Nassau Inter-County Express Proposals and Ideas

VWM

I don't agree with his idea either.

n2/8: Bring back only n2 Green Acres Loop.

n14, n17, n62 buses are not needed.

n19/S20: Reroute S20 Loop to Carmen Mill Rd instead of NYS 110 because according to poster on NICE Bus, senior citizens along Carmen Mill Rd is home bound because there is no bus service.

n20: Bring direct back between Hicksville and Flushing via Great Neck.

n20L: Don't bring back.

n21: Glen Cove-Great Neck Only with 7-Day (I agreed with NICE Bus Setup)

n50: Bring back during rush hour.

n51: Bring back as NCC School Tripper.

n73/74: Bring back only n73 with no Levitown routing.

n80/81: Bring back n81 bus only.

The only way that I'll support the Green Acres Loop is if they eliminated service on Elmont Road South of Stuart Avenue, and have the n2 use Central and Stuart Avenues like the n1. No one on Hook Creek needs the n2.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My comments on Well's proposal. I open his file through Google Drive since I don't have

What NICE Bus Services Needs To Be Restored & What New Services Need To Come to Existence

Because of the many service cuts that took place on NICE Bus routes, many folks are either forced to (A) backtrack for a transfer, (B) take extra buses, or (C) take a taxi due to a lack of bus services in an area. Below are the following suggestions for service restoration and to improve connectivity in Nassau County.

Start a new n2 service from Jamaica Center to Franklin Hospital Medical Center (see map) with possible extension to Roosevelt (see n3) via Dutch Broadway.

I disagreed.

Start a new n3 service from Jamaica Center to Roosevelt (see map above and below) via Hendrickson Avenue with possible extension to either Nassau Community College or East Meadow.

24 Hour service to the n15, n20 G/H, n22, n32, and n41.

I agree only for n15, n20G, n32 and n40/41.

Sunday service added to the n16 and n31 with increased overall service to the n31/n32.

I disagree. There's n15 parells n16.

Extension of the n24 route to New Island Hospital replacing the Northern segment of the former n81 route at All Times. 24 Hour service to the n24.

I disagree. n24 will be too long.

Restructure the n78/n79 routes with extensions and a new n76/n77 route. The new n76 route is to operate from Walt Whitman Mall to Hicksville following most the n79 route (with exception to servicing Syosset via Jericho Tpke), then replace the former n80 route to Massapequa, Merrick Road/Broadway. The new n77 route is to run from Plainview to Hicksville following the n78 route, then South to Wantagh via the former n73/n74 route following the former n74 route via Jerusalem Avenue North of Hempstead Tpke and the former n73 and n74 routes via Gardines Avenue and Wantagh Avenues South of Hempstead Tpke. The n78 extension to Bellmore and n79 extension to Mineola are seen in the maps below.

I disagree.

Extension of the n35 to Oyster Bay at All Times.

I disagree.

Extension of the n48/n49 to Oyster Bay at All Times.

I disagree because it will be more longer wait and longer commute.

Increased service on the n70/n71/n72. Weekend service added to the n70, and Sunday Service added to the n72 to Babylon. Overall service every 6 to 10 minutes on Weekdays, every 8 to 12 minutes on Saturdays, every 10 to 15 minutes on Sundays and every 12 to 20 minutes during Evenings.

I agree with n72 bus only, but with current Saturday frequency.

New n7 route from Jamaica Bus Terminal to Adelphi University on Weekdays Only.

I disagree. Adelphi University students could just take n22/24 to Mineola or n6/31/32 bus to Hempstead to catch their shuttle bus.

Restructuring of the n1 to extend to Floral Park LIRR Station at All Times (24 Hour service). Customers to/from Jamaica are to transfer to the n4 at Merrick Road, the new n2 or n3 in Elmont, or to the n6 at Elmont Road.

I disagree. n1 should stay serving Jamaica peak direction.

New n8 route from Floral Park LIRR Station to Green Acres via Meacham Avenue, Fletcher Avenue and Rockaway Avenue replacing the former n2 route 7 Days a Week between 6 AM and Midnight.

I disagree. That's confuse many former n2/8 riders.

I said about two months ago of a NICE bus to access Oyster Bay but coming from Hicksville since it is closer to Hicksville than it is to Glen Cove not to mention the many transfers conceived at Hicksville (n20,n22,n24,n48/49,n78/79) and that the LIRR passes very frequently

If extendin . The n35 to oyster bay then this would make the n35 the longest NICE bus route in Nassau county since the distance between Baldwin and Oyster Bay is about 70 km (nearly a s62 SCT bus route) ...and it passing through two of the busiest areas of the county (Hempstead and the universities areas RFM) ...a headway would be of 1h45 (similar to the s62 bus)

I said about two months ago of a NICE bus to access Oyster Bay but coming from Hicksville since it is closer to Hicksville than it is to Glen Cove not to mention the many transfers conceived at Hicksville (n20,n22,n24,n48/49,n78/79) and that the LIRR passes very frequently

If extendin . The n35 to oyster bay then this would make the n35 the longest NICE bus route in Nassau county since the distance between Baldwin and Oyster Bay is about 70 km (nearly a s62 SCT bus route) ...and it passing through two of the busiest areas of the county (Hempstead and the universities areas RFM) ...a headway would be of 1h45 (similar to the s62 bus)

He's idea is not very good.

Should the n48 Jericho Quad shuttle get a new number, since it doesn't resemble the main n48 at all, beside originating/terminating at Hicksville LIRR. Any number would be open, perhaps n68 or so.

I would say so.

If they're confused, wouldn't it make sense to renumber it? I don't have a problem with the current set-up in terms of service, but I don't believe there should be two n48's, especially since they have nothing in common besides Hicksville LIRR. Bringing back the n48/49 costs more than just renumbering it.

I assume the savings come from interlining the shuttle with one of the other routes, right? (I think the n48/49 interline with each other at the Broadway Mall, but I'm not sure).

n19/S20: Reroute S20 Loop to Carmen Mill Rd instead of NYS 110 because according to poster on NICE Bus, senior citizens along Carmen Mill Rd is home bound because there is no bus service.

Yes, so because one poster says the bus should be routed to that street, SCT must bow down to their wishes. :rolleyes: Even though Route 110 is a larger thoroughfare and offers Montauk Highway riders a connection to the S1 (and a quicker connection to the S33 at Amityville)

If such a route were to exist, I would say to start at Hicksville, run down Woodbury Road, South Oyster Bay Road, swing over to the Syosset Hospital, go to the Syosset LIRR station, and then make its way to Oyster Bay from there.

Bingo now were talking ^^^

No way extending the n35 the headway is super long accounting the many traffic lights and traffic between Hempstead and Garden City ...i would rather extend the n48 to Oyster Bay and the n49 to Syosett having the n48 take all route 106 and the n49 take Jericho turnpike and turn at S. Oyster Bay road (Jackson ave as it enters Syosett) ...the buses will serve Jericho Quad at all times as.it would emter the quadrants much like SCT buses enter smith haven Mall

Correction it is 35 km (22 mi.) From Baldwin to Oyster Bay (half the s62 route in a timing similar to the s62)

I would say so.

I assume the savings come from interlining the shuttle with one of the other routes, right? (I think the n48/49 interline with each other at the Broadway Mall, but I'm not sure).

Yes, so because one poster says the bus should be routed to that street, SCT must bow down to their wishes. :rolleyes: Even though Route 110 is a larger thoroughfare and offers Montauk Highway riders a connection to the S1 (and a quicker connection to the S33 at Amityville)

One poster who was n19 rider stated there were many senior citizens who lives in group home depend on n19 bus. She lost her job because of n19 cut.

S20 could conceivably run via Merrick and Carmen Mill Rd, given that there's more commercial district between 110 and CM Rd on Merrick, than on 110 for the most part until you get to Amityville proper.  Granted, I'd run it as select trips only (eastbound, serving only west-side stops, because of sidewalks/safety).  Similarly, westbound would route via Unqua Rd for connections to shopping along Sunrise Hwy, plus business district on Merrick.  Although you're not going to experience full loads just because of these areas served, those who conceivably must get to those areas will make a point of using those select trips.

Yes, I realize that was the way the N19 operated.  But by doing it select trips only, it's not going to throw that much of a monkey-wrench in the way the (idiotic, IMO) "loop" S20 operates.

• 3 weeks later...
n15/n17: As I said in the NICE changes thread, I happen to think there should be an n15x that runs up to HTC (and points north & east) via the current n17.... The proposed n15x service would still emanate from LIRR Long Beach on the south end, but the actual "express" service would begin, once you hit LIRR RVC... The only stop b/w LIRR RVC & downtown Hempstead would be the hospital itself (Mercy).... Also, the buses that would be designated as n15x's would all run to RFM (much like the n6x running past HTC to NCC).... n15 "local" service would all end at HTC....

Pinepower still lurks on this forum alright...

( 23:33 mark)

I love how it went from "....another idea that somebody else suggested...." to "....as a friend of mine suggested that...."

...in a matter of mere seconds.

This wouldn't be a point of contention if he didn't put on this front like he's above perusing transit forums.....

Lastly, I would sure hate to be friends with ole boy if that's how he refers to his friends!

n19/S20: Reroute S20 Loop to Carmen Mill Rd instead of NYS 110 because according to poster on NICE Bus, senior citizens along Carmen Mill Rd is home 

So Suffolk County should change the route to serve Nassau residents? 

One poster who was n19 rider stated there were many senior citizens who lives in group home depend on n19 bus. She lost her job because of n19 cut.

That's unfortunate Famous, but sadly not a problem that concerns Suffolk County or their route. If the person lives in Nassau then it's Nassau's problem.

Pinepower still lurks on this forum alright...

( 23:33 mark)

I love how it went from "....another idea that somebody else suggested...." to "....as a friend of mine suggested that...."

...in a matter of mere seconds.

This wouldn't be a point of contention if he didn't put on this front like he's above perusing transit forums.....

Lastly, I would sure hate to be friends with ole boy if that's how he refers to his friends!

The first 30 seconds of that video were funny. It's alright, I have plans to take care of this PinePower issue once and for all. Just give me time.

The first 30 seconds of that video were funny. It's alright, I have plans to take care of this PinePower issue once and for all. Just give me time.

he just made a 1.48 minute video about were he gets his sources but he doesn't say also he eats special K.

Hey Pinepower, I know you're reading this.... You're too great for the forums, but you're still addressing those of us on these transit forums...

Make that make sense....

Either way, you got caught..... Who the f*** refers to their friend as "somebody else"?

Even if I take you for face value, this nameless person still took ideas from off here....

You don't wanna give us attention? No, you don't wanna give us credit for any info you take from here & repackage it to your listeners as groundbreaking news... Big difference.... What you claim as immaturity isn't the reason you ran off the forums & you know it..... You can't take dissenting opinion, so you went back to posting vids on YT where there aren't near as many on that platform that really know how you get down.....

This n15x idea just one example of you persuing these forums.... Keeping you quiet? I don't care if you run your mouth on YT dude....

One of the many problems with you is the putting on this big front like the vast majority of the info you regurgitate on your videos is first hand knowledge.....

The rest of your spiel on this latest video doesn't involve me personally, so that's all I got to say to you for now.....

Yeah he definitely took a dig at you.... Take alllll the time you need.

he just made a 1.48 minute video about were he gets his sources but he doesn't say also he eats special K.

He needs to get a special job!

Two words: You're done.

And what does this guy think he's gonna do:

AsnzlRA.jpg

Unbeknownst to this littlefreak character is just how many vidcom's (video commentaries) in the past decade he's made "hating" on the rich :lol:..... So by his own logic, Pinepower should be screwing himself.....

Anyway, again, take ALL the time you need....

"b*anergangtagsonnice" for a filename for one of his FB photos... This is what we're dealing with here...

So Suffolk County should change the route to serve Nassau residents? 

That's unfortunate Famous, but sadly not a problem that concerns Suffolk County or their route. If the person lives in Nassau then it's Nassau's problem.

What's unfortunate is that kind of thinking.  If SCT took over the route portions NICE dropped, it's not really that big of a deal, operationally -- whether thinking it's "out of the way" or going to cost thousands of dollars.  Customers don't view the imaginary "border" demarcations being enforced as a valid excuse when applying some common sense is a more than satisfactory solving of the problem.

By your way of thinking, these changes should be made:

--The NICE N20, N21 should drop at Little Neck, and customers should transfer to the Q12 for Flushing service;

--The NICE N22, N22A, N26 should drop at Hillside Av/268 St, and customers should transfer to the Q43 for Jamaica;

--The NICE N24 should really drop at Jamaica Av/256 St for customers to transfer to the Q36, but it could be possible to run it down to LIRR Queens Village (under the guise of serving LIRR customers, though it's pretty pointless, but mades good P.R.), as that would be a better dumping of customers onto more lines;

--The NICE N1, N6 should drop at the Q2, Q110 Hempstead Av terminals, with transfers to Jamaica;

--The NICE N4, N4X should drop somewhere on Hook Creek Blvd for transfers to the Q5, continue to Conduit and drop for the Q85 (both locations for customers to go to Jamaica, and for Q5, Q85 customers to transfer to Green Acres Mall), which means the MTA should drop all customers at Conduit Av/Hook Creek Blvd with no service to Green Acres;

--The NICE N31, N32, N33 should end at the Nassau border, with no service to Far Rockaway.  The Q111, Q113, Q114 can still route through Nassau, since the MTA is a bigger agency and can handle the extra bit of funding necessary for those services (since NICE has so many money problems);

--The SCT S19, S20 should not use Sunrise Mall as a terminal (since it's technically in Nassau County).

Sounds pretty stupid and petty, doesn't it?  Especially since the NICE routes which venture into Queens are only half-efficient (fares only on eastbound services), and with their money problems, you'd think if NICE did actually enforce the "border" rule (as you espouse), they could actually use money more wisely for service within Nassau across all of the routes.  In fact, they are simply duplicating service along MTA routes, to an extent.  MTA offers plenty of service, and if it really came down to it, would be in more of a position to add more service to deal with the additional customer loads.

Now don't bother trotting out the "OH it's all about commuters, and how else would people connect to the subway and vice versa," because when it comes down to brass tacks -- according to your methodology -- the various agencies should be serving customers within their own backyards, and nothing more.  In some cases, it comes down to "turf wars".  The MTA and NYCDOT could play what Detroit does with SMART, and they could tell NICE that their buses, using city roads, cause traffic problems and take away their customers, and either outright not permit them to serve Jamaica or Flushing, or dictate during AM and PM Peak only.  They could put restrictions like only limited-stop service for eastbound routes, dictating only a few stops to allow customers to board at, and no stopping on westbound trips except at the Jamaica/Flushing terminals from the point where they intersect with Q-buses.

We have this setup, and it's not optimal, especially on days like today (Sunday) when SMART buses that transfer at the city lines run 30, 40, 45, 50 minute headways, and the connecting DDOT buses run half of those.  That leads to more packed buses on both sides, plus those going into the suburbs actually have quite a wait (so, in effect, two DDOT buses drop off, and customers pile onto one SMART bus heading to the suburbs).  Now apply that to MTA and NICE if the same was occurring, in enforcing the borders.  NICE would probably be oblivious, while the MTA would be running more buses to deal with the situation.

At the end of the day, one solitary SCT route traveling into "enemy territory" -- to *GASP!* serve customers -- is not going to break the bank.  In fact, why not get the few fares that can be had, as well as being a good neighbor serving customers NICE flipped off?  Those people on the Nassau-Suffolk border could care less about which bus comes that little way, especially since NICE had been doing it (with no problems until now under a "convenient" excuse).

Overthinking a problem and underperforming in a solution are hallmarks of any government agency.  Common sense (i.e. real world problem solving) costs a lot less, especially for the taxpayers footing the bills.

ROFL ...... that picture ...... sure illustrates the saying "A picture speaks a thousand words."

Looks like he eats pretty well (don't understand the Special K in that way, unless it was on sale at such a better bargain than Cap'n Crunch).  But that expression ------ totally dismisses the thought that he's a member of the Long Island MENSA chapter.

Good to know my d0xing abilities aren't as rusty as I thought (haven't really participated in stuff like that in around 4-5 years), my findings were all bang-on.

Get the popcorn ready.

Yes, I know.... and you didn't post that LIBRU notice along the overpass at LIRR Mineola....

Now shoo....

LMFAO ....... oh that snap was good

Gonna make something clear here.

Releasing someone's personal information onto here, whether it be their home address, IP address, so on and so forth is not allowed here. That will earn you a suspension and a possible ban in the future. You can go ahead and do that somewhere else, not here. Some of y'all may not like PinePowerLI, but that was uncalled for.

And seeing how the offender is a former member himself, he has been suspended for two weeks.

What's unfortunate is that kind of thinking.  If SCT took over the route portions NICE dropped, it's not really that big of a deal, operationally -- whether thinking it's "out of the way" or going to cost thousands of dollars.  Customers don't view the imaginary "border" demarcations being enforced as a valid excuse when applying some common sense is a more than satisfactory solving of the problem.

By your way of thinking, these changes should be made:

--The NICE N20, N21 should drop at Little Neck, and customers should transfer to the Q12 for Flushing service;

--The NICE N22, N22A, N26 should drop at Hillside Av/268 St, and customers should transfer to the Q43 for Jamaica;

--The NICE N24 should really drop at Jamaica Av/256 St for customers to transfer to the Q36, but it could be possible to run it down to LIRR Queens Village (under the guise of serving LIRR customers, though it's pretty pointless, but mades good P.R.), as that would be a better dumping of customers onto more lines;

--The NICE N1, N6 should drop at the Q2, Q110 Hempstead Av terminals, with transfers to Jamaica;

--The NICE N4, N4X should drop somewhere on Hook Creek Blvd for transfers to the Q5, continue to Conduit and drop for the Q85 (both locations for customers to go to Jamaica, and for Q5, Q85 customers to transfer to Green Acres Mall), which means the MTA should drop all customers at Conduit Av/Hook Creek Blvd with no service to Green Acres;

--The NICE N31, N32, N33 should end at the Nassau border, with no service to Far Rockaway.  The Q111, Q113, Q114 can still route through Nassau, since the MTA is a bigger agency and can handle the extra bit of funding necessary for those services (since NICE has so many money problems);

--The SCT S19, S20 should not use Sunrise Mall as a terminal (since it's technically in Nassau County).

Sounds pretty stupid and petty, doesn't it?  Especially since the NICE routes which venture into Queens are only half-efficient (fares only on eastbound services), and with their money problems, you'd think if NICE did actually enforce the "border" rule (as you espouse), they could actually use money more wisely for service within Nassau across all of the routes.  In fact, they are simply duplicating service along MTA routes, to an extent.  MTA offers plenty of service, and if it really came down to it, would be in more of a position to add more service to deal with the additional customer loads.

Now don't bother trotting out the "OH it's all about commuters, and how else would people connect to the subway and vice versa," because when it comes down to brass tacks -- according to your methodology -- the various agencies should be serving customers within their own backyards, and nothing more.  In some cases, it comes down to "turf wars".  The MTA and NYCDOT could play what Detroit does with SMART, and they could tell NICE that their buses, using city roads, cause traffic problems and take away their customers, and either outright not permit them to serve Jamaica or Flushing, or dictate during AM and PM Peak only.  They could put restrictions like only limited-stop service for eastbound routes, dictating only a few stops to allow customers to board at, and no stopping on westbound trips except at the Jamaica/Flushing terminals from the point where they intersect with Q-buses.

We have this setup, and it's not optimal, especially on days like today (Sunday) when SMART buses that transfer at the city lines run 30, 40, 45, 50 minute headways, and the connecting DDOT buses run half of those.  That leads to more packed buses on both sides, plus those going into the suburbs actually have quite a wait (so, in effect, two DDOT buses drop off, and customers pile onto one SMART bus heading to the suburbs).  Now apply that to MTA and NICE if the same was occurring, in enforcing the borders.  NICE would probably be oblivious, while the MTA would be running more buses to deal with the situation.

At the end of the day, one solitary SCT route traveling into "enemy territory" -- to *GASP!* serve customers -- is not going to break the bank.  In fact, why not get the few fares that can be had, as well as being a good neighbor serving customers NICE flipped off?  Those people on the Nassau-Suffolk border could care less about which bus comes that little way, especially since NICE had been doing it (with no problems until now under a "convenient" excuse).

Overthinking a problem and underperforming in a solution are hallmarks of any government agency.  Common sense (i.e. real world problem solving) costs a lot less, especially for the taxpayers footing the bills.

Thank you.

I'll be honest.... The only gripe I've ever had about the guy (Mac5289) is that he seems very reluctant to change when it comes to SCT....

I'm sorry, but although I grossly favor SCT over NICE, SCT isn't perfect as it is.... and reading a lot of his posts, that's the vibe he gives off....

Archived