NJ Transit passenger car Roster and Information

Eric Kreszl

I do not personally think NJ Transit would want to bother converting Hoboken Terminal to high level Platforms for several reasons.

1. Its an historical railroad terminal. If Hoboken was to be converted to a high level platform station it would have been done long ago.

2. You have to remember that there is a lot of work that gets performed at Hoboken Terminal by NJ Transit employees every day and night. If Hoboken Terminal was high level platform Terminal NJ Transit employees would have a very difficult time getting there work done because it would make total access to the trains for serviceing purposes more difficult.

Eric

Excellent points!!!

How many MLV are left to be delivered?

- A

Excellent points!!!

How many MLV are left to be delivered?

- A

The NJ Transit Multi-Level passenger car roster as of 4/ 4/2009

Multi-Level Cab Control Car #7000-7075

Multi-Level Coach Cars 7200 # Series #7200-7320

Multi-Level Coach Cars 7500# Series #7500-7750

#7200 Series are equipped with restrooms

#7500 Series are not equipped with restrooms.

Eric

Servicing has nothing to do with why Hoboken is low level still. Hoboken is low level because its on the historical register. Is servicing was a concern, Washington Union Station and other terminals would still be low level.

Servicing has nothing to do with why Hoboken is low level still. Hoboken is low level because its on the historical register. Is servicing was a concern, Washington Union Station and other terminals would still be low level.

I think the problem comes from the trainshed. How do you make them high level & not weird up the columns?

Anyways that's a topic for another thread.:cool:

Have the comet 4's been rebuilt yet, if so what did they do, if not when.

How many comet 2, 3, and 4 cab cars are there exactly?

- A

There are no Comet II cabs left, they were all rebuilt into coaches. There were 11 but now 9 Comet III cabs. 5000-5008. Comet IV cabs are 5011-5031 making for 20 cabs. The Comet IV's have not been rebuilt.

BTW the Trainshed is on the historic register as well meaning. Putting HLP's in would ruin that. but thats OT:).

Are the comet 4's modern enough to stave off a rebuild/refresh for at least a few more years?

What about PEI integration? In theory couldn't comet v and mlv be hooked together in rev service?

- A

PEI is the most annoying thing ever! Its just another way for the passengers to piss off the crew. Half the time the thing goes off for stupid things. OK now that I got that out. :)

In theory yes(and god willingly will never happen) a Comet can be coupled to a ML in revenue service. If this happens the PEI does not work I was told.

The Comet IV's have the same interior as the Comet II's so they are fine. The next cars that need an overhaul or the Comet III's.

Nah, I don't think they really want to mix and match. It really is easier keeping the Multilevels together especially since its easier when inspection time comes around, also its easier when assigning crew to a train to keep things all single or multilevel. I'm not saying we won't see it but, ideally they won't. Also I would hate to be in the car in front of a ML if an incident were to occur involving telescoping. The weight of a ML along with the force of the derailment or accidnet would definitely not make for a pretty result.

I saw a cross section of the mezzanine area, it looks pretty robust in that respect. The flat area inside (between the vestibule & stair) houses the truck underneath. Under the stairs leading up is battery, and behind the seat next to the stairs leading down is battery Below the bottom stairs is the air tank and brake systems as well as some electrical stuff. The mezzanine is basically a very re-enforced tube, mainly because it serves to both support the car on the truck, and connect to the next car or locomotive. The bi-levels of the metrolink and so on do not have this "tube" design, and are prone to telescoping.

The trusses that make up the ceiling of the mezzanine support the HVAC unit, and conduits for door control and lighting. The large "deep" area between the vestibule and quarter doors takes all the between-car connections and brings them up to the upper area, i'm sure you've seen the doors to access these areas, both right next to the quarter point doors next to the stairs, and on the inclined surface that comprises the ceiling of the stairwell area.

The huge advantage of these mlv, is that while being taller in total under to roof than a single level, they are not subject to the same problems the more open and boxy bilevels are.

In short, they would be no better or worse off & were actually designed from day 1 to interface with the comet v, even though it was never the original intention to do so in rev ops. :cool:

- A

I was thinking more about the crash posts on a Comet II or IV.

Oh, ya, the singles would have to be at one end or the other, not in the middle. Don't wanna show up with an accordion & flat people. :confused:

- A

In fact, you'd really only want them trailing, never leading in cab operation, or behind loco in pull operation. I could see alp-45a being assigned 10 multilevels and 4 singles in pull mode.

You know the more i think about the possibilities that (NJT) is creating (or trying to) the more i have to admire their efforts. As soon as funding from the ARRA became available they were like "oh hai, we haver moar planz" all aboard tks much". :cool:

Just thought of this... You should join DVARP for west of delaware river info, it's only 10 bucks for a year. They have a cool newsletter, and are the masterminds behind that crazy map i've posted a few times.

I wonder if :septa: will ever get secondhand (NJT) MLV..... :eek:

- A

Thanks. I'll look into joining DVARP, that would be a great way to keep up to date on :septa: indeed.:cool:

I don't think SEPTA will get ML's. For their routes they seem more oriented on EMU's. They only use the PP's during rush hour. So buying multilevels and power for them would be useless since they would sit the weekend and half the day.

Thanks. I'll look into joining DVARP, that would be a great way to keep up to date on :septa: indeed.:cool:

I don't think SEPTA will get ML's. For their routes they seem more oriented on EMU's. They only use the PP's during rush hour. So buying multilevels and power for them would be useless since they would sit the weekend and half the day.

Too true. You'd need service to the ABE and scranton area to warrant multilevels at all.

Where do the ACES mlv's sit? Are they ever stored at philly or along the :ac:?

- A

SEPTA doesn't deserve the MLVs. All they do is complain about slow accelerations and provide the least maintenance to all their trains.

I don't know how a transit agency can't deserve something...:confused:

If you have not realized SEPTA is more oriented on the Phillly area and not Regional Rail, they do it because an agency like NJT was not set up after Conrail pulled out.

Bit off topic, but to clear it up, PA governor & county reps etc are going to try and fix the philadelphia-centric nature of :septa:, however it would take billions, maybe 20 billion dollars or more to re-organize the state's rail transportation structure, have state run lines to supplement amtrak service especially between harrisburg & pittsburgh. NJ had it easy, with terminals to pick from, clearly used lines from 4 different railroads. PA is different, and much larger geographically. Philadelphia 30th is too small to be a major terminal for much more than what it does now, it was designed to serve through trains primarily. So that leaves us with needing a real terminal in pittsburgh, and having that act a a terminal for western operations, harrisburg for some eastern and most central operations, and Philadelphia for current service & the remaining eastern operations. Electrification of the keystone corridor is vital to all of this, hence the 20+ billion possible pricetag (not to mention union stuff with current :septa:), and only then will PA not only deserve (i think we do now :cool:) MLV and other advanced stuff, but will require it to provide sufficient service.

(NJT) and how it uses pax cars will serve as an example to build on to make a plan for PA.

Back on topic. I'm going tomorrow & i will note any differences i see hear or feel between the different orders if i catch a mlv consist, as i've noticed the worked upon cabs are much quieter and smoother riding than before, or compared to some of the middle cars. :tup:

- A

Haha were getting way off topic talking about :septa:. But I have some more lol. SEPTA just needs to expand to a few more counties. PA does not need a state ran agency like NJT but rather something along the lines of TRI-RAIL in Florida where select counties are picking up the tab. PA however does need another train to PITT and maybe time for Amtrak to bring back the Broadway Limited/Three Rivers to CHI.

To keep things on topic, I plan to photograph the evening :rvl: rush tomorrow so I'll keep a tab on how many trains are now Multilevel sets. Its been on the rise lately.

Haha were getting way off topic talking about :septa:. But I have some more lol. SEPTA just needs to expand to a few more counties. PA does not need a state ran agency like NJT but rather something along the lines of TRI-RAIL in Florida where select counties are picking up the tab. PA however does need another train to PITT and maybe time for Amtrak to bring back the Broadway Limited/Three Rivers to CHI.

To keep things on topic, I plan to photograph the evening :rvl: rush tomorrow so I'll keep a tab on how many trains are now Multilevel sets. Its been on the rise lately.

Indeed. I've been living here for my whole life (save a few months in LI), and i can tell you the people here need to be told what to do vs come up with their own ideas. If harrisburg puts a vote on the ballot to do this it will happen, but only then. Also the media needs to chime in in favor. Ok no more talk of :septa: for now! ;)

As far as the :rvl: sets, i've seen 2 single sets and a mlv normally waiting to pull into track 5 at hudson yard from PATH around 5:30-6 pm.

- A

Archived