Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lance

NCAA Comes Down Hard on Penn State

Guest Lance

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

Just the highlights:

1) Penn State has been fined $60 million.

2) All wins from '98 to 2011 will be forfeited, meaning Paterno is not the coach with the most wins in college football anymore.

3) The school is banned from 4-bowl games.

4) The number of scholarships that can be accepted from Penn State is now 15, dropped from 25.

Wow!! I think that's a bit harsh... What does what happened on the football field have to do with the sex scandal? Paterno should not be held responsible for someone else's actions. The focus should be on that douchebag Sandusky.

• Upvote 1

That's ridiculous. All of this from a sex scandal. Honestly it isn't fair for upcoming players that want to be in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

Wow!! I think that's a bit harsh... What does what happened on the football field have to do with the sex scandal? Paterno should not be held responsible for someone else's actions. The focus should be on that douchebag Sandusky.

Did you not follow the Freeh report VG8? Freeh a former FBI Director was hired by penn state to invgest the suspected cover up? No one saying Paterno did the crimes but he along with then PSU pres to covered up Sandusky. Thus to prevent the Sandusky from becoming public.

That's ridiculous. All of this from a sex scandal. Honestly it isn't fair for upcoming players that want to be in the NFL.

tvega. the penn state players are allowed to transfer to other school without having to sit a season. PSU did deserve a punishment. Aside from the post season ban/loss of scholarship the $60 Million fine and Paterno being stripped of the victories between the 1998-2011season IMO is fair sanctions.

With that said, not to go off topic the NFL should just have a damn minor league system like baseball and hockey. You would lower the amount of corruption in all of ncaa football. That for another discussion though.

• Upvote 1

Did you not follow the Freeh report VG8? Freeh a former FBI Director was hired by penn state to invgest the suspected cover up? No one saying Paterno did the crimes but he along with then PSU pres to covered up Sandusky. Thus to prevent the Sandusky from becoming public.

I'm sorry but Paterno was not the one responsible for it. Sandusky did these actions and he is the one that should be punished. What good is stripping Joe Paterno going to do when the guy is dead? He suffered enough being fired. I say let the man rest in peace. That should've been the end of it and if anything, give them the $60 million fine and be done with it. Lowering the amount of scholarships and bowl games hurts the students the most.

As for the alleged "cover up", I mean the guy was Paterno's co-worker who he has known for years. Any decent co-worker would look to protect their co-worker when things like this break out. It's only natural.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I'm sorry but Paterno was not the one responsible for it. Sandusky did these actions and he is the one that should be punished. What good is stripping Joe Paterno going to do when the guy is dead? He suffered enough being fired. I say let the man rest in peace. That should've been the end of it and if anything, give them the $60 million fine and be done with it. Lowering the amount of scholarships and bowl games hurts the students the most.

As for the alleged "cover up", I mean the guy was Paterno's co-worker who he has known for years. Any decent co-worker would look to protect their co-worker when things like this break out. It's only natural.

Vg8 what about the suspected cover up? If Paterno (allegdly) had not defend sandusky, kids would been saved. So yes it does involved Paterno. Even if he dead there were dozens to wintesses who worked with Paterno who spoke in Freeh report.I think VG8 is defending Paterno because he a fellow Italian.

Vg8 what about the suspected cover up? If Paterno (allegdly) had not defend sandusky, kids would been saved. So yes it does involved Paterno. Even if he dead there were dozens to wintesses who worked with Paterno who spoke in Freeh report.I think VG8 is defending Paterno because he a fellow Italian.

Personally I not saying Paterno should goes to jail. The firing and removal of both of the statue and wins as coach in last 15 years is fair enough sanctions. And Paterno had a chance when scandal broke for 3 months before he died to defend himself.

lol... Well I have a soft spot for him as fellow paisan, but still. The man worked so hard and so long at Penn State. I just think it's a shame for him to be treated this way after what he has done not only for Penn State but for college football. I mean I'm sorry but you can't sit here and tell me that if Paterno helped in a cover up that no one else was involved either.

lol... Well I have a soft spot for him as fellow paisan, but still. The man worked so hard and so long at Penn State. I just think it's a shame for him to be treated this way after what he has done not only for Penn State but for college football. I mean I'm sorry but you can't sit here and tell me that if Paterno helped in a cover up that no one else was involved either.

And should only Sandusky shuld be punshied? Vg8 you dont even follow college football who do you know Paterno was not involved in the cover up? He had 3 months to defend himself (sorry i made mistype before in saying 5 months)before he died. What about the college President of the time?

Good punishment for covering things up..that university is garbage.

And should only Sandusky shuld be punshied? Vg8 you dont even follow college football who do you know Paterno was not involved in the cover up? He had 3 months to defend himself (sorry i made mistype before in saying 5 months)before he died. What about the college President of the time?

Of course not. I'm just saying that Paterno shouldn't be made out to be the only one involved. All folks involved should be punished, but I think Paterno being fired should've been good enough. I'm sure the man suffered enough after being humiliated like that at the end of his career. There is no lesson learned by stripping a dead guy of wins.

Of course not. I'm just saying that Paterno shouldn't be made out to be the only one involved. All folks involved should be punished, but I think Paterno being fired should've been good enough. I'm sure the man suffered enough after being humiliated like that at the end of his career. There is no lesson learned by stripping a dead guy of wins.

I do agree with you to point VG8, that the media has overlooked at the suspected cover up not focusing more on Paterno's bosses the PSU President, etc. With that said, i do think Paterno deserves *some* blame in defending his former friend/co-worker and not taking serious the horrible crimes of Sandusky. IMO Paterno age/declining health i.e he was already in his 70's by 1999-2000, also played a role in this horrible raping to continue for all these years. Plus he had made his assistants almost like co-coaches.

Not making an excuse for Paterno but calling it like it is. What also saves Paterno from being arrested(If he was still alive) is at the time state of PA. did not have laws in which school officals including colleges must report to police any suspected sexual abuse of children asap.

Again the removal of the Paterno statue, being fired and loss of his wins is a fair punishment for his lack of judgement.

I wonder why they "store" the Paterno statue in a safe place instead of selling it to some billionaire dude for a million.

This is one thing I don't like about the NCAA... when they impose penalties on universities, the players are also affected somehow..... telling players that they can transfer to some other school w/o penalty is much ado about nothin....... graduating from a certain alum matters a LOT to a lot of people.....

The 60 million over 5 years is justified.... thing is though, it won't affect penn state all that much; according to ESPN, they bring in 12M in 2 games.....How about taking money away from paterno's account/estate/whatever, sandusky (since he's still alive), and whoever else was involved......

Vacating wins..... see, they can still take away (total) wins from paterno, instead of taking it away from the players that played in that era/span also.... I mean, there weren't any suspicions of cheating to take away wins from the players..... I think this penalty affects the players more than paterno himself.... all those blood, sweat, and tears (so to speak) is now worth nothin..... If I was a Penn state player during that time, and I suffered some debilitating injury (or worse, like Eric LeGrand [the player paralyzed from rutgers] for example), I would be absolutely livid at this.......

school being banned from 4 bowl games doesn't mean much if they're not competitive enough to even be asked to play in a bowl game..... I think this affects the NCAA overall more than it does penn state itself, but whatever......

cutting down the # of scholarships does hurt the university more; I don't have much of a problem with this.....

Edited by B35 via Church

oh well, its about time colleges became more about education and less about who's got the biggest sports team.

Foxie you 100% right in your above statement. With that said, I know Foxie you not much of a sports fan. College Football is a huge $1 Billion Dollar-plus business that huge in the deep south. For a college like Alabama without college football, most of their in state students would go schools in the Northeast.

Best solution (too bad the Deep South would never allow it) is to have a minor league football just like MLB baseball and hockey.

I mean, Joe Paterno's dead. And Sandusky's gonna rot in jail while the men there do to him what he tried with little boys for so long. This thing is sorta over. I'm not saying it shouldn't have been harsh, but, this seems really harsh. I just get the sense there's for collateral damage here with the players and the students, and that shouldn't be happening.

This will just up the tuition on the existing students and really did nothing to fix the problems. JoePa is dead. Other lawsuits and indictments are forthcoming. All this did was punish the innocent: the players and school.

Just was watching ESPN Mike and Mike program and they had lead College Football Brent Musberger. Musberger basically did not say much on Penn State near Death Penalty but said something in general.

He said it was a mistake that last century starting in the 1920's, that major colleges from Alabama, Texas, and Penn State became basically Minor League for the NFL. The Sandusky scandal highlighted in Musberger view the crisis of major college being "in bed" with their football teams. And of course college football players should being paid.

I was reading this in the news and this came a shock to me...

Yes, Sandusky should have been punished, but what they did to the school is a bit over the top.

The second one, the loss of wins, I can't tell who it affects more, Sandusky or the School....

I was reading this in the news and this came a shock to me...

Yes, Sandusky should have been punished, but what they did to the school is a bit over the top.

The second one, the loss of wins, I can't tell who it affects more, Sandusky or the School....

Sandusky was the asst. coach for Joe Paterno. The NCAA took away the wins from Paterno not Sandusky.