Pol: Call me with your subway gripes

Trainspotter

Pol: Call me with your subway gripes

By Matthew Sweeney

amNY.com

July 15, 2008

[float=right]359dovhikindjpg_150.jpg

Assemblyman

Dov Hikind[/float]Assemb. Dov Hikind is inviting straphangers to call his district office to report unsafe subway conditions.

"The issue that we are concentrating on is not making subway stations prettier," Hikind (D-Brooklyn) said yesterday. "The issue to me is safety. ... You shouldn't be putting your life in jeopardy."

Hikind expects to wrap up by early August an informal survey of more than three dozen subway stations where unsafe conditions endanger riders.

Rotten wood at platform edges and dark platforms are on his list of problems that have to be fixed, according to his office.

This month the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is expected to defer numerous station rehab projects to save money. NYC Transit, however, has put aside $50 million to target deteriorating stations. Transit also had undertaken an inspection and repair of platform edges throughout the system.

"NYC Transit has effective policies and procedures in place to respond to and correct safety related issues at our subway stations through our station maintenance division," Transit spokesman, Paul Fleuranges, said in an e-mail.

Hikind's office, which can be reached at 718-853-9616, hopes to compile a comprehensive list of safety hazards that need to be addressed immediately. "Whatever hot line they have it ain't working because the situation is bad from what I can tell," Hikind said of Transit.

Archived