NJ Transit passenger car Roster and Information

Eric Kreszl

I'm still surprised there is not Multilevel diesel set for the :mb: since they now know that the ML's can fit in Hoboken. If not the :mb: maybe the :mbl: where they could be used on those WORM trains which always seem to be full.

The multi-level trains can be accommodated only on certain platforms at Hoboken Terminal. Also you have to remember that Most of the diesel routes out of Hoboken Terminal do not have enough ridership to even bother with Multi-level equipment, especially when there is a fleet of Metro-North/NJ Transit passenger cars available for exclusive use on NJ Transit's Hoboken Division and with more Multi-Level equipment arriving for NJ Transit's Electrified routes all the other NJ Transit Passenger cars Comet 5, Comet 4, and Comet III can now be used on the diesel trains.

Eric

They are still waiting for 100 more multilevels to be delivered. Last i heard they would start being dropped off at MMC starting next week if the freight consist they are hooked to is running on schedule. I will keep my peepers peeled, because the last time i saw deliveries they were mid january, and one of the 3 cars was for ACES. Was hooked to CSX loco.

The hoboken terminal issue is something totally different. Eventually the trainshed part will have to be replaced, and it will likely be all most identical, you could simply raise it a foot or 16 inches, but keep the historic look and see what of the original you can preserve while cleaning stuff up. Also you could rebuild the platforms while you're at it.

I am still curious as to what will be next for single level orders....

- A

All NJ Transit Multi-Level Cab Control Cars are numbered in the 7000 series. I do not think they are any 7600 series Cab Control Cars.

Eric

Maybe my imagination is invading my memory. I do see your point though, every cab car i've seen is 70xx now that i'm thinking of it. I trust your input on the topic 100%. :tup:

Are there going to be any more cab cars before they are done delivery?

- A

Maybe my imagination is invading my memory. I do see your point though, every cab car i've seen is 70xx now that i'm thinking of it. I trust your input on the topic 100%. :tup:

Are there going to be any more cab cars before they are done delivery?

- A

I wouldn't know at this point.

Eric

I would assume they would. I mean, what is the ideal ratio? How many comet 3 4 and 5 are cab cars vs trailer? I have seen a large number of comet 4 cars compared to comet 3 cars recently, some in cab position, others hooked to the loco facing the rest of the consist. Obviously the comet 4 and 5 and multilevel cab cars are put backwards in pull mode to allow people to use the last car at the end to board, but i haven not seen any comet 5 cab cars doing that.

- A

Highest cab I know of is 7033, but I'm not sure at this point if there are anymore on the way. I do know that alot of the first batch have gone out to Bombardier for some modifications that were thought of later. I personally saw a couple heading back to Canada when I took a trip on the Adirondack back in January, there were also so unmarked multilevels on flat cars.

Highest cab I know of is 7033, but I'm not sure at this point if there are anymore on the way. I do know that alot of the first batch have gone out to Bombardier for some modifications that were thought of later. I personally saw a couple heading back to Canada when I took a trip on the Adirondack back in January, there were also so unmarked multilevels on flat cars.

I believe that is due to yes some modifications, namely a pad for protecting heads on the bottom set of stairs. I think they also may be changing the brake lines because they tend to hang low. Was on a multilevel set not too long ago that had a dragging defect alert, we stopped for 10 minutes while the crew looked for whatever it was.

- A

• 2 months later...
Well boys to kill this BS debate of whether to MLV cars can fit into HOB or not....THEY CAN!!!! They are now running on the Main/Bergen Line.

Your about a month late...they have been running in there since the last CI set was retired.

I have photos of them from march 25 when i also got a 5 car comet 1 consist.

Interestingly enough, the multilevels are not that much taller than the comets.

People who often mistakenly call them bilevels don't realize that bilevel cars have doors on the lower level, whereas the multilevels have them on the mezzanine. This allows the 2 decks to be shorter and constructed differently to save vertical space. Also this allows greater seating capacity on the upper and lower levels, while still having both seating for 10 and standing room in the mezzanine areas, or seating for 2 and bike/wheelchair area where they have the restrooms.

The reason why the multilevels can't fit on every track is because of the height of the wire under some areas of the canopy. Since (NJT) is reconstructing the entire trainshed, there is a possibility that this could be fixed.

- A

Nah, and there doesn't need to be, the end doors have stairs.

For (NJT) to make a platform high level at hoboken, a lot of stuff would have to be done, this stuff would take 2 tracks out of commission, because it can't be track 1, and the rest share a platform. I believe they currently have a wheelchair lift, but then again not all the hoboken division stations have high level platforms, all most making it a moot point. However, even with those considerations they will have to do something at some point, as they are slowly bringing their stations up to ADA spec. I think they should start with with the higher numbered tracks and work down.

- A

Nah, and there doesn't need to be, the end doors have stairs.

For (NJT) to make a platform high level at hoboken, a lot of stuff would have to be done, this stuff would take 2 tracks out of commission, because it can't be track 1, and the rest share a platform. I believe they currently have a wheelchair lift, but then again not all the hoboken division stations have high level platforms, all most making it a moot point. However, even with those considerations they will have to do something at some point, as they are slowly bringing their stations up to ADA spec. I think they should start with with the higher numbered tracks and work down.

- A

I do not personally think NJ Transit would want to bother converting Hoboken Terminal to high level Platforms for several reasons.

1. Its an historical railroad terminal. If Hoboken was to be converted to a high level platform station it would have been done long ago.

2. You have to remember that there is a lot of work that gets performed at Hoboken Terminal by NJ Transit employees every day and night. If Hoboken Terminal was high level platform Terminal NJ Transit employees would have a very difficult time getting there work done because it would make total access to the trains for serviceing purposes more difficult.

Eric

Archived