NJ Transit passenger car Roster and Information

Eric Kreszl

When were the trenton transit center audio bits added to the comet v and mlv's? Some don't have them yet.

Also, i saw a multilevel train on track 6 at hoboken. Got 2 photos as it pulled out on a rev move. Dunno what line it was headed to or anything though.

Also, i saw 4902 uncouple & leave 5 cars parked on i think track 3. I also saw a comet 3 and 4 cab car hooked together by the loco, but the actual operational cab car was comet 5.

Lot of interesting stuff today at the hob. :cool:

- A

When were the trenton transit center audio bits added to the comet v and mlv's? Some don't have them yet.

Also, i saw a multilevel train on track 6 at hoboken. Got 2 photos as it pulled out on a rev move. Dunno what line it was headed to or anything though.

Also, i saw 4902 uncouple & leave 5 cars parked on i think track 3. I also saw a comet 3 and 4 cab car hooked together by the loco, but the actual operational cab car was comet 5.

Lot of interesting stuff today at the hob. :cool:

- A

The Muti-level consist goes from Hoboken to Waldwick NJ and back. It has been operating out of Hoboken for a while now.

There are times when NJ Transit will take a locomotive out of the terminal and leave the passenger cars behind.

Eric

Yea, it was just too weird seeing 2 full length multilevel trains sitting at hoboken in one day within 10 minutes of one another. The one on track 6 pulled out, the one on track 16 was pulling in.

As far as leaving the cars, i've seen 4 sitting on track 1 & a cat backed up eventually to hook up to them, that train later moved out on a port jervis run.

Also & a bit off topic, i dunno bout you guys, but i find it hilarious when i see them randomly moving locos around the yard, sometimes 5-6 of them hooked together, other times just 1 unit. The hood units are cool, but the cab units.... heh... :cool::)

- A

Yea, it was just too weird seeing 2 full length multilevel trains sitting at hoboken in one day within 10 minutes of one another. The one on track 6 pulled out, the one on track 16 was pulling in.

As far as leaving the cars, i've seen 4 sitting on track 1 & a cat backed up eventually to hook up to them, that train later moved out on a port jervis run.

Also & a bit off topic, i dunno bout you guys, but i find it hilarious when i see them randomly moving locos around the yard, sometimes 5-6 of them hooked together, other times just 1 unit. The hood units are cool, but the cab units.... heh... :cool::)

- A

The reason for why they do this is so that the locomotives can be moved on to the fueling pad or to be inspected. Here are some photos I have taken of these weird moves.

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1547893

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1547875

Eric

• 4 months later...
Nice photos.

So, when will the MLV order be done? Are they going to order even moar?

- A

should be done by the end of the year, or early january. and no, no new passenger rolling stock for now (seeing as the EMU order dissapeared into thin air, ie, no new news for a while.)

should be done by the end of the year, or early january. and no, no new passenger rolling stock for now (seeing as the EMU order dissapeared into thin air, ie, no new news for a while.)

I think they may shoehorn in MU fleet replacement in the 2011 or 2012 budget depending on inflation, fare income, union contracts, and status of the cutoff, philipsburg & other expansion projects. Got the dual modes coming in & the ALP-46a's as well.... If ARC is on schedule & on budget by that time, there's a good chance (NJT) will be able to do a total swap out before the arrows start running ragged. By the time ARC is done they will be nearly pushing 50 years old, a long-arsed lifespan for commuter equipment.

- A

I guess that another option of the MLVs would wipe out the remaining MUs. After all, the top priority presently is no longer speed as capacity is more of an issue especially on the NEC. I've been seeing a lot of Comet II consists with Comet IV cabs lately along the NEC when they have single level push-pulls perhaps because of capacity problems.

True, but reverse peak & other moves still need the flexibility of MU trains, especially locals on the :nec:. They need to stop using the arrows on express trains, save them for the local runs. I've been on many 6 car arrow trains from trenton, and a few from newark, often they will send 2 6 car arrow sets down, pair them up at morrisville into a 12 car set, send it back up to nyp for peak evening run. It was cool this one time, i was sitting there at trenton for about an hour, got off a 6 car train, 10 car comet went in behind that. then another 6 car arrow set, then right before i leave, the second train's rear cab comes in first leading the train i came in on hooked into a 12 car set... i ask bout it & conductor says "yea, this one's going back to new york for the first peak hour trenton train". Normally equipment can go between 3 or 4 endpoints before a crew change, nyp to amboy, to new york to long branch, to new york to dover, to new york to jersey ave, but sometimes you deadhead a train to reset the starting point where it's needed most. I think like 5 deadhead trains have become live on the :nec: since (NJT) took over hourly service from amtk.

- A

I think that NJT mostly anticipates less passengers for express trains than local trains as there are less stations. Since the Arrows accelerate faster, NJT probably exclusively uses them to save time.

Well, you would have to shuffle all the equipment around to put all the MU on local runs on the :nec:, :me:, :njc:, they have too many to only use on locals, so yea not very convenient for them anyways. Express trains i've experienced are typically hugely crowded, and when they are short on equipment a morning train from trenton being 6 or 7 comets express can turn standing room only, whereas locals can get full, but not necessarily totally packed.

I think for now as new equipment is coming into service little by little they are adjusting which equipment goes where & how much, and sometimes it makes sense to send 5 MLV on a move, and sometimes 7 comet, even though it's not the most ideal for that time of day & the stops its making. Got to wait a few years when -all- of the ordered stuff is delivered to get it down pat.

- A

• 2 weeks later...

Comet 2b 5395 seems to have hvac issues, it's the only car on the 3:16 from Newark today that isn't fresh and ambient, bit warm and stuffy. Are there any other specific cars with hvac issues? If so please list car number, and date(s) riding in them.

Also I was thinking it would be interesting to have a list of issues, flat spots, hvac, very dirty etc for each car, only stuff that really stands out. Not sure if t should go here or its own thread.

- A

Comet 2b 5395 seems to have hvac issues, it's the only car on the 3:16 from Newark today that isn't fresh and ambient, bit warm and stuffy. Are there any other specific cars with hvac issues? If so please list car number, and date(s) riding in them.

Also I was thinking it would be interesting to have a list of issues, flat spots, hvac, very dirty etc for each car, only stuff that really stands out. Not sure if t should go here or its own thread.

- A

Thanks for the update! I've spotted a lot of Comet IVs with flat wheels along the NEC the other day and on the NJCL through friends' videos, but couldn't get their car numbers.

Thanks for the update! I've spotted a lot of Comet IVs with flat wheels along the NEC the other day and on the NJCL through friends' videos, but couldn't get their car numbers.

When they move them in the yard(s) if they don't release the brakes all the way they can get flat, especially if they move them around a lot.

- A

• 2 months later...
How current is this listing? I was wondering which variant(s) of the Arrow MU's are still in service, but this list doesn't identify them by that nomenclature.

:me:

this is as current as it gets.

the variants of the Arrow III MU's only specify whether they are single cars or married pairs.

There only is one variant of Arrow out there the Arrow III, the II's were retired a while ago.

That's the answer I was looking for.

Last summer I used the NEC line several times from Metropark to NYP when attending Yankee games. Returning to Metropark after the game got me on my way back to Virginia much quicker than waiting through stadium traffic. Depending on which train I caught, it was either a bi-level consist or Arrow III MU's. The difference seemed to be whether the train ran express or local from MET to NYP. Is this a typical arrangement? Weekend setup?

That's the answer I was looking for.

Last summer I used the NEC line several times from Metropark to NYP when attending Yankee games. Returning to Metropark after the game got me on my way back to Virginia much quicker than waiting through stadium traffic. Depending on which train I caught, it was either a bi-level consist or Arrow III MU's. The difference seemed to be whether the train ran express or local from MET to NYP. Is this a typical arrangement? Weekend setup?

Your welcome, and yes that is the typical arrangement I believe now though Multilevel cars do both as well as the Arrows still showing up. During the midday the Comet sets will also fill in.

Archived