I hear they're using old cars for reefs...

zfeezy

I hear they're using old cars for reefs, but I was wondering if anyone knew if they're selling any out of service cars? I guess it probably sounds silly, but I'm looking to buy ...! Anyone know where/how to find out more info? Many thanks!

Um dude they have been reefing cars since 2001!!

And you would have to e mail the MTA if you want to buy an retired subway car from them.

I want to buy a few old subway and buses myself. I would buy an R33ML, CI R42, and an phase II R32, R110B. And for buses an GMC RTS and an MCI classic.

And an ex LIB GM fishbowl which are sitting around doing nothing out in LI somewhere....

But your best bet is to E mail the MTA. They will answer your E mail, i E mailed them an question about putting a "certain" train in the museum and they replyed back.

Ah! Well, I guess I'm a little behind B)

Many thanks for the insight, I'll definitely start emailing. We'd love to get our hands on any R32s ... but truth be told, anything would suffice.

Thanks again for the quick response!

I hear they're using old cars for reefs, but I was wondering if anyone knew if they're selling any out of service cars? I guess it probably sounds silly, but I'm looking to buy ...! Anyone know where/how to find out more info? Many thanks!

Hello and welcome. They usually sell off old obsolete buses and parts publicly on their website, but I can't say that I ever seen any old subway cars for sale. I could be wrong. You can try and contact their surplus sales department here and find out. Good luck.

Hell, you'll need lots of space, money, and connections.

Since he's asking about it most likely he probably has all three and then some.

wait you mean buy a real or model train

Yes, he means an actual real subway car(s).

Hi again all. Harry's right in the assumption that I am indeed looking for an actual car (or two!) versus a model. I wish I had "all three and then some" ... fortunately I do have the space and money (theoretically, someone else's money ... though I have no real idea how much one of these would go for -- any guesstimates y'all?), but I guess I'm severely lacking in the connections part. So, two of three ;)

The emails haven't been answered yet Harry, but I'll keep trying. You happen to know anyone in particular that I might try?

N-Trizzy, your dad have any luck?

Hi again all. Harry's right in the assumption that I am indeed looking for an actual car (or two!) versus a model. I wish I had "all three and then some" ... fortunately I do have the space and money (theoretically, someone else's money ... though I have no real idea how much one of these would go for -- any guesstimates y'all?), but I guess I'm severely lacking in the connections part. So, two of three ;)

The emails haven't been answered yet Harry, but I'll keep trying. You happen to know anyone in particular that I might try?

N-Trizzy, your dad have any luck?

Well it might take a few weeks but we did get notification MTA got our letter. Now for a reply. I'm also guessing since the MTA want to get rid of the R32s so bad they might gave them away for around 25K or maybe less!!

Your best bet would have to be contacting the (MTA) directly. You might want to send multiple emails, it might help. Good luck in getting the cars.

Hi everyone, quick update: apparently the MTA isn't parting with with any cars to private buyers these days because of the remaining asbestos liability. Seems my hopes are dashed.

:)

That said, if anyone knows of any cars out there in the wild (really, any car, in any condition), I'd love to make an offer to take it off their hands (with a healthy finders fee, of course). I hate to sound desperate, but I kind of am.

N-Trizzy, any update on your end?

Thanks again all.

Hi everyone, quick update: apparently the MTA isn't parting with with any cars to private buyers these days because of the remaining asbestos liability. Seems my hopes are dashed.

:)

That said, if anyone knows of any cars out there in the wild (really, any car, in any condition), I'd love to make an offer to take it off their hands (with a healthy finders fee, of course). I hate to sound desperate, but I kind of am.

Thanks again all.

Even with the asbestos libility,you won't be able to buy a subway car if ya don't have the space and the money.you don't have those,you won't be getting a car.

:P

Thanks again all.

Talk to the folks at Branford perhaps, don't know if they have barn space if that's what you're looking for (especially if you're looking at an R40 slant you're talking about purchasing a married pair), but they'd probably be able to give you some "car procurement" advice...maybe there's some sort of waiver you could sign, I don't know but you should Talk to the folks at Branford and see if they have any useful Info for you before you respond to MTA...

Archived