NJ Transit passenger car Roster and Information

Eric Kreszl

We are going to use this for a roster of all NJ Transit passenger cars still in Revenue service on the railroad as a general guide to the passenger cars. Information regarding the passenger cars will be updated.

Comet I Cab Cars #5100-5134

Comet I Coaches # 5707-5751

Built by Pullman-Standard 1971 used by Erie Lackawanna under NJDOT Ownership

Comet IB Cab Cars #5155-5169

Comet IB Coaches #5220-5234

Built By St. Louis Car Company from Former NJDOT Arrow I Multiple Unit cars (MU's) and rebuilt by Morrison-Knudsen in 1987-1988

Comet II Cab Cars #5137-5145, #5147-5154

Comet II Coaches #5300-5440 #5441-5458,5460

Comet II Cab Control cars and coaches were all rebuilt and overhauled into Comet IIM Coaches to operate with Comet III/Comet 4 equipment. NO COMET IIM CAB CARS EXIST!

Comet III Cab Cars #5000-5010

Comet III Coaches #5500-5534

Comet III Cab Control Cars #5009 and 5010 were traded from Metro-North. Traces of Metro-North logos and lettering can be seen on both Cab Cars.

Comet 4 Cab Cars #5011-5031

Comet 4 Coaches #5535-5582

Comet 5 Cab Cars #6000-6199

Comet 5 Coaches #6200-6299, #6500-6699

Comet 6 Multi-Level Cab Cars #7000-7032

Comet 6 Multi-level Coaches #7200-7285, #7500-7611

Comet 6 Multi-level cars both cab and coach cars CAN NOT operate at Hoboken Terminal as doors are too low.

• 7 months later...
*Bump*

There is a multilevel cab car 7033!

Also the multilevels can now operate in and out of Hoboken as shown by the mess two weeks ago.

I gotta see photos of that.:eek: I knew they could roll around there, if the diesels can clear it the multilevels should too. They were specifically designed to fit the smallest loading gauge in (NJT) territory which is the east river tunnels to sunnyside yard.

Speaking of the mess the other day, i saw the catenary repair vehicle at NYP, and on saturday i saw at least 4 trains sitting outside the tunnel in nj lined up with a work vehicle and amtk people. 2 were amfleet consists, and 2 were (NJT). It appeared they were in one tunnel mode likely going back to do a more thorough repair & inspection.

When will the next round of multilevels be coming in & what is their number series?

- A

I gotta see photos of that.:eek: I knew they could roll around there, if the diesels can clear it the multilevels should too. They were specifically designed to fit the smallest loading gauge in (NJT) territory which is the east river tunnels to sunnyside yard.

Speaking of the mess the other day, i saw the catenary repair vehicle at NYP, and on saturday i saw at least 4 trains sitting outside the tunnel in nj lined up with a work vehicle and amtk people. 2 were amfleet consists, and 2 were (NJT). It appeared they were in one tunnel mode likely going back to do a more thorough repair & inspection.

When will the next round of multilevels be coming in & what is their number series?

- A

Here are some photos of the Multi-Levels at Hoboken.

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1480251

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1480252

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1480253

I know that I have posted these photos elsewhere on this (NJT) forum.

Eric

Nice photos (E)! Very interesting to see them at a low platform across from comet 5!!:eek:

The miltilevels are not "comet 6", and they can't have middle doors as there is nowhere to put it.....

- A

The Multi-level cars are considered Comet 6 cars. The number of doors on the car have no bearing on the fact either.

Eric

There are no Comet 6's they are Multilevels, COMETS are single level cars, Eric and I talked about this a few hours ago on the phone. Comets are Single level cars.

Indeed. B)

Comets and shoreliners are akin to arrow 3 and silverliner 3. Similar, related, but not identical. The multilevels are a totally unique design in many aspects from end + quarter point doors, the size of the mezzanine, the very low profile form factor compared to bilevels other RR's use. The only analogue i can think of which are not similar or related are the LIRR bilevels. They only have quarterpoint doors, have a very small mezzanine area etc etc.

I don't expect most people to end up calling them multilevels, but hey, at least people know they exist & like them! B)

- A

Indeed. B)

Comets and shoreliners are akin to arrow 3 and silverliner 3. Similar, related, but not identical. The multilevels are a totally unique design in many aspects from end + quarter point doors, the size of the mezzanine, the very low profile form factor compared to bilevels other RR's use. The only analogue i can think of which are not similar or related are the LIRR bilevels. They only have quarterpoint doors, have a very small mezzanine area etc etc.

I don't expect most people to end up calling them multilevels, but hey, at least people know they exist & like them! B)

- A

Even though they technically are Bi-Level cars I refer to them as Multi-Levels to distinguish them from other Bi-level cars operated by other commuter rail transit agencies.

Eric

Well mostly because the mezzanine is where the doors are, vs a "double deck" where the doors are on the bottom.

BiLevelSideViewInterior.GIF

- A

That's a diagram of the Standard Bombardier Bi-Level car. Not the NJ Transit Version. The NJ Transit version of course has end doors for both high level and low level platforms.

Eric

It does not matter the reason behind it, what ever they are called by Bombradier and Transit is all that matters. Technically speaking those have Mulitlevels as well but they are know as Bilevels lets leave it at that.

Eric, did you list the ACES cars as part of the Multilevels? They are in the 29 series I believe.

They are groovy shiny fun to ride in coaches, how bout that? :cool:

What is the status of comet 3 cab cars?

- A

The Comet III Cab Control Cars once the top of the Line for NJ Transit's Electric ALP-44 consists now operate mostly on the Diesel trains out of Hoboken Terminal but every now and then can be seen on a ALP-44 or ALP-46 electric consist on the NJT system.

Eric

There are Comet III's mixed in a couple of ALP sets. Most of them however stay down on the Bay Head Trains from recent observations.

Most of the other NJ Transit diesel trains will have either comet 4 or Comet 5 Cab Control Cars on them. the only exception to this rule right now is one :rvl:PL42AC consist that has 5 or 6 Multi-level cars on them.

Eric

Archived