Which June 2010 bus cuts should be brought back now?

Shortline Bus

Hey guys. Feel free to discuss which of the Doomsday 2010 Cuts that was not restored i.e M6, weekend M8 service, B51, B37, B71, B77, Q74, Q79, BX14, etc. should have been. Please folks let us please focus only on the bus lines that ran pre June 2010 that has not returned and was not part of the (MTA) so called "Service Investments"?

If possible, please no mention of Bus Proposal ideas not related to the now former routes. Guys for new route/service extensions you can comment on them in each thread for all (5) boros. Lastly no flame wars or insults. Thanks

My big ones would be the M6 and maybe the B71 or the B77. I'm not sure if I would restore both of them, but I guess we'll have to see how the B57 extension goes. I would also restore the X16, as West Brighton has been left with no Downtown express bus service, leading to more traffic because folks now drive over to get the X12.

I would also look to bring back the B23 if possible. Seems like a void was left there and folks were forced to use car service. I'm wondering how much ridership it got though. Perhaps a re-route would help it as well.

Again here my replies in no order.

M8 weekend service but no overnight service.

B8 full time (weekday)Bay Ridge service to 95th St (R) station.

M10 service to the PABT/Times Sq. area.

M98 service to 34th St/Between Lex and 3rd Ave.

B77 service running daily 6am-Midnight. The "B57" did not need another extension.

B51 Rush Hours between Manhattan Community College (BMCC) and Jay/Fulton station.

Extend the B67 or 69 (weekdays only) via 16th Av to Boro Park-62nd St (D)(N) station.

Weekend X28 service.

M1 service to South Ferry weekdays to help out the unrelible M5.

M104 to the Grand Central area with "short trips" ending at current PABT terminal area.

Merge the Q20b(14th Ave branch) and former Q74 to run between Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike (E)(F) station and College Point via Queens College loop.

Bring former BX14 for Country Club-Pelham Bay shuttle.

Restore overnight hourly B67, B45 service in Brooklyn.

Just my partial list.

PS subway station. Yes we did. However this thread focuses only on the bus routes that was canned in the doomsday 2010 cuts that still has not returned. And thus not on the upcoming so called service investments list!

Again here my replies in no order.

M8 weekend service but no overnight service.

B8 full time (weekday)Bay Ridge service to 95th St (R) station.

M10 service to the PABT/Times Sq. area.

M98 service to 34th St/Between Lex and 3rd Ave.

B77 service running daily 6am-Midnight. The "B57" did not need another extension.

B51 Rush Hours between Manhattan Community College (BMCC) and Jay/Fulton station.

Extend the B67 or 69 (weekdays only) via 16th Av to Boro Park-62nd St (D)(N) station.

Weekend X28 service.

M1 service to South Ferry weekdays to help out the unrelible M5.

M104 to the Grand Central area with "short trips" ending at current PABT terminal area.

Merge the Q20b(14th Ave branch) and former Q74 to run between Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike (E)(F) station and College Point via Queens College loop.

Bring former BX14 for Country Club-Pelham Bay shuttle.

Restore overnight hourly B67, B45 service in Brooklyn.

Just my partial list.

I think adding more service on the M5 and having some buses short turned would work better than having the M1 run all the way down there. I'm not sure why but I see way too many M5s bunching. I usually see M5s in twos in the city. When monies permitted, I would simply restore the M6 and then make the M5 completely limited stops. With the amount of tourists going Downtown for shopping these days the buses are getting good usage.

My list:

1. B51 service with an extension to BMCC (and possibly the Barclay Center during event days and Brooklyn Nets games)

2. Weekend X28 service

3. Full X29, M30, X13, X16 (with the X14 returning to its old route), and X90 service.

4. Truncate the M5 back to Greenwich Village, provide weekend limited service.

5. Reinstate the M6 with the extension to Columbus Circle (and the 72nd Street station if it gets enough demand).

6. M10 service to Times Square or Penn Station.

7. M104 service back to the U.N.

8. B71 and B77 service reinstation. Union Street is absolutely steep along the avenues, and it got pretty good passenger service. The B77, meanwhile, was an excellent little route that helped alleviate the B61 and B75. (The B61 was bad before; it's worse now.)

9. Full-time, increased B69 and B67 service with each route serving the former B23. The B67 would terminate at Cortelyou Road and Flatbush Avenue to transfer to the B41, while the B69 would terminate at the 62nd Street
(D)(N)
station in Borough Park.

10. Full-time B8 service to the 95th Street
(R)
station.

11. M98 service to 34th Street.

3. Full X29, M30, X13, X16 (with the X14 returning to its old route), and X90 service.

I would not bring back the X13. I would make select X14s serve Downtown and have a few super express X14s, this way you don't waste service with two routes and you can add service as needed without breaking the bank. I think that would be the wise thing to do because folks gave up on the X13. It like the X16 just wasn't reliable. The X16 on the other hand I would bring back since it runs really along with the X30 in serving most of West Brighton along Forest Avenue. The one advantage with the X14 now is the folks Downtown have later service than they did before, though it sucks for Midtown riders. I think for the X16 I would keep the morning service as it was and add back that old late bus and see about having service a bit later in the evening with service every 30 minutes. The main reason I left West Brighton was express bus service just sucked in terms of having later service. Having the last bus leave Midtown before 18:30 is a joke.

Off top....

* Q74 - I have heard stories where riders have resorted to taking the (7) to one of the flushing buses to queens coll. instead of the (E)/(F) to kew gdns for the 74...... that's pretty drastic a commuting change.... and if those same ppl. don't/didn't want to put up w/ the Q64, I do not blame them one bit......

What I am surprised at is the (seemingly) increase in usage the 88 has gotten at/towards queens coll......

* B67 - cuts involving this route were done at the expense of sparing the B69, flat out..... Totally unjustified, since the bulk of riders south of flatbush av are traveling towards downtown, not clinton hill & ft. greene...... The MTA's (take the F) suggestion doesn't fly with me, since the F can't take you to certain parts of downtown - which is why you have riders disembarking the bus for the B/Q...... Not to mention the F doesn't run up 7th av anyway.....

When it comes to the 67, oh, take the F..... but of course they're not gonna suggest taking the G, in regards to the 69.....

How hypocritical.....

* x29 - its discontinuation pretty much forced express bus riders onto the BM's & the subway.... I still say the MTA did everything in its power to decrease ridership on this route.... Contrary to certain ppl's beliefs, the route wasn't that damn slow, and buses would get full at times......

* B51 - route should have never been discontinued.... at worst, off peak service could've been revoked...

* M98 - this route has been bastardized; I would remember seeing buses crushloaded.... It's still used as an alternative to the M101 Ltd, but the route has lost riders that rode towards grand central, etc...... seriously, wtf @ hunter college area as a terminal......

My list.

x29: Should of never got discontinued. Buses would fill up from Sheepshead Bay to checkpoint in the morning, decent ridership.

Yes, most of those customers are now taking the (Q)(B) which I feel are slow trains on the brighton line, and construction prone.

B51: Very poor decision for the (MTA) to do that. At most the B51 could of been a great rush hour candidate 3-8pm at the most, and a route extension in which I see others on the board are mentioning. I think the BMCC terminal seems good, but I think the B51 should go into Battery Park City.

B23: ?????

B12: City Line branch needs to be restored, AT LEAST for rush hour.

B67 & B45: Overnight service needs to be back

x29: Should of never got discontinued. Buses would fill up from Sheepshead Bay to checkpoint in the morning, decent ridership.

Yes, most of those customers are now taking the (Q)(B) which I feel are slow trains on the brighton line, and construction prone.

* x29 - its discontinuation pretty much forced express bus riders onto the BM's & the subway.... I still say the MTA did everything in its power to decrease ridership on this route.... Contrary to certain ppl's beliefs, the route wasn't that damn slow, and buses would get full at times......

I would restore this route as well. The problem is it may be too late. I'm just wondering if there would still be a ridership base for the route. I mean with the way real estate is exploding in parts of Brooklyn right now, you could still have folks that would use it but it especially with all of the problems on the (B)(Q) line with the endless construction and track work. I would also agree that the X29 isn't that bad. I've used it myself a few times to get to Sheepshead Bay and it was fine. I think with the population that exists along Coney Island Avenue that it would still get some usage but you may have to market it a bit more. Something like getting the politicians to put the word out that the service is running again or something.

Off top....

* Q74 - I have heard stories where riders have resorted to taking the (7) to one of the flushing buses to queens coll. instead of the (E)/(F) to kew gdns for the 74...... that's pretty drastic a commuting change.... and if those same ppl. don't/didn't want to put up w/ the Q64, I do not blame them one bit......

What I am surprised at is the (seemingly) increase in usage the 88 has gotten at/towards queens coll......

* B67 - cuts involving this route were done at the expense of sparing the B69, flat out..... Totally unjustified, since the bulk of riders south of flatbush av are traveling towards downtown, not clinton hill & ft. greene...... The MTA's (take the F) suggestion doesn't fly with me, since the F can't take you to certain parts of downtown - which is why you have riders disembarking the bus for the B/Q...... Not to mention the F doesn't run up 7th av anyway.....

When it comes to the 67, oh, take the F..... but of course they're not gonna suggest taking the G, in regards to the 69.....

How hypocritical.....

* B51 - route should have never been discontinued.... at worst, off peak service could've been revoked...

* M98 - this route has been bastardized; I would remember seeing buses crushloaded.... It's still used as an alternative to the M101 Ltd, but the route has lost riders that rode towards grand central, etc...... seriously, wtf @ hunter college area as a terminal......

Q74 I agree

I never understood the logic of the B67 myself. Granted I don't know too much about the route but the shit they did to the route made 0 sense....

x29 should definitely come back. That cut made more people cram on the Coney Island x28s and often times I used to see a fully seated Coney Island bound x28 as compared to a Bensonhurst trip. The x29 wasn't that slow either, it beats taking the D, the F or the N to Coney Island from Manhattan....

B51...I've made my points about it before, not gonna do a re-run.

M98...I also found that one to be an anomaly. The fact that a good 30%-40% of riders came from that section between 34th & 68th Streets speaks volumes. I would always see people passing up M101s for the M98s with good reason other than a guaranteed seat. The cut to 68th made no sense also.

Brooklyn:

B23: Cortelyou Rd crosstown should be restored for residents along Cortelyou Rd.

B37: Should be restored and extended to DUMBO during East River Ferry operation.

B39: Reinstate since Nassau St lines are not fully ADA accessible.

B51: Reinstate, revise B51 route.

City Hall-bound: Begins at B25 stop at DUMBO, stays on Cadman Plaza West to Court St, turn left at Livington St, turn left at Smith St, onto Jay St, right onto Tillary St onto Manhattan Bridge at Flatbush Av.

Brooklyn-bound: Regular B51 route to Tillary St, down Jay St to Smith St, turn right at Schermerhorn St, turn right at Boerum Pl, up Adams St to Tillary St, follow B25 to Dumbo Pier.

B51 bus will schedule to meet East River Ferry connection.

Manhattan:

M1/M5: Reinstate M1 South Ferry. M5 will become LTD on Downtown Manhattan section while M1 Local/LTD stays local. M1 LTD rush hour and M1 South Ferry all times with some terminate at East Village. All M5 LTD runs daily.

M1 Northbound reroute via 6th Av, 8th St to Lafayette St/4th Av, regular route.

M5 LTD Stop:

Southbound:

All 8th St stops

Broadway/Waverly Place

Broadway/Houston St

Broadway/Walker St

Broadway/Worth St

Broadway/Chambers St

Broadway/Park Place

Broadway/Fulton St

Broadway/Liberty St

Then all stops.

Northbound: All stops until:

Church St/Liberty St

Church St/Fulton St

Church St/Warren St

Church St/Leonardo St

6th Av/Thompson St

6th Av/Houston St

New M1 stops Northbound makes all m5 local stops to 8th St, then M8 stops to Lafayette St.

M8: Restore weekend service. West end should extend to Chelsea Meat Market via West St, 10th Av to M14D terminal for High Line. M8 Eastbound follows M11 route to 14th St, then down Washington St to 10th St, then M8 stops.

Provided M5 LTD service on weekdays including on weekends.

M9: Extend to 34th St for direct transfer to M34/A Select Bus Service instead of MTA's plan to 29th St.

M22: Restore evening service.

M98: Restore to 34th St. During school days, extend to Baruch College with additional stops at 23rd St/Lexington Av and 3rd Av/23rd St.

M104: Restore to United Nations.

Queens:

Q74: School days only.

Extended to Flushing:

Flushing-bound: Via Main St, Melbourne Av, Kissena Blvd, Main St, 39th Av, Union St, Roosevelt Av.

Kew Garden-bound: Via Roosevelt Av, share stop with NICE, Main St, Horace Harding Expressway, Kissena Blvd, Melbourne Av, Main St.

Q79: Reinstate.

During race days, extend Q79 to Belmont Park Racetrack.

I would restore this route as well. The problem is it may be too late. I'm just wondering if there would still be a ridership base for the route. I mean with the way real estate is exploding in parts of Brooklyn right now, you could still have folks that would use it but it especially with all of the problems on the (B)(Q) line with the endless construction and track work. I would also agree that the X29 isn't that bad. I've used it myself a few times to get to Sheepshead Bay and it was fine. I think with the population that exists along Coney Island Avenue that it would still get some usage but you may have to market it a bit more. Something like getting the politicians to put the word out that the service is running again or something.

Back when they were doing construction on the Brighton was when x29 usage shot up..... I understand it'll never reach those levels again, but I do still think there is still a (significant enough) market for it.... Only thing is, I would not terminate it at stillwell/surf b/c anyone that's seeking public transportation in that area are doing so by way of the 36/74, 68, or the subway...... They could end it by the trump village apts (west 5th/neptune.... that area) if need be.....

Brooklyn (well overall, but especially), south of Midwood is growing.... The population is definitely there - which is why the amt. of pax on B's & Q's are increasing.... For a couple mos. now, which is (one reason) why I've decided to take the exp. bus as part of my morning commute as well, where I didn't before..... It's slowly getting to a point where I'm going to fully abandon the (B) in the mornings, just like I've done w/ the whole (2)-to-the-(1) commute I used to do years ago..... And since the dollar cabs don't go all the way to McDonald for the (F), to hell with considering that as an option - because I am NOT relying on the B35 to get to work !!

Sometimes I think too that (too many, if you ask me) patrons that live west of the brighton, are taking buses to the brighton - cramming up the brighton..... I know for a fact that's the case w/ the B82 - there are more ppl taking buses to the brighton moreso than to the culver & the sea beach.... to/from the west end, the B82 does get a lot of riders, I'll give it that...... But all this in this paragraph is more a subway related issue, and I don't wanna be pestered with a "take that to the subway section" mention.......

I never understood the logic of the B67 myself. Granted I don't know too much about the route but the shit they did to the route made 0 sense....

x29 should definitely come back. That cut made more people cram on the Coney Island x28s and often times I used to see a fully seated Coney Island bound x28 as compared to a Bensonhurst trip. The x29 wasn't that slow either, it beats taking the D, the F or the N to Coney Island from Manhattan....

M98...I also found that one to be an anomaly. The fact that a good 30%-40% of riders came from that section between 34th & 68th Streets speaks volumes. I would always see people passing up M101s for the M98s with good reason other than a guaranteed seat. The cut to 68th made no sense also.

For lack of a better term, it was BS (about the 67).... All of a sudden, the MTA is so interested in boosting ridership to a low ridershipped route...... There was no real reason to justify cutting 67 service to boost 69 service...... They could've left the B67 alone & still moved 69's along 7th av, etc..... That was my problem w/ that whole thing; moving it from 8th/PPW was never (my) issue......

Past West 5th, virtually no one used the route (29).... no need for em to..... Sea Gate x28's/38's doesn't really garner too much usage south of a certain area either; I'd say SB usage would start to die off at bay pkwy (more or less), and NB usage picks up around 25th av (short of UP depot)...... From my observations, x29 usage was uniform, meaning it didn't have a major stop along the route where masses of ppl. would pile on/off..... yep, it wasn't slow at all - I hated that stupid argument about x29's always being stuck at red lights along CI..... You (not literally you CS, but in general) mean to tell me that for years, the x29 was so notorious for catching red lights & people still opted to pay express bus fares to board the route & the MTA kept it around for as long as it did.... like really? GTFOH.......

Yup, I'd notice that too (about passing up the other 3rd/lex buses for the M98).... that's why I mentioned it being an alternative to the M101..... a good chunk of its riders took it south of hunter college, and contrary to belief, not everyone is seeking 125th st coming from the south - hell, matter fact, I remember seeing quite a crowd for the M98 at 125th itself..... Although I despise harlem river drive, I guess its daily riders figured, possibly getting stuck on the HRD would still be better off than having to put up w/ shooting across 125th the way the current 101 does.....

Past West 5th, virtually no one used the route (29).... no need for em to..... Sea Gate x28's/38's doesn't really garner too much usage south of a certain area either; I'd say SB usage would start to die off at bay pkwy (more or less), and NB usage picks up around 25th av (short of UP depot)...... From my observations, x29 usage was uniform, meaning it didn't have a major stop along the route where masses of ppl. would pile on/off..... yep, it wasn't slow at all - I hated that stupid argument about x29's always being stuck at red lights along CI..... You (not literally you CS, but in general) mean to tell me that for years, the x29 was so notorious for catching red lights & people still opted to pay express bus fares to board the route & the MTA kept it around for as long as it did.... like really? GTFOH.......

I can tell you right now, when I used to go to C.I with my fam, I decided to take the x29 myself and let them hop on the subway. Every time I was on that x29 vs my fam on the train, we'd always make it to Stillwell at least 15 minutes early....x29 usage did seem to be rather good either way...

Again, the Q36 along Little Neck Pkwy is fine. It's all we ever needed, maybe even too much. I'll have to wait and see how they schedule it, but there is no reason to leave the Q79 by itself and bring it back. The Q36 gives more links to other buses.

Bx34 however isn't coming back late nights

Bx25/Bx26 should be restored to previous route, or some form of all day Bx25/Bx26 service to give other sections of Co Op City more service to the (2) train. Looks like MTA wants people to go to the (6) train rather than go anywhere else.

The Bx14 IMO doesnt need to be revived, because people are happy the way the buses are.I think the Q74 bus should be rived and extended to Flushing to relieve overcrowding on some of the buses. Also the M98 cut made no sense at all. The route is completely useless now. Back to 34 street

Guys good job so far. Again Please let us please focus only on the bus lines that ran pre June 2010 that has not returned and was not part of the (MTA) so called "Service Investments"?

If possible, please no mention of Bus Proposal ideas not related to the now former routes. Guys for new route/service extensions you can comment on them in each thread for all (5) boros.

The X29 is a yes. As people have said (and I have seen) (B)s and (Q)s are being crushed because of residents west of the line, and the X29 could be a viable alternative

Archived