Staten Island Bus Proposal Thread 2012-2013

FamousNYLover

Thats true, that whole area, Todt Hill, & all along Richmond Rd, only have the X15, which is Downtown. So, how does that work? When you get on the X15, do you say "I'm only going to Narrows & Hylan"? And then pay on your next bus?

Same thing I guess for the X14?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

lol... Staten Islanders as a whole are probably the only folks that transfer between express buses like that (or they just take an express bus within Staten Island and get off to avoid using the local bus or within Manhattan too) and I used to do it a lot as well.  Basically since there is no rule about dropping off during the pick-up segment, people will go wherever they need and get off as they please.  The B/O's out there unlike other parts of the city understand that the express bus network basically functions like your standard subway, and sometimes those express buses will act like a local bus since they may run through areas where there are no alternatives at all.  So for example, I used to transfer quite often from say the X13 or X16 over along the service road to the X1, X2, etc.  You simply ring the bell and the driver will let you off.  No announcements needed.  The big transfer point in particular is the one at Hylan and Narrows.  A lot of people will transfer there for various express buses.  Coming back to Staten Island should your bus ever go missing or break down (has happened to me before) and you need to transfer to another express bus on Staten Island, take any express bus that goes to Fingerboard Rd and transfer there.  There should be a bus stop that shows that as a transfer point.  There are a few others as well... One for the X10/11-X31 transfer. A second one that I've seen used (unofficially) is that second drop-off stop along the service road by Hylan Blvd., but I wouldn't chance that one, as it is best to transfer at Fingerboard.  You should have a transfer on your Metrocard so that you aren't charged again provided you haven't dipped elsewhere.

There are some other unofficial transfers that passengers have tried to create after some lines were cut.  One that I used to see after the X16 was eliminated was one lady would take the X14 to Forest and Clove and then try to get a X30 driver to stop and pick her up.  Sometimes she was lucky, other times they would pass her by since that is not a transfer point at all and never was, but she hated taking the S48 bus up by Silver Lake. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The S89 has gotten busy since It's first day of service.

As for ideas... many were said in the old Staten Island bus idea thread, but I'll still list something I got:

S79

I personally don't think it needs SBS. It should just run limited only during rush hours. The S59 and S78 would be local supplements.

The S79 Limited stops would be:

• 86 St/ 4 Av 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-R_svg.png Station
  • 86 St/ 5 Av
  • 92 St/ Fort Hamilton Pkwy
  • Narrows Rd/ Fingerboard Rd
  • Narrows Rd/ Hylan Blvd
  • Hylan Blvd/ Clove Rd
  • Hylan Blvd/ Seaview Av
  • Hylan Blvd/ Midland Av
  • Hylan Blvd/ New Dorp Lane
  • Hylan Blvd/ Tysens Lane
  • Hylan Blvd/ Nelson Av
  • Richmond Av/ Hylan Blvd
  • Richmond Av/ Eltingville SIR station
  • Eltingville Transit Center
Then all stops to the Staten Island Mall

My only other idea is for the S93

I would have it expanded to a full weekday route. It starts and ends the same hours. Midday headways would 30 minutes.

The route would also stay the same. I felt a few members asked for a little too much with all those S93 extensions and S83 this and that.

If the S93 ran all day, it would kill two birds with one stone:

• Take some crowding off the S53 and S62
  • Also give SI it's first Limited route to run during midday hours
And for peak or busy hours, put articulated buses for S74/84, and S59 buses. I was actually in the area yesterday night and it was crowded on the S79...

Shouldn't even be SBS. Half baked effort at including Richmond. I totally empathize with them. They've been left out too much.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

I signed up for alerts on workshops there and I haven't been contacted. In fact I haven't been contacted for any workshops I submitted my email to.

Riders Alliance also hasn't been keeping me in the loop. With the into I've gathered that's their loss. I always seemed out of place around them because of my scope.

And for peak or busy hours, put articulated buses for S74/84, and S59 buses. I was actually in the area yesterday night and it was crowded on the S79...

Ahahahaha! You clearly have no idea what Staten Islanders think about transit. Articulated buses would never make it to Staten Island even if they tried. They will never give up their parking spots ever, and the politicians will back them up.

Shouldn't even be SBS. Half baked effort at including Richmond. I totally empathize with them. They've been left out too much.

I signed up for alerts on workshops there and I haven't been contacted. In fact I haven't been contacted for any workshops I submitted my email to.

Riders Alliance also hasn't been keeping me in the loop. With the into I've gathered that's their loss. I always seemed out of place around them because of my scope.

LMAO... No words on any of this...

You really shouldn't be surprised that the S79 is crowded... Its the only route that goes from Brooklyn to mid-Staten Island. It's also (in my opinion) one of the few routes where SBS actually made a significant improvement. And artics on Staten would be an even worse idea than the whole "(E) loop to Court Square" proposal.

(shudders)

lol... Staten Islanders as a whole are probably the only folks that transfer between express buses like that (or they just take an express bus within Staten Island and get off to avoid using the local bus or within Manhattan too) and I used to do it a lot as well.  Basically since there is no rule about dropping off during the pick-up segment, people will go wherever they need and get off as they please.  The B/O's out there unlike other parts of the city understand that the express bus network basically functions like your standard subway, and sometimes those express buses will act like a local bus since they may run through areas where there are no alternatives at all.  So for example, I used to transfer quite often from say the X13 or X16 over along the service road to the X1, X2, etc.  You simply ring the bell and the driver will let you off.  No announcements needed.  The big transfer point in particular is the one at Hylan and Narrows.  A lot of people will transfer there for various express buses.  Coming back to Staten Island should your bus ever go missing or break down (has happened to me before) and you need to transfer to another express bus on Staten Island, take any express bus that goes to Fingerboard Rd and transfer there.  There should be a bus stop that shows that as a transfer point.  There are a few others as well... One for the X10/11-X31 transfer. A second one that I've seen used (unofficially) is that second drop-off stop along the service road by Hylan Blvd., but I wouldn't chance that one, as it is best to transfer at Fingerboard.  You should have a transfer on your Metrocard so that you aren't charged again provided you haven't dipped elsewhere.

There are some other unofficial transfers that passengers have tried to create after some lines were cut.  One that I used to see after the X16 was eliminated was one lady would take the X14 to Forest and Clove and then try to get a X30 driver to stop and pick her up.  Sometimes she was lucky, other times they would pass her by since that is not a transfer point at all and never was, but she hated taking the S48 bus up by Silver Lake. lol

Meant to write Forest and Manor Rd. not Clove Rd...

LMAO... No words on any of this...

I know. Just throwing my thoughts here. It seems there's a lot of headway in this thread.

I'll read through it first.

????Eric Shields | Mass Transit Honchkrow????

You really shouldn't be surprised that the S79 is crowded... Its the only route that goes from Brooklyn to mid-Staten Island. It's also (in my opinion) one of the few routes where SBS actually made a significant improvement. And artics on Staten would be an even worse idea than the whole "(E) loop to Court Square" proposal.

(shudders)

And when the (E) is rerouted via the (F) that proposal very much lives.

How? The (E) doesn't run anywhere on the (G) when it's rerouted on the (F). It still ends up terminating in Manhattan...

But getting back on topic, I'm wondering why some routes that have limited service from the ferry during the PM rush don't have limited service to the ferry during the AM rush (I.E. S74 local to / from St. George, and the S84 from St. George). I would propose that limited service be added in the AM, but I'm guessing the reason they don't currently have it in place is because there's more buses being used in the AM rush than there are in the PM rush (in general). Hopefully if Yukon, Castleton, and Charleston work some magic and gain more space to store buses, hopefully this can happen.

Edited by r142a 7795

1 plus 1 doesn't equal 3.... In case you don't get the analogy, I'll be blunt.

You exude some sense of awe about seeing crowding on the S79....

...and your suggestion to perhaps quell that, is to have artics on the S74/84 & the S59 ???

Putting artics on the S74/84 & the S59 wouldn't do squat for the S79, due to the fact that neither of those 2 aforementioned routes would aid in transporting the vast majority of the passengers that are crowding S79's in the first place.... By the time buses hit Hylan Blvd after having came from the mall, the majority of the riders are heading to Brooklyn... Riders boarding on Hylan itself also fit this bill....

As far as your reason behind the S79 shouldn't even be (being) an SBS route, I'll simply put it like this.... You're empathizing with much of nobody - as those patrons of the area (and anyone else that rides) along Richmond knows that that portion of the route is, and was already a quick corridor well before the SBS conversion to the route.....

Edited by B35 via Church

You also have that happening in Queens for people transferring to the QM11 and people switching the branch they are traveling to. ie 6th to 3rd, or Downtown Loop. I think the most common is the QM6 to QM7/8 

Ahahahaha! You clearly have no idea what Staten Islanders think about transit. Articulated buses would never make it to Staten Island even if they tried. They will never give up their parking spots ever, and the politicians will back them up.

Believe it or not, some MTA representatives came to a community board meeting and asked for ideas, and a few people suggested using articulated buses on certain routes. Guess who was immediately against it.......yours truly.  ;)

Why? Because articulated buses almost always mean less frequent service. The guidelines call for service to be reduced (except when headways are 15 minutes or greater) when artics are introduced. And it's not like we have Bx12-style or B46-style headways on most of our routes.

(shudders)

AFAIC, they could've accomplished the same thing by calling it a limited and doing the same thing it does now, but I guess they wouldn't have gotten the federal funds for the bus lanes or whatever.

But getting back on topic, I'm wondering why some routes that have limited service from the ferry during the PM rush don't have limited service to the ferry during the AM rush (I.E. S74 local to / from St. George, and the S84 from St. George). I would propose that limited service be added in the AM, but I'm guessing the reason they don't currently have it in place is because there's more buses being used in the AM rush than there are in the PM rush (in general). Hopefully if Yukon, Castleton, and Charleston work some magic and gain more space to store buses, hopefully this can happen.

It has nothing to do with the number of buses available. Limited-stop service actually allows you to use fewer buses because B/Os get done with their trips quicker.

Basically, in the PM rush, all the buses wait for the ferry, so on those routes, you need two buses waiting to handle the loads from the ferry. Instead of running both local, one becomes a limited.

In the AM rush, I think they're afraid that you'll have a long gap between local buses (especially on the S74). Of course, the opposite is also true (limiteds can help alleviate bunching because if the limited starts falling behind schedule, it's not making that many stops, so it has a better shot at getting back on schedule, or at least not getting delayed any further). 

Part of it also has to do with the SIR schedule (with the SIR, express trains run express New Dorp-St. George in the AM, but St. George-Great Kills in the PM). In the AM rush, it's a lot quicker for Oakwood Beach/New Dorp Beach riders to take the S76 to New Dorp and then take the SIR, whereas in the PM rush, you'll probably end up on the same bus you would've caught at St. George anyway)

On the North Shore in general, I think there's a decent number of stops that could be eliminated/consolidated to achieve better spacing. Some of the stops, you'll be stopping the bus for one person, and then a block later stopping for another person, and before you know it, the bus misses the ferry. People always throw out the whole senior argument, but really, there's a point where you just have to keep the buses moving.

You also have that happening in Queens for people transferring to the QM11 and people switching the branch they are traveling to. ie 6th to 3rd, or Downtown Loop. I think the most common is the QM6 to QM7/8 

This.

From any express bus route, you can transfer to any other express route for free.

It has nothing to do with the number of buses available. Limited-stop service actually allows you to use fewer buses because B/Os get done with their trips quicker.

Basically, in the PM rush, all the buses wait for the ferry, so on those routes, you need two buses waiting to handle the loads from the ferry. Instead of running both local, one becomes a limited.

In the AM rush, I think they're afraid that you'll have a long gap between local buses (especially on the S74). Of course, the opposite is also true (limiteds can help alleviate bunching because if the limited starts falling behind schedule, it's not making that many stops, so it has a better shot at getting back on schedule, or at least not getting delayed any further). 

Part of it also has to do with the SIR schedule (with the SIR, express trains run express New Dorp-St. George in the AM, but St. George-Great Kills in the PM). In the AM rush, it's a lot quicker for Oakwood Beach/New Dorp Beach riders to take the S76 to New Dorp and then take the SIR, whereas in the PM rush, you'll probably end up on the same bus you would've caught at St. George anyway)

On the North Shore in general, I think there's a decent number of stops that could be eliminated/consolidated to achieve better spacing. Some of the stops, you'll be stopping the bus for one person, and then a block later stopping for another person, and before you know it, the bus misses the ferry. People always throw out the whole senior argument, but really, there's a point where you just have to keep the buses moving.

Got it. That actually makes a bit more sense than what I was thinking. Thanks!

How? The (E) doesn't run anywhere on the (G) when it's rerouted on the (F). It still ends up terminating in Manhattan...

I was talking about the shuttle loop between Queens Plaza & Ely Ave - 23rd Street...

1 plus 1 doesn't equal 3.... In case you don't get the analogy, I'll be blunt.

You exude some sense of awe about seeing crowding on the S79....

...and your suggestion to perhaps quell that, is to have artics on the S74/84 & the S59 ???

That was a reference error. I'll correct it shortly.

Putting artics on the S74/84 & the S59 wouldn't do squat for the S79, due to the fact that neither of those 2 aforementioned routes would aid in transporting the vast majority of the passengers that are crowding S79's in the first place.... By the time buses hit Hylan Blvd after having came from the mall, the majority of the riders are heading to Brooklyn... Riders boarding on Hylan itself also fit this bill....

My concern was peak shopping hours. Artics full time would be a wasted effort.

As far as your reason behind the S79 shouldn't even be (being) an SBS route, I'll simply put it like this.... You're empathizing with much of nobody - as those patrons of the area (and anyone else that rides) along Richmond knows that that portion of the route is, and was already a quick corridor well before the SBS conversion to the route.....

It's overkill. The route is efficient and gets shoppers and commuters alike through Hylan at breakneck efficiency.

Without side payment mechs it's designation is improper...and it's sometimes crowded because of dead weight (when pax pay $0 in fare without proper exemption decals). I'm not saying ops shouldn't be lenient, but buses shouldn't be crowded with non paying pax.

This has backfired in the past. Wasn't long ago that an op was slugged on Nostrand & Ave D. I do business six blocks away...

Yes I'm familiar with the Union Turnpike set up, but outside of that I don't think it's that common.  Staten Island by far has the most transferring going on between express buses.

I was talking about the shuttle loop between Queens Plaza & Ely Ave - 23rd Street...

I originally brought it up as a comparison to your suggestion of putting articulated buses on Staten Island, but what you said was:

[quote name="MassTransitHonchkrow" post="890015" timestamp="1470790162"

Which in no way corresponds to what I said. I said that artics on Staten would be an even worse idea than the (E) looping around to Court Sq, and you say that when the (E) runs via the (F), that proposal very much lives. First off, that statement is wrong as the (E) being rerouted via the (F) doesn't involve any kind of loop whatsoever, and second, it completely ignored what my post was saying.

But whatever, moving on...

I originally brought it up as a comparison to your suggestion of putting articulated buses on Staten Island, but what you said was:

Which in no way corresponds to what I said. I said that artics on Staten would be an even worse idea than the (E) looping around to Court Sq, and you say that when the (E) runs via the (F), that proposal very much lives. First off, that statement is wrong as the (E) being rerouted via the (F) doesn't involve any kind of loop whatsoever, and second, it completely ignored what my post was saying.

You adulterated the quote. That isn't what I posted. Those are two trains of thought on different threads.

Maybe my feed needs to be reordered so that I reply sequentially.

I apologize for any confusion this may cause.

When quoting, don't forget the

gesture. It won't appear as my quote if it's adulterated.

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow

You adulterated the quote. That isn't what I posted.

Let's go to the tape shall we?

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

(shudders)

You adulterated the quote. That isn't what I posted. Those are two trains of thought on different threads.

Maybe my feed needs to be reordered so that I reply sequentially.

I apologize for any confusion this may cause.

When quoting, don't forget the

gesture. It won't appear as my quote if it's adulterated.

I'm using my iPad so maybe that's why the quotes showed up all weird (which has never happened before so I'm not exactly sure why it did now), but I didn't "adulterated" anything as Around the Horn showed above.

I wasn't trying to tie in the S79. I only ment the bit about the shuttle loop.

When (E) service is rerouted via the (F) shuttles connect Court Square with Queens Plaza & 21st Street.

The quotes are all mashed up and adulterated, apart from user error. I don't blame you, the system is misconstruing who is who.

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow

The quotes are all mashed up and adulterated, apart from user error. I don't blame you, the system is misconstruing who is who.

Where is the system misconstruing who is who? Let's face it. You made an analogy which does not make sense given the context of the conversation and now you can't own it. It's childish.

Where is the system misconstruing who is who? Let's face it. You made an analogy which does not make sense given the context of the conversation and now you can't own it. It's childish.

I know that. I'm no longer holding on to that.

I'm on a data entry mindset not a get even one. Something hiccupped.

If I dragged on about things too long I'd get gray hairs. There IS a reason I joined this forum. I used to hate getting checked but for personal & professional growth it is necessary.

That was a reference error. I'll correct it shortly.

My concern was peak shopping hours. Artics full time would be a wasted effort.

You mention a reference error.... So what were you referring to then, when you spoke of artics? The S79?

It's overkill. The route is efficient and gets shoppers and commuters alike through Hylan at breakneck efficiency.

Without side payment mechs it's designation is improper...and it's sometimes crowded because of dead weight (when pax pay $0 in fare without proper exemption decals). I'm not saying ops shouldn't be lenient, but buses shouldn't be crowded with non paying pax.

This has backfired in the past. Wasn't long ago that an op was slugged on Nostrand & Ave D. I do business six blocks away...

Don't know what you're talking about in the last two paragraphs/segments & I'm not going to bother deciphering it.... Seems like some sort of deflection, but be there as it may:

What I addressed in that part of the reply (that this snippet of your reply is in response to), is that bit about Richmond (av) riders being "left out too much" & something about a half baked effort including Richmond.... It's giving off the implication that SBS on the S79 shouldn't exist, b/c of some shortcoming on that portion of the route..... Now SBS is overkill?

How could the S79 SBS be overkill if there's this feeling of empathy out of you regarding Richmond rd being left out?

What it's saying is that the SBS does an incomplete job, but it's overkill at the same time.... Um, what??

Your claims here aren't consistent with your conclusions - Which is why I say 1 plus 1 doesn't equal three....

As far as the route's efficiency, yeah, it's efficient now...

Before SBS, Hardly.... Yeah it always picked up a ton of pax, but it used to lag like crazy.... Hell, at times, the freakin S78 used to move faster along Hylan (b/c it picked up less people & made less stops).... I used to abhor taking S79's back to Brooklyn, seeing NB S78's leave us in the dust..... Now that the S79 makes less stops, that's not the case anymore.....

The S79 SBS is one of the very few cases where converting the route, wasn't overkill.....

You mention a reference error.... So what were you referring to then, when you spoke of artics? The S79?

Don't know what you're talking about in the last two paragraphs/segments & I'm not going to bother deciphering it.... Seems like some sort of deflection, but be there as it may:

What I addressed in that part of the reply (that this snippet of your reply is in response to), is that bit about Richmond (av) riders being "left out too much" & something about a half baked effort including Richmond.... It's giving off the implication that SBS on the S79 shouldn't exist, b/c of some shortcoming on that portion of the route..... Now SBS is overkill?

How could the S79 SBS be overkill if there's this feeling of empathy out of you regarding Richmond rd being left out?

What it's saying is that the SBS does an incomplete job, but it's overkill at the same time.... Um, what??

Your claims here aren't consistent with your conclusions - Which is why I say 1 plus 1 doesn't equal three....

As far as the route's efficiency, yeah, it's efficient now...

Before SBS, Hardly.... Yeah it always picked up a ton of pax, but it used to lag like crazy.... Hell, at times, the freakin S78 used to move faster along Hylan (b/c it picked up less people & made less stops).... I used to abhor taking S79's back to Brooklyn, seeing NB S78's leave us in the dust..... Now that the S79 makes less stops, that's not the case anymore.....

The S79 SBS is one of the very few cases where converting the route, wasn't overkill.....

There should be separate pay pads. SBS isn't the issue. It's the "okay if half done" nature of MTA projects. For all the thinking done behind the scenes they're still not customer centric.

And if I extend sympathy, no borough is note shambled than Queens. Now that's where the complaints really flare up.