The new camera

overclocked

Well I have finally built enough trust for my new camera to take it to the fanning trip with me.

Beginning with the closest station.

7625985660_d34c8031ff_z.jpg

Unpatriotic train

7625982058_3c212cbb26_z.jpg

Last Shipshead pic

7625977908_3bd7fcb4c1_z.jpg

Moving on to Broadway

7625971144_9c17ac2e58_z.jpg

7625967316_93aab6b57f_z.jpg

7625962596_ee711a3f27_z.jpg

7625855938_2dda2070a9_z.jpg

7625937086_d4d8a0d7f4_z.jpg

Cross Town!!!

7625925588_a143ef9b9d_z.jpg

7625921540_875a8b9ae5_z.jpg

I like the curvature of this station

7625918302_fae8f3254c_z.jpg

7625907530_88406f7da7_z.jpg

IMO the best station on the line and mezzanine is nice too

7625914808_c53a1c20b6_z.jpg

7625910828_c50cff28ef_z.jpg

Moving on to Canarsie, man this line is fast.

7625903412_d1a7e209ee_z.jpg

7625899614_c5073677ca_z.jpg

7625894940_edd820b0ca_z.jpg

7625891336_db779ec8ec_z.jpg

7625887570_67dd1c642b_z.jpg

7625882916_d7b0da277a_z.jpg

7625878310_2ec0aa9905_z.jpg

If it wasn't for different names, I could have mistaken those two stations, shooting with similar angle doesn't help either.

7625874328_d5cd2da212_z.jpg

7625870328_a118e6ea62_z.jpg

7625958524_b0f7378734_z.jpg

7625950410_469f502c52_z.jpg

Ok, enough of Canarsie for now, moving on to Astoria!!!

7625866048_0b596cfd8a_z.jpg

7625863014_f11aca6123_z.jpg

This place reminds me of snake in the grass, only here it is no snake, its multi-tonn beast.

7625859556_1bb570344f_z.jpg

Any opinion would be very much appreciated.

P.S. holy smokes I have reached the limit on flickr, so won't be able to upload anything until the beginning of August :angry:

Woah, your pictures are so nice and clear with full detail! I see two home lines of mine (Astoria/Broadway and Canarsie) :D

Thank you, too bad I didn't get any of your home stations

Great pics! That's some real good quality right there. What camera did you get? I'm getting a Canon EOS Rebel T2i tomorrow or Tuesday.

If your budget allows for non-stock lens, then I would get more expensive lens and the body separately

The (G) train in your photos came out really good.

I was surprised too, because I didn't expect that lighting of X-town stations would be that good.

Some good pics, I can tell you're using a lens that isn't the kit lens... an f/2.8 aperture in one of your underground shots gives it away!

You got me, i didn't even bother getting stock lens.

Excellent shots! But I feel that many of your underground shots are underexposed. Don't be afraid to jack up the ISO! The D5100 should deliver excellent quality with ISO 1600 and even with ISO 3200.

By the way, are you shooting RAW with this camera as well?

So which lens do ya have?

Also, excellent photos :)

Thank you, the lens is sigma 17-50mm f/2.8

Excellent shots! But I feel that many of your underground shots are underexposed. Don't be afraid to jack up the ISO! The D5100 should deliver excellent quality with ISO 1600 and even with ISO 3200.

By the way, are you shooting RAW with this camera as well?

RAW all the way, spent ~4 hours editing. For some reason I don't even remember i do not go beyond 1000 iso. The other thing is I am having problem is train's front lights, they over expose the center but leave the corners dark, even UV filter doesn't help, plus I hate that some T/Os blast the horn at me.

Thanks for recommendations, I will share once my flickr unlocks

Thank you, the lens is sigma 17-50mm f/2.8

RAW all the way, spent ~4 hours editing. For some reason I don't even remember i do not go beyond 1000 iso. The other thing is I am having problem is train's front lights, they over expose the center but leave the corners dark, even UV filter doesn't help, plus I hate that some T/Os blast the horn at me.

Thanks for recommendations, I will share once my flickr unlocks

I always shoot in RAW on my Canon as well, I too also use a lens other than the kit lens that came with the camera, much better quality. Wish I had something that was a little more open than f/3.5 though, but the image quality on Canon's 15-85mm EF-S USM is top-notch

I always shoot in RAW on my Canon as well, I too also use a lens other than the kit lens that came with the camera, much better quality. Wish I had something that was a little more open than f/3.5 though, but the image quality on Canon's 15-85mm EF-S USM is top-notch

The only drawback of good lens is their price, often higher than the price of the camera.

Great shots!

Thanks

Great! I was hoping for some videos..

Sorry I usually do not do videos.

That's understandable, since point-and-shoots have trouble maintaining quality at moderate to high levels of ISO. Until I get a DSLR or mirrorless camera, I am really limited with what pictures I can take.

Hmm, if that is the case then maybe you should take advantage of the D5100's Active D-Lighting. It will expose the shadows while keeping the highlights in check. The D5100 has five levels, to give the photographer more freedom and flexibility. Experiment with it in several situations, and you might find the results much better than if Active D-Lighting is off. There will be noise, of course, but not much. However, using high ISO could reveal even more noise, so maybe use some noise supression as well or lower the ISO. Also, if you have the opportunity, experiment with/buy a polarizer. It may help you on that particular situation as well, according to my knowledge of what it does. But you might want to ask error/tvega on NYCTF for more info, as they both use a polarizer.

So amazing. I gotta get my tripod and take some photos!

Thanks, but I would be careful with tripod since it is against the code of conduct.

The (G) dosen't get enough love! Y U NO FAN MYRTLE-WHILL??

:lol:

Great pics!

Thanks, what is so special about Myrtle Willoughby aves?

That's understandable, since point-and-shoots have trouble maintaining quality at moderate to high levels of ISO. Until I get a DSLR or mirrorless camera, I am really limited with what pictures I can take.

Hmm, if that is the case then maybe you should take advantage of the D5100's Active D-Lighting. It will expose the shadows while keeping the highlights in check. The D5100 has five levels, to give the photographer more freedom and flexibility. Experiment with it in several situations, and you might find the results much better than if Active D-Lighting is off. There will be noise, of course, but not much. However, using high ISO could reveal even more noise, so maybe use some noise supression as well or lower the ISO. Also, if you have the opportunity, experiment with/buy a polarizer. It may help you on that particular situation as well, according to my knowledge of what it does. But you might want to ask error/tvega on NYCTF for more info, as they both use a polarizer.

This really should help, thank you for advice(s)

Whoops! Sorry about this, overclocked, but disregard the Active D-Lighting suggestion. I have forgotten that Active D-Lighting only works when shooting in JPEG.

In that case the mystery of why it looks brighter on camera' screen than on monitor is solved. Anyway I turned the feature off, I am eager to try out higher ISO. Unfortunately as of now I'm sick and won't be able to try out these methods.

I'm highly impressed just for the fact that you went all over the system! Nice work, plus the shots are beautiful!

Thank you, because I have very little free time, I got to make the most of it. That is why on weekends I usually fan all day long. If everything goes well, next will be Concourse, Myrtle and Nassau.

Archived