Staten Island Bus Proposal Thread 2012-2013

FamousNYLover

1) I don't think it is superior, considering they don't actually inspect the buses as often as they should.

2) BusTime is a tool, like the MetroCard. You can still use coins, but the MetroCard helps you organize your fare. You could use a schedule, but it dosen't tell you if your bus is early or late. BusTime helps you with that. I don't know if this makes sense, but the point is to have it there to be used, even if it hasn't caught on yet.

1) That's not what I was referring to, though. I was asking whether he thinks it would help the riders overall. Fare inspection is a seperate issue.

2) Yeah, and all I'm saying is that there are some groups that will not use it, and the MTA should have an idea of who is using it and who isn't.

Vito Fossella represented all of SI and parts of Southern Brooklyn (i.e. Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst & Gravesend) and he fought for dedicated express bus lanes on the Gowanus which he had some success with, but he seemed to push hard for all express bus riders, be it on the North Shore or the South Shore. Now Grimm has come into office and he's done nothing but cater to the South Shore with that X22 as if they're the only ones who need improved express bus service. Mind you he also lives on the South Shore, so he looks out for his immediate backyard which esp. pissed me since I was a North Shore resident who voted for him. Now whatever pull he has, he used it along with another South Shore representative Vincent Ignizio to try to improve the X22 and I wrote to him on a number of occasions calling him out on it because he did NOTHING for the North Shore to improve express bus service, and nor did any of the do nothing North Shore representatives. When the (MTA) put the X16 on the cutting block, residents in West Brighton were especially vocal and the lame representatives for us, especially Debbie Rose pretty much threw in the towel. Rose talks a good game, but she really has little pull at all.

He lives in New Springville, not the South Shore: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/michael-grimm-mailbox-stolen-staten-island-congressman--139082409.html

Him fighting for the X22 (which if you think about it, barely cost the MTA anything) had nothing to do with him representing the South Shore.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He lives in New Springville, not the South Shore: http://www.nbcnewyor...-139082409.html

Him fighting for the X22 (which if you think about it, barely cost the MTA anything) had nothing to do with him representing the South Shore.

Here we go again... I don't need a damn geography course on where New Springville is. I know where it is located and for political purposes I referred to it as the South Shore because it sure as hell isn't on the North Shore.

As for the X22, you have no clue of what you're talking about. I've been voting on Staten Island for years and you don't have a clue as to how things are set up politically on Staten Island. I've been in talks with Grimm and I'm not going into details about what he has said, but in any event you don't know what you're talking about so stop acting like you know everything, not unless you were somehow privy to our e-mail and mail exchanges which I highly doubt. The only thing you know about the X22 is maybe what you read about in the news, but that's about it.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Here we go again... I don't need a damn geography course on where New Springville is. I know where it is located and for political purposes I referred to it as the South Shore because it sure as hell isn't on the North Shore.

As for the X22, you have no clue of what you're talking about. I've been voting on Staten Island for years and you don't have a clue as to how things are set up politically on Staten Island. I've been in talks with Grimm and I'm not going into details about what he has said, but in any event you don't know what you're talking about so stop acting like you know everything, not unless you were somehow privy to our e-mail and mail exchanges which I highly doubt. The only thing you know about the X22 is maybe what you read about in the news, but that's about it.

So if something isn't located on the North Shore, that automatically makes it the South Shore? In any case, the point is that it's not like he's providing a ton of service to his immediate area (if anything, he'd use the X10 more than the X22)

And I don't read the news to find out transit information. Why would I do that when I could find out about it on here? And aside from that, the MTA always releases the information about its reroutings, so I sure as hell know more than the news about that.

So if something isn't located on the North Shore, that automatically makes it the South Shore? In any case, the point is that it's not like he's providing a ton of service to his immediate area (if anything, he'd use the X10 more than the X22)

And I don't read the news to find out transit information. Why would I do that when I could find out about it on here? And aside from that, the MTA always releases the information about its reroutings, so I sure as hell know more than the news about that.

If I don't where New Springville is located by now after having lived on Staten Island off and on for over 10 years then I guess I'll never know. Like I said, I don't need a geography lesson. I'm well aware of where New Springville is "officially" located at. Thank you.

In any event, you didn't read our exchanges, period. When you start voting on SI then come back and tell me how things work. You got a taste of it when you wrote to some of the elected officials here, but I've been involved with the politics on the island for years and there is the "official" crap that is written in the papers and then there's the unofficial BS that goes on behind the scenes and yes SI does lack political clout, though the South Shore has more pull.

Yeah, but you said that their gripes are overboard... I was simply giving background to the situation as to what goes on there and why they feel the way that they do because some folks aren't on the up and up when it comes to Staten Island. The post was quoting you, but was also giving out some general information since of course others are reading this thread.

So I said the victim mentality is far too apparent.....

If I said they have little to no reason to feel that way, then I could understand the nature of the remarks you made in in that post (#67)....

It's More like you wanted to reinforce to me that you understood why SI-ers feel the way they do.... Like, ok?

Why in the world would I think you wouldn't understand their plight, knowing that you lived in SI....

You worded that post as if I know little to nothing about the borough & were one of those folks that crack jokes about the borough as well.... I inform to tell you that I'm not a part of that camp.....

As for SI Representatives not having pull, there is some truth to that. Remember that Staten Island is heavily Republican, while New York City overall is heavily Democratic. If you believe that politics don't come into play as to how much pull they have then I've got a bridge to sell you.

Sure, I know the party differences b/w SI & the other boroughs.... Again, you seem to have it instilled in your head that I don't understand why SI-ers feel the way they do as the underdog/victim/etc.....

As far as that bridge... it's gonna remain on the open market for life, then...

That bolded sentence... Man, of course Politics have to be involved for some Politician to have Political Pull..... Of course some areas/politicians have more political pull than others..... Being the minority of the 5 boroughs as it comes to democratic representation though doesn't mean their reps have no pull... it doesn't mean they have little pull..... This notion that SI being more republican automatically equating to SI's reps not having pull, is what I'm having a problem with....

It's basically throwing in the proverbial towel... We're Staten Island, we're republican, the other boroughs aren't, so we get less pull by default..... All the other pol's have more pull than us..... We're sooooooo weak..... Not buying it, I'm sorry.

I mean, last time I checked, you can still have the political backing & isht still not get done....

This is why I don't get too wrapped up in party vs party, or politics in general really......

I'm surprised the search function doesn't work, or else I'd just link it to you, but basically, you gave an example of how it typically plays out going Brooklyn-bound (the first bus gets delayed, and then gets hit with all the passengers, and then a second bus doesn't get delayed, and often ends up getting ahead of schedule. Eventually, because of those quiet stretches along Hylan Blvd, it catches up to the first S79, and then depending on the traffic lights in Brooklyn, you could see 3 buses along 86th Street at once (I think that post was made back when the S79 made the same clockwise loop in Brooklyn the S53/93 make).

I remember what you're referring to of mine now... thanks.

Anyway, I wonder if that problem had anything to do w/ the 79 terminal being moved across the street from the 53 (meaning, behind the old B64/current B1 spot).......

I guess supposedly, they want to see if certain groups are being excluded from using BusTime (the elderly because they don't know how to use the Internet, or the poor because they can't afford a phone, etc).

The thing is that if they can't use BusTime, they likely aren't going to be browsing the Internet looking for these types of surveys.

(And aside from that, isn't it self-explanatory that those groups would be excluded. And realistically, what can you do about it?)

In any case, I put it out for VG8 in case he was interested, since we know he thinks BusTime is the greatest creation since sliced bread. :D I don't think any other users on here really use BusTime, but if they use it and are interested then hey, more power to them.

Good point in the 2nd statement... part of the reason I'd be skeptical about the motive of this survey.....

The guy doesn't state who he is, or from what organization/company he's from (if any)... Invasive questions are being asked that has squat to do with bustime itself.... and on top of that, he wants to meet up with you after the fact for an hour long interview??? What the hell can you talk about for a solid hour about bustime.....

The type of stuff killers are made of, I swear.....

As for that third/last portion of your post..... Lol.

So I said the victim mentality is far too apparent.....

If I said they have little to no reason to feel that way, then I could understand the nature of the remarks you made in in that post (#67)....

It's More like you wanted to reinforce to me that you understood why SI-ers feel the way they do.... Like, ok?

Why in the world would I think you wouldn't understand their plight, knowing that you lived in SI....

You worded that post as if I know little to nothing about the borough & were one of those folks that crack jokes about the borough as well.... I inform to tell you that I'm not a part of that camp.....

Sure, I know the party differences b/w SI & the other boroughs.... Again, you seem to have it instilled in your head that I don't understand why SI-ers feel the way they do as the underdog/victim/etc.....

As far as that bridge... it's gonna remain on the open market for life, then...

That bolded sentence... Man, of course Politics have to be involved for some Politician to have Political Pull..... Of course some areas/politicians have more political pull than others..... Being the minority of the 5 boroughs as it comes to democratic representation though doesn't mean their reps have no pull... it doesn't mean they have little pull..... This notion that SI being more republican automatically equating to SI's reps not having pull, is what I'm having a problem with....

It's basically throwing in the proverbial towel... We're Staten Island, we're republican, the other boroughs aren't, so we get less pull by default..... All the other pol's have more pull than us..... We're sooooooo weak..... Not buying it, I'm sorry.

I mean, last time I checked, you can still have the political backing & isht still not get done....

This is why I don't get too wrapped up in party vs party, or politics in general really......

No question about it, but I've had long conversations about this with other Staten Islanders and many of them feel that the (MTA) looks down on Staten Island and they've given various reasons for it. Some have argued reverse discrimination if you will, as Staten Island is heavily white and Republican, but mainly middle class, as Staten Island is often seen as "the trashy borough" if you will and many have most certainly pointed to the population size as one reason why they're overlooked. Basically they point to Staten Island being "other" as to why they feel so underrepresented and I think there is some truth to that. As you've pointed out, things don't get done when the same political parties work together, so not much happens usually when Republicans and Democrats have to work together either, esp. in a heavily Democratic city.

Of course these are just opinions, but I myself have sat down and wondered about why Staten Island is treated the way that it is. I will say that the first time I came from Brooklyn to Staten Island, I found the place a bit backwards, but what was more shocking was the service... I always found the bus service to be downright appalling coming from Brooklyn and anytime there is a snow storm... Forget it...

I never forget the snow storm back in 2007... I was literally stranded for hours trying to get home. I took an X12 in, got off a few hours later on Victory Blvd and then tried to get an S54... Nothing... Caught a Victory Blvd bus to Clove Rd for the S53... Nothing... No car service was running and I had to wait for I don't know how long for another Victory Blvd bus, take that to the ferry and then take an S48 to get home. I left work around 18:20 or so and did not get home until almost 24:00.... I kid you not... That was one time in which I totally understood how Staten Islanders felt left out when it comes to the (MTA).

I was thinking the same thing. I mean, if a politician demands more bus service, what difference does it make whether they're Democrat or Republican? If they fight hard, then they'll be more likely to get it. Now, maybe if it was an issue of tax increases or something else, they'd lose out, but on something like bus service, it's the survival of the fittest: The MTA is only going to listen to those who fight the hardest, and if that happens to be a Republican, so be it.

I mean, he complains that Debi Rose doesn't do anything, and she's a Democrat.

No question about it, but I've had long conversations about this with other Staten Islanders and many of them feel that the (MTA) looks down on Staten Island and they've given various reasons for it. Some have argued reverse discrimination if you will, as Staten Island is heavily white and Republican, but mainly middle class, as Staten Island is often seen as "the trashy borough" if you will and many have most certainly pointed to the population size as one reason why they're overlooked. Basically they point to Staten Island being "other" as to why they feel so underrepresented and I think there is some truth to that. As you've pointed out, things don't get done when the same political parties work together, so not much happens usually when Republicans and Democrats have to work together either, esp. in a heavily Democratic city.

But the thing is that both parties are fighting for a common interest. It benefits both the Republicans and Democrats if they save the bus service (or get more service added) because they both look good.

If I don't where New Springville is located by now after having lived on Staten Island off and on for over 10 years then I guess I'll never know. Like I said, I don't need a geography lesson. I'm well aware of where New Springville is "officially" located at. Thank you.

In any event, you didn't read our exchanges, period. When you start voting on SI then come back and tell me how things work. You got a taste of it when you wrote to some of the elected officials here, but I've been involved with the politics on the island for years and there is the "official" crap that is written in the papers and then there's the unofficial BS that goes on behind the scenes and yes SI does lack political clout, though the South Shore has more pull.

Alright. So then answer this: Does the X22 stop anywhere near New Springville?

As for having political clout, like I said, we're not underrepresented. We have a small population, and so we get a small amount of representation (that's fairly proportionate to our population). Do you really think that SI should have the same amount of representation as Brooklyn, which has over 5 times the population? Then Brooklyn would be the one complaining about underrepresentation.

I was thinking the same thing. I mean, if a politician demands more bus service, what difference does it make whether they're Democrat or Republican? If they fight hard, then they'll be more likely to get it. Now, maybe if it was an issue of tax increases or something else, they'd lose out, but on something like bus service, it's the survival of the fittest: The MTA is only going to listen to those who fight the hardest, and if that happens to be a Republican, so be it.

In case you don't know the governor selects who will be on the (MTA) board and I have a hard time believing that politics are always left out.

I mean, he complains that Debi Rose doesn't do anything, and she's a Democrat.

I never said that Democrats have it made here in NYC. You still have to work, but my point is that you have to work and have political connections, neither of which she appears to have. Her position with the (MTA) over the X16 was nothing more than a big pretty please don't cut the X16. That's not the kind of representative I want "fighting" for me. Now Senator Golden on the other hand... That's a guy that knows how to fight.

But the thing is that both parties are fighting for a common interest. It benefits both the Republicans and Democrats if they save the bus service (or get more service added) because they both look good.

lol... Oh boy... <_<

Alright. So then answer this: Does the X22 stop anywhere near New Springville?

As for having political clout, like I said, we're not underrepresented. We have a small population, and so we get a small amount of representation (that's fairly proportionate to our population). Do you really think that SI should have the same amount of representation as Brooklyn, which has over 5 times the population? Then Brooklyn would be the one complaining about underrepresentation.

Oh please, like Grimm rides the express bus. What it comes down to is the South Shore gets the attention over the North Shore and guys like Vincent Ignizio fights hard for the folks that he represents which is the South Shore. I'll mention some of what Grimm wrote back to me when I wrote to him complaining about express bus service on the North Shore. He basically said that he heard of some of the problems, but it came off as yeah others have been complaining too, but he made no mention of what he was doing specifically to help the North Shore in the short term. Instead he brushed my comments aside and went on to mention how he's working on trying to get a new Goethals Bridge that may take years to build and really only helps select folks. Meanwhile he's working with Ignizio to improve the X22. Cost neutral or not, there are things that he can be doing to improve express bus service NOW for the North Shore. That's the point.

As for your other point, everything is always peachy dory on Staten Island... Bus service is fine, Staten Island is well represented... I mean really are you sure live on Staten Island or do you still live in Brooklyn?? I came from Brooklyn and could see how screwed up things were on Staten Island and yet you sit here and constantly claim that everything is just fine when in reality it isn't. Staten Island IS underrepresented not only because of the small population but because of the fact that it is heavily Republican in a Democratic city AND transportation has been a topic for years on Staten Island. It is THE main reason why young folks like myself up and leave and in fact continue to do so in droves, but yeah keep telling yourself that. One of the main reasons folks can ride the ferry for free was because of a Republican (Giuliani) who Staten Island supported heavily and he showed his appreciation in return. Political support in a Democratic city does mean something. Bloomberg (a so called Independent) has been iffy when it comes to giving back to Staten Island. He knows that Staten Island has supported him heavily over the years (I even voted for him for this 2nd term <_<), but he hasn't done much either. Years ago he talked about improving ferry service, which has pretty much remained the same. Meanwhile the population there continues to grow and the same crappy service still exists on the ferry and the bus.

When I first moved to Staten Island, everything was geared around the ferry and sadly that is still true in 2012. There has been next to no improvements to improve travel WITHIN Staten Island, which is pretty pathetic.

1) In case you don't know the governor selects who will be on the (MTA) board and I have a hard time believing that politics are always left out.

2) I never said that Democrats have it made here in NYC. You still have to work, but my point is that you have to work and have political connections, neither of which she appears to have. Her position with the (MTA) over the X16 was nothing more than a big pretty please don't cut the X16. That's not the kind of representative I want "fighting" for me. Now Senator Golden on the other hand... That's a guy that knows how to fight.

3) Oh please, like Grimm rides the express bus. What it comes down to is the South Shore gets the attention over the North Shore and guys like Vincent Ignizio fights hard for the folks that he represents which is the South Shore. I'll mention some of what Grimm wrote back to me when I wrote to him complaining about express bus service on the North Shore. He basically said that he heard of some of the problems, but it came off as yeah others have been complaining too, but he made no mention of what he was doing specifically to help the North Shore in the short term. Instead he brushed my comments aside and went on to mention how he's working on trying to get a new Goethals Bridge that may take years to build and really only helps select folks. Meanwhile he's working with Ignizio to improve the X22. Cost neutral or not, there are things that he can be doing to improve express bus service NOW for the North Shore. That's the point.

4) As for your other point, everything is always peachy dory on Staten Island... Bus service is fine, Staten Island is well represented... I mean really are you sure live on Staten Island or do you still live in Brooklyn?? I came from Brooklyn and could see how screwed up things were on Staten Island and yet you sit here and constantly claim that everything is just fine when in reality it isn't. Staten Island IS underrepresented not only because of the small population but because of the fact that it is heavily Republican in a Democratic city AND transportation has been a topic for years on Staten Island. It is THE main reason why young folks like myself up and leave and in fact continue to do so in droves, but yeah keep telling yourself that. One of the main reasons folks can ride the ferry for free was because of a Republican (Giuliani) who Staten Island supported heavily and he showed his appreciation in return. Political support in a Democratic city does mean something. Bloomberg (a so called Independent) has been iffy when it comes to giving back to Staten Island. He knows that Staten Island has supported him heavily over the years (I even voted for him for this 2nd term <_<), but he hasn't done much either. Years ago he talked about improving ferry service, which has pretty much remained the same. Meanwhile the population there continues to grow and the same crappy service still exists on the ferry and the bus.

When I first moved to Staten Island, everything was geared around the ferry and sadly that is still true in 2012. There has been next to no improvements to improve travel WITHIN Staten Island, which is pretty pathetic.

1) We have Allen Cappelli, don't we? But then again, I'm not sure how influential he is. I mean, he talks good game, but he didn't do jack sh*t about either of our proposals, so I don't know.

And by the way, the mayor also gets to appoint 4 members: http://www.mta.info/mta/leadership/

2) I'm not denying that. But all I'm saying is that if a politician is strong, it doesn't matter what his/her political affliation is. I mean, Martin Golden is a Republican and he definitely has some political influence.

3) LOL. When I wrote to him about my S93 proposal, he gave me some BS about running light rail over the Bayonne Bridge.

4) I never said bus service is fine, but really, how much bus service are we supposed to get. When I lived in a neighborhood full of apartment buildings, there was great service, with 3 bus routes and a subway line within a short walk. Now that I live in a neighborhood with townhouses and single-family homes, obviously the level of service isn't as good. Why? Because there are fewer people in the neighborhood to use the service, so obviously less service is run. Are there problems? Of course. There are gaping holes in the network that the MTA never bothered to fix. And aside from that I've had buses show up 15 minutes late for no reason at all. Don't give me any crap of I said everything was perfect because it's not and I've said it's not.

Ten of the board members represent NYC. One is from Staten Island, so that's 10%. But Staten Island has less than 6% of the population, so why would it make sense to put more board members up there? How is having 10% of the vote while having 6% of the population underrepresentation?

For our politicians, I still don't see how we're underrepresented. Being Republican in a Democratic city doesn't help, but like I said, if the politicians flex their political muscle, they can still be pretty powerful, and I consider them a fair representation for SI.

I would like to get back to Checkmatechamp' suggestion to extend the S/79 to 59th Street and 4th Avenue Station. Reading on buschat today it seems that problems involving 86th Street - 4th Avenue has gotten the attention of Community Board # 10 and there will be a meeting held later on this month with all three groups invited and hopefully coming to the meeting. The City Department of Transportation, Brooklyn Bus Division and the Staten Island Division have been invited.

This is where his suggestion to extend the roite to the 59th Street Station comes into play as the proposals that are being put forth for 86th Street make it much worse. The extension will do many positive things if the route follows the service road to 86th Street then straight coming out on 7th Avenue to 60th Street to 4th Avenue. Return via 4th Avenue, Bay Ridge Parkway, Service road to 92nd Street and the Bridge. (I am unsure of the names of some of the streets). Stops will be at 86th Street (On the formerly blockbuster side in the northbound direction), Bay Ridge Parkway, 70th Street and 60th Street and 4th Avenue. Since checkmatechamp did not specify the route, I took the liberty to come up with a suggested route,

The reason I like his suggestion is that eliminates the problem at 86th Street and it allows for transfer to two subway lines. I used to transfer with many other riders from the northbound N to the southbound R early in the morning and reversed the trip later in the afteroon. With the bus at 60th Street (located at the far end of the 59th Street Station), it eliminates the necesity of the R and usually missing the bus. I also think that this extension will increase ridership especially from the upper Hylan Boulevard corridor as riders may choose the N and R connection over the ferry and 86th Street.

1) We have Allen Cappelli, don't we? But then again, I'm not sure how influential he is. I mean, he talks good game, but he didn't do jack sh*t about either of our proposals, so I don't know.

And by the way, the mayor also gets to appoint 4 members: http://www.mta.info/mta/leadership/

Allen Cappelli is a good man. Don't knock the guy. The problem is he is the ONLY representative from Staten Island. He's the only one that understands on that board what Staten Islanders go through commuting wise. The other board members don't have a clue so how do you expect him to be able to do much when it is him against the rest of the board members. I mean really he does speak out. For example he spoke out against cutting back the S79. He himself admitted that the line has seen growth over the years and if anything service should be increased to attract more ridership, not cut back and he was referring to the midday cuts that the (MTA) eventually enacted and I agree with him.

2) I'm not denying that. But all I'm saying is that if a politician is strong, it doesn't matter what his/her political affliation is. I mean, Martin Golden is a Republican and he definitely has some political influence.

Oh please, Marty Golden is strong because he not only has clout, but he represents areas with sizable populations, and clout themselves.

3) LOL. When I wrote to him about my S93 proposal, he gave me some BS about running light rail over the Bayonne Bridge.

Which shows that he clearly already had an agenda. He received a pretty decent amount of support from the South Shore and one of the things they constantly complain about is the express bus down there, so naturally he is going to cater to him. That's why I was pissed because he received a decent amount of support from the North Shore too.

4) I never said bus service is fine, but really, how much bus service are we supposed to get. When I lived in a neighborhood full of apartment buildings, there was great service, with 3 bus routes and a subway line within a short walk. Now that I live in a neighborhood with townhouses and single-family homes, obviously the level of service isn't as good. Why? Because there are fewer people in the neighborhood to use the service, so obviously less service is run. Are there problems? Of course. There are gaping holes in the network that the MTA never bothered to fix. And aside from that I've had buses show up 15 minutes late for no reason at all. Don't give me any crap of I said everything was perfect because it's not and I've said it's not.

For starters enough so that folks aren't standing in narrow aisles. Staten Island has been going through this for years, even when the (MTA) was in good financial terms. No other borough has standees on their express buses. Here in Riverdale, I have yet to have a bus go MIA. Some of have been late because of unexpected detours, but never MIA.

Ten of the board members represent NYC. One is from Staten Island, so that's 10%. But Staten Island has less than 6% of the population, so why would it make sense to put more board members up there? How is having 10% of the vote while having 6% of the population underrepresentation?

For our politicians, I still don't see how we're underrepresented. Being Republican in a Democratic city doesn't help, but like I said, if the politicians flex their political muscle, they can still be pretty powerful, and I consider them a fair representation for SI.

Yeah, it looks good on paper, but those other board members don't have a clue of what Staten Islanders endure and that right there is a huge problem. What good does it do to have board members that can't relate??

I would like to get back to Checkmatechamp' suggestion to extend the S/79 to 59th Street and 4th Avenue Station. Reading on buschat today it seems that problems involving 86th Street - 4th Avenue has gotten the attention of Community Board # 10 and there will be a meeting held later on this month with all three groups invited and hopefully coming to the meeting. The City Department of Transportation, Brooklyn Bus Division and the Staten Island Division have been invited.

This is where his suggestion to extend the roite to the 59th Street Station comes into play as the proposals that are being put forth for 86th Street make it much worse. The extension will do many positive things if the route follows the service road to 86th Street then straight coming out on 7th Avenue to 60th Street to 4th Avenue. Return via 4th Avenue, Bay Ridge Parkway, Service road to 92nd Street and the Bridge. (I am unsure of the names of some of the streets). Stops will be at 86th Street (On the formerly blockbuster side in the northbound direction), Bay Ridge Parkway, 70th Street and 60th Street and 4th Avenue. Since checkmatechamp did not specify the route, I took the liberty to come up with a suggested route,

The reason I like his suggestion is that eliminates the problem at 86th Street and it allows for transfer to two subway lines. I used to transfer with many other riders from the northbound N to the southbound R early in the morning and reversed the trip later in the afteroon. With the bus at 60th Street (located at the far end of the 59th Street Station), it eliminates the necesity of the R and usually missing the bus. I also think that this extension will increase ridership especially from the upper Hylan Boulevard corridor as riders may choose the N and R connection over the ferry and 86th Street.

I suggested the route earlier in the thread:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/index.php/topic/34584-staten-island-bus-service-proposalsideas-thread-2012/page__st__20?do=findComment&comment=528739

Basically, it should spend as little time on the local streets as possible. It only stops at 92nd Street and 86th Street under my plan for a connection to other bus lines.

1) Allen Cappelli is a good man. Don't knock the guy. The problem is he is the ONLY representative from Staten Island. He's the only one that understands on that board what Staten Islanders go through commuting wise. The other board members don't have a clue so how do you expect him to be able to do much when it is him against the rest of the board members. I mean really he does speak out. For example he spoke out against cutting back the S79. He himself admitted that the line has seen growth over the years and if anything service should be increased to attract more ridership, not cut back and he was referring to the midday cuts that the (MTA) eventually enacted and I agree with him.

2) Oh please, Marty Golden is strong because he not only has clout, but he represents areas with sizable populations, and clout themselves.

3) Which shows that he clearly already had an agenda. He received a pretty decent amount of support from the South Shore and one of the things they constantly complain about is the express bus down there, so naturally he is going to cater to him. That's why I was pissed because he received a decent amount of support from the North Shore too.

4) For starters enough so that folks aren't standing in narrow aisles. Staten Island has been going through this for years, even when the (MTA) was in good financial terms. No other borough has standees on their express buses. Here in Riverdale, I have yet to have a bus go MIA. Some of have been late because of unexpected detours, but never MIA.

5) Yeah, it looks good on paper, but those other board members don't have a clue of what Staten Islanders endure and that right there is a huge problem. What good does it do to have board members that can't relate??

1) If somebody gives you a proposal, you at least give them the courtesy of a follow-up response, and you don't have them chasing you down. Technically, since it was your proposal, you should've heard from him, but did he respond to you? No. The only reason I was able to get in contact with him was because I looked up the information on the Internet.

2) Senate districts all include a similar number of people. http://www.prisonersofthecensus.org/nys34.html

Look at the size of the districts:

http://www.nysenate.gov/district/22 (Goldman)

http://www.nysenate.gov/district/24 (Lanza)

http://www.nysenate.gov/district/23 (Savino)

Lanza has the largest district, but it has a lower population density, so it ends up roughly balancing out. As for political clout, at the very least, Lanza would have a lot of political clout.

3) Yeah, but you don't insult my intelligence by sending me a letter on something completely irrelevant to what I'm asking for.

4) Well, I'm not going to get into a discussion over standing in narrow aisles, but you kept complaining about how the X27/28/37/38 always had standees, and how the X37/38 were needed because they had standees before they reached the East 40s. The last time I checked, those routes don't serve SI. Aside from that, people have mentioned standing on routes like the BxM7 and some of the QM buses (I think the QM6 was mentioned)

5) Every board member is going to favor their own borough over the other ones. But aside from that, there were board members who knew how hard their own borough was going to get hit (especially Brooklyn) and yet they still voted for the cuts. And that's another thing: SI saw the least cuts out of all the boroughs. Yes, I know we have the least service to cut, but the point is that if we had that little political influence, the cuts would've been much worse.

4) Well, I'm not going to get into a discussion over standing in narrow aisles, but you kept complaining about how the X27/28/37/38 always had standees, and how the X37/38 were needed because they had standees before they reached the East 40s. The last time I checked, those routes don't serve SI. Aside from that, people have mentioned standing on routes like the BxM7 and some of the QM buses (I think the QM6 was mentioned)

Yeah the X27/X28 had them but that problem has been resolved, BUT on Staten Island, the overcrowding problem has been an issue for YEARS, even when the (MTA) was in good fiscal standing. In sum they've always been stingy with service on Staten Island even on the local lines. The S53 should have far more frequent service in the morning between 08:00 and 09:00 going to Bay Ridge. One option could be to re-route select S93s to help out the S53s because some of those S93s going to Brooklyn are not all that crowded in the morning, so why not have them better utilized?

Let's be glad that they made the S53 more frequent on weekdays.

And as I've said this before the S93 is perfect the way it operates. There is no need for it to go anywhere else than it does now.

As this has already been pointed out, one of the main issues with Staten Island buses in general is that people complain about service being crappy, but when the (MTA) comes up with possible suggestions, people are so quick to bash anything that they may not approve of; For example: SBS on the S79.... Most of us think it should be implemented, but then there's always the select few that have to disagree for whatever reasons they have.

That's why I do not often suggest ieads for Staten Island even after living there for over 15 years.

Let's be glad that they made the S53 more frequent on weekdays.

And as I've said this before the S93 is perfect the way it operates. There is no need for it to go anywhere else than it does now.

As this has already been pointed out, one of the main issues with Staten Island buses in general is that people complain about service being crappy, but when the (MTA) comes up with possible suggestions, people are so quick to bash anything that they may not approve of; For example: SBS on the S79.... Most of us think it should be implemented, but then there's always the select few that have to disagree for whatever reasons they have.

That's why I do not often suggest ieads for Staten Island even after living there for over 15 years.

The S93 is fine the way it is BUT why should empty S93s run with plenty of room to Brooklyn while the S53s run crushloaded in the morning?? Either add an S83 to help out the S53 or divert some of the S93s... They'd still be making limited stops so it wouldn't add that much time. Furthermore, I lived by the S53 for years and it isn't like the added service isn't needed. The S53 needs all of the service it can get.

The S93 is fine the way it is BUT why should empty S93s run with plenty of room to Brooklyn while the S53s run crushloaded in the morning?? Either add an S83 to help out the S53 or divert some of the S93s... They'd still be making limited stops so it wouldn't add that much time.

That usually does not happen often.... My guess is that people waiting at Clove Rd/Niagara St usually take whatever bus arrives first at least according to what I see.... Also given the fact that the S93 going to Bay Ridge is not as frequent as the S53's in the morning rush could be a factor...

That usually does not happen often.... My guess is that people waiting at Clove Rd/Niagara St usually take whatever bus arrives first at least according to what I see.... Also given the fact that the S93 going to Bay Ridge is not as frequent as the S53's in the morning rush could be a factor...

True, but the real crowding starts on the S53 around Clove Rd and Richmond Av/Targee St. From there it is just a mess. If they could put artics on the S53 then the 10 minute headways would be fine... I personally have used the S53 from say near Forest Avenue, then will get off and wait for an S93 to transfer to the X2 just so that I don't have to deal with the crowding and ridiculous amount of stops. Anywho not my problem anymore now that I'm in Riverdale, but I see the S53 gaining more ridership for sure. I'll probably be on Staten Island in a few weeks to do my regular stop at Shop Rite for the nice deals so I'll see how things are then. :ph34r:

Well yes, the S53 should have artics being that it is the highest ridership local route in SI.... but you can't just throw an artic on a bus route. I'm not opposing it, but a few things stand in the way of that...

- Some parts of the S53 route are way too narrow , for example nea Grasmere train station

- (Not sure about this, but ) Castleton needs equipment to handle artic buses

I could be wrong though..

Well yes, the S53 should have artics being that it is the highest ridership local route in SI.... but you can't just throw an artic on a bus route. I'm not opposing it, but a few things stand in the way of that...

- Some parts of the S53 route are way too narrow , for example nea Grasmere train station

- (Not sure about this, but ) Castleton needs equipment to handle artic buses

I could be wrong though..

Yeah, I've had this discussion before about the narrow streets and such not just in Grasmere, but even along Broadway above Forest Avenue is very narrow, but there was anyway they could pull it off they should. Castleton will be rebuilt at some point too...

The S93 is fine the way it is BUT why should empty S93s run with plenty of room to Brooklyn while the S53s run crushloaded in the morning?? Either add an S83 to help out the S53 or divert some of the S93s... They'd still be making limited stops so it wouldn't add that much time. Furthermore, I lived by the S53 for years and it isn't like the added service isn't needed. The S53 needs all of the service it can get.

There's your solution. ;) It barely costs anything and helps people north of Victory Blvd as well. No need to slo things down for S93 riders when there's a simple solution.

Yeah, I've had this discussion before about the narrow streets and such not just in Grasmere, but even along Broadway above Forest Avenue is very narrow, but there was anyway they could pull it off they should. Castleton will be rebuilt at some point too...

Broadway north of Forest Avenue isn't too wide either. The only place you could realistically say it's wide would be north of Castleton Avenue.

In any case, it's probably easier to just add a little more service. Converting some S53s into S83s would add additional buses down Clove Road at little to no cost, and then if necessary, you could add more service from there, and it would be easier and cheaper than adding artics (because you have logistical issues and things like that to work out with artics)

In any case, it's probably easier to just add a little more service. Converting some S53s into S83s would add additional buses down Clove Road at little to no cost, and then if necessary, you could add more service from there, and it would be easier and cheaper than adding artics (because you have logistical issues and things like that to work out with artics)

As a short term solution yes, but if they're going to rebuild Castleton, they might as well make the depot artic friendly and put them on lines where they won't be a problem.

I'd like to comment on all of these, but google maps is loading unbelievably slow.... I'll have to get to these some other time.

Whichever route that is you have going from tottenville, en route to the west shore expwy, to serve the north shore, then en route to bayonne & ultimately EWR.... Sorry, but I don't see such a route generating too many riders.... This one stands out to me the most, as it's the one that resembles a fantasy route the most......

If that's not all one route, I apologize.

I'd like to comment on all of these, but google maps is loading unbelievably slow.... I'll have to get to these some other time.

Whichever route that is you have going from tottenville, en route to the west shore expwy, to serve the north shore, then en route to bayonne & ultimately EWR.... Sorry, but I don't see such a route generating too many riders.... This one stands out to me the most, as it's the one that resembles a fantasy route the most......

If that's not all one route, I apologize.

Well, basically, the West Shore Light Rail Line is supposed to follow the same path (at least south of Bayonne). So I figured that if a rail line would get decent ridership, a bus line would as well.

Also, the main idea was to fill in a few gaps. I've been complaining for a while about the gap in east-west service along the SIE service road, and I came up with that idea to fill it (and it would provide another connection between the North Shore and South Shore, saving people from having to backtrack all the way to Richmond Avenue). And then it would fill a gap on the South Shore (well, not really fill a gap, but it would free up the S55 to go out to Perth Amboy, instead of serving Bloomingdale Road). I figured that Bayonne would be a logical place to terminate the route, and it would also provide 7-day service to Bayonne (I don't think the S89 should run 7-day service because it would provide excess service along Richmond Avenue)

And then I realized there was no connection between Bayonne and Newark Airport. And whatever workers (or the occasional traveler trying to save money) would have to go all the way up to the PATH, take the PATH to Newark, and then take the #62 bus to Newark Airport, when a bus line could just jump right onto I-78 and get them there in half the time. So the main idea was to benefit Bayonne residents, but SI residents also get an easy ride to Newark Airport. If NJT ran that service on its own, I'd just say to leave the S82 at Bayonne.

But basically, my main concern was my immediate area, and that was the only way I could think of to provide 7-day east-west service in the area. I could extend the S93, but that would only cover rush hours (or at best, if those S62 short-turns were converted, we'd have some Saturday service), and then I thought of maybe bringing back the S67, but rerouting it to run along the service road, but again, that would only give us rush hour service.