My trip to London: July 2012

VWM

Hope you had a nice trip! Cool pics and vids!

Oh it was (minus jetlag)

I suppose you left just in time to miss the Olympics...

My mom took me and everything was just starting to get expensive.... we didnt want to pay a ton of money for plane tickets....

Oh it was (minus jetlag)

My mom took me and everything was just starting to get expensive.... we didnt want to pay a ton of money for plane tickets....

Just starting huh... :lol: I hope she tried to get as much things in US $ as possible. Even now the pound is strong compared to the US $.

My brother wouldn't stop asking for Legos we could get for half the price in America. We stayed w/ my moms friend so no hotel fees for us, so we were able to spend more :D

My brother wouldn't stop asking for Legos we could get for half the price in America. We stayed w/ my moms friend so no hotel fees for us, so we were able to spend more :D

LOL... Well he was smart to ask for them in Europe, since Legos are Danish, so yeah, you're right... Much cheaper there in Europe... As for lodging, that's great and plus you got to experience life living in a flat (more than likely) if you stayed in London...

No... They're not cheaper in London.... that's the thing....

Oops... I misread that... Yes, if you were paying in US $ then yes it would be more expensive for you... I was thinking maybe you got a deal in the UK or something. It can vary with some items and the location as well, assuming you were in London... For example I remember seeing Alpha Bits cereal in Florence (Italy)... It was like a 6,00 € a box... With the exchange rate at the time it would've cost me almost $8.50. The thing is though, I'd sometimes travel say 20 minutes outside of Florence and would be amazed at how cheaper the prices were... Almost half in some cases.

I seriously have to get over my phobia of flying. London and France (so I can practice my French I learned in High School lol) are two Western countries I really want to visit.

LOL... Hey listen the first time I flew the plane almost crashed. I had a flight on Delta out of JFK to Rome, then another connection at Fiumicino from Rome to Florence. The Delta flight was the longest part of the trip (probably about 5 - 6 hours or so) and actually went smoothly, even though I missed my original connection because of a snow storm, so I had to fly out the next day. Anywho, I had this cool Italian guy next to me and we spoke in Italian about the old country and such, wished each other well and I was on my way to make the next connection (Alitalia). It was the worst flight I've ever had.... A 1 hour flight turned into a nightmare. The plane had turbulance from the start and it was snowing and raining in Tuscany (which hardly ever happens, the snow that is) so we had to make an emergency landing in Pisa. I laughed so hard, as did the other dudes on the plane and I had this Italian lady saying prayers next to me. Looking back on it I kept thinking why can't I stop laughing, but it was nervousness. We get off of the plane and I seriously wanted to kiss the ground. So here I am for the first time in Italy damn there stranded because they claimed they were going to have another flight for us, but I spoke with some other Italians that were on the flight with me and we decided to just take a train to Florence. Thank God I spoke Italian or I would've been royally screwed. Coming back from Europe was a nightmare as well, so all I can say is hopefully you'll have better luck than I've had flying.

The two worst airlines IMO are Lufthansa and Alitalia. I had to use them coming back to the States as well and thanks to them I missed my connection in Frankfurt and had to catch a flight the next day. Alitalia is overpriced and clueless and Lufthansa is just a bunch of morons, though I did find the food and booze to be rather acceptable.

Archived