17 New Drivers at CP

CPBO

I would be a bit pissed but I understand the whole situation. I had a similar situation when I use the take the 129 home from Secaucus to New York. We had a trainee who you could tell was nervous.....he fell behind so bad that the next 129 (1/2 hr headway) caught up to us before we got to Union City. But I couldn't get pissed because I remember when I was in that position.

Next month I'll be starting my new job at ShortLine and even with all my experience, I'm nervous as hell because I'm learning a whole new system,routes,and fares. I won't know the shortcuts that the veterans know so I'll be late. Hopefully the commuters will be understanding although I know that some won't be. Like I said....everybody has to learn sometime.

LOL... Oh God... Reminds me of this chick on the BxM18... She was so slow that the next BxM18 (due some 30 minutes later) caught up to us when I got to 239th street and Henry Hudson Parkway. I couldn't believe it. I asked a guy getting off at the stop with me about her and he said "Oh that one, she's a bit slow". That was the last night I took her bus. I said what's the point of me catching the 18:52 if I'm going to get home at the same time as if I was taking the 19:14...

I would be a bit pissed but I understand the whole situation. I had a similar situation when I use the take the 129 home from Secaucus to New York. We had a trainee who you could tell was nervous.....he fell behind so bad that the next 129 (1/2 hr headway) caught up to us before we got to Union City. But I couldn't get pissed because I remember when I was in that position.

Next month I'll be starting my new job at ShortLine and even with all my experience, I'm nervous as hell because I'm learning a whole new system,routes,and fares. I won't know the shortcuts that the veterans know so I'll be late. Hopefully the commuters will be understanding although I know that some won't be. Like I said....everybody has to learn sometime.

Amen. I'm not in the transportation business, but I think every job has a learning curve. As for rookie B/O's, I do think it would make sense to start them with the really empty runs on the exp lines--this way, they have slow exposure to customers, and even if they drive slowly, they will not fall that behind. I sure as hell would not want my training run on the QM1 to be at 8:30 am heading into the city if I was a new B/O! Yet that is what the MTA seems to have decided was a good idea.

Amen. I'm not in the transportation business, but I think every job has a learning curve. As for rookie B/O's, I do think it would make sense to start them with the really empty runs on the exp lines--this way, they have slow exposure to customers, and even if they drive slowly, they will not fall that behind. I sure as hell would not want my training run on the QM1 to be at 8:30 am heading into the city if I was a new B/O! Yet that is what the MTA seems to have decided was a good idea.

Exactly... Don't put rookies on the route when folks need to be at work for crying out loud! Happened to me on the BxM2 the other day and I was pissed to say the least. Granted my boss isn't a stickler about being late, but I don't like being late. Throws me out of whack with everything and aside from that I had to get off and hop on the subway when I usually can just stay on and get off at 50th and walk from there to the office.

---

Here's a question I have though... How many of those B/Os actually make it through the training and all? I wonder if some of them just get so freaked from PITAs like me out that they quit?

Again guys you are missing the whole point....Yes, you can put them on a lightly used schedule and then what happens when they have to do that 830am QM1. Now they don't know how to run it because they are used to not dealing with a tough schedule. They have to know how to run every route at anytime of day. That's why they have them out at different times during line training so they can see what the passenger and traffic flows are like. I would rather them be thrown into that 830am QM1 during line training with a veteran B/O to help them.....then the alternative of them catching that trip their 1st day on the extraboard.

Again guys you are missing the whole point....Yes, you can put them on a lightly used schedule and then what happens when they have to do that 830am QM1. Now they don't know how to run it because they are used to not dealing with a tough schedule. They have to know how to run every route at anytime of day. That's why they have them out at different times during line training so they can see what the passenger and traffic flows are like. I would rather them be thrown into that 830am QM1 during line training with a veteran B/O to help them.....then the alternative of them catching that trip their 1st day on the extraboard.

Well I've helped fillers doing the rush. A few years ago I got on the X13 and the guy didn't know the route and asked me if I would help him. I had time to kill so I did the whole route with him from Forest & Manor Rd and also stayed on with him and did the Downtown Loop as well. It would be nice if you could track the buses and see the ones with rookies on them. :lol:

I'm not trying to be a jerk but I just want you guys to understand why they train they way they do. It makes them all around better drives to get thrown these tough runs in line training than when they are on their own. It's less stress on them because they can think "I did that 17:30 BxM18, I just gotta do what my training operator told me and I can run it ontime"

Last year they tried to baby one of the training classes at Bonanza and they were ok until the entire class got forced to Cape Cod last summer and had to work those "blood money" runs down there. All but one of that class quit because they weren't prepared for it. And when you consider it costs between 5-10k just to train a new operator, it's best to train them right for the get-go so you don't waste that time and money by them quitting.

5 - 10k huh? Somehow I feel like that figure would be higher for the MTA. lol

Knowing the TA I'm sure of it! :lol:

I know it's annoying when you want to get home,but in the long run it's gonna be worth it. In a couple of months that rookie will be "turning and burning" in that MCI. Yonkers B/Os don't screw around....they move!

Knowing the TA I'm sure of it! :lol:

I know it's annoying when you want to get home,but in the long run it's gonna be worth it. In a couple of months that rookie will be "turning and burning" in that MCI. Yonkers B/Os don't screw around....they move!

LOL... Um for the most part that is true... There's a few though that are pretty slow, but overall you're right. I can now leave and get the 09:09 BxM2 to work in the morning and he gets me there at 50th & 7th with time to spare for me to walk and be in my office at 10:00 which isn't shabby at all. I used to take the BxM1 08:54 but he was too slow and get me to work later than the BxM2. The BxM2 guy takes shortcuts though which saves a lot of time because I've had the same bus with different drivers get me to 50th & 7th at almost 10:30.

I think they have them go around and do all of the express bus routes so that they get familiar with them. I will say that it has been PAINFUL getting rookies on the BxM2 and BxM18, though I have yet to get one on the BxM1. The commute somehow becomes DOUBLE when they're training a rookie and I do have a problem with it. I mean we're not paying the standard fare. We pay almost triple the fare for a reason because we want to get to our destination quickly and I get really pissed when I get a rookie that takes forever at every stop. I had this guy on the BxM18 the other night... I didn't know what was going on but he had to pull in (and do so painfully slowly) at every stop and then take forever to open the door. I found myself outside of the bus cursing for him to open the door already because he just kept inching up and inching up near the stop and I'm there waiting and waiting. I'm like is this guy parking the bus or what? Unbelievable. We should get on for free or something when they're training because my time is valuable.

I think they have them go around and do all of the express bus routes so that they get familiar with them. I will say that it has been PAINFUL getting rookies on the BxM2 and BxM18, though I have yet to get one on the BxM1. The commute somehow becomes DOUBLE when they're training a rookie and I do have a problem with it. I mean we're not paying the standard fare. We pay almost triple the fare for a reason because we want to get to our destination quickly and I get really pissed when I get a rookie that takes forever at every stop. I had this guy on the BxM18 the other night... I didn't know what was going on but he had to pull in (and do so painfully slowly) at every stop and then take forever to open the door. I found myself outside of the bus cursing for him to open the door already because he just kept inching up and inching up near the stop and I'm there waiting and waiting. I'm like is this guy parking the bus or what? Unbelievable. We should get on for free or something when they're training because my time is valuable.

Good luck with the getting on for free bit.....now I stop where ever I can and pick up the same in Manhattan....the cabs just stop anywhere to pick up and drop off....so I have to go around them....

• 2 weeks later...

How is he...I am hearing by the book!!

Not at all. He's only like that with people that are lazy. At least that's how he was with us. I don't know.how he was with transportation ppl. The one thing that I will warn you about is don't ever correct him in front of people. If he ever tells you to do something, just do it. If you know he's wrong, just say "ok mike, I'll try my best" lol. He was as far from by the book with us as possible. I was a common occurrence to see him walking on top of a bus without a harness on or in the drivers seat with a laptop and one of the genders. Another thing, don't ever try to bullshit him on a problem with a bus. When I say he knows his shit, I really mean he knows his shit. You might be able to for a couple weeks bcause I believe he's new to CNG, but for your sake I wouldn't even try it. Hes one of the good guy, and everyone misses him over here...

Not at all. He's only like that with people that are lazy. At least that's how he was with us. I don't know.how he was with transportation ppl. The one thing that I will warn you about is don't ever correct him in front of people. If he ever tells you to do something, just do it. If you know he's wrong, just say "ok mike, I'll try my best" lol. He was as far from by the book with us as possible. I was a common occurrence to see him walking on top of a bus without a harness on or in the drivers seat with a laptop and one of the genders. Another thing, don't ever try to bullshit him on a problem with a bus. When I say he knows his shit, I really mean he knows his shit. You might be able to for a couple weeks bcause I believe he's new to CNG, but for your sake I wouldn't even try it. Hes one of the good guy, and everyone misses him over here...

I am not into playing games at work...If the tire is missing all the flags....like a day last week I say something...and thank god I did....the bus was not suppose to be in the line up.....other than that....pre-trip do my run post trip...go home....stay off the radar!!!

• 3 months later...

My list# is 5329 for b/o exam 2301. I was schedule to take the BOSS exam on November 5th, 2012 for MTA but because of hurricane Sandy I am now rescheduled to take the BOSS exam on December 12th, 2012. I was just wondering if I have a good chance to actually becoming a b/o with the list number that I have? Hopefully someone with good knowledge can give me some idea what to expect. I already havey cdl class A with required endorsement. ( NPST). Thanx.

Archived