"MTA vs. WMATA: Why Metro Is Terrible"

WMATA

While reading the "Unsuck DC Metro" blog, I came across this article written by a Bloomsberg writer.

I can't say I disagree with Mr. Barro. I live in Maryland, but stopped using Metrorail because it's becoming more of an inconvenience than a service. Going into DC on Fridays and the weekends are a headache because of the extensive trackwork that's been going on as apart of a $5 billion capital program to improve the system.

What's amazing to me is not that WMATA is so incompetent, but that Washington commuters put up with it. Where is the outrage? Why are politicians not running on a platform of making the agency fix its systems and provide decent service? Why isn't WMATA accountable like the MTA is?

I don't agree with the above statement, though. There IS outrage. People have protested outside the Jackson Graham building (WMATA headquarters) and then there's social media. People are tired of incompetent management. There's no clear leadership. They just have a bunch of mouthpieces collecting paychecks who don't even use the system.

Trains breakdown frequently, which leads to customers being offloaded onto dangerously crowded platforms. HVAC units fail during the summer time, and then there's the broken escalators and elevators. They just can't seem to fix the infrastructure.

http://www.bloomberg...s-terrible.html

While reading the "Unsuck DC Metro" blog, I came across this article written by a Bloomsberg writer.

I can't say I disagree with Mr. Barro. I live in Maryland, but stopped using Metrorail because it's becoming more of an inconvenience than a service. Going into DC on Fridays and the weekends are a headache because of the extensive trackwork that's been going on as apart of a $5 billion capital program to improve the system.

I don't agree with the above statement, though. There IS outrage. People have protested outside the Jackson Graham building (WMATA headquarters) and then there's social media. People are tired of incompetent management. There's no clear leadership. They just have a bunch of mouthpieces collecting paychecks who don't even use the system.

Trains breakdown frequently, which leads to customers being offloaded onto dangerously crowded platforms. HVAC units fail during the summer time, and then there's the broken escalators and elevators. They just can't seem to fix the infrastructure.

http://www.bloomberg...s-terrible.html

Dont say that to our former member Mr. Wilson aka Forest Glen as he would argue with you lol. Seriously it seems the DC metro once one of the best run subway/rapid transit systems in the world is now at a huge crossroads similar to the NYC (MTA) in the early 1970's.

I heard about that major derailment couple of weeks ago during that never ending heat wave. Thankfully the few times i been on it (most recent in 2010)never had a problem other than crowding.

Dont say that to our former member Mr. Wilson aka Forest Glen as he would argue with you lol. Seriously it seems the DC metro once one of the best run subway/rapid transit systems in the world is now at a huge crossroads similar to the NYC (MTA) in the early 1970's.

I heard about that major derailment couple of weeks ago during that never ending heat wave. Thankfully the few times i been on it (most recent in 2010)never had a problem other than crowding.

It does seem similar to the MTA's "deferred maintenance" era. Trains and stations aren't extremely filthy, but the equipment fails frequently enough. I was on a 'hot car' (a CAF car) about month ago and people were trying to alert the T/O of the faulty A/C, but received no response. I was sweating like a dog on a packed, underground train, but I had cold water fortunately. Someone angrily notified him of the situation when we pulled into Farragut North, but it turned out that the married pair had the same problem so everyone had to be offloaded and the train was taken OOS. They're raising fares, but service is still going down the toilet. It's puzzling, Shortline.

Thankfully, no one was injured as a result of that Green line derailment. The thing is, appropriate speed restrictions should have been in place. Last summer, trains were limited to 35 MPH in "at-grade" or above ground sections of track during extreme weather conditions.

569-wehikink.jpg

That track looks like it was twisted by something by this angle

Yup. The heat. The Washington DC area recently had 10 straight days of 95 degree days (including hitting 100 4 days in a row as well)and trains was going full speed at elvated stations when they should been a reduction.

Yup. The heat. The Washington DC area recently had 10 straight days of 95 degree days (including hitting 100 4 days in a row as well)and trains was going full speed at elvated stations when they should been a reduction.

Sounds like Toronto! lol

It does seem similar to the MTA's "deferred maintenance" era. Trains and stations aren't extremely filthy, but the equipment fails frequently enough. I was on a 'hot car' (a CAF car) about month ago and people were trying to alert the T/O of the faulty A/C, but received no response. I was sweating like a dog on a packed, underground train, but I had cold water fortunately. Someone angrily notified him of the situation when we pulled into Farragut North, but it turned out that the married pair had the same problem so everyone had to be offloaded and the train was taken OOS. They're raising fares, but service is still going down the toilet. It's puzzling, Shortline.

Thankfully, no one was injured as a result of that Green line derailment. The thing is, appropriate speed restrictions should have been in place. Last summer, trains were limited to 35 MPH in "at-grade" or above ground sections of track during extreme weather conditions.

569-wehikink.jpg

Yup. There was an accident in 2009 with two trains colliding on the Red Line. The result was 9 deaths and 70 injuries. It was blamed on a faulty track circuit. Consequently, the accident happened due to deferred maitenance of the circuit.

1) I think the fare needs a huge restructuring in the MetroRail side of the system, it's annoying to have so many stupid fares and by station-to-station, what should be implemented is zone fares and a small peak surcharge of $1.00 per zone in MetroRail.

2) Obviously management needs to get it and restructure WMATA and have organization. With so many people not knowing how to run a decent transit system in charge, it's not going to work out well in the short and long run.

1) I think the fare needs a huge restructuring in the MetroRail side of the system, it's annoying to have so many stupid fares and by station-to-station, what should be implemented is zone fares and a small peak surcharge of $1.00 per zone in MetroRail.

2) Obviously management needs to get it and restructure WMATA and have organization. With so many people not knowing how to run a decent transit system in charge, it's not going to work out well in the short and long run.

Agree. They (DC Metro) should use the Metro North/LIRR type fare structure as current system is too complex. In city of District of Columbia(Washington)it should '1' fare i.e $2-$2.50, and then going to/from DC and Arlington $3.00, and then a maxium of $4-$5 off peak. Thus when i use that sytem i just buy the 1-day unlimited to avoid that issue.

Agree. They (DC Metro) should use the Metro North/LIRR type fare structure as current system is too complex. In city of District of Columbia(Washington)it should '1' fare i.e $2-$2.50, and then going to/from DC and Arlington $3.00, and then a maxium of $4-$5 off peak. Thus when i use that sytem i just buy the 1-day unlimited to avoid that issue.

I've stopped using my CharmCard because it can't be loaded with the 1-day unlimited.option. And indeed, it needs to be like the MNR/LIRR, well really it could learn from fellow local operators such as VRE and MARC!

I've stopped using my CharmCard because it can't be loaded with the 1-day unlimited.option. And indeed, it needs to be like the MNR/LIRR, well really it could learn from fellow local operators such as VRE and MARC!

they already do? Smarttrip cards have weekly passes and a new monthly. Their fare structure is very similar to LIRR

they already do? Smarttrip cards have weekly passes and a new monthly. Their fare structure is very similar to LIRR

Well, the weekly and monthly options are not for me, I am usually only in DC for 1-3 days and only 1 day I use MetroRail. And no, it's station to station fare structures, it's nothing like the LIRR!

Wrong again QJ. The DC Metro is different from LIRR/Metro North in that it could a 50 cent-$1.00 difference traveling from the RFK stadium stop-the White House.

Archived