17 New Drivers at CP

CPBO

Justice qualified in 7 days a few days ago, and depot picks are next week for all those who qualified.

I am not sure if Acela was kidding when he said that they are getting fired left and right at Flatbush.

You came off of a mta bus list or what??

I got another trainee on the QM1 yesterday...does this mean they will be adding new runs to the QM1/5/6, or did these rookies just pick existing runs? I always thought the QM1/5/6 was relatively tough to pick, since I mostly see senior guys running it.

How many years I Will have to wait to get hired, I Know it's not right away , But I just wanted to know how long because I already applied & got my letter showing the random # ; I'm in the 11,000s for bus operator exam 2301, so I'm just waiting for a letter or call to take the exam.

I also have my CDL permit, I'm just patiently waiting.

How many years I Will have to wait to get hired, I Know it's not right away , But I just wanted to know how long because I already applied & got my letter showing the random # ; I'm in the 11,000s for bus operator exam 2301, so I'm just waiting for a letter or call to take the exam.

I'm thinking slim to none.....look at the sticky thread....I posted a quote from the mta website....

I got another trainee on the QM1 yesterday...does this mean they will be adding new runs to the QM1/5/6, or did these rookies just pick existing runs? I always thought the QM1/5/6 was relatively tough to pick, since I mostly see senior guys running it.

I think they have them go around and do all of the express bus routes so that they get familiar with them. I will say that it has been PAINFUL getting rookies on the BxM2 and BxM18, though I have yet to get one on the BxM1. The commute somehow becomes DOUBLE when they're training a rookie and I do have a problem with it. I mean we're not paying the standard fare. We pay almost triple the fare for a reason because we want to get to our destination quickly and I get really pissed when I get a rookie that takes forever at every stop. I had this guy on the BxM18 the other night... I didn't know what was going on but he had to pull in (and do so painfully slowly) at every stop and then take forever to open the door. I found myself outside of the bus cursing for him to open the door already because he just kept inching up and inching up near the stop and I'm there waiting and waiting. I'm like is this guy parking the bus or what? Unbelievable. We should get on for free or something when they're training because my time is valuable.

ViaG, remember that what comes around, goes around. Somebody like you wouldn't even consider taking a B/O exam

if you got laid off, like sooo many white collar people have done, It's probably "beneath" you.

Were you perfect on your job when you first started? Of course not, there is a learning curve to every job and it so happens

that driving a bus in NYC isn't as easy as you think it is. The world doesn't revolve around you my friend!

ViaG, remember that what comes around, goes around. Somebody like you wouldn't even consider taking a B/O exam

if you got laid off, like sooo many white collar people have done, It's probably "beneath" you.

Were you perfect on your job when you first started? Of course not, there is a learning curve to every job and it so happens

that driving a bus in NYC isn't as easy as you think it is. The world doesn't revolve around you my friend!

Get bent dude... You don't know what I would do. I've done all sorts of jobs. My first job at 15 was a camp counselor. I've worked for the MTA while in high school, worked security here and there, tutored privately and so on all, before I actually started working professionally. I started temping at HarperCollins while waiting to receive my degree and from there was eventually offered a position at the second place I was temping at. My uncle is a B/O and works at MJQ so I'm quite aware of how difficult it is to drive a bus. That still doesn't change my comment. I'm entitled to my opinion just like you're entitled to yours so you can take your little smart remark and shove it where the sun don't shine.

They have to learn sometimes!

You can take a new driver out and have them do dry runs a billion times, but that first day with passengers is scary....ask any B/O on here. Unfortunately they aren't gonna be out there "turning and burning" like an experienced B/O....that's why they are called ROOKIES. I have close to a decade of commercial driving experience and I would have a tough time for the first couple of weeks. They have enough on their plates....they don't need pissy passengers at this point.

Remember the rookie you give a hard time today will be the veteran that gives you a hard time tomorrow.

They have to learn sometimes!

You can take a new driver out and have them do dry runs a billion times, but that first day with passengers is scary....ask any B/O on here. Unfortunately they aren't gonna be out there "turning and burning" like an experienced B/O....that's why they are called ROOKIES. I have close to a decade of commercial driving experience and I would have a tough time for the first couple of weeks. They have enough on their plates....they don't need pissy passengers at this point.

Remember the rookie you give a hard time today will be the veteran that gives you a hard time tomorrow.

I didn't give the guy a hard time at all. I was just cranky that it took double the time to get home, which you would be too. I mean hey I had worked almost 10 hours and I want to get home, hence why I pay a premium fare.

I would be a bit pissed but I understand the whole situation. I had a similar situation when I use the take the 129 home from Secaucus to New York. We had a trainee who you could tell was nervous.....he fell behind so bad that the next 129 (1/2 hr headway) caught up to us before we got to Union City. But I couldn't get pissed because I remember when I was in that position.

Next month I'll be starting my new job at ShortLine and even with all my experience, I'm nervous as hell because I'm learning a whole new system,routes,and fares. I won't know the shortcuts that the veterans know so I'll be late. Hopefully the commuters will be understanding although I know that some won't be. Like I said....everybody has to learn sometime.

Archived