Staten Island Bus Proposal Thread 2012-2013

FamousNYLover

That's actually not a bad idea, but the stop on Grandview and Forest does get a lot of people from what I've seen.

Believe me, I know it does, but I don't think it's worth the extra time (and risk of delay) it takes to make the extra turns just to save them the trouble of walking 1 (short) block. If they can walk the extra block for the S40, they can do it for the S46. And aside from that, it makes it easier in case there's a delay on one of the routes, riders might have the option of using the other one (instead of having to run back and forth between Grandview Avenue and South Avenue)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

while you chat I complete my ptoposals then off to signatures and representatives

Hope we don't end up with buses to Cheesequake like last time.

No wonder folks don't use the local buses on the South Shore... Population is growing down there, yet nothing but cuts proposed for the South Shore.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not the one who proposed cutting the S74, and actually "stood by it".

And by the way, did I quote you when I made that post??

Because you were complaining that everybody was proposing cuts to the South Shore and that's why they don't use the local buses, and meanwhile you proposed a cut even bigger than anything anybody proposed for the South Shore.

The S74. I just said it in Post #228. <_< yourself.

Oh please... If anything I discussed FAREBEATING for any service cuts, not just because and while farebeating is a problem across the island, it is more so a problem on the North Shore where the projects are, so I would cut S74 service on the North Shore where the farebeating is the worst and keep it for the affluent South Shore.

Oh please... If anything I discussed FAREBEATING for any service cuts, not just because and while farebeating is a problem across the island, it is more so a problem on the North Shore where the projects are, so I would cut S74 service on the North Shore where the farebeating is the worst and keep it for the affluent South Shore.

Yeah, sure you were.... <_<http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/35015-brooklyn-bus-proposalsideas-thread-2012/page__st__760?do=findComment&comment=541127

And yeah, cutting service for the majority of the people who do pay. Real smart...

Yeah, sure you were.... <_<http://www.nyctransi...760#entry541127

And yeah, cutting service for the majority of the people who do pay. Real smart...

What "majority" of people... The S74 in the areas on the North Shore that it goes through, particularly the project areas, have high farebeating ratios... Those are the areas that I would target, but even if the S74 was lost on the South Shore for whatever reason, it wouldn't be the end of the world since most folks drive on the South Shore or use the express bus, but it should be KEPT on the South Shore to encourage usage.

What "majority" of people... The S74 in the areas on the North Shore that it goes through, particularly the project areas, have high farebeating ratios... Those are the areas that I would target, but even if the S74 was lost on the South Shore for whatever reason, it wouldn't be the end of the world since most folks drive on the South Shore or use the express bus, but it should be KEPT on the South Shore to encourage usage.

Yeah, but there are more people who pay than people who don't pay (And yes, I'm referring specifically to the North Shore areas). Of course, you're scared sh*tless of those "project areas" so you wouldn't know. And even if it wasn't the majority, there are still people who pay who would be left without service. Not to mention, that if you live in the whole Grasmere/Old Town/Dongan Hills area, you'd be forced to take the SIR even though you don't want to because the S74 isn't available (I assume you'd cut the S76 from there too) <_<

You want to reduce farebeating, then I'm through arguing with you, but the solution isn't to leave entire areas without service. The solution is to enforce it better.

Yeah, but there are more people who pay than people who don't pay (And yes, I'm referring specifically to the North Shore areas). Of course, you're scared sh*tless of those "project areas" so you wouldn't know. And even if it wasn't the majority, there are still people who pay who would be left without service. Not to mention, that if you live in the whole Grasmere/Old Town/Dongan Hills area, you'd be forced to take the SIR even though you don't want to because the S74 isn't available (I assume you'd cut the S76 from there too) <_<

You want to reduce farebeating, then I'm through arguing with you, but the solution isn't to leave entire areas without service. The solution is to enforce it better.

LMAO! It's not that so "scared" as you put it <_<. It's more of an issue of why would I go to those areas for?? They have nothing to offer unless you're there looking for crime so I stayed in my neck of the woods in West Brighton. Wish I could say the same about them... <_<

In any event, yes the solution is better enforcement, but until that comes about I would just pull the service.

LMAO! It's not that so "scared" as you put it <_<. It's more of an issue of why would I go to those areas for?? They have nothing to offer unless you're there looking for crime so I stayed in my neck of the woods in West Brighton. Wish I could say the same about them... <_<

In any event, yes the solution is better enforcement, but until that comes about I would just pull the service.

You're kidding me, right? You said "Oh, my God, I was so scared when I walked down Jewett Avenue and passed the Castleton Bus Depot and couldn't wait to get out of there". And the same thing about walking down from the S44 towards Forest Avenue. I highly doubt that you wouldn't be scared of Stapleton & Park Hill.

And like I said, strand the majority of the paying customers. Real smart...

You're kidding me, right? You said "Oh, my God, I was so scared when I walked down Jewett Avenue and passed the Castleton Bus Depot and couldn't wait to get out of there". And the same thing about walking down from the S44 towards Forest Avenue. I highly doubt that you wouldn't be scared of Stapleton & Park Hill.

And like I said, strand the majority of the paying customers. Real smart...

Well it's only natural to be gittery when walking in some run down neighborhood that you're not familiar with. I mean it's one thing if the area is safe, but if it is run down AND you don't know where you stand in terms of what is safe and what isn't then I'm uneasy. That's like walking down Jersey street late at night (a known area for drugs and violence) and telling me that you would feel just fine if you're not familiar with the area. The issue isn't so much of me being able to defend myself as it is that I'm on someone else's "turf" and I'm no idiot. I know I stand out like a sore thumb in those areas so it is best for me to get the hell out of there rather than solicit unnecessary attention. FYI, I walked through some pretty crappy areas back on the first day of the (MTA) strike. I walked to and from the ferry and yes I got stares and I dared them to approach me because I would've kicked their you know what, but the difference is I knew the seedy areas so I didn't feel at all threatened per se. Port Richmond on the other hand was just unbelievable. What was more frightening was the level of poverty there more than me feeling "threatened" per se. I couldn't believe that I was in Staten Island. I felt like I was in some third world country. On top of that the Mexicans all over the place constantly gawking don't exactly make you feel welcome either. I'm thinking damn, aren't there any other nationalities of people around here?? I mean I didn't exactly feel that threatened by short Mexicans, really. :lol: I'm sure at 6'4" I can take on at least two Mexicans. LOL! :lol:

Port Richmond was one of the first areas of SI I visited (I had to transfer from the S40 to the S59) and I felt fine even though I wasn't familiar.

And it's different passing through it at night compared to passing through it in the day (and in any case, I've left the Port Richmond Library after dark with no problems whatsoever).

Port Richmond was one of the first areas of SI I visited (I had to transfer from the S40 to the S59) and I felt fine even though I wasn't familiar.

And it's different passing through it at night compared to passing through it in the day (and in any case, I've left the Port Richmond Library after dark with no problems whatsoever).

lol... Well that still doesn't change the culture and socioeconomic shock I had... :ph34r:

lol... Well that still doesn't change the culture and socioeconomic shock I had... :ph34r:

LOL. You focus way too much on that crap. The only thing on my mind the first time I set foot in Port Richmond was "Why the hell did that B/O leave when he saw us running across the street to make the transfer?" Of course, this was before my Speedy Gonzales days, or else I would've chased that bus down to the next stop (of course, the problem with not being familiar with an area is that you don't know where the next stop is). Meanwhile, all you could think of is poor Mexicans.

LOL. You focus way too much on that crap. The only thing on my mind the first time I set foot in Port Richmond was "Why the hell did that B/O leave when he saw us running across the street to make the transfer?" Of course, this was before my Speedy Gonzales days, or else I would've chased that bus down to the next stop (of course, the problem with not being familiar with an area is that you don't know where the next stop is). Meanwhile, all you could think of is poor Mexicans.

Hey listen... I'm not exposed to that crap, so it's only natural. I mean right now I work on 5th Avenue in the heart of Midtown and live in Riverdale. The "poverty" that I see is maybe when I'm on the express bus passing through run down parts of the Bronx if I'm even aware since I usually take naps and wake up around 96th street.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Hey listen... I'm not exposed to that crap, so it's only natural. I mean right now I work on 5th Avenue in the heart of Midtown and live in Riverdale. The "poverty" that I see is maybe when I'm on the express bus passing through run down parts of the Bronx if I'm even aware since I usually take naps and wake up around 96th street.

Yeah, but this was before you moved to Riverdale. ;)

And in any case, you're telling me that you never saw bums on the train or anything? Hell, since you lived in Sheepshead Bay, you're going to tell me you've never been to Coney Island or even that run-down part of Brighton Beach between BB Avenue and Neptune Avenue?

And now that I think about it, you went to school across from the Nostrand Houses (Sheepshead Bay HS)

Anyway, getting back on topic, I added my S67 proposal onto the map. I mean, like I said before, it's ridiculous to have those PM peak S62 buses running to CSI when most people already take the S92 (and S93 for that matter), while in the meantime, Watchogue Road is left without a direct bus to St. George. But there's no point in going up to Port Richmond when there are faster routes from that area to St. George. It may only give this area east-west service in the peak direction during rush hour, but that's better than nothing.

Now that I think about it, a way to give this area full-time east-west service could be to reroute the S57 along my proposed S67 route (going along the SIE service road and then take South Avenue up to Arlington) and then create a new route to cover Willowbrook Road (and I guess Decker Avenue). The route could travel along Willowbrook Road, and then take Woolley Avenue to Forest Hill Road and continue to the SI Mall. I mean, a lot of the S57 ridership comes from Bradley Avenue, not really the Westerleigh area, so maybe riders would use it more if it went to the SI Mall instead of New Dorp. It would cost more money, but it would cost less than having to run the S76 full-time.

Of course, the cheap way is to reroute the S59 to travel up Willowbrook Road once it gets north of Deppe Place. But then again, that stop at Richmond Avenue & Monsey Place is heavily used (I use it a lot myself, actually), and we'd probably be pissed if we had to depend solely on the S44 (and S89 during rush hour).

Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Yeah, but this was before you moved to Riverdale. ;)

And in any case, you're telling me that you never saw bums on the train or anything? Hell, since you lived in Sheepshead Bay, you're going to tell me you've never been to Coney Island or even that run-down part of Brighton Beach between BB Avenue and Neptune Avenue?

And now that I think about it, you went to school across from the Nostrand Houses (Sheepshead Bay HS)

Anyway, getting back on topic, I added my S67 proposal onto the map. I mean, like I said before, it's ridiculous to have those PM peak S62 buses running to CSI when most people already take the S92 (and S93 for that matter), while in the meantime, Watchogue Road is left without a direct bus to St. George. But there's no point in going up to Port Richmond when there are faster routes from that area to St. George. It may only give this area east-west service in the peak direction during rush hour, but that's better than nothing.

Now that I think about it, a way to give this area full-time east-west service could be to reroute the S57 along my proposed S67 route (going along the SIE service road and then take South Avenue up to Arlington) and then create a new route to cover Willowbrook Road (and I guess Decker Avenue). The route could travel along Willowbrook Road, and then take Woolley Avenue to Forest Hill Road and continue to the SI Mall. I mean, a lot of the S57 ridership comes from Bradley Avenue, not really the Westerleigh area, so maybe riders would use it more if it went to the SI Mall instead of New Dorp. It would cost more money, but it would cost less than having to run the S76 full-time.

Of course, the cheap way is to reroute the S59 to travel up Willowbrook Road once it gets north of Deppe Place. But then again, that stop at Richmond Avenue & Monsey Place is heavily used (I use it a lot myself, actually), and we'd probably be pissed if we had to depend solely on the S44 (and S89 during rush hour).

Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Of course, but Port Richmond is by far more disgusting. I've been to Coney Island, but mainly the amusement part and now even those lowly projects have cops near them because the tourists are coming down there, so Coney Island is now safe once again. As for Sheepshead Bay H.S. I mean I wasn't exactly sheltered, but at the same time there really wasn't anything to worry about. There was plenty of security before and after school and we who weren't black, we did okay, even though we were outnumbered HEAVILY by the blacks. I never understood that school. The whites, Asians and mixed folks were heavily outnumbered by blacks and they weren't zoned there either. I don't know where they came from but it was weird. I mean I went there because I was zoned there by a few blocks so I had to go there, but it was no picnic. Metal detectors and such when I first started going there because a kid was shot there the semester before I attended (I believe). Once I started taking AP and honors courses, that was the way to avoid the riff raff or whatever, but I was glad when I graduated and went on to college to more a civilized environment.

Now back to topic... Why in the world does Watchogue Road suddenly need so much service when Victory Blvd is a block away???? <_<

Of course, but Port Richmond is by far more disgusting. I've been to Coney Island, but mainly the amusement part and now even those lowly projects have cops near them because the tourists are coming down there, so Coney Island is now safe once again. As for Sheepshead Bay H.S. I mean I wasn't exactly sheltered, but at the same time there really wasn't anything to worry about. There was plenty of security before and after school and we who weren't black, we did okay, even though we were outnumbered HEAVILY by the blacks. I never understood that school. The whites, Asians and mixed folks were heavily outnumbered by blacks and they weren't zoned there either. I don't know where they came from but it was weird. I mean I went there because I was zoned there by a few blocks so I had to go there, but it was no picnic. Metal detectors and such when I first started going there because a kid was shot there the semester before I attended (I believe). Once I started taking AP and honors courses, that was the way to avoid the riff raff or whatever, but I was glad when I graduated and went on to college to more a civilized environment.

Now back to topic... Why in the world does Watchogue Road suddenly need so much service when Victory Blvd is a block away???? <_<

Yeah, those are the parts you saw. Like I said, those nice pictures I showed you were in the southern part of the area, not near Castleton & Jewett or whatever.

In any case, Watchogue Road is way more than a block away. In that case, why do we have the S66 if the S54 is "only a block away"? From Victory & Stewart to Watchogue & Stewart is a 9 minute walk (close to 1/2 mile), and it gets even further as you go further west (by the time you hit Richmond Avenue, you're talking about a 17 minute walk, which is over 3/4 of a mile already)

Second of all, who the hell said anything about "so much service"? I guess there was "so much service" before when the S67 was around, right? Because that's literally exactly what I would do (hell, the hours might not even be the same as the old S67. They'll probably be the same hours as the S92, which are shorter). And I guess it's right to have the S62 & S92 run within minutes of each other and the S92 picks up 90% of the passengers while in the meantime Watchogue Road riders have no direct route to St. George? (And don't give me any crap of "they could be better spaced" because you know damn well those S62s are supposed to meet the ferry)

I was thinking about rerouting the S57 and having something else cover Willowbrook Road. Did I mention anything about increasing the frequencies on that line? No, I didn't.

Geez, it seems like you're criticizing the proposals just because I'm the one who wrote them. Take two seconds and read what I'm writing. :angry:

Yeah, those are the parts you saw. Like I said, those nice pictures I showed you were in the southern part of the area, not near Castleton & Jewett or whatever.

In any case, Watchogue Road is way more than a block away. In that case, why do we have the S66 if the S54 is "only a block away"? From Victory & Stewart to Watchogue & Stewart is a 9 minute walk (close to 1/2 mile), and it gets even further as you go further west (by the time you hit Richmond Avenue, you're talking about a 17 minute walk, which is over 3/4 of a mile already)

Second of all, who the hell said anything about "so much service"? I guess there was "so much service" before when the S67 was around, right? Because that's literally exactly what I would do (hell, the hours might not even be the same as the old S67. They'll probably be the same hours as the S92, which are shorter). And I guess it's right to have the S62 & S92 run within minutes of each other and the S92 picks up 90% of the passengers while in the meantime Watchogue Road riders have no direct route to St. George? (And don't give me any crap of "they could be better spaced" because you know damn well those S62s are supposed to meet the ferry)

I was thinking about rerouting the S57 and having something else cover Willowbrook Road. Did I mention anything about increasing the frequencies on that line? No, I didn't.

Geez, it seems like you're criticizing the proposals just because I'm the one who wrote them. Take two seconds and read what I'm writing. :angry:

Last I checked Watchogue is ONE block away from Victory at Jewett Avenue and then it becomes more than a few blocks away, at best maybe 3 blocks. I rest my case. <_< Aside from that doesn't the S57 run down Watchogue for a while??? As for the S66 and S54. Please... That's a ridiculous comparison and you know it and thus I refuse to entertain it.

Last I checked Watchogue is ONE block away from Victory at Jewett Avenue and they it becomes more than a few blocks away, at best maybe 3 blocks. I rest my case. <_< Aside from that doesn't the S57 run down Watchogue for a while??? As for the S66 and S54. Please... That's a ridiculous comparison and you know it and thus I refuse to entertain it.

THREE BLOCKS??????? The last time I checked, 3/4 of a mile is not three blocks. <_< And that comparison about being a block away is complete BS. I guess we should get rid of the S48 because when you get near Victory Blvd, it's "only a block away".

And by that logic, yes one of those two routes should have to go because Jewett Avenue to Manor Road is three blocks. You have Jewett Avenue-Westcott Blvd, Westcott Blvd-South Greenleaf, and then South Greenleaf-Manor Road. That actually is three blocks.

THREE BLOCKS??????? The last time I checked, 3/4 of a mile is not three blocks. <_< And that comparison about being a block away is complete BS. I guess we should get rid of the S48 because when you get near Victory Blvd, it's "only a block away".

And by that logic, yes one of those two routes should have to go because Jewett Avenue to Manor Road is three blocks. You have Jewett Avenue-Westcott Blvd, Westcott Blvd-South Greenleaf, and then South Greenleaf-Manor Road. That actually is three blocks.

Even so the S57 still serves Watchogue Rd so cut the BS already. The S66 and S54 have completely different service needs and you know that. I mean you're going overkill with these damn proposals. There are only so many streets that need service on Staten Island. Let's first STRENGHTEN the routes that EXIST.... <_<