduled trips which would be able to make a timely connection)

Weekends it would be one n6 trip per hour, per direction to connect with Hempstead Branch trains and the N1's northern terminal can be moved to the LIRR or since it actually runs every 40 mins on Saturdays and 45 mins on Sundays, only certain trips?

The question is: Would it be more beneficial overall to extend the N1 to Floral Park, and have it run once an hour (eastbound trains arrive at :24, while westbound trains depart at :28 so that works out perfectly with the scheduling) or keep the current setup of 40-45 minute service from Gibson to Elmont?

You would probably know better than I do, but it seems like Springfield Blvd is a pretty heavy stop, so it might take a few people off the N6 that way, as well as provide/maintain the direct connection from that section of Queens to Elmont & North Valley Stream.

The question is: Would it be more beneficial overall to extend the N1 to Floral Park, and have it run once an hour (eastbound trains arrive at :24, while westbound trains depart at :28 so that works out perfectly with the scheduling) or keep the current setup of 40-45 minute service from Gibson to Elmont?

You would probably know better than I do, but it seems like Springfield Blvd is a pretty heavy stop, so it might take a few people off the N6 that way, as well as provide/maintain the direct connection from that section of Queens to Elmont & North Valley Stream.

Floral Park Station would cost more, but also Floral Park Village would Reject the idea lol

Floral Park Station would cost more, but also Floral Park Village would Reject the idea lol

Well, I suppose that's an idea (provide some direct service up Plainfield Avenue).

But that was a mistake on my part. I meant to say Queens Village. Basically, I was asking, which would be better?

* 40-45 minute headways from Elmont to Gibson (current setup)

* 60 minute headways from Queens Village to Gibson

Well, I suppose that's an idea (provide some direct service up Plainfield Avenue).

But that was a mistake on my part. I meant to say Queens Village. Basically, I was asking, which would be better?

* 40-45 minute headways from Elmont to Gibson (current setup)

* 60 minute headways from Queens Village to Gibson

I'm not sure, I haven't used the N1 on weekends in a while but more frequent would be better than hourly service. If they bypassed Valley Stream LIRR perhaps they could keep the same headway.

Archived