MTA Might Evaluate Integrated Fares for Subways, Bike Sharing

In the near future, subway riders may be able to use their fare cards to check out a bike from hundreds of nearby docking stations.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority said it is open to evaluating ways to integrate fare payment with the city's bike share program as it moves toward a wireless, smart card-based system by 2015, agency spokesman Aaron Donovan said in a recent interview.

The smart card will be based on an open payment system that will allow customers to simply tap and go at a turnstile with their own credit or debit cards.

The city's bike share program -- which promises to put 10,000 bikes that can be checked out on the streets in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens -- is expected to begin rolling out this summer. Officials have said the program will likely begin in early August.

Department of Transportation spokesman Nicholas Mosquera said that in other cities, up to 50 percent of bike share trips are connections to other modes of transit.

But he said while he expects to see the same here, the DOT is currently not working on fare payment integration at this time. "We look forward to exploring it in the future," Mosquera said.

The Paris Region Transit Authority currently issues a tap-and-go fare card called Navigo that makes it possible to pay for the city's Vélib’ bike share system as well as other means of transportation.

"Users can then just show up at any station and take out a bike from a docking station without having to go through any other process: you simply select a bike, swipe your card over the card reader and wait for the green light and signal to release your bike," said Albert Asséra-Directeur, strategy and marketing director for JC Decaux in Paris.

Read the Rest:

http://www.gothamgazette.com/index.php/topics/transportation/1413-mta-bikes-subways

Alot of NY'ers who may be more poor and not exactly be able to pay for MTA fares may use the bikes more than those who Mr. Bloomberg supposedly intended to have those bikes in place for. Such as those NY'ers who are dependant on bikes to either commute to work or to actually perform their jobs such as messengers or persons doing deliveries.

The uglier side of the financial situation of NYC. Well I chose not to ignore it hence the post.

The point is I see mainly NY's bike riding is to work NOT because they are trying to stay fit or just to rally for Earth Friendly laws but because they can barely afford the fares to commute.

Facts? Just open up your eyes and see what ppl do for a living each each day..... they cannot afford to pay up for metrocards to get to where they have to go....

• 3 months later...

I think it will work, and I think its a great idea to integrate the two. Perhaps a good way would be to (if possible) put the RFID chips on the same card back to back. I think the main issue would be customer's information either being erased or stolen from those RFID thieves out there.

Archived