Staten Island Bus Proposal Thread 2012-2013

FamousNYLover

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There are politics with most agencies.  That said, the (MTA) is looking to lower costs, not add to them by running buses into other states.  Additionally, I don't think too many Staten Island elected officials are pushing for such connections, not enough to get anything done anyway.  Staten Island is still very car centric, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

It's hilarious... Years ago when I was living there, I noticed I gained a few pounds, in part because I was getting in cars when I was on the island and not walking.  

Between stress (my father was in hospice in California, and I worked for two shitheads, pardon my English) and walking up the Hamilton Av mountain, I lost hella weight being on SI.

But what I wouldn’t give for a bus over the Bayonne to Walmart - even if it’s hourly. I imagine they’d need an artic just because of the ridership that’d go there just for the groceries ($125 at ShopRite = $90-100 at Walmart).

But you know I feel like the entire Metro area should have better links to areas that aren’t in BdB’s jurisdictions. And with SI - since so many of us go to Jersey vs Manhattan, it could be a potential growth area for (MTA) and possibly (NJT). Definitely could make the air better on both sides.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There are politics with most agencies.  That said, the (MTA) is looking to lower costs, not add to them by running buses into other states.  Additionally, I don't think too many Staten Island elected officials are pushing for such connections, not enough to get anything done anyway.  Staten Island is still very car centric, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

It's hilarious... Years ago when I was living there, I noticed I gained a few pounds, in part because I was getting in cars when I was on the island and not walking.  

It will be looked at closely when it comes time to do the Staten Island local redesign. The planner said that was the number one request that came up during the public feedback sessions

5 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

It will be looked at closely when it comes time to do the Staten Island local redesign. The planner said that was the number one request that came up during the public feedback sessions

Well if they do it, I expect them to cut something somewhere else. Byford is on record as saying that they are operating with a "shoe string" budget. 

Days 12345 - Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri (for purposes of this thread)

One thing I would propose for the S93---based on actual observations:

On the trips before a change in schedule (CSI class time starts on weekdays are: 8 AM, 10:10 AM, 12:20 PM, 2:30 PM (135), 4:40 PM (1234), and 6:30 PM (1234)). Even with ramping bus service to no worse than 12 minutes (scheduled), you have the problem of buses leaving Bay Ridge crush-loaded, meaning they cannot accept any passengers intra-island. Taking advantage of the higher speed cap on the blue-and-yellow LFS buses (45 mph as opposed to 40 mph for the rest of the fleet), I would propose creating S93X trips...with the first stop in Staten Island being at Targee Street, bypassing Fingerboard Road and St. John's Avenue (passengers for those stops could use the S79 SBS instead). Here, a regular S93 trip would start at Fingerboard Road as a deadhead off of another route, to provide intra-island service. These local trips would replace the regular S93 trips that depart Bay Ridge at: 9:22 AM, 11:22 AM, 1:34 PM (135), 3:46 PM (1234), and 5:34 PM (1234).

Also, I would propose limited Saturday service on the S93, running from 7 AM (Bay Ridge departure) to 5 PM, with departures at 7 AM and 7:30 AM, and then every 45 minutes afterward until 5:15 PM being the last Bay Ridge departure (CSI departs 45 minutes later).

5 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Days 12345 - Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri (for purposes of this thread)

One thing I would propose for the S93---based on actual observations:

On the trips before a change in schedule (CSI class time starts on weekdays are: 8 AM, 10:10 AM, 12:20 PM, 2:30 PM (135), 4:40 PM (1234), and 6:30 PM (1234)). Even with ramping bus service to no worse than 12 minutes (scheduled), you have the problem of buses leaving Bay Ridge crush-loaded, meaning they cannot accept any passengers intra-island. Taking advantage of the higher speed cap on the blue-and-yellow LFS buses (45 mph as opposed to 40 mph for the rest of the fleet), I would propose creating S93X trips...with the first stop in Staten Island being at Targee Street, bypassing Fingerboard Road and St. John's Avenue (passengers for those stops could use the S79 SBS instead). Here, a regular S93 trip would start at Fingerboard Road as a deadhead off of another route, to provide intra-island service. These local trips would replace the regular S93 trips that depart Bay Ridge at: 9:22 AM, 11:22 AM, 1:34 PM (135), 3:46 PM (1234), and 5:34 PM (1234).

Also, I would propose limited Saturday service on the S93, running from 7 AM (Bay Ridge departure) to 5 PM, with departures at 7 AM and 7:30 AM, and then every 45 minutes afterward until 5:15 PM being the last Bay Ridge departure (CSI departs 45 minutes later).

There should be S93X trips that run nonstop from CSI (front gate in addition to 1A building) to/from 92nd Street/Fort Hamilton Parkway. 

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

There should be S93X trips that run nonstop from CSI (front gate in addition to 1A building) to/from 92nd Street/Fort Hamilton Parkway. 

If the fleet was not capped at 40 mph (45 mph for the blue-yellow LFS buses), I'd agree with that, but those buses would be a hazard on the road coming into and out of Sunnyside. When frequencies were much less, I once ended up on an S93 told to go straight to the college---it was terrible capped at 40 mph on the SI Expressway.

45 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

If the fleet was not capped at 40 mph (45 mph for the blue-yellow LFS buses), I'd agree with that, but those buses would be a hazard on the road coming into and out of Sunnyside. When frequencies were much less, I once ended up on an S93 told to go straight to the college---it was terrible capped at 40 mph on the SI Expressway.

Then uncap them lol ... in any case, I've seen plenty of local buses using the SIE to deadhead to/from Brooklyn (usually to/from Castleton Depot)...they manage, and it helps that they're traveling in the reverse-peak direction.

Technically the speed limit for buses in the HOV is 35 mph, so it's no worse than being stuck behind a bus driver going by the book. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been asking for them to add a couple of stops between Barclay & Luten (since the area is sparsely populated, but people do live there). If they do that, then this will be an excellent change: https://www.silive.com/news/2020/01/academy-bus-sim24-express-bus-to-start-using-outerbridge-park-and-ride.html?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=statenislandadvance_sf&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3TJmpiln6WykTvD88YC6-amDH3WTQilmGCNh6FfvujS05CGI2Z-k5fcQk

@BM5 via Woodhaven @SIMplicity

9 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I've been asking for them to add a couple of stops between Barclay & Luten (since the area is sparsely populated, but people do live there). If they do that, then this will be an excellent change: https://www.silive.com/news/2020/01/academy-bus-sim24-express-bus-to-start-using-outerbridge-park-and-ride.html?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=statenislandadvance_sf&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3TJmpiln6WykTvD88YC6-amDH3WTQilmGCNh6FfvujS05CGI2Z-k5fcQk

@BM5 via Woodhaven @SIMplicity

I don't follow..... How would filling that gap b/w Luten & Barclay bolster, or further justify the decision of having buses serve the P&R?

23 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I don't follow..... How would filling that gap b/w Luten & Barclay bolster, or further justify the decision of having buses serve the P&R?

I personally don't care about the park & ride, but being that the SIM23 deadheaded through that area (which is far from an express bus stop, and a dangerous walk) I was pushing to have it extended to Hylan & Huguenot. The fact that they decided to have the SIM23 be the sole route in that area, and divert the SIM24 to Outerbridge P&R is fine, but the SIM23 needs to have stops in that area so people have a safe way to reach it (they could obviously take the local bus, but if the express bus passes through, why not make it reasonably accessible?)

6 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I personally don't care about the park & ride, but being that the SIM23 deadheaded through that area (which is far from an express bus stop, and a dangerous walk) I was pushing to have it extended to Hylan & Huguenot. The fact that they decided to have the SIM23 be the sole route in that area, and divert the SIM24 to Outerbridge P&R is fine, but the SIM23 needs to have stops in that area so people have a safe way to reach it (they could obviously take the local bus, but if the express bus passes through, why not make it reasonably accessible?)

You made it sound like filling that gap would make Academy's decision to run buses to the P&R somehow better, which made no sense to me (hence the question)... More often than not, I'd see more NJ plates in there than I did NY ones anyway.... The fact that they're prioritizing the P&R over filling that gap tells me all I need to know....

I didn't care for the whole network revamp in the South Shore in general & that gap you're speaking of, is one of many reasons why....

2 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

OT, but that might just be insurance fraud.

Small minority IMO...

I used to get a kick out of SI-ers on SI live feeling some type of way about NJ folks *using their services*.... Hell, I personally knew a former co-worker from Edison that drove into SI to take the old x22.... NJ patrons driving into SI to catch express buses is definitely an ongoing phenomenon..... I wouldn't do that shit if I moved out to central Jersey, but at the same time, I don't necessarily blame them for doing it though either, to be honest...

44 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church A year-and-a-half into this redesign, and that isolated portion of SE Annadale will finally have express bus service. A new SIM23 stop at Hylan & Poillon will take effect January 21st (the signs are already up)

Yeah well with you, Alex, Filippa and myself all in agreement in that e-mail, I’d say the response was quick. Bus stop signage was up with lightning speed.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Per this article. Tottenville to Newark Airport SBS bus study. 

https://thecity.nyc/2020/03/mta-floats-staten-island-high-speed-busway-to-newark-airport.html

Thoughts???

That would definitely make interstate travel easier. I’d personally say it should stop in Perth Amboy, so there could be a connection with (NJT)’s NJCL. Thoughts on that?

6 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

That would definitely make interstate travel easier. I’d personally say it should stop in Perth Amboy, so there could be a connection with (NJT)’s NJCL. Thoughts on that?

Unless the environmental bus study takes place nothing is moving and it’s all talk.

With regards to a Perth Amboy stop to connect to the coastline. I’m not 100% with familiarity of this part of 440. However, in recent weeks (NJT) is in talks of revitalizing the 440 corridor with extension of light rail service. Which could help with (MTA) and (NJT) services.  Staten Island and Jersey are very close enough. However, bureaucratic things get in the way of improvements. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Per this article. Tottenville to Newark Airport SBS bus study. 

https://thecity.nyc/2020/03/mta-floats-staten-island-high-speed-busway-to-newark-airport.html

Thoughts???

Singularly, Tottenville is a PITA to get to..... Something like this pretty much has to emanate from ETC to even have a chance...... Even then, I still don't think it would be worth it.

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Singularly, Tottenville is a PITA to get to..... Something like this pretty much has to emanate from ETC to even have a chance...... Even then, I still don't think it would be worth it.

All they have to do is run an hourly SIM8 via Newark Airport. Why is a massive study needed for that?

3 hours ago, JAzumah said:

All they have to do is run an hourly SIM8 via Newark Airport. Why is a massive study needed for that?

The MTA brass needs a massive study to figure out how to tie their own shoelaces.

Anyway, anyone willing to pay express bus fares to ride from (anywhere in) Staten Island to EWR deserves to be taken for one....