Nassau Inter-County Express Proposals and Ideas

VWM

N87 - Hempstead to Jones Beach via Jerusalem Av and Wantagh Av.

Runs non stop from Hempstead to Jones Beach.

So... If its gong from hempstead, running non-stop why would it go to Wantagh? Have it run down Merrick Avenue with LTD stops and send it down the meadowbrook instead, much more direct...

Why from Hempstead though? I understand there is a lot of ridership there, but you have the N40/41 going down to Freeport that gives free transfer to the N88, and a lot of Jones Beach bus ridership comes from there. Having the bus run from Hempstead to Wantagh is a stretch which is why the original N87 was derived from Hicksville to Jones Beach. Although just extending some N73/74 runs would make more sense.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... If its gong from hempstead, running non-stop why would it go to Wantagh? Have it run down Merrick Avenue with LTD stops and send it down the meadowbrook instead, much more direct...

Just FYI Jones Beach is located in Wantagh and can be accessed using Wantagh State Parkway.

Have it run down Merrick Avenue with LTD stops and send it down the meadowbrook instead, much more direct...

Where would you send these buses on the Meadowbrook? You'll rip the roof off the buses on the parkways, the bridges are too low... However, I'm surprised the MTA or NICE hasn't looked into sending buses down 135 from a point on the northshore, get off in at the end in Seaford and it's a quick spin on Merrick Rd until you can jump on the Wantagh Parkway, no bridges down to the beach (that I can remember).

The route I would create is the n135, I thought about this a couple of weeks ago. I use 135 a lot and thought there should be a bus that ran 135 getting off at each exit, connecting with other routes and stopping at major stops like hospitals, shopping centers/malls near where the buses get on and off 135.

The route I would create is the n135, I thought about this a couple of weeks ago. I use 135 a lot and thought there should be a bus that ran 135 getting off at each exit, connecting with other routes and stopping at major stops like hospitals, shopping centers/malls near where the buses get on and off 135.

So basically Syosset LIRR to Merrick Rd in Seaford? I see what you mean, and the N81 runs parallel to what you're suggesting for part of the route. What about branching off an N81a at Old Country Rd to continue up S Oyster Bay Rd and Jackson Ave up to Syosset LIRR?

My idea for an N4 limited

Stops:

Jamaica Center

Hook Creek Blvd

Central Av

Rockaway Av

5 Corners

Park Av

Oceanside Rd

Grand Av

Henry St

Freeport Station

Wasn't that proposed a long time ago and just never happened, thus this picture?

dsc01801u.jpg

Where would you send these buses on the Meadowbrook? You'll rip the roof off the buses on the parkways, the bridges are too low... However, I'm surprised the MTA or NICE hasn't looked into sending buses down 135 from a point on the northshore, get off in at the end in Seaford and it's a quick spin on Merrick Rd until you can jump on the Wantagh Parkway, no bridges down to the beach (that I can remember).

Sorry for not being clear. I meant to send it down Merrick Ave to Merrick Road where it can get on. And the n135 idea is great, and it could almost be a local/express setup with the n87.

So basically Syosset LIRR to Merrick Rd in Seaford? I see what you mean, and the N81 runs parallel to what you're suggesting for part of the route. What about branching off an N81a at Old Country Rd to continue up S Oyster Bay Rd and Jackson Ave up to Syosset LIRR?

Sorry for not being clear. I meant to send it down Merrick Ave to Merrick Road where it can get on. And the n135 idea is great, and it could almost be a local/express setup with the n87.

I guess I never really knew about the the n87, how it would differ is that it would the n135 would be a fast, on and off 135 at each exit, bing bang boom. Ideally it would link the Port Jefferson (Syosset), Ronkonkoma, (Bethpage), and Babylon (Seaford or Wantagh) Branches of the LIRR.

Even if you ran a few express buses going from Wantagh or Seaford to Bethpage and Syossett A). you could link three major lines of the LIRR and either run this bus to Jones Beach in the summer via Wantagh Parkway, or ideally have a shuttle do this work from the Wantagh or Seaford Station. Right now the N88 is great but what about people NOT coming from the city or Babylon branch? NICE would then be attracting more Long Island customers during beach weather anywhere along two other lines! B). You'd be allowing an easy connection from people all over the island to use ISP airport! You would now be able to access ISP (via public transportation) not only from the Ronkonkoma line but from the Babylon and Port Jeff lines via the n135 or n87x whatever you want to call it. I do like the ring of of n87x do you think they could program a plane on the sign like on the city buses?

Imagine booking a cheap flight on South West at MacAuthur, arriving to the Seaford, LIRR, going Express to Bethpage, getting there in 10-15 minutes, then boarding a train and getting off at Ronkonkama 30 minutes later!

Err one problem Buses can not use meadowbrook north of freeport clearances are too low. Better idea if wantagh just extend N74/73. hempstead completely useless as it can't use the meadowbrook so just use N40 to N88 done. N87 not needed.

I guess I never really knew about the the n87, how it would differ is that it would the n135 would be a fast, on and off 135 at each exit, bing bang boom. Ideally it would link the Port Jefferson (Syosset), Ronkonkoma, (Bethpage), and Babylon (Seaford or Wantagh) Branches of the LIRR.

Even if you ran a few express buses going from Wantagh or Seaford to Bethpage and Syossett A). you could link three major lines of the LIRR and either run this bus to Jones Beach in the summer via Wantagh Parkway, or ideally have a shuttle do this work from the Wantagh or Seaford Station. Right now the N88 is great but what about people NOT coming from the city or Babylon branch? NICE would then be attracting more Long Island customers during beach weather anywhere along two other lines! B). You'd be allowing an easy connection from people all over the island to use ISP airport! You would now be able to access ISP (via public transportation) not only from the Ronkonkoma line but from the Babylon and Port Jeff lines via the n135 or n87x whatever you want to call it. I do like the ring of of n87x do you think they could program a plane on the sign like on the city buses?

Imagine booking a cheap flight on South West at MacAuthur, arriving to the Seaford, LIRR, going Express to Bethpage, getting there in 10-15 minutes, then boarding a train and getting off at Ronkonkama 30 minutes later!

That was in my long term part one proposed N44 rte 135 express extending to jones beach during summer months off season it's a freeport to WWM express via jericho and rte 135 and sunrise hwy however doesn't serve syosset but bethpage and hempstead turnpike back to the highway to sunrise. Summers most service skips freeport. This is part 1 part 2 into Huntington absorbs H4 but that is optional.

Me likey this idea. I would stick with n135 because it doesn't go to Hicksville unlike the n87.

There should be 2 Jones Beach routes, one that supplies Southern Long Island and one that supplies Northern Long Island. The n88 supplies southern Long Island because it links to the n4 (to Queens) and n19 and routes that head south to Freeport. During summers, and I've said this before, every other n73/74 should be extended to Jones Beach because that links to Hicksville which links to the n20 that serves Long Island and Queens. The creation of another route that was just Jones Beach to Hicksville (the n87) was a little too much.

Yep.. the n73 and 74 to JB has been discussed so many times, and it should be implemented.

I don't know I think Jones Beach buses should be dedicated only for Jones Beach. Imagine the sand and water on the seats and your coming back from the grocery store... Or you're going to work and you're sandwiched in a bus with people coming back from the beach, wet, sand, and sunscreen. Yuck!

I don't know I think Jones Beach buses should be dedicated only for Jones Beach. Imagine the sand and water on the seats and your coming back from the grocery store... Or you're going to work and you're sandwiched in a bus with people coming back from the beach, wet, sand, and sunscreen. Yuck!

That's true. Not even NICE or MTA have done this. I would return the n87 because it had a slightly different path the the n73/n74

That's true. Not even NICE or MTA have done this. I would return the n87 because it had a slightly different path the the n73/n74

Err that path was so slight that it doesn't matter just extend N74/73.

Hmm well that would be an issue IF N74/73 actually had ridership. People are not going to the beach at rush hour again ridership is not high enough for that to even be an issue. A man told me that they do not encourage transit use on the island enough which contributes to N74/73's low ridership. Remember N93 it had good ridership then the cuts cut down ridership to the point where only 1 person was on it.

• 2 weeks later...

My New Version of the n46/n47

It's still being worked on , but here it is: https://maps.google....1&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Mmm.... I think riders can just transfer to the n54/55. I don't think the n46 should be "extended" anywhere, because I think What you just proposed is a n19 to the Nassau Hub via East Meadow. However, I think the n46 should ditch HTC completely, because the south shore is scared sh*tless of Hempstead and no one wants to ride a bus into Hempstead, but however I would send it to RF or Mineola completely avoiding HTC, along with the N47.

No buses including the n19 should be using Sunrise Hwy to get into Sunrise Mall, the buses should CROSS Sunrise HWY and never be ON sunrise HWY, it's just a waste of time.

Well, Sunrise Hwy is only a little part of the routes that take it and the buses aren't on it for very long. While it hasn't been a lot of people, I have seen people at the Massapequa and Massapequa Park LIRR Stations board buses heading northbound and eastbound.

Well, Sunrise Hwy is only a little part of the routes that take it and the buses aren't on it for very long. While it hasn't been a lot of people, I have seen people at the Massapequa and Massapequa Park LIRR Stations board buses heading northbound and eastbound.

The reason I did this is because many riders along the n19 route, partically in the section that this new n46 operates, wants back 30 minute midday service. And the new n46 would still run weekdays, timed with the LIRR at Mineola. Besides the n19 and 46 together would operate at 30 minute headways between Bellmore and Sunrise, part of the core of its ridership. Although the wait for a bus to Suffolk will stay the same, anyone taking a bus between Bellmore and Sunrise Would have more frequent bus service. Of the n19 riders, not a lot of Freeport and Babylon riders complained about hourly n19 service.

Let me clarify buses like the n19 with no stops on Sunrise Hwy travel on Sunrise Hwy. It really is a waste of time, to wait for a light to turn onto Sunrise HWY wait for a long light to turn into the mall, wait for a light to turn back onto Sunrise Hwy, turn off of Sunrise Hwy... for what? Wouldn't it make sense just to have the just cross sunrise Hwy avoiding two additional lengthy light cycles?

Let me clarify buses like the n19 with no stops on Sunrise Hwy travel on Sunrise Hwy. It really is a waste of time, to wait for a light to turn onto Sunrise HWY wait for a long light to turn into the mall, wait for a light to turn back onto Sunrise Hwy, turn off of Sunrise Hwy... for what? Wouldn't it make sense just to have the just cross sunrise Hwy avoiding two additional lengthy light cycles?

Well people use the stops on Unqua Rd, so isn't that the best way to get to Merrick Rd?

Archived