Which June 2010 bus cuts should be brought back now?

Shortline Bus

Back when they were doing construction on the Brighton was when x29 usage shot up..... I understand it'll never reach those levels again, but I do still think there is still a (significant enough) market for it.... Only thing is, I would not terminate it at stillwell/surf b/c anyone that's seeking public transportation in that area are doing so by way of the 36/74, 68, or the subway...... They could end it by the trump village apts (west 5th/neptune.... that area) if need be.....

Brooklyn (well overall, but especially), south of Midwood is growing.... The population is definitely there - which is why the amt. of pax on B's & Q's are increasing.... For a couple mos. now, which is (one reason) why I've decided to take the exp. bus as part of my morning commute as well, where I didn't before..... It's slowly getting to a point where I'm going to fully abandon the (B) in the mornings, just like I've done w/ the whole (2)-to-the- (1) commute I used to do years ago..... And since the dollar cabs don't go all the way to McDonald for the (F), to hell with considering that as an option - because I am NOT relying on the B35 to get to work !!

Sometimes I think too that (too many, if you ask me) patrons that live west of the brighton, are taking buses to the brighton - cramming up the brighton..... I know for a fact that's the case w/ the B82 - there are more ppl taking buses to the brighton moreso than to the culver & the sea beach.... to/from the west end, the B82 does get a lot of riders, I'll give it that...... But all this in this paragraph is more a subway related issue, and I don't wanna be pestered with a "take that to the subway section" mention.......

Now that I think about it, I think you've got a valid point. I just assumed that the (Q) trains I've used was more crowded due to subway work and the summertime, but using the line when it was cold it was rather crowded then too, so clearly something is going on and I would also agree with truncating the X29 by the condos because there is a market there. When you have co-ops and condos around, those are the kinds of folks that will use the express bus because they can afford it. In addition to that you have Coney Island which has started to gentrify to a degree and I could see an express bus down there picking up passengers for that reason as well. With this in mind, I think my next step will be to write to some representatives in those areas to see what sort of response they've received about bringing the X29 back and also try to push again for restoration of lost Saturday service on the BM3 for example. I do know for a fact at the Town Hall Meeting that a lady who lives along Emmons Avenue and lives in a condo was complaining about less BM3 service and how folks were leaving because they said there was a lack of transportation and the BM3 was mentioned in that. The restoration if possible of the X29 will take longer and I need to see how to approach this issue and also see what can be done about restoring the X28 down the road fully on the weekends.

I was a bit surprised when I wrote to Senator Golden about the X27 and X28 for example, to see so many people had contacted him about these two lines and bringing back weekend service, so you never know. I'm thinking if a group of representatives can get together like what happened with Senator Golden and Assemblyman Cymbrowitz that perhaps something can happen.

What Senator Golden and I discussed was tackling routes one by one since he had a lot of his plate but I think something can be done if I can see how much interest there is restoring these routes.

I can tell you right now, when I used to go to C.I with my fam, I decided to take the x29 myself and let them hop on the subway. Every time I was on that x29 vs my fam on the train, we'd always make it to Stillwell at least 15 minutes early....x29 usage did seem to be rather good either way...

Of course.....

Outside of the stupidity behind it, what was ironic about the red light argument was that we often caught green's along CI av..... Buses would MOVE along CI av b/w points where no one was getting off at a particular stop......rather rare to see a traffic hangup along CI av, even w/ the damn double parking trucks...... anyway, the SB buses, things would slow down a bit when it turned onto neptune - but never to the point where the whole route was compromised b/c of it......

B23: Cortelyou Rd crosstown should be restored for residents along Cortelyou Rd.

B37: Should be restored and extended to DUMBO during East River Ferry operation.

B51: Reinstate, revise B51 route.

City Hall-bound: Begins at B25 stop at DUMBO, stays on Cadman Plaza West to Court St, turn left at Livington St, turn left at Smith St, onto Jay St, right onto Tillary St onto Manhattan Bridge at Flatbush Av.

Brooklyn-bound: Regular B51 route to Tillary St, down Jay St to Smith St, turn right at Schermerhorn St, turn right at Boerum Pl, up Adams St to Tillary St, follow B25 to Dumbo Pier.

B51 bus will schedule to meet East River Ferry connection.

Q79: Reinstate.

During race days, extend Q79 to Belmont Park Racetrack.

- Although I liked the little engine that could (lol) that was the B23, Nothing (usage-wise) is going to improve by reverting it to the way it was..... it pretty much has to go on to serve at least some other market on top of it.....

- My thoughts on a B37 reversion... lol.... Sending it to DUMBO? still lol....

Bay ridge patrons will clamor for ferry service from manhattan to Bay ridge itself before you'll get riders to take the ferry to the 37 (or vice versa) enough to warrant bringing that route back !

- B51 extension to DUMBO? It's bad enough the 25 has to meander around those streets in that area.... you want to send 2 more bus routes up there? Yeah the area is growing, but my god, 3 bus routes running up there is just plain crazy......

- Q79 to belmont park on race days..... And this is gonna benefit what group of riders exactly ?

How would it even directly get to the racetrack from Jamaica av anyway......

* Q74 - I have heard stories where riders have resorted to taking the (7) to one of the flushing buses to queens coll. instead of the (E)/(F) to kew gdns for the 74...... that's pretty drastic a commuting change.... and if those same ppl. don't/didn't want to put up w/ the Q64, I do not blame them one bit......

What I am surprised at is the (seemingly) increase in usage the 88 has gotten at/towards queens coll......

I'm not all that familiar with Queens College and Kew Gardens, so I'm unsure what the service and commute were like for the students and riders altogether on the Q74. But if those stories are true, then definitely revive that route.

* x29 - its discontinuation pretty much forced express bus riders onto the BM's & the subway.... I still say the MTA did everything in its power to decrease ridership on this route.... Contrary to certain ppl's beliefs, the route wasn't that damn slow, and buses would get full at times......
That's one of the reasons why cutting that route was so terrible. In addition, you force X29 riders who dwell along or near Coney Island Avenue to take either the train or the unreliable B68. The X29 would be useful right now if residents desire to ride it because the (B) and (Q) are currently local throughout Midwood to Sheepshead Bay and Coney Island.

* M98 - this route has been bastardized; I would remember seeing buses crushloaded.... It's still used as an alternative to the M101 Ltd, but the route has lost riders that rode towards grand central, etc...... seriously, wtf @ hunter college area as a terminal......

I was never a big rider of the M98, but I did see a ton of ridership on it in Midtown. When I used to see it zip through 57th Street and stopping at both 50th and 60th Streets, the M98 would have plenty of riders boarding and exiting. A few times, I literally saw that bus packed to the grill.

All the x90 needed was a schedule reduction. The buses kinda ran too frequently

Blame the post-9/11 X90 and X92 bus routes and their combination of the headways for this. Previously, the X92 would terminate on Broad Street via Water Street, and the X90 would head to the World Trade Center via Tribeca and City Hall. After 9/11, the X90 and X92 would travel along the same streets, with the X90 continuing to loop around past Broad Street.

All the x90 needed was a schedule reduction. The buses kinda ran too frequently

Surely there's one strong spokesman (Gorgor) for the route here, so I don't need to say much about it.....

The route should've never gotten discontinued either, and I agree w/ your assessment regarding it......

The Bx14 IMO doesnt need to be revived, because people are happy the way the buses are.

Agreed.... The Bx4a serves Parkchester better than what the old 14 did.....

It comes more frequently & caters to areas they're trying to get to.....

The old 14 was nothing more than a bus route that came when it did... during that period b/w the time the 14 was discontinued & the creation of the 4a, there were a lot of people walking along Met. av..... I mean, you still have ppl. walking around over there, but it isn't near as much now with the 4a running...... IMO, even less than what was, when the 14 was still around.....

I don't know about some of the other buses, but I do know about the Q74. Ah yes, the bus my father used for commuting to Queens College for work. He used to go from the Q10 to the Q74. He would now have to go on the (unreliable) Q41 and transfer at Jamaica Terminal for a (crowded) Q20 or Q44 bus to Queens College. Otherwise he would need to pay two fares to get to Queens College (Q10, E or F, and Q65). No wonder he now drives a car instead of taking mass transit.

The Q74 should be restored, running all day on school days. It wouldn't be cost-effective or justifiable ridership-wise to run Q74's durring the summer. It is a glorified school bus, as it serves three high schools and one college. Since it is a glorified school bus, it won't have the highest ridership, but it is important from a public service standpoint.

I don't know about some of the other buses, but I do know about the Q74. Ah yes, the bus my father used for commuting to Queens College for work. He used to go from the Q10 to the Q74. He would now have to go on the (unreliable) Q41 and transfer at Jamaica Terminal for a (crowded) Q20 or Q44 bus to Queens College. Otherwise he would need to pay two fares to get to Queens College (Q10, E or F, and Q65). No wonder he now drives a car instead of taking mass transit.

The Q74 should be restored, running all day on school days. It wouldn't be cost-effective or justifiable ridership-wise to run Q74's durring the summer. It is a glorified school bus, as it serves three high schools and one college. Since it is a glorified school bus, it won't have the highest ridership, but it is important from a public service standpoint.

Students in colleges these days go to "Summer School" alot. Thus if you ran the Q74 it needs to run year round weekdays. IMO the only way the Q74 returns is as a merged route. Maybe the Q20b as example giving College Point/Flushing and Main St riders a direct bus to Kew Gardens.

yes areas along the old x 29 are growing, ? is can the new residents afford 5.50+ each way? i don't think so not in this economy. as for the x90 have u heard of the m15 sbs.

M15 SBS is requires a transfer to go anywhere crosstown (and pretty much every manhattan crosstown sucks royally or has pain in the ass delays), whereas the x90 went across downtown. All the X90 needed was service reduction.

M15 SBS is requires a transfer to go anywhere crosstown (and pretty much every manhattan crosstown sucks royally or has pain in the ass delays), whereas the x90 went across downtown. All the X90 needed was service reduction.

The one thing I would like to see in this forum is folks talking about bus routes (be it local or express) with some actual knowledge, which some have but others don't. Many of the comments launched at buses is out pure ignorance. Some folks have never used an express bus before for example, so they don't understand their function or purpose and just automatically say that they're useless. Folks should really look at bus routes more before commenting sometimes because they show that they no idea what some routes do or if they even run at certain times. Perfect example is the X90 vs the M15SBS... The two routes don't go to the same destination and most certainly the M15SBS is slower than the X90, so to say that the M15SBS is a true alternative to the X90 is just simply not true.

Furthermore, what is up with these constant questions about whether or not folks can afford $5.50? MetroNorth and the LIRR are both well over $5.50 per ride and I don't see anyone questioning if folks will use that or not due to cost, so I don't see the difference. I should point out that MetroNorth is seeing record ridership in the midst of a recession...

Regardless of what type of transportation it is, the fact is that people have to get around and we should encourage use of public transportation, so if the areas in question had subway service instead of express bus service or even MetroNorth or LIRR, would the same comments and questions be posed? I don't think they would. I guess the question is why? Unfortunately not all neighborhoods are suited for subway usage so bus service (local or express) has to be implemented and those areas can't just not be served because they don't have a subway.

My List:

Bx55: restored weekend service

B8: full-time service to 95th St/Bay Ridge (R) station

Bx26: restored to all Co-op City Sections. However, keep current Bx28/38 for quicker section 5 service (since Gun Hill is a more popular corridor than Allerton)

Students in colleges these days go to "Summer School" alot. Thus if you ran the Q74 it needs to run year round weekdays. IMO the only way the Q74 returns is as a merged route. Maybe the Q20b as example giving College Point/Flushing and Main St riders a direct bus to Kew Gardens.

That is definitely true about the "summer school." However, my experience with the Q74 is that it is much, much, MUCH more full during the school year than the summer. I remember being on full Q74's during the school year, but never during the summer. Therefore, I'm not convinced that the Q74 is feasable from a ridership standpoint during the summer (even though I wish it would be a year-round service).

I'm not convinced that merging the former Q74 with the Q20b will work. That Q20b is often quite crowded in Kew Gardens/Jamaica to begin with, and taking away that service from those areas will make the already crowded Q20a and Q44 even more crowded. I would be doubtful if the (MTA) merges the former Q74 route and the Q20b.

- Quite frankly, comparing the M15 to the x90 (or turning the x90 into a limited route) never made any iota of sense to me....

Not for nothin, but although I've grew annoyed of the express bus sackriding in the past, I'm also growing annoyed with the ignorance of express buses (which is why the express bus sackriding came to light in the first place).... If you don't know anything about express buses, simply don't mention them..... Not a hard concept....

- When we're talking about the areas the x29 served, the whole not being able to afford 5.50 a ride is a load of crap.....

If they can move into that part of brooklyn, surely they have more than 50-60 bucks a week to dedicate to public transportation......

I said this many times the Q74 needs to be brought back, at least during rush hours. There is still people after two years that think the Q74 still runs. And it helps students from Queens college Townsend Harris and other schools in the area get home and to the subway.

as for the x90 have u heard of the m15 sbs.

The M15 SBS and the X90 are two completely different routes with two completely different purposes.

The M15 Select travels down both 1st and 2nd Avenue, Allen Street, and Water Street with its southern terminal in South Ferry. At no point does it travel down York Avenue or the FDR Drive to get to Downtown Manhattan, which the X90 does. Furthermore, while it was fast earlier, it's still slower than the X90 because

a) people get both on AND off, whereas the X90 has specific pickup and drop-off locations during their peak hours.

B) the M15 local and Select never turn to the FDR Drive. They stop in the Lower East Side, Noho, Soho, and Chinatown.

Also, these SBS LFSAs get really crowded, and they're not designed for expresses like the MCIs.

The X90's specific purpose is to allow residents from Yorkville and Sutton Place to get to work and back in Downtown Manhattan, Wall Street, and the World Financial/Trade Center. It's a direct express to and fro the (western) downtown area. You can't do that with the M15 (both local and SBS); you're required a series of transfers just to get to the western portion to Downtown Manhattan, whether it's the M22, the M9 (if you have to head to City Hall like the pre-9/11 X90), the M5, or the M20.

Except the M9, each of these bus routes have had reputations of a lack of consistent reliability. When I used the M22, either the buses came all the time or they didn't come at all, even during rush hour. Furthermore, like all expresses, the X90 has specific places where you board and depart. You can't board on East 79th Street and York Avenue and exit at Sutton Place and East 59th/58th Street.

This is why the X90 should be reinstated. Unfortunately, I don't know if the collective voice or the local politicians are loud enough for the MTA to pay attention and have it revived—a total shame, if you ask me.

I don't see why it has to be MTA or nothing. I think some routes should be taken over by private entities, if they are deemed more expensive to operate than they are worth.

Staten Islanders that have gotten screwed over by private companies in the past would like to have a word with you......

Perhaps. But for the X90, I think they would've preferred something than nothing. The line was already cut, so it wasn't like they had much of a choice anyway. If a route (local or express) costs like over $25 per rider to operate, then the line is just a 'black hole' and needs to be 'amended' or cut.

Perhaps. But for the X90, I think they would've preferred something than nothing. The line was already cut, so it wasn't like they had much of a choice anyway. If a route (local or express) costs like over $25 per rider to operate, then the line is just a 'black hole' and needs to be 'amended' or cut.

The X90 cost something like $10 a passenger to operate in terms of direct operating costs, and $20 per passenger when you consider overhead.

restore B51 but change its manhattan routing it will not return to park row due to duplication it would become a canal street crosstown for links to the (1) & PATH at christopher st via west side hwy. New routing will garner more riders thus forcing a service boost.

B67 reverse cuts BUT reroute to cover B69's former part (if needed) however its extended to boro park via B16 routing as a result B16 is streamlined to stay on ft hamilton pkwy.

Restote X90 but kill off E55th and 23rd street stops streamline route. Have southbound enter fdr from E63rd entrance hane northbound leave at 34th. Its open door then study a way to gain new ridership via GWB or other ways like NW queens but DK If that is feasible it can bring easy access to yorkville from queens astoria part and elsewhere.

This is an attempt to get M98 going drastically increase service add 7-day service off-peak extended to copper union M35 loses off-peak service BUT SELECT or frequent off-peak M101 trips divert to randalls island via M35 routing

OR

extend M35 to GWB terminal via harlem river dr off peak to supplement M98 or full-time then obliterate M98. Either way service to GWB improves.

Like all express buses, the X90 cost more to operate than the revenue it took in, but if I remember correctly there were quite a few routes with higher operating costs that were spared from the cuts. (I thought it was $14 per passenger, but my memory could be wrong) But whatever the cost was, they could've easily cut down service to make it less costly.

I remember a while ago I found a page that listed the complete operating costs per passenger for every express bus route. Does anyone know where I can find that?

MTA Bus Routes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aha-LfXMlWNBdHd4QkhLRF92cURWNWdSbzNfSjJwWWc&hl=en#gid=2

NYCT routes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aha-LfXMlWNBdGplTGJUVm9oZ25DT3JLRWRjbzZkT2c#gid=1

Basically, the X90 was about 20% more expensive than the average NYCT express route, which isn't too bad. Like we talked about a while ago, with the right interlining, the costs could drop pretty low.

Archived